Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 20:02   #31
BHPian

Re: India's national diesel engine production has stopped! R.I.P. Fiat 1.3L MJD

20 kmpl. A dream come true for a solo tourer like me. ��

The power, oh gawd! I still ride a Ritz Vdi and keep showing off the goods to my friends. I am glad I would know what I feels like to ride this legend.

And that mid-range OMG, gives me orgasm. 80-100 kmph is the sweet spot of our highways and that exactly is the sweetspot of this mill. It pulls the best at 100 kmph I feel :P

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2020 at 23:06. Reason: Typos.
Shashank.A is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 21:10   #32
BHPian

Sad that our national engine had to see an end. Terrific performer, as mentioned by our team-bhp members. Have driven in my two past cars, my Dzire zdi (second generation, 2012), My Vitara Brezza ZDI+, and most importantly my present drive, again a Vitara Brezza ZDI+ AGS. I hope to have it for few more years.

loved it, revved it, enjoyed it.
smileline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 21:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When it arrived in 2007 (ironically in a Maruti, not a Fiat),
Is that so? I believe it was introduced in India with the Palio Stile. My Stile is 2008 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
- Palio (can someone confirm this?)

Yes. As mentioned, Palio Stile SDE and SDX.

Regards,

Last edited by Anwesh : 24th January 2020 at 21:34.
Anwesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 23:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) has discontinued its tried-and-tested 1.3-litre diesel mill ahead of BS6-implementation. End of an era.
As they say.. all good things come to an end. What an engine this has been!! Having owned 2 generations of the Swift (2007 and presently the 2011), I can say that the major contributor for me going for the 2nd Swift was this beauty! Even after 8 years, I still love driving it; every single day. The mid range torque is too addictive. Alas, you will be missed. With the BS-6 norms just around the corner and the lack of diesel powered cars in coming future, I guess this engine and the car (MS Swift) will definitely hold a special position in the hearts of the enthusiasts.

Adios MJD!
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 00:24   #35
BHPian

What an engine it was!
The engine was so good that my dad couldn't help but just bring home the first gen Dzire way back in 2010.
The mid-range was very addictive and the low end lag was just the silence before the storm
Even now, when we have the 3rd gen Dzire (petrol), my dad and brother miss the strong mid-range and the unrealistic fuel efficiency!
It's an end of an era and a bullet proof engine which was an absolute all rounder.

RIP the national oil burner of India!
Old 25th January 2020, 09:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

My very first car in 2008, was the Dzire DDIS and at that point of time this engine really new benchmarks for compact diesels. Turbo lag aside, it was a gem of an engine known for being reliable and fairly refined as well. Of course, its a bit noisy, but served numerous swifts and dzires over the years. The sheer number of cars that this engine powered is a testimony to its reliability!

And the most surprising part, Suzuki tuned the engine and gearbox better than anyone, even Fiat! And that is why the swift and Dzire remained the king of their segments for a very long time.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Rightly put by a few as the end of an Era. But quite frankly, it was long due.
It was doing duty for what- better part of 15 years? Been atleast 5-6 years that it started showing its age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditsharma01 View Post
End of an era. This engine is an absolute gem.

I would say, the Engine 'was' a gem. It is perhaps too coarse and unrefined an engine and suffers all the drawbacks of a typical diesel engine to be called a gem in todays world.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 09:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
And the most surprising part, Suzuki tuned the engine and gearbox better than anyone, even Fiat! And that is why the swift and Dzire remained the king of their segments for a very long time.
The Palio Stile MJD engine and gearbox tune is as good as the Swift or Dzire. I drove a colleague's second generation Dzire sometimes and felt the engine response was better in the Palio. There was no turbo lag. Yes, Punto tune is good for the highway but not for stop and go city traffic. FCA tried to tune it for fuel efficiency without reducing body metal (no tin can). The third gear ratio is too tall and it is necessary to drop down to the second if you loose momentum in the fourth.

Regards,
Anwesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 10:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

I drive an 11 year old Swift Diesel which has done 1 lakh 78 thousand kilometers now.

The Swift and Dzire without a diesel are like H20 without 02, I am sure Maruti will bring the 1.5 Diesel inside the Swift and Dzire, how the hell will they run their Dzire tour segment otherwise?
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 15:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

1 lakh ,63 thousand kilometers in 6 years. The last 50k with a RaceChip tuning chip. What a wonderful set of memories that engine gave me!

The Fiat Multijet was the sole reason why I got the Swift in the first place. The Swift petrol did not quite cut it for me in terms of performance and the Fiat tuning for the MJD in the Punto was lack luster.

Here is a pic of the engine after a spot of cleaning.
India's national diesel engine production has stopped! R.I.P. Fiat 1.3L MJD-after_cleaning.jpg

I sold the Swift in 2014 but over the years I have been often reacquainted with it. Most recently in a Brezza last year. Over the years the engine has become noisy and gravelly but current standards but it is still no slouch. The 2008 tune had a rush of power at 2000 rpm which initially catches you unaware till you slowly learnt to work with it and then you can't do without it. It used to rev up to 5000 rpm. 2011 saw a more linear state of tune and made it more driveable.

It gave me an education as well. On it I learnt to change oil and oil filters. Fuel filters. The aspects of EGR cleaning. All without missing a beat.

An engine that taught us that diesel, power and fuel efficiency need not be mutually exclusive.

Bidding farewell to an old friend.
Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 21:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Any idea which car is getting engine no. #810829?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
As the legend goes, Maruti and Tata tuned the engine better than FIAT for Indian conditions and mated it to the AMT gear box.
Actually the engines were identically specced. Maruti and Tata didn't tune them differently. The different gearboxes and weight of the cars made the difference.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 08:27   #42
BHPian

Has Maruti also stopped production of this engine? Maruti manufactures their own version of this engine under license from FIAT.

What will their diesel line up look like post 1 April 2020?
pogo0120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 10:13   #43
BHPian

After 1.2 lakh KMs, it still runs like a charm in my Linea... the heaviness of the chassis and body certainly not suited for spirited drives. But boy o boy, when cruising on highway and if you want to give a chase for some and floor the pedal to metal, it comes to life and speedometer needle goes down to the right, and you get a sheepish . My mom hears a beep and tells me to ease off (yes the over speed warning beep is set at 140 KMPH and only that beep gives it away, not the engine noise or any other thing). This engine is/was THE DIAMOND in FIAT's crown. This will be Missed. RIP 1.3 MJD.

question - can a Linea be fited with a bigger engine (may be the 2.0 MJD)?
Old 27th January 2020, 10:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to be against the tide. But I always thought that the 1.3 MJD was a very polluting engine and should have been stopped / modified much earlier. Even average maintained cars with the engine emitted heavy smoke under aggressive acceleration and I always wondered how does this engine pass the emissions test.

As a petrol-head, I understand the driving pleasure aspect, I understand the FE aspect but from an environmental perspective, this is good news.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 10:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
The mid-range was very addictive and the low end lag was just the silence before the storm
I second that. Had experienced it in the first generation Swift and boy oh boy, for something with just 75 horses, I sure was grinning a lot. More so, as you could hear the turbo spool up with each gear shift. While most folks do not like turbo lag, I quite like the feeling of a sudden wave or burst of power. That is the whole point of having a turbo charged engine. For as long as you kept this engine on the boil, you could have a heap load of fun. I cannot say if Maruti Suzuki meddled with the tune but the mating of this engine with their own gearbox was the best combination ever.

Fiat, even with their 90hp version of this engine, was nowhere near as fun to drive due to gearbox. The ratios were too far apart and the shift quality was not a patch to Suzuki's sweet, short throw (and sure slotting) gearbox.

This was the first engine that introduced the concept of a refined, quiet, small capacity diesel. The sound of this engine at idle is unique. Listen to a 1.3l MJD and a VW 1.6/1.5 TDI. The former has a very smooth sounding engine note. On a well maintained car, you can barely hear the engine idling, even if you stand right next to the car.

You usually associate anything Made by the Italians to be cranky and unreliable. This 1.3 Multi Jet is an exception.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks