Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 12:36   #61
BHPian

Re: The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I think many of the cars mentioned in this thread are mostly because they don't look good, or because they were sold by a company with a small footprint in India. In that context, I feel that this list is a bit unfair. In my opinion, a bad car needs to be bad as a car. That is, if some car suffered from a common mechanical issue, or if it was very overpriced (to a point that the you would get a higher segment of cars for the same price).
Couldn't agree with you more, There should be another topic "Top 10 ugliest cars of the decade" then the entries would make sense. Some of them actually will feature in both the lists
raghu.bramha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:39   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is becoming yet another thread of BHPians citing examples of the cars that they personally dislike.

Worst car, in my understanding, is a car that has not been accepted by the market. There can be various reasons such as
1. Hideous looks
2. Obsolete technology
3. Atrocious pricing
4. Pathetic quality, inside and outside
5. Poor ride and handling
6. Terrible after sales support
7. Poor reliability
8. Boring/lack of character

The cars listed in the OP have had all/ most of these factors combined, making them feature the list.

Please stop citing examples just because that particular car fits into one of the above factors.

Bottomline - if it sells well, it is accepted by the market. If it is accepted by the market, it is not a worst car however ugly it might look.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:52   #63

My nominations would be the following.

1. Tata ARIA
2. Maruti Suzuki Kizashi
3. Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo
AspiringIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 13:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
In my opinion, a bad car needs to be bad as a car. That is, if some car suffered from a common mechanical issue, or if it was very overpriced

OP has defined what constitutes a flop for the purpose of this thread just so that the thread doesn't get derailed with individual interpretations of what constitutes a flop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Note: This is NOT a subjective list. It's also based on market performance..
Old 30th January 2020, 13:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
I own a Fiat Grande Punto [2012] and without a shred of embarrassment, i can say it's a flop considering the value-for-money aspect or rather lack of it. Great engine, chassis and driving dynamics but the cost of maintenance, shoddy gearbox, and lack of features is making living with it unbearable.
Seriously? We have a 10 year old Linea and as years pass by my respect for it has only grown. Not value for money? Less features? If your car is a base model then there's no use in saying it lacks features. For a 10 year old model, Punto was loaded with features for it's price!

At a time when people are going wow on Hello MG, Fiat launched a usable Bluetooth n voice command system a decade back! Doesn't end there, programmable follow me home headlamps, aerodynamic wiper blades, rear sunshade, rear AC vents, even lights for inner mirrors(seltos still haven't got that) n ambient lights above gearknob,(on Linea) an MID that throws a plethora of info and many more that I keep noticing even after a decade of use. Add to that the engines, handling, build quality, suspension, brakes, reliability & styling. Supreme value for money. The only negatives are poor plastic quality & a bit rubbery gear shift, which is nowhere as bad as it was made to be. I changed the gear knob to a smaller one & that itself has changed the feel of the gearbox a lot. Service in Kochi is really good when compared to VW and BMW.

This is the longest we've ever hold onto a car at home and that's only because it's that good. Even when sharing the space with much more expensive cars, Linea still feels relevant with its uniqueness. Absolute analog/mechanical driving experience, it's sad that cars like these doesn't exist anymore as the feel of driving is slowly disappearing from newer cars including premium ones. Flop? Fiat's management is, not the car.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 13:46   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringIndian View Post
2. Maruti Suzuki Kizashi

The Kizashi was one of the best cars to come out of MSIL! It was sad that the market was not ready to accept a multi-million rupee maruti. But everything about the Kizashi was uber cool!
ashwin1224 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 14:04   #67
BHPian

This thread has gone haywire! I see shocking mentions of cars like the Fiat Punto, Maruti Dzire, Kizashi, Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, the legendary Mitsubishi Lancer, etc. in a thread titled "worst cars of the decade"! Seriously? Just because a car did not sell well or it was overpriced doesn't mean it should end up in this thread.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 14:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
Seriously? Just because a car did not sell well or it was overpriced doesn't mean it should end up in this thread.
Yes seriously. The only reason to include a car in this thread is if it didn't sell well and nothing else. Read the OP's post. (quoted above).
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 15:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
A-Star was launched in Nov 2008, not the last decade. So it may have disqualified for this list. I remember as I was raring to buy one before launch. Booked first gen i10 on the same day A-star was launched after having a glance. Dashboard was horrible. Interiors were claustrophobic. It could lose to Maruti 800 in race to interior space. Above all, SAs were high headed after Swift saga. One arrogantly told me that waiting period is 9 months on launch day. (Off topic: I can feel same high headedness in Kia guys these days)

I guess Estilo was too launched around the same time frame though do not remember exactly.
A-Star owner here! And I've gotta say, those points are very much indeed valid- the unconventional design, tiny interiors and below average build , with poor packaging are indeed valid points that mark against it. But worst car on market? I'd disagree. It was reasonably priced, handled quite well, got a reliable engine: A 1.2 K series engine from the Swift would've made it a "hot" hatch( ok that's a bit stretchful), and an automatic transmission was quite a rarity in the segment- In 2011, only Hyundai i10 if I recall, provided a slushbox. It's all a college-goer could ask for.

I think this thread should refer to cars born out of sheer incompetence of the companies and absolute ignorance of the dynamic market trends. Outdated cars that are poorly built, and serviced in the first place, and weren't updated or supported much later on.

As much as I respect the HM Ambassador(discontinued in 2014) I really can't put a kind word of it, as it's golden age vanished the moment Suzuki stepped our shores in the '80s. For the next three decades, it was outdated, poorly built, backed by poor service, had mediocre engines. HM's response? No improvements please! Let's make an ugly truck version! There was absolutely no redeeming factor for the grand old Morris Oxford.

Also would like to add whatever Mitsubishi is selling right now( again, HM, what a surprise), the PAL products (the 118NE to Peugeot 309 to the Rio, again led by an incompetent venture), the outdated Nissan Sunny and Micra backed by poor service, the paleolithic Verito and it's unapologetically chopped up twin, and the Quanto, the laziest piece of engineering there ever is.

Then there were the Fiat cars- Linea and Punto. Make no mistake, they were fantastic cars...in 2008. A decade on, save for a few cosmetic upgrades, those cars remained exactly the same, with the same weird ergonomics, same mechanical issues, same mediocre A.S.S. Notice a trend?

The Sail twins were competent products, even more than the Etios twins, I might add. Sadly, unlike Toyota, or the case of VW's old Polo, Chevy made absolutely no efforts to update or improve it, which would've saved it. But who are we kidding, it's GM.

Also, would've loved to add the Duster, not just for being old and utilitarian for the price, but also for Renault's decision to put tiny airbags in an already unstable structure. Cars sold as of now, still come up with such shocking compromise on safety. Renault, of all manufacturers!
GipsyDanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 16:08   #70
BHPian

Without doubt the ugliest car I have ever seen has to be the KUV100. What were the designers thinking and how could a Mahindra approve the design. Except the XUV500 and Scorpio to an extent majority of the new age SUV from Mahindra stable are poorly proportioned badly designed SUV's. I hope sense prevails with them from hereon
Old 30th January 2020, 16:29   #71
BHPian

As few members have pointed out, the title is too broad and ambiguous. It would only result in multiple disagreements on what is "worst" as is already evident. If sales volume was the only parameter then no need to debate. Statistics is available to settle that question segment wise. I feel that the title should include the parameter(s) for being nominated into this Hall of fame. Like " The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade in terms of fuel efficiency / comfort ..." etc.

P.S : How to define " Comfort"?.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 17:06   #72
BHPian

I am literally shocked to see some Bhpians mentioning the best machines like Thar, Isuzu MU7 in this thread.

How is Thar a worst vehicle as its sole purpose is off-road. Comfort and performance cannot go in parallel. To get one, one has to compromise other. Rolls Royce cannot be a performer (when I say performer I mean all terrain) and similarly Thar cannot be a part of the luxury segment.

Coming to the rattles and leaks that will for sure happen because of the old school technology used in the vehicle as the modern technology could be expensive to repair/replace when going in extreme conditions. If Thar is brought into this thread why leave Gypsy? I have no offense with the fellow Bhpians commenting on Thar but my perception is Thar is truly a performer (I personally use it in City, highways and also off-road.

To me the all time disastrous vehicle would be Sonalika Rhino, both the predecessor and the Rhino Extreme. ICML was successful enough to copy the qualis exterior (initial Rhino model) but the performance remains a disaster and the Aircon is for sure a cooler thing (the sound is just unbearable and the cooling is also a gamble).
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 18:06   #73
BHPian

My opinion may be met with some disagreement but in terms of sheer looks (both exterior and interior) I hated the Toyota Etios.
Laxman9192 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 18:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringIndian View Post

1. Tata ARIA
2. Maruti Suzuki Kizashi
3. Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo
I have two of the three mentioned - #1 and #3. And they've been mentioned several times in this thread. In my humble (admittedly biased) opinion neither qualifies to be in the 10 worst cars list. One is a competent product let down by atrocious QC and overly optimistic pricing, and the other one is simply a case of wrong product marketing and placement.

The Kizashi also absolutely doesn't deserve to be in the list - a well engineered proper sedan let down by Maruti's (then) inability to sell cars priced higher than a million.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 18:43   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
How can anyone omit the TATA Manza from this list. I remember seeing this car first at my local TATA Motors service station being prepped before launch and the staff was embarrassed when i noticed the car and asked them about it. And sure enough it was a sales disaster for TATA.
I don't quite agree with you. The Manza may not have been a sales champion, but it was certainly not a disaster by any means!

Also it offered decent features, a backseat experience that could easily give competition to cars from a couple of segments above and an incredible VFM package. For sure it may not have had German/Hyundai level quality of interiors but it was still reasonable because of the price that it was being offered . And mind you, its competitors at that time - Verito, Etios and Dzire didn't really fare well in this department as well!
Shashwat.75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks