Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 10:41   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Since the car and it's monthly sales data was published, I have been wondering how people are so confidently putting 20L on a rebadged Baojun 530. Anyone who took my opinion on this car was promptly asked to wait for an year and then decide. Some of them bought other cars, some are waiting. I hope this is something actually related to the accessories and not the car itself.
Well, most of the people on this forum bought the car after reading the Team BHP review, which was fairly positive for the diesel variant. A good family cruiser. That was good enough for me to put my money, with the features and the space adding to it to make a potent value for money offering.

The engine bay looks pretty neat to be honest, and so does the footwell under the steering wheel. No loose wires or potential fire hazards.

The one thing I'm thinking about is the plethora of wires connecting to the touchscreen infotainment system tab. I'll probably go and get it opened up and checked if that could potentially be at risk for any short circuit or high flammable substances.

And the other thing is the insulation for sound deadening. How much of it has been used and the locations. Some insulation material is known to be highly flammable.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2020 at 15:37. Reason: Deleted off-topic bit.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 15:06   #122
BHPian

Quote:
And the other thing is the insulation for sound deadening. How much of it has been used and the locations. Some insulation material is known to be highly flammable....
I don't think a company like MG would have used such a highly flammable insulation material in a car?

If they have used such a highly flammable insulation material, its a big mistake and they could have used acoustic insulation materials which are having good fire rating.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2020 at 15:46. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Sreejith V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 15:22   #123
BHPian

I am really impressed by the way MG is handling the situation of the fire incidents like
1) Copyright striking anybody who shares anything bad about their cars or threatening them with 'legal' action.
2) A nice printed letter from the 'Customer' on how his Hector went up in flames and how he was on the verge of losing his life, but he was satisfied with how MG has handled everything! No reason to doubt them!
3) Blame the 3rd party even though he just sells their cars and has nothing do with in relation to the production of vehicle.
This is how some companies aspire to be! Not even a hint of bad experiences to the gullible customers is a great achievement . I hope Tata does the same so we wouldn't have to see negative comments about their cars.

Okay, Sarcasm aside I wouldn't dream of Tata doing such things because it is a well known company who respects it's customers. The way MG is handling the bad rep is scary. As much as you can bury the truth, one day it eventually comes out.

Last edited by SDP : 24th January 2020 at 15:43. Reason: Minor typo
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 15:40   #124
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Folks, please stick to thread topic. Thanks.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 17:21   #125
BHPian

MG hector owner issues a formal statement to clarify the reason for MG Hector incident.
Source: https://news.maxabout.com/cars/mg-mo...ht-fire-delhi/
Attached Thumbnails
The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-mghectorfireownerstatement.jpg  

Old 24th January 2020, 17:29   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Well, most of the people on this forum bought the car after reading the Team BHP review, which was fairly positive for the diesel variant. A good family cruiser. That was good enough for me to put my money, with the features and the space adding to it to make a potent value for money offering.
Agreed that Team bhp was fairly positive with the review of the car. However, as a principle one should always avoid a new car ( that too from a new company with not so great global presence) at least for 12-18 months. This is the time when issues /niggles gets ironed out. People who still get sucked are taking a RISK. No two ways around it. Same cannot be said for Kia, as it has a very visible and strong global presence and Hyundai's backing. So, my friend praise your stars as you were not served a lemon from MG.

The product in itself might be alright and also the after market accessories might be the reason as well. However, the way everything is handled by MG raises some serious eyebrows. Media embargo and threats are used by organizations which has something to hide. For me as a customer, MG is out of radar now.

Companies which take its customers for granted becomes obsolete soon.
Old 24th January 2020, 17:46   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
For me as a customer, MG is out of radar now.
Companies which take its customers for granted becomes obsolete soon.
I agree. Their approach hasn't exactly been the best possible one, especially during a crisis.

As a customer and owner, my experience has been nothing short of fantastic. I've already clocked over 2k kms and I'm pretty happy with my diesel variant.

Majority of the owners are pretty happy. With the car and the ownership experience. And that's the point. They aren't really taking the customer for granted. They're going all out to woo and take care of them. I had happened to share an incident where the SA I know was sent from Delhi to Meerut because a owner was facing some issues with his iSmart infotainment. There are more stories on the Facebook Forum about roadside assistance for something as simple as running out of fuel.

It's actually two extremes. One end they're doing all that should be done and more for a buyer, and on the other end, they're twisting facts and manipulating the media. It puts me in a quandary at times.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 19:21   #128
BHPian

I don’t understand why people are criticizing the owner? If I purchase a car and it has a major defect after a month like engine or transmission failure or a fire, what would I want? All I would reasonably want is complete repair or better yet a brand new vehicle. If the company, for whatever reason, offered me a full refund or a brand new vehicle and perhaps even included some bonus for compensation then why won’t I be delighted and why would my confidence not increase in the company? We have seen threads where people have fought for years for a replacement.
This is not to defend any inferior workmanship but what else should a customer have done? The customer has no enemity with the brand and is likely to be genuinely happy to get a prompt replacement.
Lobogris is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 19:28   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I agree. Their approach hasn't exactly been the best possible one, especially during a crisis.

As a customer and owner, my experience has been nothing short of fantastic. I've already clocked over 2k kms and I'm pretty happy with my diesel variant.

It's actually two extremes. One end they're doing all that should be done and more for a buyer, and on the other end, they're twisting facts and manipulating the media. It puts me in a quandary at times.
Great to know you are enjoying the car. The Hector always attracted me since its launch and along with the Harrier keeps tempting me .

I look forward to an ownership review from you, if you have not written one already.

By the way I am still not convinced that there is something wrong with the car which led to these incidents. Owners who mess up with the car do not exactly reveal what they had done if something goes wrong, but will silently look to pass the buck. Since customer is king, they will have support from all directions.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 20:08   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
This is not to defend any inferior workmanship but what else should a customer have done? The customer has no enemity with the brand and is likely to be genuinely happy to get a prompt replacement.
Agreed Sir! The owner did what any other customer would actually want.

The business of publishing a letter which drips of " coercion" is the problem here. Had it been done silently, media not embargoed, and there was a fair investigation done, there would not have been such hue and cry.
Roadster17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 08:52   #131
Senior - BHPian

There was a VW Vento that burst into flames in Pune, trapping its owner inside. I did not hear so much negativity about VW in regards the design or manufacturing.
Companies like MSIL have taken their customers for granted in terms of safety for so many years . Last I read, they are the number one automotive company in the subcontinent.
Honda, Toyota have been plagued by Takata airbag failures. Yet they are the epitome of quality in the eyes of the general public.
So I dont know why is there such a bias against MG based on what may be just one off cases.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 25th January 2020 at 08:58.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 09:11   #132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
There was a VW Vento that burst into flames in Pune, trapping its owner inside. I did not hear so much negativity about VW in regards the design or manufacturing.
Companies like MSIL have taken their customers for granted in terms of safety for so many years . Last I read, they are the number one automotive company in the subcontinent.
Honda, Toyota have been plagued by Takata airbag failures. Yet they are the epitome of quality in the eyes of the general public.
So I dont know why is there such a bias against MG based on what may be just one off cases.
People wouldn't have talked about the MG too if they didn't try to blackout media, if they didn't try to be manipulative.

As someone mentioned about Streisand Effect, their actions are resulting in that:
Quote:
The Streisand effect is a phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. It is an example of psychological reactance, wherein once people are aware that some information is being kept from them, their motivation to access and spread it is increased.
PS: I noticed them trying to hide the negative info, my curiosity about it increased, and finally things panned out just as mentioned in the above paragraph, Streisand effect!

Last edited by wheelguy : 25th January 2020 at 09:19.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 09:17   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post

Thats a fair point. I remember this Vento incident in which the driver lost his life. I had a Rapid at that time and I was quite concerned. And I wrote emails to Skoda but there was absolutely no acknowledgement of the incident.
And we have our very own thread in team bhp which talks about cars catching fire, and you have a lot of cars, across many brands, with such incidents.

Sure, I understand the quick reaction on Hector and then folks trying to connect this with the Chinese angle, but we will have to surely wait and watch to see if there are genuine concerns with the Hector.
Old 25th January 2020, 14:56   #134
BHPian

I was of the opinion that this is a case of some 3rd party accessory being fitted that may be the cause but interestingly when i read the same being mentioned by Turner logistics it started to bother me.

To begin with, nobody no matter how convinced by the MG service and support would put out such a statement on their own simply because they themselves are in no position to pass judgment on the cause of the fire. In fact the statement itself only goes on to mention a probable cause. A statement from MG or Turner adds no value at this point. What matters is an absolute clarity on the cause which can only be determined after a proper investigation of the two cases. All MG had to do was give out a statement that they are aware of the incidents and have a team that is investigating the same. Of course, other manufacturers would lap it up and use it in their sales pitch.

I would like to add that bashing the manufacturer based on their nationality is just naive and irrelevant to the real issue. Two instances in a car thats being selling in buckets is still a small number to pass judgement. It is important to identify the cause, especially for those who have put faith in MG and purchased their cars. Some of them are in our group. I urge them to ask the right questions to the service advisors and share it with us. If there is a cause for concern, the service centres will know about any silent recalls or memos being passed around.
Old 25th January 2020, 17:40   #135
BANNED

This:

The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-screenshot_20200125-mg-hector-fire-google-search.png

And then this: https://www.amarujala.com/photo-gall...ctor-fire-news

The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire-screenshot_20200125-404-page-not-found.png

They are still doing it wherever it is possible.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks