Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:28   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2019 Tata Tiago facelift in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestyi10 View Post
It could also be for the instantaneous FE.
Also, the tachometer is marked till 4000rpm. How is this possible?
Of course - the quote in the original post also mentions "real time fuel efficiency bar" already. I just didn't quite understand the purpose of a mid-marker for an FE bar but. Thats why I thought it might be a temperature gauge.

However, now I see that there is a white thermometer icon on top right in addition to the red high engine temperature light in the central area. So perhaps there is a temperature gauge on top right. But then where is it's progressive marking I wonder...

As for the tacho - I think it has still further clicks to traverse above 4 that are not yet illuminated in this picture. 1 line above 4 already visible means 5. There will probably be a proper 6 & another line without number for 7 to red line it.

Or - this might be a diesel with end at 5k rpm. Which then is again interesting since the expectation was that the 1 liter Revotorq diesel in the small hatches was slated to be discontinued come BS6 norms.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:01   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2020 Tata Tiago digital instrument console
AAaaannd we are back to the 80s.

Seriously if they want to do away with the analogue ones and give modern digital displays. Sure, welcome.

But please make it a bit classy or easy to the eye.

This one is just cheesy and looks like a half hearted attempt.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:10   #63
BHPian

I personally prefer an analog tachometer paired with a digital speedometer in the MID. The sight of that tacho needle dancing about is so satisfying and cannot be matched by any digital gauge. But yeah, in this day and age, LCD screens seem to be the way to go, and a display with navigation prompts right in the instrument cluster, would be welcome.

Since this new unit seems to have a fairly large screen real-estate, I hope it is utilised properly to display as much information as possible, at-a-glance. And yeah, I kind of like the design and the way it looks.
Old 2nd August 2019, 23:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1901537

Link
From the OEM's perspective, a digital readout is cheaper to source. Quite a lot cheaper in fact. There are no physical moving parts, (read that as the good old Speedo & tacho needles), and the peripheral child parts associated with it.
And the "bling" factor is high. Marketing teams will go into overdrive and coin phrase like "space age instruments" blah-blah.

This was the same logic that spurred Renault to adopt a digital cluster for the KWID. That it was a segment first was a bonus and the feature quickly became a major selling point on showroom floors.

Digital readouts are nice, if tastefully executed, but my personal feeling is that they work better when they display parameters that do not fluctuate / change values rapidly. For example: a digital fuel gauge or a coolant temperature gauge is alright - the frequency of the values changing is long, hence the digital readout increases or decreases over a length of time.
In a speedo or a tacho with a digital readout, the continuous changing display numbers, start to get irritating after the initial "novelty" value wears off.
Also, again from a personal experience, when driving down a darkened highway, I would always prefer the gentle sweep of analogue needles rather than seeing "marching numbers" in front of my eyes.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 20:52   #65
BHPian

One thought that came across my mind.

Suzuki can afford to ditch their diesel units in their hatchbacks as their petrols are great and also they have multiple petrol options ( 90hp dualjet hybrid and the familiar 83 HP unit ), but Tiago 3 cylinder naturally aspirated unit is not in anyway a scorcher.

I have seen a considerable amount of diesel tiagos in my district ( about 30-35% of tiagos I see are diesels ) and taxi tigors/Tiagos are 100% diesels.

Now this would be okay if the JTP was an actual variant in the Tiago lineup because it really is POWERFUL ( best car south of 10 lacs, no arguments about that ) but it is sold as a separate car and handled by dedicated JTP teams.

Again, they could be forgiven if their engine is super refined ( like Hyundai petrols ), but they are not as refined. So what are their plans for the future of the Tiago? Will they offer slightly reworked Revotron for future Tiagos? Anyone have any thoughts? Especially considering Hyundai will not ditch the diesel in their i10 ( that is as far as I know, I don't know about any new information ).

Last edited by SaiSW : 14th August 2019 at 20:56.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Where its not good is the engine refinement. The engine has a throaty note to it and the refinement levels are no match for Hyundai's VTVT or Maruti's K12M motors. Ofcourse, having a balancer shafts irons out some vibrations of the 3 cylinder motor, but there are some vibrations felt in lower speeds specially in 2nd gear.
Exactly, I think Hyundai's (4 cylinder petrol) engine refinement is top in that segment, when idling one may not realize if the car's ignition is on or not (I'm pretty sure some owners had double cranked engine feeling the ignition is turned off, refinement is that good). Hyundai wins hands down.

Talking about diesel, Tiago has same 3 cylinder 1047 CC revotorq diesel engine as tigor, it's under powered, no doubt about that but it's quite fuel efficient if driven sedately. Refinement is not great but not that bad either. Having said that, one is compromising on refinement level at the same time saving considerable amount of money while buying an equally competent product from Desi manufacturer
gjnnbagal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 16:21   #67
BHPian

The new digital instrument cluster looks good in my opinion. Plus it can be marketed as a perceived premium feature. Even I thought the bars displayed below the speed are for temperature before spotting the symbol in the top right corner. So most probably it is the instantaneous fuel economy. I personally do not find it much useful.

I don't think the petrol engine will be changed or will get a major power bump. The masses are content with what if offers and they constitute majority of the buyers so Tata won't be too keen on changing it. Upgrading to a better engine will drive the costs up which will only dent the sales further. On paper figures of the engine are good which many buyers consider rather than actual performance.

As far as I know the Revotorq diesel engine won't be upgraded to BS6. So I am not sure if it will make through in the facelift.
Old 8th September 2019, 12:40   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Well, now i really wish they retain the same twin pod cluster for at least tigor facelift and an intuitive colour mid like in baleno would be a nice touch. That's old school perhaps but certainly suits car's character.
Old 11th September 2019, 17:10   #69
BHPian

Spotted this camouflaged Tiago yesterday in Kalewadi, Pune. Sorry for the quality of image as I clicked it with my mobile.
It was base or middle version as it was not having the touch screen ICE. It was either having alloys similar to Tigor or steel rims with wheel caps similar to Nexon, not sure as I had a very brief look at them.
It was having rear parking sensors as well as rear camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago & Tigor facelift launched at Rs 4.6 lakh & 5.75 lakh-img_20190910_182000025.jpg  

Deepsp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 13:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Top-end Tiago, Tigor could get digital instrument cluster

According to a leaked image, only the top variants of the Tiago and Tigor are likely to get the new digital instrument cluster, replacing the twin-pod analogue unit.

Tata Tiago & Tigor facelift launched at Rs 4.6 lakh & 5.75 lakh-whatsapp-image-20190930-9.07.31-am.jpeg

The new instrument cluster is expected to be introduced on the XZ+ and XZA+ variants of both models in the days to come.

The new instrument cluster consists of a digital speedometer with the fuel gauge on one side and tachometer on the other. It is also likely to have a digital clock, door ajar warning, key reminder and distance to empty indicator.

The Tiago and Tigor are powered by a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produces 84 BHP and 114 Nm of torque and a 1.05-litre, 3-cylinder diesel that puts out 69 BHP and 140 Nm of torque. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and 5-speed AMT.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th September 2019 at 13:56.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 13:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

TATA website has already been updated with the digital instrument cluster.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago & Tigor facelift launched at Rs 4.6 lakh & 5.75 lakh-tata_interior_tigor.png  

AlphaKilo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 14:31   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsp View Post
It was base or middle version as it was not having the touch screen ICE.
Can't be. It has a rear wash+wiper. Thats generally not on base/middle variants of hatchbacks in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a leaked image, only the top variants of the Tiago and Tigor are likely to get the new digital instrument cluster, replacing the twin-pod analogue unit.
If we look at the trends so far, this would mean that the Nexon facelift will come with this digital unit too! So far the console in Tiago has been finding its way into the Nexon always. Thats a bummer if true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
TATA website has already been updated with the digital instrument cluster.
Indeed! So a silent launch imminent by Dussehra perhaps. Seems to have a larger touch screen unit & auto-climate control AC.
And how does one that open that glove-box!! There is no visible latch/button for that.
Old 30th September 2019, 20:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Cost cutting is the order of the day. And alongwith that if the perceived value of the feature set gets a leg-up in the eyes of the customer, it's the proverbial icing on the cake.
Digital cluster was first implemented in the KWID. By eliminating an analogue setup, Renault simplified the cluster design into one modular unit containing all tell-tale warning lamps including the speedometer and odometer. Peripheral child parts and other items associated with an analogue needle setup were also eliminated.
But the coup d'etat was, the feature it was peddled by Sales & Marketing as an USP as, indeed, KWID, was the first A-segment vehicle to sport a digital cluster, and potential buyers lapped it up!

Even BMW has been bitten by this bug it seems. The latest 3-series have ditched the classic twin pod setup.

Personally, me being an oldie, love an analogue setup. The gentle sweep of the needles arcing across the dial, as the revs rise and fall, somehow seem to make the vehicle feel more connected to the user. Also, again a purely personal viewpoint, somehow I feel the "at-a-glance" read of the vital statistics in a cluster is much easier, especially at high speeds, in an analogue cluster setup, rather than the fluctuating digits in a non-analogue instrument cluster.

Anyways , to each his / her own. Am sure the new refreshed interiors of the Tiago will soon find it's fan following.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 07:48   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And how does one that open that glove-box!! There is no visible latch/button for that.
There is. There is a push button just like in your nexon, just that in the nexon, it is more visible since it is piano-something material finished on and around the button.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:40   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
There is. There is a push button just like in your nexon, just that in the nexon, it is more visible since it is piano-something material finished on and around the button.
I know, I meant to say it seems to be missed in the CG image in the website picture. The artist may be missed adding it is what I meant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks