Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 15:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BS6 Maruti Ciaz & Ciaz S launched. Priced from Rs. 8.31 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Let's not exaggerate and instead, keep things real on Team-BHP. I've taken the Ciaz out on all kinds of highways and can tell you that it's a "neutral" behaving sedan. No corner carving tool, but a reasonable cruiser. There is nothing "crap" about it, unless your cousin's car is either badly maintained or has some mechanical issue.
Agreed that the Ciaz is like a normal sedan and nothing really terrible about it. Though from a performance point of view, it is the most boring sedan to drive in the C2 segment.
What I find 'crap' about Ciaz and Maruti cars in general is the build quality and terrible safety ratings, not sure if we the 'Indian' Ciaz has been tested by Global NCAP.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
not sure if we the 'Indian' Ciaz has been tested by Global NCAP.
No, the Indian Ciaz has not been tested by NCAP. The Thailand spec Ciaz (2016 pre-facelift model) with 1.4 ltr Petrol was tested by Asean NCAP and was rated 4 starts Adult/ 2 star Child safety. http://www.aseancap.org/v2/?p=3728
The kerb weight noted was 1010 Kg which is close to the Indian spec. So, Indian spec could presumably be rated same if tested. But that is an assumption only and should not make assumptions when it comes to safety.

Last edited by chaturgaurav : 27th January 2020 at 16:22.
chaturgaurav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:28   #18
BHPian

Aesthetically, it looks good(subjective) honestly.

Would have really justified the badge S if only they had added the 1.6 DDiS to this line up.

OR

Would have variably turbo charged 1.5 DDiS which is a brilliant, brilliant engine.

OR

Could have turbocharged or mapped 1.5 petrol (K15) to a higher state. Enthusiasts would have loved that.

Last edited by uditsharma01 : 27th January 2020 at 16:29.
Old 28th January 2020, 10:02   #19

I have February 2019 Ciaz Alpha Petrol MT and have to say that it is a fabulous vehicle for the city and the highway alike.

Have driven around 7000 kms exclusively in the city and the K15 is a fabulous engine, power available on tap and most overtaking can be done without downshifting. On the highway my only gripe is that it feels a 6th gear will do more justice to the engine and it can munch miles like nobody's business.

Coming to looks I like the new S variant quite a bit as my own one has the rear reflectors which I do not like in chrome and prefer the silver one in the Zeta variant. I particularly like the front look as the blackened headlamps and the overhang lend a shark like appearance to it and make me keep looking back at the vehicle after parking it
Labrador is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 10:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
On the highway my only gripe is that it feels a 6th gear will do more justice to the engine and it can munch miles like nobody's business.
Feel the same way about my City. The iVTEC is so brilliant, but just like the Ciaz, it lacks a sixth gear. The iVTEC has a split personality, can go ballistic when its wrung hard, and at the same time, it is a brilliant and comfortable highway cruiser as well ,offering fatigue free long distance mile munching. The 6th gear would have made it even better than it is.

Have been a passenger on the Ciaz quite a few times, and it is certainly a comfortable car overall.
arindambasu13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I've taken the Ciaz out on all kinds of highways and can tell you that it's a "neutral" behaving sedan. No corner carving tool, but a reasonable cruiser.
True that. I too have driven my uncle's petrol Ciaz once on a 600km highway trip and found it to be a decent ride. Since I have been driving Tata diesels for most of my driving life, it took me some time to adjust to petrol engine behaviour and Maruti's smooth and short gearshifts. But after the first 50 odd kms, the drive was quite enjoyable. Driven in the 80-100 kmph speed range, Ciaz is as good a car as any.
mayd85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 12:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

I like the looks, though it could easily do away with that chrome and silver accents to make it look like a proper sports car, e.g. Skoda VRS type. Also the alloy wheels are not sporty, they are more executive like. This car looks half executive, half sporty, like management level people decide to have a cricket match during office hours, so they just wear sport shoes with their suits on

My biggest draw is the black interiors. The 1.5 Liter Petrol I feel is more than adequate, but there is always a room for more power. If they can make the handling like Germans.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 14:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Let's not exaggerate and instead, keep things real on Team-BHP. I've taken the Ciaz out on all kinds of highways and can tell you that it's a "neutral" behaving sedan. No corner carving tool, but a reasonable cruiser. There is nothing "crap" about it, unless your cousin's car is either badly maintained or has some mechanical issue.
Totally agree! Not because I drive one, but, from a practicality point of view, this is one sedan that does tick all boxes. Even if it means it does not score a perfect 10 on 10 in some areas.

For me, this is one car that I can live with without really bothering too much about anything. It's just that, a big, decent looking sedan. It's for sure not a crap is any which way!!
vinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 17:35   #24
BHPian

This is usual Maruti trick to push aging cars. Remember the Celerio X or Should I call it "Celerio with dark circles"?

Changing colours here and there, slapping some decals, painting the same wheels with another colour, adding a new body colour, changing the plastic parts design - like tail lamps etc. These are the techniques used by manufacturers to give an impression of "refreshed" car without changing any of the functionality or any cost additions to bills of materials. To me these are just meaningless facelifts.

I will still give good marks to them if they do this tastefully. Celerio X was not done tastefully. Ciaz S also doesn't look sporty and its new dress doesn't suit its personality. It is like Sheldon Cooper (of Big Bang Theory) wearing torn jeans. Maruti has this long time wish of attracting the youth towards its products, except for Swift, they have not been successful with that mission. Ignis was supposed to be the youth car - but whatever little Ignis I see on road are driven by middle-aged men/women. Maruti Suzuki is lagging severely in the design department. Their last very well designed car (that had a character) was Kizashi. I loved that car to bits. But all other cars that came after that were lackluster designs.
Attached Thumbnails
BS6 Maruti Ciaz & Ciaz S launched. Priced from Rs. 8.31 lakh-celeriox.jpg  

manjunathkl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:38   #25
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've taken the Ciaz out on all kinds of highways and can tell you that it's a "neutral" behaving sedan. No corner carving tool, but a reasonable cruiser. There is nothing "crap" about it, unless your cousin's car is either badly maintained or has some mechanical issue.
True that. Actually, other than the omni or maybe the eco, there are no 'poor' handlers in Maruti's stable (relatively speaking).

Ciaz drives (engine performance wise) just fine for most who don't touch 5000rpm in routine, because that's the only range Honda City does better, but really how many drive like that.

To me real world (public road) performance increase can only be achieved with increase in torque, and there are two ways to do that:
1) plonk a turbo - it is a very complicated modification to launch just one variant.
2) make it a full hybrid (as against hardly hybrid!)- this is Maruti's immediate future, why not invest in it and make it your premium offering. (a hybrid being called a sports variant might be unorthodox (that's future!), but for the naturally aspirated engine, it would be a booster shot! for a Ciaz which undercuts everything else in price, hence has headroom)
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 00:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Mr. Shashank Srivastava, Executive Director (Marketing & Sales), Maruti Suzuki India Limited

Quote:
There was a latent need from our sedan loving customers for a Sporty version of Ciaz. Ciaz S fulfils that need and it adds a sporty quotient to the premium mid-sized sedan and appeal to the customers desiring ‘the good life’. We are confident Ciaz S will be appreciated by customers
What exactly is sportier in this variant ?

Remember the Toyota Altis “Sport” from way back in 2009? Well, Suzuki is trying to pull a Toyota now, in 2020

Here’s what I found in an old copy of WhatCar?

BS6 Maruti Ciaz & Ciaz S launched. Priced from Rs. 8.31 lakh-b7597f380c87444e93814868bf075818.jpeg

BS6 Maruti Ciaz & Ciaz S launched. Priced from Rs. 8.31 lakh-eeb5b6f0858a4cf6ac04d6c61f448242.jpeg
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 00:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Manufacturers are actually taking “S” monicker jokingly I believe. We need to ask them what do they infer when they hear literal meaning of “Sport” in automobile terminology means?

When we call sportier version, we / atleast I get the following models to our head instantly;

1) M sport models from BMW
2) AMG models from Merc
3) RS models from Audi
4) vRS (my fav) from Skoda
5) Our humble JTPs from Tata - I wouldn’t want to give this a pass because they’ve really had given their best here and hence the mention although the relationship / joint venture stands dissolved as on today as per latest read from the forum.

Now come on, how can they even call a cosmetically upgraded variants as sportier? Just dechroming the entire set of body & slapping black inserts won’t really categorize as a sportier variant. Perhaps, not so eager set of population about mechanical specs might go for this over standard variants. Seriously, they should stop using this term “sport” in their lame attempts to gather sales.

Maruti has done it time & again with Swift & Ciaz as well previously. We need actual sport powerful engines to come down here.
Old 29th January 2020, 10:16   #28
BHPian

I know that most of us would've loved to see a better (turbo charged) engine, but one of the key elements that has helped Ciaz sales is the pricing. Adding a newer engine would have most certainly hiked the price further, and that could've actually resulted in lower sales than expected.
Old 30th January 2020, 10:54   #29
BHPian

The model S looks beautiful and it is but natural that only cosmetic modifications could be done to it given the price point and market to which it caters. MS would not risk plonking bigger engine or a turbo in this already well selling vehicle just for the heck of it which ultimately would not be purchased by the people, case in point is the sad fate of Baleno RS and JTP twins.

Not a fan of black interiors though, I love the roomy feel of beige interiors and find them to be more luxurious and upmarket.

Few months back I was looking for a sedan that is comfortable , good looking, has decent space and should not worry me WRT serviceability, resale and maintenance. After visiting multiple showrooms and checking numerous vehicles, I bought the Magma Grey Ciaz SHVS Petrol and have driven it for around 5000 Kms ( mix of city and highway) and I would like to say that this is one car which probably satisfies on a lot of parameters and the sales figure are clear indicator of the same.

Absolutely love the K15B engine which is tuned in a manner that it anyday satiates the calm city driver as well as the highway enthusiast in you. I had a tough time choosing between the Honda City and Ciaz but somehow I loved the looks of this car and the price gap sealed the deal for me.

The car which is otherwise absolutely silent revs sweetly and produces a beautiful sound when revved hard. The cruise control which comes as standard is of great utility to me and is quite easy to engage , disengage and re engage.

Light clutch, steering that weighs nicely on higher speeds, comfortable ride and decent handling , this is a no nonsense BIG car which brings a smile on my face every time I look at it and more so when I sit inside owing to the oodles of space inside. The cabin is beige with birch wood interiors which gives a very roomy and exquisite feel.

Have got 2 services done along with the ISG replacement as per the recall and the experience at NEXA have been absolutely wonderful.
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 15:54   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruri Suzuki Ciaz at the Auto Expo:

Most Viewed