Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 15:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)

Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-whatsapp-image-20200128-10.47.37-am.jpeg

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

It is reported that the Tata Motors-Jayem joint venture, JTSV (JT Special Vehicles) has been dissolved. It has also been reported that JTP models of Tiago and Tigor have sold out and the last remaining stocks are from the July / August 2019 lot. It is said that the engine powering the JTP twins is not BS6 ready.

A tweet by Gaurav Sharma, who was in the company's marketing department, also mentions that 25 employees have been laid off. The tweet has since been deleted.

In March 2017, both companies set up JTSV with a 50:50 partnership. In October 2018, they launched the JTP twins.

Quote:
Aftermath - Those employees be it hardworking, lenient, average or tag them anything, one thing no one can claim is that they didn't do their duties or that they were not officially a part of dream for this pretentious company. They were forcefully thrown out of the project and not just that no compensation of any sort or if I may say so no job in Tata for now and you are relieved - leaving them high and dry which makes me very saddened about what happened to the corporate culture or any ethical behaviour for that matter.
Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-www.teambhp.com24.jpeg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2020 at 15:52.
blackwasp is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 15:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)

Really saddened to hear this. In a market of lackluster commuter cars, JTP was definitely a beacon of hope for enthusiasts. I had a gut feeling right from the start that the venture would not progress too far, and if this news is authentic, then these fears are realised way sooner than even I expected.

Probably means that no more JTP models? Not to mention that an innovative company with great pedigree sinks without a trace once again in the harsh Indian market, though I am hoping that chances of revival shine through. All the hopes of an Altroz JTP and Nexon JTP

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 28th January 2020 at 15:44.
arindambasu13 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 15:48   #3
BHPian

Sad news indeed. Hope that Tata will step in and retain the performance wing active. Even Tata can absorb these employees(if they are specific to JTSV). JTSV may not be in profit right now but if they have marketed the product well, then things would have been different. Dissolving the team within an year or so is not a step in the right direction.
K_Drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 15:51   #4
BANNED

Previously the Baleno RS discontinuation news, and now the rumor about JTP dissolution.

By the way, why that title.

Last edited by wheelguy : 28th January 2020 at 15:57.
Old 28th January 2020, 15:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

Never really understood the point of JTSV as a separate company - though the JTP range was brilliant in the TATA lineup. In fact, if this rumour is true - the JTP Tiago and Tigor owners are now without their parent brands - their cars were all JTSV manufactured, as per the records.

What was so radically different about the engine that the cars have to be abandoned as they are not BS6 ready? They were based off the Nexon block (which is BS6 compliant now) and only made an additional 4HP.

Lack of sales could be the primary reason - and this reason has, in fact, hit every single performance model launched in the market. But IMHO, it would be great if TATA motors can continue the project and absolve some of the losses.

The image they've built from this project is unparalleled to any other investment they've made recently, except for design. Altroz JTP is very eagerly anticipated, and although it may be another slow seller, it will do wonders to up the cool quotient of the Altroz to another level. In fact, I was hoping that's the real reason for proving detuned motors in the Altroz.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th January 2020 at 16:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:14   #6
BHPian

The idea of owning a Tiago JTP once school over used to put a smile on my face, so this news has come as a huge disappointment. The idea that the Tata JTP twins will not be moving into the BS6 era is saddening, and now, like in 2013, the Polo GT TSI is the only remaining fun to drive Petrol warm hatch.

Pity that Tata didn't think this decision through, the JTP twins were never a mass market buy, they were more of a brand building exercise per se, something that I'm sure all BHPians and enthusiasts alike appreciated. After the death of the Abarth Punto and the Baleno RS, the only light in this sector I can see is the GT TSI(which itself is moving to a smaller 3-cylinder engine) and the turbocharged Grand i10 Nios.
BZ25 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Sad indeed, but it's still not confirmed news, I think we should all wait until the official statement has been made before jumping to conclusions and passing judgements.

I'm not really worried about servicing and spares. I've managed to build a decent enough relation with the TASS so I guess they will still help me out. The car is still entirely a tiago with basically a nexon engine, nothing like an exotic supercar (silver lining of it being an indigenous model). We should be completely covered on that front. Maybe the bumpers and some small cosmetic bits may prove to be a problem, personally not such a huge issue for me.

Though this isn't positive news, I don't think the blanket has been pulled over JTP. Just that future JTPs might be made by TATA themselves and not JTSV.
Who knows, let us wait and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
It is always important for firms to stay focus and that is what we are seeing with shutting down of JTSV. As for those who lost job, they will get another one - just a matter of time and a bit of struggle.
You could be right as well, maybe they have just shifted focus on to something where the JV played no role.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 28th January 2020 at 16:33.
Turrrb0 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Feel bad for the employees. In the time of the market being dull, I am sure these employees would have been passionate ones who worked on the product. If the tweet is true and they are left without a job, then its a pity. Instead of creating a separate company, they should have just deputed employees from either side and created a project house. Hopefully the employees will get absorbed by either companies.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

This news would come as a warning to all those car makers who have dreams of 'sporty' pretensions: there ain't a market for these machines, coupled with the discontinuation of the Baleno RS and wind up of JTP. We have Hyundai still soldiering on with the 1.0L Turbo petrol in the Venue, Aura and also the Nios top end (forthcoming??).
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:54   #10
BHPian

It is very sad to see this happening. These kind of special brands like TRD, NISMO are not volume sellers. They never would be, especially when comparing to the off the shelf cousins. They are made and marketed to build the brand's image, niche offering to niche customers who likes to pay a bit more to be different, even bring some of the learning to other offerings and last but not least rev up the sales numbers in between refreshes for the sales teams. First of all, India has a long way considering fast cars. Still, TATA knew well all these factors and went ahead with a JV. Better for them to make it a success by believing in it first of all, make good products and make the customers believe in it. I can not justify this knee jerk reactions and this is not doing any good to already battered Tata's image ( cough *I am in/out/in/out* cough). Finally, how many cares for JTSV anyway! People forget and move on. But enthusiasts like us, it is not easy to forget these kind of strategy and next time, we will think more than few times before touching anything Tata with a long pole.

Last edited by sgmuser : 28th January 2020 at 16:57. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 17:44   #11
BHPian

To the fortunate BHPians who own a JTP (especially the Tiago). Take care of them like a Baby, keep them stock, maintain it like you would want to see it working 20 years down the line.
For you, the fortunate few might be the owners of a valuable future Indian Classic.(Assuming Tata won't make another (better) hot hatch)
ZenMaster is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 21:27   #12
BHPian

Only thing that held me from buying JTP then was the news of facelift twins going to come. I was hoping facelift Tiago will see its JTP avatar.

If this news is true my dreams of owning a new JTP is over :(
arvindmanju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 07:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't get it. If TML can keep nursing JLR for so many years, can't they simply acquire tiny Jayem and take over the technology and the staff ?
fhdowntheline is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is sad definitely. But as a business, they have to make tough decisions if there is no value being added with all those marketing spend. They may have internal calculations on the money that is being spent on JTP and the brand value generated out of it. End of the day, it is a business decision. In the fiercely competitive market that India is now, every rupee spent has to be accountable.

Layoffs have got nothing unethical about it. When you join a new venture, you understand that it is risky and if not profitable the company will wind up. Something doesn't work well, cut your losses and move on - applies for the employee as well as the organization.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:27   #15
BHPian

The twitter account which posted this, does not exist.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-screenshot-20200129-9.24.53-am.png  

mayanksabharwal is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks