Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 11:02   #1
BANNED

India's national diesel engine production has stopped! R.I.P. Fiat 1.3L MJD

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) has discontinued its tried-and-tested 1.3-litre diesel mill ahead of BS6-implementation. End of an era.

India's national diesel engine production has stopped! R.I.P. Fiat 1.3L MJD-fiat13literdieselengineproductionends.jpg

Quote:
On 23rd January 2020, Fiat kept its word and the legendary engine saw its last unit — #810829 — roll out from FCA’s manufacturing facility in Ranjangaon, Pune. Sameer Ajgaonkar who works at the plant shared on Facebook that the 1.3-litre MJD had “directly and indirectly supported thousands of families” and helped in creating many employment opportunities. Total production stood at 9,60,719.

He also praised the engine’s excellent design which makes it easy to manufacture, fit and repair while boasting of excellent fuel efficiency and class-leading durability. The 1.3-litre MJD was effortlessly tunable and a good tuner or remap module could easily bring out amazing results without hindering the motor’s life.

It is safe to say to that more than half the diesel engines running on Indian roads at present, employ the 1.3-litre SDE MJD. ‘SDE MJD’ stands for ‘Small Diesel Engine – Multi-Jet Direct injection’ and comes under Fiat’s common-rail diesel range known as JTD (Jet Turbo Diesel).

If you are not familiar with the nomenclature, ‘SDE MJD’, names such as Quadrajet (Tata Motors), Duratorq TDCi (Ford) and of course, DDiS (Maruti Suzuki) might ring a bell. For the last Fiat India products, the engine came as the ‘Multijet II’. Outside the Indian market, the engine was popular among the likes of Chevrolet, Citroen, Lancia, Opel, Suzuki and Peugeot.
Of course, the base 1.3-litre SDE MJD was not a direct fitment into various products (especially hatchbacks and small sedans) from the brand’s mentioned above. Instead, manufacturers worked over the original design to create their own engine characteristics. The changes were done mostly to the pressure of the common-rail injection system, turbocharger, timing system, camshafts, etc.

In its most popular 1,248cc DDiS avatar that has served in multiple Maruti Suzuki products over the years, the SDE MJD made around 74-90bhp and 190-200Nm of torque. The engine was usually seen coupled to a 5-speed manual, but a few torque-converter and AMT units were also employed alongside. Popular cars using this engine over the years are Maruti Swift, Baleno, Dzire, Ciaz, Ertiga, Brezza; Tata Bolt, Zest, Indica, Indigo; Fiat Punto, Linea and others.
Source

Last edited by wheelguy : 24th January 2020 at 11:05.
wheelguy is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:42   #2
BHPian

re: India's national diesel engine production has stopped! R.I.P. Fiat 1.3L MJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) has discontinued its tried-and-tested 1.3-litre diesel mill ahead of BS6-implementation. End of an era.
Quote:
If you are not familiar with the nomenclature, ‘SDE MJD’, names such as Quadrajet (Tata Motors), Duratorq TDCi (Ford) and of course, DDiS (Maruti Suzuki) might ring a bell.
Source
Seems the source has incorrectly put Ford TDCi too into the list of nomenclatures of 1.3 multijet. Ford did not source engines from FCA.
shipnil is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:52   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Seems the source has incorrectly put Ford TDCi too into the list of nomenclatures of 1.3 multijet. Ford did not source engines from FCA.
Not by mistake, Ford actually used 1.3MJD in Ford Ka!

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:
Quote:
In January 2008, Tata Motors introduced the new Indica Vista model, which features new Quadrajet branded version of this engine. The second generation Ford Ka uses 1.3 Multijet named as Duratorq TDCi. In GM nomenclature, it is called Small Diesel Engine (SDE).
wheelguy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember vividly that the Chevrolet Beat's diesel engine was derived from the 1.3 MJD as well; Chevrolet did some re-designing in order to shoe-horn it into the Beat's engine bay though.

Let's all stand up and observe a moment of silence for this engine. It has done a lot for us.
locusjag is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

End of an era, almost a million of them on our roads. This engine helped Fiat India business all this time a lot. Now 2.0MJD is being used by a few manufacturers but the volume is a tiny fraction compared to what 1.3 used to do.

Can we see Ford taking up this place by any chance? Their 1.5TDCi is pretty capable as well. Its even more powerful, fun to drive & equally frugal. And going by ecosport's pricing its not too expensive compared to its BS-IV counterpart as well.

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th January 2020 at 12:05.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:14   #6
BHPian

End of an era. This engine is an absolute gem.

Pros

1. Reliability - Could easily do 2lac without a major breakdown.

2. Strong mid- range - Pulls amazingly in the mid range.

3. Abuse friendly

4. Easy parts availability - Even if the production has stopped the parts will still be available for over a decade. Imagine how many 1.3 MJD cars are on road. The production of spares will be there like forever.

5. Torque - In it's higher tuned state, it offers good torque for its size.

6. FE - Do I need to even say anything about it's FE.

Cons

1. Lazy - It has massive turbo lag under 2000rpm and then a sudden surge of power is felt.

2. Higher band performance - It runs out of breath in higher band range.

It is an absolute workhorse of an engine and would easily last over a decade or even more. National engine of India will be missed.
uditsharma01 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:26   #7
BHPian

The engine that gave the common man, thrills that were exclusive to the higher class. Clubbed along with the super agile 1st gen swift, it was a match made in heaven. Reliable, fuel efficient, powerful, smooth and state of the art- what an engine ! Still can't express the feeling that I got when I tasted the engine for the first time in Swift DDIS. Surprised, scared and elated !

Thank you Fiat ! 1.3 MJD will be missed.
xjosephjacob is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

I remember the first time I drove a Swift DDiS when it hit the showrooms.

That was the first time I had experienced a turbo kick and in turn giving you a rush. Back then it was a big deal having a Swift diesel , just because of that sudden push when the engine is in its max torque range.

If not for MSIL, this engine wouldn't have reached cult status.

Last edited by tharian : 24th January 2020 at 12:55.
tharian is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:36   #9
BHPian

As far as i can recollect, Mr Sameer Ajgaonkar is our very own Tbhpian TURBOSAM from Pune, An avid rider and a total 'Engine Guy'.
coriollis is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
The national engine of India is no more...

At one point of time every other car ran on diesel and was likely the trusted Fiat 1.3 diesel mill.

Having owned and extensively driven one over 10 years and ~1.5 lakh kms, can say that this was truly a gem of an engine and rewrote the history of diesel engines for India. If it weren't for the rising price of diesel, this engine would have sold in even greater number.
varunsangal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:48   #11
BHPian

Tell me about it. Two cars, over 2 lakh Kms later, I can only sing paeans about this engine. It had two different characters in each of the car.

Mated to a car that was light weight, agile, with a good chassis and slick shifting gearbox with a good tuning the car was awesome to drive. Better still, once remapped, the engine was even more fun with almost no turbo lag.

Mated to a car that is heavy, not very agile, good chassis, a bad gearbox, the car was cumbersome to drive. There was no option but to remap. Even then it was not as fun to drive as the previous car.

Am talking about my Swift and Punto.

The engine will be missed, but we have to move on, times change.
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Along with the 1.3 MJD, we will also lose the 1.5 K9K Dci next year as Renault plans to go ahead with the "Petrol only" option. Both the engines have been frugal, fuel-efficient and reliable. Sad to see the two iconic workhorses dying away.
I had a 2010 Swift Diesel Vdi and boy o boy, the Turbo kick was addictive. FPT needs to be appreciated for bringing out such a master blaster, at a time when there were hardly any good options in terms of refined Diesel engines.
The 1.3 would sorely be missed, Big Time, surely deserves a standing Ovation.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Maruti made 'The Car' accessible to the masses

The '1.3' made 'The Engine' accessible to the Nation!
svsantosh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 13:33   #14
BHPian

With the BS6, then BS7 and so forth, I guess we will keep seeing RIP threads for the diesel engines. And may be by the next generation we will have them for petrols.
It is a sad feeling to see an era of IC engines that lasted for a century coming to an end.
Coming generation will never know the fun of a diesel turbo kicking in, redlining a petrol and shifting to the next gear, twisting the throttle and listening to the melodious tune of a large single thumper or of a twin rumble or the sweet sweet sound of an inline 4.
I consider myself lucky to just be the last generation to have experienced the joys of IC engines.
ishan12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 14:00   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

In a way a revolutionary engine this one. Hardly anybody could design one that could belt out 90PS/200Nm in a mere 1248 cc displacement. They named it 1.3 but basic mathematical rules it rounds to a 1.2 infact . (I know engines round to the next decimal.)

So amazing is/was the design that most car makers found it cheaper to buy it at a royalty price rather than own R&D! In a way - this engine caused a total shutdown of diesel engine development for over a decade! Only recently did new 1.5L engines bloom again.

Power-torque-mileage AND bullet proof reliability. This combination will rarely be repeated again. No wonder its used in cabs that run millions of kilometers with virtually no rest across multiple shift & drivers!

Happy to have driven this engine for almost a decade in the Quadrajet75 guise (even with its somewhat frustrating turbo lag). Thanks Fiat!
Goodbye MJD-SDE & (the versions of cars you power - Zest, Bolt, New and old DZire, Swift, Baleno, Brezza, Punto, Linea and so on...Wow the list has already shrunken so much over last couple of years.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 24th January 2020 at 14:07.
Reinhard is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks