Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2020, 11:43   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV

looks almost as big as the Kicks to me. I can almost sense a brothers in arms comparo coming up in a few months, starring Creta-Venue, Seltos-Sonet, Duster-Kiger and Kicks-Magnite.
Old 8th August 2020, 21:09   #137
Senior - BHPian

Saw this car on test today, fortunately there was an ecosport next to it and I must say, it does look decent sized. Front had high bonnet and very suv like lines, rear may not be as macho thanks to few slopes and possible curves.

Tyres were skinny and will need upgrade to match the look. Expecting it to slot just above Triber. VFM would be its biggest advantage.

Was on my scooter, hence couldn't click any pic.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 8th August 2020 at 21:10.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 20:57   #138
BHPian

A request from my friend to participate in the survey.

Hey!
Please take this survey for concept testing of "Nissan Magnite concept"
Fill up this form and please forward to relevant people.
https://rb.gy/xz7hkw
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 01:09   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
A request from my friend to participate in the survey.

Hey!
Please take this survey for concept testing of "Nissan Magnite concept"
Fill up this form and please forward to relevant people.
https://rb.gy/xz7hkw

Is this from a Nissan employee? sorry to ask as I don't understand why someone should make this kind of wide topic question about a car which to be launched.

Anyway, I have filled the form, it would be great if you could check with your friend where this data will be used.

Just to note, there is one typo - Renault Magnite at one area
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 13:32   #140
Senior - BHPian

Nissan reveals Magnite Concept in new walkaround video

The Nissan Magnite sub-4 meter crossover was unveiled last month. Nissan has now released a video in which, Design Manager Takumi Yoneyama takes us through the design highlights of the new car.

The Magnite Concept features a dual-tone exterior. It has a large octagonal grille that looks similar to what you get on a Datsun. The grille is flanked by slim LED headlamp clusters and L-shaped LED daytime running lights. The crossover has black cladding around its flared wheel arches and a chunky skid plate that adds a rugged look to it.

The interior of the Magnite Concept is finished in a dual-tone colour scheme. It has a large touchscreen infotainment head-unit, steering wheel with haptic touch buttons and a digital instrument cluster.

The production version of the Magnite Concept will be based on the CMF-A+ platform. It is the same architecture on which the Renault Triber is based. The SUV could be powered by a 1.0-litre, turbocharged petrol engine, while lower variants might get a naturally aspirated 1.0-litre unit.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 13:34   #141
Senior - BHPian

The Sonet will literally eat this alive unless Nissan undercuts it. But if it undercuts it then customers will question safety and think it is too cheap and has cut corners (Funnily Nissan handed out a survey asking what would be the right price range for this and if low pricing would put me off for being "too cheap" or of high pricing will put me off due to "rivals". I answered it affirmatively).
Nithesh_M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 14:24   #142
BHPian

Having a Nissan Micra CVT in our family, I can say they have a winner with Magnite. The problem with Micra is - it neither excels in anything, nor fails in anything. But so far it is running well, serving us well, no issues of any sort and we do not have any complaints at all. My sister who drives it seem to be very happy with the Car.

So the Magnite will be real success if Nissan prices it right and has some USP against the competition. I am still unable to figure out which segment Magnite will compete in. So my fingers are crossed.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 15:31   #143
BHPian

If launched as is. This would be THE most beautiful looking CSUV in India. I am already in love with the design and it looks like something I would wanna own. I have already watched the video three times. Eagerly waiting for the launch and hope Nissan succeeds with this one.

I wouldn't go into psychoanalysis of how the car is looking like a datsun but 99.99% people wont even get the connection.
psbali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 16:51   #144
BHPian

When are they going to stop calling it a concept and start releasing designs of the actual production SUV? Whenever I see a new magnite video on my feed, I'd think this is it, the magnite is no longer a concept. But then, they'd release yet another video like this:

SuhairZain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:36   #145
BHPian

I think they're still evaluating their options to pack the bags, hence checking response from people. I like the way it looks, but never have I ever come across a manufacturer promoting a car from concept phase itself, showing unveil and other videos around CGI models of cars.

Seems like they've put their foot in the door, and while they're pushing hard, they're still playing smart by its not been too much of expenses so far, if the interest is lukewarm, let's take the door out.

Gives me vibes of announced, even tested but never launched beat sedan. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Also, Nissan India badly needs to bring their latest Micra, Xtrail, Leaf, and even Optima/Altima. They have terrific products globally and all they're offering in the country is terrible.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th August 2020 at 18:26. Reason: typo
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:50   #146
BHPian

If this is based on the unsafe Datsun platform which I doubt it is going by Nissan's commitment to avoiding global design re-use in India and re-inventing unsafe India-specific designs, I'd say it has to be priced cheaper than Venue / Sonet. I mean like way cheaper.

How I wish they simply re-use their global portfolio designs and simply manufacture them in India instead of doing something new. It's gotten to the point where if someone says it is India specific or Designed for India, now I automatically think its inferior and lacking to it's global counterpart (Hi there Captur!).
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 18:35   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
If this is based on the unsafe Datsun platform which I doubt it is going by Nissan's commitment to avoiding global design re-use in India and re-inventing unsafe India-specific designs, I'd say it has to be priced cheaper than Venue / Sonet. I mean like way cheaper.

How I wish they simply re-use their global portfolio designs and simply manufacture them in India instead of doing something new. It's gotten to the point where if someone says it is India specific or Designed for India, now I automatically think its inferior and lacking to it's global counterpart (Hi there Captur!).
This is WRT to the safety aspect of Nissan/Renault Cars.

I was of the opinion that Nissan/Renault seriously compromised the safety of its indian cars and this led to a lot of arguments between me and a close friend who works there.

Recently I got some irrefutable proof of Nissan/Renault having upped the ante in the safety department. Not at the liberty of sharing the specific info, I can only put it out here that they have done something to improve the structural integrity of one of their entry models to a level that surpasses my own car - A Fiat Linea Tjet (considered by many as a safe car in its won right). Now that impressed me. And I do believe that going forward safety concerns around Renault/Nissan cars will become quite unfounded. And any concerns of platform sharing with the Datsun brand is quite unwarranted.
sai_ace is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 18:54   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post

I was of the opinion that Nissan/Renault seriously compromised the safety of its indian cars and this led to a lot of arguments between me and a close friend who works there.

Recently I got some irrefutable proof of Nissan/Renault having upped the ante in the safety department
I think this was first of all, never a generic issue with Renault/ Nissan cars .Only some models were perceived to be unsafe basis of NCAP testing . I thought that the Micra and Sunny had a decent build quality, as did the Terrano and of course Fluence/ Koleos. Even the Lodgy appeared to be better than average . The lens was mostly on the Kwid, Datsun Go and the smaller airbags of the Duster.
Old 28th August 2020, 19:22   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post

Recently I got some irrefutable proof of Nissan/Renault having upped the ante in the safety department. Not at the liberty of sharing the specific info, I can only put it out here that they have done something to improve the structural integrity of one of their entry models to a level that surpasses my own car - A Fiat Linea Tjet (considered by many as a safe car in its won right). Now that impressed me. And I do believe that going forward safety concerns around Renault/Nissan cars will become quite unfounded. And any concerns of platform sharing with the Datsun brand is quite unwarranted.
With all due respect to your friend and his employer, if Nissan/Renault really want to turn a new leaf and convince the Indian public that their budget cars now meet international standards of safety then they need to send these cars for GNCAP (I admit that GNCAP is not perfect by any means but it would be a good start).

To even imagine an altered for India Nissan/Renault product to be safe it's not enough for them to do a media blitz. Let them get it tested and then promote it on social media (something like TATA did for Altroz).
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 21:36   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but the Venue/Sonet aren't exactly safe cars, far from being the epitome of safety in the segment. Both of these are based on the Santro's K1 platform which has performed poorly and the structure was rated unstable. It is like constructing a weak building and then furnishing it with good quality materials, tiles, nice thick wooden doors and panels. When the structure is weak, a bit thicker door panels(to give a overall better built vibe) and all these safety equipment like 6 airbags, esp etc. will only take you so far. In the C-SUV segment, the Venue starts at the lowest price (next up is Nexon but it has already proved its built quality) and then the price increases as the features add up and engines change. It is evident where Hyundai has cut corners as the base car is same right from the base model to the range topping one.

IMO, the reasons why the magnite has to be priced cheaper than Venue/Sonet is 1. if it is less loaded in comparison, 2. Because it is a very important car for Nissan, 3. Nissan needs to increase footfall in their showroom and so needs very aggressive pricing.
And if Nissan can manage to shake some magic wand and get a 5star NCAP rating along with a loaded spec-sheet, they can price it on par. But way lower? Don't expect a entry level hatchback kind of pricing as the company ain't running on charity and the concept so far is looking promising.
Candy$Cars is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed