Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2020, 12:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It doesn't deserve to be on this thread cause it wasn't one of the worst indian cars.
Forget about being the worst, it was amongst the best cars and that's what I've indicated in my post.

Quote:
Please don't confuse low sales for the car being amongst the worst.
As GTO mentions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Note: This is NOT a subjective list. It's also based on market performance
this thread is based on market performance. Market Performance = Sales.

He also mentions that this is NOT a subjective list and that means that the definition of "worst" is not open to individual interpretation but related to market performance.
Old 1st February 2020, 12:23   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
this thread is based on market performance. Market Performance = Sales.

He also mentions that this is NOT a subjective list and that means that the definition of "worst" is not open to individual interpretation but related to market performance.
Agreed but it should be a factor of both. Else we can start adding the JTP cars, the old octavia and Laura VRS, the S-cross 1.6, Ritz, ignis, Renault Fluence, Abarth Punto and a few more. All of the above were not market performers.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 12:47   #108
BHPian

Looking at the direction this thread is going, I think I should I put this here just as a gentle reminder. I'm sure most of you would've seen this Top Gear special. (If you haven't, it's a MUST WATCH!)

IMHO, what JC said at 0.30 should be given priority for picking the WORST car over everything else : " Made by a manufacturer that should've known better". Agreed, sales should be a big factor. But what I feel is that when you make a terrible car it'll automatically show in the sales. Case in point, my pick, the Celerio Diesel. I'm pretty sure it would be the least sold Maruti car south of 10 lakhs in the last decade. But what people have to realize is that, it's inverse is not always true. Just because the sales is not there, doesn't mean it's the worst car. Case in point, Maruti Kizashi. To date I've seen only three of them in person, including one that was owned by a Maruti dealer's family. But does that mean it's the worst car Maruti made in the last decade? I don't think so.
So my humble request is to look at the bigger picture before randomly calling out all the duds and quirky looking ones which were launched in the last decade (I'm seeing a lot from the previous decade as well) as I'm sure that list is going to include much much more than 10 cars. Peace

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 1st February 2020 at 12:57.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 12:53   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2dream View Post
I hope sense prevails with them from hereon
You'd wish. I was amazed by the features list rumours of the xuv300 and was genuinely interested in the car and I had one of the biggest disappointments in recent times when I saw it in person. I can digest the small boot and the weird rear seat but that side profile is unforgivable, as far as I am concerned. I'm even more disappointed now after its crash test results because it could have been the perfect C-SUV, great engines, great features, great build quality.

Last edited by SaiSW : 1st February 2020 at 12:57.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 13:39   #110

Quote:
Agreed but it should be a factor of both. Else we can start adding the JTP cars, the old octavia and Laura VRS, the S-cross 1.6, Ritz, ignis, Renault Fluence, Abarth Punto and a few more. All of the above were not market performers.
The Cedia was dreary and too outdated when it was launched, the Evo was great but grossly overpriced. The Yaris we received weren't as equipped compared to the competition. You are correct, they belong to the category of flop cars instead of worst cars and the difference between the ones I mentioned and you mentioned are that ones you mentioned were priced right but didn't sway the consumer's heartstrings, while the ones I mentioned were seriously overpriced and under-equipped compared to their international brethren.
Old 1st February 2020, 15:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed but it should be a factor of both.
Ideally yes. But as the OP has defined "worst" as lack of sales, the criterion has been laid down and so only cars that have not sold well come under the category of "worst" for the discussions under this thread.
Old 1st February 2020, 15:54   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Ideally yes. But as the OP has defined "worst" as lack of sales, the criterion has been laid down and so only cars that have not sold well come under the category of "worst" for the discussions under this thread.
As far as I understand GTO never said in the OP that market performance is the sole criterion for deciding worst cars of the decade. He says it is "also based on market performance". In my understanding of English language it means that market performance is one of the criteria, but there are other criteria as well. Only GTO can clarify.

PS. If indeed sales numbers are the only criteria for deciding what is worst, then I suggest the OP to change the title of the thread to "10 worst selling Indian cars of the decade" because quite frankly the current title is very misleading.
Old 1st February 2020, 15:59   #113
BHPian

I see the KUV100 getting a lot of flak in this thread and I do agree that it is an eyesore to look at(more so when it is accessorized/modified) but this thread was never about ugly cars nor about flop cars or cars that you hate but about cars that were badly engineered and cars that sucked.

I too hated the KUV100 to its very core because my perception of it was limited to its looks until my sister became adamant to buy one and bought the KUV100 nxt K6+ (P).

Firstly, it is a very very good city car, small footprint, high sitting position, good mileage and very spacious, cabin-width wise, good GC for dug-up Indian roads. The rear seat is wide enough to comfortably accommodate 3 decently built adults. Has a very comfortable ride quality at city speeds (I would rate it better than my Honda City at city speeds) and the touchscreen system is fluid and responsive ( a 17 lac+ Hector has a laggy touchscreen!), good sounding speakers and interior plastic quality is good enough for the price segment.

Moreover, IMO when viewed directly from the front or back, it doesn't look bad, only the side profile is quirky.
Name one car that someone can buy at 6.5 lacs on-road with this much practicality. Sure it isn't built that good but then none of the cars at this pricepoint were going to set GNCAP ratings on fire until a short time back (looking at you Tiago).

Thus, for all of you including the KUV100 in your worst car lists, please give the poor thing some lax and not only judge it by its looks . I think it does well for what Mahindra wanted it to be ie. a compact & practical city car albeit for the over the top styling but then it's a Mahindra at the end of the day .
Old 1st February 2020, 18:53   #114
BHPian

The top ten worst cars of all time sold in India:
1) the country's first "sporty" car. San Storm
2) Premier Rio compact "SUV"
3) DC Avanti
4) Force one SUV
5) Standard 2000
6) Premier 118NE
7) Mahindra Invader
8) Ambassador Nova
9) Reva
10) Sonalika Rhino
Interestingly apart from the 118NE and standard 2000 all other cars were sold in the last decade or and the maximum post 2005 onwards

Last edited by AirbusCapt : 1st February 2020 at 18:55.
Old 1st February 2020, 19:42   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Indian market has matured so much that you'd be hard-pressed to find a truly bad car on sale today. Most 2020 cars are either good or acceptable. However, ever so often, a rotten apple does somehow get launched...defying taste, common sense, research & wisdom .
I wonder, how many of you have read these few lines from the opening post, before contributing to this thread!

Anyways updating the list to help Bhpians, so things do not get repetitive!

1) Mahindra Quanto
2) DC Avanti
3) Premier Rio
4) Datsun Go / Go+
5) Ashok Leyland Stile
6) Isuzu MU-7
7) Mahindra Verito Vibe
8) Force One
9) Chevrolet Sail / U-VA
10) Renault Koleos

11) Mahindra Kuv100
12) Maruti Celerio Diesel
13) ICML Rhino
14) Mahindra Thar
15) Mahindra NuvoSport
16) Renault Scala
17) Ford Classic
18) Ford Fiesta (new)
19) Renault Captur
20) Honda Mobilio
21) Nissan Sunny
22) Toyota Etios cross
23) Tata Movus
24) Maruti Zen Estilo
25) Maruti A-Star
26) Mahindra Reva
27) Chevrolet Enjoy
28) San Storm
29) Nissan Evalia
30) Mitsubishi Montero
31) VW Ameo
32) Toyota Yaris
33) Mitsubishi Cedia
34) Mitsubishi Lancer EVO
35) Tata Venture
36) Tata Manza
37) Maruti Zen Classic
38) Ford Fusion
39) VW Polo Dsg
40) VW Vento Dsg
41) Maruti Dzire
42) Nissan Micra
43) Fiat Punto
44) Fiat Linea
45) Tata ARIA
46) Maruti Suzuki Kizashi
47) Renault Fluence
48) Suzuki Stingray
49) Maruti S-presso
50) Hyundai Eon
51) Tata Estate
52) Chevrolet Tavera
53) Mahindra Tuv300
54) Chevrolet SR-V
55) Skoda Octavia Combi
56) Volvo V90
57) Mercedes Benz E Class All Terrain
58) Honda Accord (Current Gen)
59) Tata Bolt
60) Chevrolet Aveo
61) Chevrolet U-VA
62) Ambassador Nova
63) Renault Pulse
64) Hyundai Creta
65) Ford Ecosport
66) Mahindra Xylo
67) Maruti AltoK10
68) Hyundai SantaFe
69) Mahindra Xuv300
70) Mitsubishi Cedia
71) Toyota Etios
72) Standard 2000
73) Premier 118NE
74) Mahindra Invader
75) Maruti Dzire 1st Gen

Last edited by Samba : 1st February 2020 at 19:57.
Samba is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 21:53   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I wonder, how many of you have read these few lines from the opening post, before contributing to this thread!

Anyways updating the list to help Bhpians, so things do not get repetitive!
Thanks for summing it up. Looks like people's eagerness to contribute one way or other trumps their willingness to understand the question fully.

Not helping is that people truly believe that the cars they like/drive deserves all superlatives and the ones they don't like deserves nothing but bashings.

Some of the entrants are ridiculous. How can linea or xuv 300 or Quanto can ever be called a bad product?
prakash_ajp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:27   #117
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the great discussion, guys! Most of you got the point of this thread, but some of you didn't . Either ways, was an interesting thread that should now be brought to an end.

Discussion closed.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks