Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2020, 01:31   #106
BHPian

Re: The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV

I don't have any issues with the design of the car, it looks sharp, fresh and modern.
Yes, I do understand that having the whole front-end common with a 4 lac rupee hatch is something which nobody wants but how many people have even seen the new Redi go?
Heck, people might not even know if there is something like a 'new Redi Go'!
If the build quality, engine power and safety is at par with the other cars in the segment, it can do wonders for the Nissan brand.
Nazaar25 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 10:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
...... but how many people have even seen the new Redi go?
Heck, people might not even know if there is something like a 'new Redi Go'!
Well said! I am yet to see a Redi-go on road in my city and my city is not a small town. Heck, I struggle to spot even a Nissan in traffic. Don't know why so much fuss over a front end which looks absolutely smashing and perfectly proportioned. Outside teambhp, how many people have heard of Datsun brand? Or, even Nissan, for that matter. IMO, Nissan should go ahead and use this front-end.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 14:36   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tail lamps have design cues from the MG ZS. Just a similarity, not complaining.

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-dsc_6716_copy.jpg

This one looks promising from Nissan. Not everyone requires a KICKS here in India.

Last edited by kamilharis : 19th July 2020 at 14:38.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 15:08   #109
Senior - BHPian

In the Nissan Kicks thread I had said Nissan should have given a facelift when launching the 1.3 turbo and bs6 range. If the Kicks looked half as good as this with led taillights and projectors/led setup they would cause even more confusion in the minds of an Suv segment buyer. But ofcourse this all hinges on Nissan adding dealerships and service points across the country. As of now their tier 2 dealers are thinning down due to lack of sales. Can't expect sales success for the Magnite if there aren't many dealers to sell them.

Hope this delay in launch is to address their dwindling network.
Old 19th July 2020, 15:15   #110
BHPian

Considering this is a datsun, does anyone expect it to score anything more than 3 stars in any NCAP test? Will it even make 3 stars?

This is the thing I'm most worried about. Nissan has some really great cars in its global portfolio but recently they're just engineering India specific products based on unsafe platforms. I don't understand, is it so hard and expensive to just setup a production line for one of the established global platforms instead of re-engineering something inferior specific for India.
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 16:38   #111
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

Renault can continue in India making cars that are probably inferior to what even Dacia makes in Eastern European countries!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Nissan has some really great cars in its global portfolio but recently they're just engineering India specific products based on unsafe platforms. I don't understand, is it so hard and expensive to just setup a production line for one of the established global platforms instead of re-engineering something inferior specific for India.
If Renault/Nissan were smart, they would sell an absolute deathtrap with a sunroof, LEDs and a huge touchscreen. Because that's what Indians want in a car.

No point in clamoring for global standards when we're not ready to pay the premium for the same.
GBX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 21:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
If Renault/Nissan were smart, they would sell an absolute deathtrap with a sunroof, LEDs and a huge touchscreen. Because that's what Indians want in a car.

No point in clamoring for global standards when we're not ready to pay the premium for the same.

Sure, thats the short term, but it in the long term, both Renault and Nissan are not going to get anywhere with this thinking since their only USP now is price. Yes,the Triber has some intelligent space management, but somehow I cannot digest the fact that the 3rd row seats are sitting almost on top of the rear bumper!

You see, the top 3 spots are taken, its Suzuki, Hyundai and possibly Kia in the near future. Then you have Tata and Mahindra who are turning the corner on product quality and safety. When Tata does launch the HBX and few other cars in the 6-10 lakh segment, they are going to be gunning for the 4th spot. Mahindra, with the new XUV500, and the new Scorpio is also going to be aggressive. And then you have Honda and Toyota, followed by VW and Skoda, who dont have much to show for now,but they have some interesting products on the anvil. And all of these Japanese and European manufacturers stand for something. You say Honda, its for the Petrol engine and the gearbox, you say Toyota and you have the Innova, and probably VW and Skoda enjoy the niche reputation of superb build. Where does Renault and Nissan stand in all of this? Thats the question they would have to answer in a few years.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 23:38   #113
Senior - BHPian

Renault and Nissan both know that if they have to sell in volume segment they'll have to get down to Maruti level of cost cutting and safety mindset which is exactly what they've done from the beginning with the Kwid/Redigo, the Triber/Go Plus and these new launches. Low pricing is the only way to get into MS territory.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 10:19   #114
BHPian

What? Another FWD mall-running, chock full of electronics fake SUV? No thank you. Bring a real SUV.
Old 20th July 2020, 11:07   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
safety is at par with the other cars in the segment
Since it's based on the same platform as the Go/Go+/Triber/Kwid, you can't really expect to have better safety rating than any of them. One of the primary reasons I didn't buy the Triber, another being the lackluster engine.
Old 20th July 2020, 11:36   #116
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Sure, thats the short term, but it in the long term, both Renault and Nissan are not going to get anywhere with this thinking since their only USP now is price. Yes,the Triber has some intelligent space management, but somehow I cannot digest the fact that the 3rd row seats are sitting almost on top of the rear bumper!
For a very price concious market, what better USP do you need? Ignoring Nissan's sportier models(which will fail here instantly), even internationally their bread-and-butter is just cheap CVT equipped commuter cars. They are very much playing to their strengths.

As for Renault, they're space engineering as they do in Europe. And the Triber's a great example of that. They've taken the entirely arbitrary 4M rule in their stride and produced a car custom made for those specs. Sure the third row IS the crumple zone, but Indian large families don't care. I suspect the upcoming 7 seat wagonR wouldn't hold a candle to the Triber in term of packaging.

I get what you're saying about making better quality cars, but even going by your examples, all of those manufacturers sell absolute dog food to the Indian market compared to their offerings abroad.

VW: Still running decade old platforms
Toyota: Reduced to outright badge engineering
Honda: Clinging onto a single nameplate and decade++ old engines

Let's face it, the Indian auto market is simply not matured enough for manufacturers to bring their A-game.
GBX is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:35   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Let's face it, the Indian auto market is simply not matured enough for manufacturers to bring their A-game.
Yea petty well said. India is a very price sensitive market, even though there might be volumes in the Sub 20lac segment.

Not all manufacturers can afford to bring their best cars here with latest tech and gizmos as they will be very costly. They then have to back it up with sales and service. Its a tough market, but then it is, everywhere.
Old 20th July 2020, 15:54   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Not all manufacturers can afford to bring their best cars here with latest tech and gizmos as they will be very costly.
That's because various taxes loaded up on a car push it up out of target buyers' range. A car comes loaded up with exorbitant GST even at ex-showroom price. Then life tax of 14 % (in my state) is like a daylight robbery. I'm sure all taxes added up constitute nearly 60 per cent of what a customer pays by the time it reaches his home. What more can we expect?

That said, we also need to look at the price when we compare. What it offers at what price point. If Magnite undercuts rivals by a big margin then we need to factor that in. too.
Old 21st July 2020, 08:56   #119
Senior - BHPian

Nissan India is neck deep in horse manure. I doubt a Datsun faced SUV is going to make a difference with offering from Ford, MSIL, Hyundai, Tata, and Mahindra.

They’re just delaying the inevitable- time for Nissan India bosses to pack their bags and merge operations with Renault like how VW did with Skoda.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st July 2020 at 08:57.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:29   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Some interesting details on Nissan and how its hopes are pinned on the Magnite (I hadnt even heard of this product till I read the Reuters article) in India.

Quote:
“Magnite will buy Nissan a couple of years to figure out a plan for India and the SUV’s success will determine whether it invests more or scales down operations,” said one source.

A second source called the sport-utility vehicle Nissan’s “last hope” to revive the brand in India.

Japan’s No. 2 automaker has, however, no plans to withdraw from India, where it has invested over $800 million, and discussions about strategy are ongoing, the sources said. They were not authorised to speak to media and declined to be identified.
Quote:
Nissan’s internal plans call for sales of 1,500 to 2,000 Magnites a month, the first source said - which if realised would exceed the average India monthly sales it achieved last business year with seven models.
This is the link to the full article.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed