Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 08:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: India's national diesel engine production has stopped! R.I.P. Fiat 1.3L MJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
My Swift still throws a thick black smoke & weird smell during the early morning start-ups. Any idea what could be the issue here?
To get the best results it's always desirable to dismantle the EGR and clean it separately. I do it unfailingly every 20,000 kms in my Vista quadrajet (which uses the same engine) .

Also keep an eye on the diesel filter, and keeping in mind our indian operating conditions, its good if you can replace that every 20,000 kms as well.

"Weird smell" , I am guessing is emanating from the DOC, (diesel oxidation catalyst) which may have clogged up. Instead of replacing it , I suggest you approach your friendly mechanic, open up the entire exhaust system, (from manifold to tail muffler), blow compressed air through the pipes to clean as much soot as possible and re-fit.

Am sure you will get perceptible levels of improvement in vehicle performance once you have done all these.

Best....,
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 10:32   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
To get the best results it's always desirable to dismantle the EGR and clean it separately. I do it unfailingly every 20,000 kms in my Vista quadrajet (which uses the same engine) .
Thanks arjab for the detailed reply. I have never cleaned the EGR by physically removing it, as I don’t think the MARUTI ASC ever does that. I will get it checked from my regular mechanic outside.
With regards to the diesel filter, I make it a point to change it as per the scheduled maintenance.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 10:01   #78
BANNED

Maruti stops production of Diesel variants of Swift, DZire and Baleno

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-suzuki...pped-in-india/

"The 1.3-litre DDiS diesel engine had been extensively employed within the company’s domestic range over the last several years. The production of the same engine powering the Swift, Baleno and Dzire has been stopped."
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 10:04   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

Also keep an eye on the diesel filter, and keeping in mind our indian operating conditions, its good if you can replace that every 20,000 kms as well.
Totally agree with you on the part of EGR valve cleaning, I've been getting done this exercise for my 2nd Gen swift DDIS every 30k Kms. Currently, odometer stands at 1.65 lac Kms after 8 years.

At around 1.55lac Km, I did have faced engine overheating issue as radiator fan stopped working, which was being fixed at MSIL service center in Pune. In order to address the concern issue, following parts were changed:
  1. Engine head rebuild on lathe machine (as told by service advisor),
  2. Radiator fan replacement,
  3. Thermostat replacement (due to corrosion),
  4. Fresh Coolant (as it was burnt),
  5. Injectors were cleaned.

Post that car drove really well, with no smoke during hard acceleration or in case of cold start, but I can see that fuel efficiency dropped by atleast 2 Kmpl. All in all, it's a great engine to live with and never ever troubled me on my roadtrips across 15 states of India.

Last edited by Aniruddha_Ch : 25th March 2020 at 10:07. Reason: Grammar & punctuation
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 23:43   #80
BHPian

Fantastic article on the Fiat Multijet by ACI. It mentions that a whopping 30 lakh cars were powered by the Fiat motor. Absolutely staggering.

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...-engine-416690
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed