Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 19:10   #31
BHPian

Re: The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade

Out of nowhere this came to my mind. I’m not sure of the numbers it sold but I’m sure it deserves a place in this thread-
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-1f1d01def1414f238b41b9978586064c.jpeg  

vvijay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

How can we forget Chevrolet Enjoy? A Chinese intruder into Indian market. The so called MPV which was plagued by engine failure issues, its vinatge dash board and tiny wheels could have only distracted the prospective buyers.
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-download.jpg  

deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I would like to add Renault Captur to the list. It is an old duster in new clothes, the company tried to sell it as if its a different car sold overseas which eventually was rejected by the customers.
Marketing aside, Captur is actually a decent car. It had decent interiors, felt mre solid than Duster and had decent kit. Only thing that worked against its favor is the crossover styling. Also it was priced on par with Creta without offering additional value.
PrideRed is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
How can we forget these two from MSIL.

1. Zen Estilo
2. A-Star
A-Star was launched in Nov 2008, not the last decade. So it may have disqualified for this list. I remember as I was raring to buy one before launch. Booked first gen i10 on the same day A-star was launched after having a glance. Dashboard was horrible. Interiors were claustrophobic. It could lose to Maruti 800 in race to interior space. Above all, SAs were high headed after Swift saga. One arrogantly told me that waiting period is 9 months on launch day. (Off topic: I can feel same high headedness in Kia guys these days)

I guess Estilo was too launched around the same time frame though do not remember exactly.
gupta_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:08   #35
BHPian

Can I add Celerio Diesel to the list as well?
It had the worst diesel engine ever mated to a passenger car IMO (a two cylinder, 793 cc unit).
Sherlocked is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:26   #36
BHPian

Another car worth an honourable mention is the Mitsubishi Montero. This 2 decade old model was relaunched recently, with very minor tweaks. The car is not bad at all, but is way too old, and at the price it comes, it's like a situation where Toyota would relaunch the qualis at the price of the current Innova crysta:
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-screenshot_20200129212149_chrome.jpg  

Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

The Chevy Sail was not as bad a car as it's sales figures would suggest. It was sold by a weak brand. I've spoken to few Taxi drivers who were satisfied with the car. It was GMs answer to Toyota Liva.

DC Avanti is a case of "The owner of this restaurant eats here!" - from whatever I've read and heard, it had too many compromises/shortcomings for a car that costed over INR 35 lakh. A customer paying a big sum would never accept any compromises.

Pleasantly surprised to not to see Tata in the list, but will call out Mahindra for not building a new platform for their smaller cars.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 29th January 2020 at 23:24.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:24   #38
BHPian

A couple that I can think of

VW Ameo
Qute - If one considers this as a car

I guess, on public demand, GTO, would you like to add KUV to the original list?
I was wondering, how a DC designed KUV would look
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:34   #39

Toyota Yaris
An overly optimistic price tag made sure it was dead on arrival. Toyota India has always given us the step-motherly treatment with old watered models and slow life cycle updates.

Mitsubishi Cedia

A slowly ageing Lancer was given a cosmetic treatment but a shoddy service network and dated features and interiors killed it.

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO

A lot of enthusiasts were waiting for it since ages and we finally received the final generation model which was priced exorbitantly.

Mahindra
Mahindra has a history of releasing quirky and straight-up weird designs.
zehhatter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:35   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

What's surprising is that both Mahindra and Tata set off with designing and launching cars that turned out to be utter flops, then re-engineered & renamed them to see success.

Cases in point:

Mahindra renamed the Quanto as Nuvosport, and subsequently re-designed the shell into the TUV3OO

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-quanto-et-al..jpg

Tata's Aria flopped, but the re-designed bodyshell in the form of Hexa proved to be a moderate success

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-aria-et-al..jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 29th January 2020 at 23:37.
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:40   #41
BHPian

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade

A little surprised to see some of the folks mentioning A-star to be a part of the list. Yes it wasn't spacious but that's it.
Came with a decent engine, squat like stance which imparted fun handling that no other car in that segment could even think of. The dashboard, plastics and built were in fact better than the Swift.Also the front seats were quite spacious.
It was a fun little car which was quite European in feel.

Last edited by Waspune : 29th January 2020 at 23:42.
Waspune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:41   #42
BHPian

I would probably add Tata's (failed) Venture to this list. Kind of still perplexed whom were they targeting with its optimistic pricing.

Somehow feel that Tata lost an opportunity to make a worthy competitor to the Eeco, with an oil burner.

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-tataventureleftsideview18274.jpg
five46 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 00:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

How can anyone omit the TATA Manza from this list. I remember seeing this car first at my local TATA Motors service station being prepped before launch and the staff was embarrassed when i noticed the car and asked them about it. And sure enough it was a sales disaster for TATA.
nickatnite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 00:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
A little surprised to see some of the folks mentioning A-star to be a part of the list.
Given enough time, these threads tend to end up listing virtually every car on the market.

The A-Star was, as you pointed out, quite an excellent city car if you didn't care about rear seat space.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 01:55   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What's surprising is that both Mahindra and Tata set off with designing and launching cars that turned out to be utter flops, then re-engineered & renamed them to see success.

Cases in point:

Mahindra renamed the Quanto as Nuvosport, and subsequently re-designed the shell into the TUV3OO

Tata's Aria flopped, but the re-designed bodyshell in the form of Hexa proved to be a moderate success
Quanto and Nuvosport were derived from a chopped Xylo platform, while the TUV300 is built on the current Scorpio chassis.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks