Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:11   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
This was published 30 mins ago. Cant wait to see how long before its taken down.

https://www.indiatimes.com/auto/curr...th-504834.html

And a very strongly worded article

"In both the cases, the fire started from the hood of the car, eventually engulfing the entire vehicle in flames. The difference in the cases lies in the makes of the vehicles. While the one in Mumbai was a diesel variant, Delhi report mentions a petrol DCT model catching fire.

This difference hints that the fires are not based on the fuel type or have anything to do with the engine. Instead, it can be assumed from the facts that the fires were caused by an electrical malfunction in the car.
"

Attaching the pdf copy of the article here; assuming the original article will soon be pulled off due to a legal issue

MG Hector Bursts Into Flames In The Middle Of The Road In Delhi; Second Such Case In A Month.pdf
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:29   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Also, why would the 'Authorised Signatory' of Turner Logistics sign on behalf of the customer?

The car is registered in "Turner Logistics" name, I'm assuming that official communication will be done and signed through them.
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:32   #93
BHPian

While off topic to Cars, I believe it is relevant given the almost 6 pages of China bashing, I am honestly aghast at this relentless "Chinese products bad" type rhetoric which is both incorrect and xenophobic.

We will happily consume a Nestle product, not knowing that it has as an entity caused the deaths of 1000's (more actually) infants in Africa, has despicable business practices to this very day but it is European, ergo good.

Hindustan Lever, now Unilever has through its bad practices poisoned an entire lake in Kodaikanal but we won't ever call it a terrible company (even if we are aware of this)

American, European, Japanese pretty much every big name corporate has had or continues to have terrible practices affecting consumers. The forum will hail VAG but then forget the fact that it literally cheated on Emission norms, cheating regulatory agencies, pushing out billions of dollars worth false propaganda on their 'low emission cars' and are known for their failures and yet we will go gaga over their products to this day.

China has moved on from the 80's when it was a source for cheap stuff and only cheap stuff. I have the privilege of working with Chinese partners, many in cutting edge (for India) fields and honestly, their personal work ethic and devotion would put many if not most Indians to shame (hello Jugaad culture). China is at the cutting edge of robotics, drone tech, 5g tech and that is just a start. While they might have reverse engineered their early fighter planes, they are one of a few handful of countries to have their own 5th Gen fighter program.

Yes, this is a problem, but we know nothing about the problem and while technical speculation is on par for a forum of our nature, empty "Chinese products lol bad" type comments are just baffling.

The top Chinese auto makers put out some 3-4 million cars every year (and not even talking about the likes of SAIC manufacturing VAG cars), and it is not like Chinese roads are some replication of Mad Max with cars just spontaneously combusting now do we?

We should demand answers, we should definitely spread the word, we should question nonsense like that letter from the dealer / customer which looks like it was done at gunpoint but let us desist from endless and mindless China bashing.

Thanks.
Stribog is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:41   #94
BHPian

Chinese media management at work. I would rather call it media manipulation. If an accessory fitted at company dealership can cause this fire, then onus is on MG to explain what exactly went wrong and not a pathetic generally worded letter from customer.
On an other note, with the impending Hector EV launch, this makes people think if just an accessory can cause such a fire, would Hector EV have been sufficiently tested to avoid such an issue?
Hope there are no such issues in future in India, else this might potentially turn out to be the Samsung Note battery issue flare up.
whencut86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:10   #95
BHPian

Even if you attach accessories in a company dealership the warranty remains safe so that means the people doing the attachments are trained professionals and any such attachment should not result in fire/short.
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:22   #96
BHPian

My only question is that why would an individual whose brand new car has caught fire, issue a press release? If my car would have caught fire, I would either keep it to myself, claim insurance, and take it up with company, or if I would want to say anything in public, then the last thing I would say is that my faith in the brand has got stronger, because accessories fitted at their authorised dealer gutted my car.

In other news, two more videos of MG hectors smoking:

Sanidhya mukund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
The car is registered in "Turner Logistics" name, I'm assuming that official communication will be done and signed through them.
Hmm, MG gives a clean chit to itself.

Spelling it out for others. An MG Hector catches fire. It was owned by MG itself.

When the issue gets raised on tbhp and social media, MG blames a dealer for shoddy aftermarket fitment and says it does not have a problem with itself and has 'furthered' confidence in itself.

This meme seems apt here.
Attached Thumbnails
The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-3my71n.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 23rd January 2020 at 16:27.
ashutoshb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:36   #98
BHPian

In other news, MG's PR team is failing to curb the media.
The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-screenshot_20200123163336_chrome.jpg
By far, they have been successful in curbing two major news outlets. One was financial express and the other was The Times of India.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:03   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
By far, they have been successful in curbing two major news outlets. One was financial express and the other was The Times of India.
I've been meaning to ask - isn't Team-BHP also susceptible to the same pressure that these muzzled media outlets have succumbed to? I don't know what the bogeyman bringeth (a legal "Cease & desist" order? Or a politician's visit to the office?), but I'm curious to know how (if at all) this forum can resist them.
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:09   #100
BHPian

I recently pre-booked MG ZS EV and while I was almost 90% certain to go ahead with the booking, This thread has been an eye-opener.

A sincere thanks to TeamBHP & its members to keep communication channels frank and honest.

Really looking forward for some clarification from MG now. Its high time they come up with some detailed explanation.
bornnerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:18   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
In other news, two more videos of MG hectors smoking
My apologies to the mods for making multiple posts. I missed Sanidhya's post.

These videos suggest that two fires are not isolated cases. Smoke is coming out from the engine bay from two other cars here. Maybe these guys got the same inflammatory horns.
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:26   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I've been meaning to ask - isn't Team-BHP also susceptible to the same pressure that these muzzled media outlets have succumbed to? I don't know what the bogeyman bringeth (a legal "Cease & desist" order? Or a politician's visit to the office?), but I'm curious to know how (if at all) this forum can resist them.
While threats can take various forms - legal is the easiest one to do, anyone could send a legit sounding piece of paper with legal mumbo-jumbo for a small fee - the real stick (or carrot) is almost always monetary.

Cue T-BHP 'Think Different' point#2: NO Industry Funding. That whole article by GTO is a fascinating read, because all of it is true, not PR hyperbole.

Manufacturers can't arm-twist us monetarily, and legal cases will bring the sort of spotlight and demands they don't want: having to defend themselves publicly and in court, which they'd like to avoid esp. in cases where they may be at fault.

It pays (not necessarily monetarily) to have principles!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd January 2020 at 17:32.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:47   #103
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Now they even removed the article from that url. It's erased completely. They are trying to erase all things negative from the internet, but still things are remaining here and there.

It's observed in the past, now it's being recorded.

This is what it shows now
Even that is gone now . The url now redirects to the homepage.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:01   #104
BHPian

MG - What have you done here ! I will not start the Chinese product quality debate, but the way the management is functioning resembles a lot like our neighbor philosophies. MG's strategies are certainly pulled out of the Beijing's propaganda handbook. Media blackouts, Threats, sweet talk by leaders are some of the tactics one can relate here.

My question is simple. Until unless there was a high ampere short circuit ( due to a bad accessory ) and the sparks were good enough to reach out to the fuel line, this kind of mishap is not possible. Did they tried to install hydrogen cylinders inside ..

The explanation from the owner is totally laughable. Must have got a good deal . Very soon there would be a new Hector standing in his garage.. The worse thing here is that they feel that we Indians are idiots and can be manipulated by these trickery.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th January 2020 at 10:33. Reason: Helium replaced by hydrogen
Roadster17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:04   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even that is gone now . The url now redirects to the homepage.
Neither shocked nor surprised, had seen many such instances so far since MG's entry in India especially in Facebook. This time it is not just being observed but recorded. They are like, wink and it's gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
MG - What have you done here ! I will not start the Chinese product quality debate, but the way the management is functioning resembles a lot like our neighbor philosophies. MG's strategies are certainly pulled out of the Beijing's propaganda handbook. Media blackouts, Threats, sweet talk by leaders are some of the tactics one can relate here.
+1 to that. But other Chinese companies are doing it clean in India, though they are not into selling cars.
Quote:
The worse thing here is that they feel that we Indians are idiots and can be manipulated by these trickery.
They had been successful so far.

Last edited by wheelguy : 23rd January 2020 at 18:09.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks