Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 00:05   #1
BHPian

Brand new Tata Hexa won't start! Lying at dealer since 9 days EDIT : Resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Finally! Took delivery of our Hexa XT 4X2 June 2019 Make last evening.

Dealer is Inderjit Cars, Mira Bhayandar....
So we've been having quite a roller coaster of an ownership for the past two weeks.

Grab your popcorn, it's going to be long.

Delivery evening: Had told the SA during PDI to iron out some issues. As expected he didn't bother. These were minor stuff only Bhpians would notice. So I didn't make a scene for that.

Later on D Day: Was excited. So went for a drive alone around 10.30 pm. Air con off and no music. Windows rolled down. Everything is great. Hit a patch of rough road and I hear some squeaks from the dashboard! You have to roll up the windows to hear it. I try to ignore. Thinking its a figment of my imagination. But no, it's there. Even on undulating roads, not just bad roads.

Day 3: Spray WD 40 on door handles and they smoothen out. On hinges too. They're smoother now.

Day 4: Go for a 70 km drive. Notice a heartbeat feeling while depressing the clutch. (Rogue flywheel?)

Day 5: Have a chat with the GM of Inderjit TASS. He asks to come over. Prepare to leave for TASS to fix the squeaking issue. Start the car and the drive mode selector lights up like a christmas tree. Check engine light is on! Drive over to TASS. No issues with the power delivery on the way. The GM says we just need to reflash the ECU. And it works. Then they check the suspension and find the right suspension bush to be rubbing against the chassis. That was the squeaking! They realign it. Squeaking gone. There's a rubber stopper on the concealed portion of the wiper cowl. The left one was missing. I pointed out the same and they had it in stock! I asked to update the ICE. It was Jan 2019 version. And the GM point blank says that's the latest. I wonder how's that possible considering the 7 inch ICE was introduced in March 2019. Have a chat with SA about the clutch and he says everything's fine. The service was 8/10. God knows where these guys were during PDI. Well, either no PDI was done (obviously) or the management and technicians changed overnight.

Day 8: We leave for Mangalore. Have planned a halt at Honnavar. Everything is fine till we reach Khambatki (Satara) Ghat. I start hearing a faint rattle. Now the problem is, the cabin is so silent, you could hear a dog fart from outside the car if the engine is running below 1700 rpm. So I try to ignore it. We stop for refreshments and I restart the car. Android auto is malfunctioning. I 'flick' the wiper stalk and only water jets come out and no wiper movement. Go ahead for a Km. Restart the car. NO. Wipers won't budge. Same with the rear wiper. They do move when you flick the stalk in the single swipe mode. The rattle is irritating in the meantime. I stop, get out and it sounds scary. Turn off the car. Wait for a couple of minutes. Restart, rattle gone. Now we drive another 500 kms without any sounds. Just some slight sound from the front right suspension. But you'd have to work your ears hard to hear it.

Day 9: Start off at around 6.20 am. Fill up the tank. Distance covered is 840 kms. Mileage is 15.4. We're content and impressed. Not bad for a 2.2 ton truck. Start the car post filling gas. And there's a faint screeching sound on start up. The rattle is back! Go a couple of metres ahead. Turn off the car. Wait for a minute. Start the car. No drama during or after cranking. We move on. Attend a function. Turn the ignition and nothing. I pray to the Gods. A couple of relatives are seated. Wait for a minute. Crank again, it starts without drama. We move on.

Day 10: Go to Kateel temple. Get pooja done. Move on to Tass here in Mangalore. Tell them about the wiper issue. And the SA pulls on the wiper and the wipers are in action! So I was flicking the stalk for a second or two and letting it go (like I used to in the Dzire). So the wipers wouldn't budge. Apparently you have to pull on the stalks for over 3 seconds and then the wipers spring in action. They update the ICE to the latest version. Nothing special. March 2019 version. Experience 10/10.

Day 11: Leave for our native village from Mangalore. Couple of relatives in tow. Halt at a spot to pick up a relative. Turn off the car. Relative comes after couple of minutes. Try starting the car. Won't budge! Starts in the 4th attempt. Uneventful day post that. Just relatives raving about the build and ride. Little did they or I know about the impending issue.

Day 12: Relatives are gone. We stay back at our ancestral home. I start discussing the starting issue with my dad. Our plan was to leave for Mumbai within 3 days from our native village. We try starting the car, hoping to hear that cameoing screech. Screech is heard and car doesn't start. Car finally starts in the 4th attempt. We decide to take the car back to Mangalore TASS the next day. Call them up and SA tells to have a chat with RSA. We call up RSA and 2 chaps turn up within 45 mins! They try starting the car. Their boss is on the phone. They immediately deduce that the starter motor has conked off. They also say there's a chance of the flywheel being a collateral damage. RSA service 10/10

Day 13: I pray while cranking and the engine fires up on first attempt. We go to Mangalore. Drop the car at TASS. SA tells the same. Starter motor has conked off. Gives us a heads up that don't expect the car for the next 5-6 days parts need to come from Pune.

Day 14: We revisit TASS. SA tells there's slight damage to the flywheel. Both would be replaced and they're awaiting approval from TATA.

So two weeks and the car has almost spent 2 full days at TASS. Will be there for the entirety of 3rd week too I guess.

It's just irritating. How can a starter motor fail so early? Or is it the flywheel which was rogue leading the starter motor to conk off? I don't know what the guys in the factory are upto. Our car is a June 2019 make and there's none of those speed limit chimes and indicators. As much as I don't want them, makes me wonder what else is missing. Our SA told he'll update the ECU to the latest version before delivery.

The whole experience has been a mixed ball. For all the flack TASS gets, its TASS and RSA that have stood out (until now) and the product (factory finish) which has faltered. For now, I would rate the factory work, QC & PDI a -10 and TASS & RSA a +8.

Product issues:
Suspension squeak : Resolved
Faint unknown noise from front right side of suspension on bad roads : Unresolved
Fitment issues - Instrument cowl, panel beneath steering rack, HMSL cover panel : Unresloved
Starter motor & Flywheel replacement : Underway

Product Pros:
Efficient highway cruiser
Solid build
Presence
Comfort
Ride quality (subject to tire pressure on extremely bad roads) You could discredit the Hexa's ride quality as overrated. Even I am guilty of that. But that is only till you notice how much other vehicles slow down over bad patches and you are flying over.

Would like to thank bhpian ram87pune, and the THOR groups in helping to hold on to my sanity in this roller coaster of an ownership period.
TROOPER is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:51   #2
BHPian

Not Gold Standard, Tata Motor's Plastic Standard Customer Support

Those following the Hexa thread will be aware of my plight.

As I write this, our Hexa, delivery taken on 9th January 2020, completes 9 days, lying idle at TASS Mangalore out of 20 days of ownership period.

I won't get into the specifics of bad QC and PDI standards of the factory and dealer respectively. You can check my detailed post here (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

This post is to let members and visitors alike, to know where Tata stands today with respect to customer support and turnaround time for spares. To those who think Skoda ASS is a ticket to a horror show, well, try getting a ticket to the horror show produced and directed from Pune.

At the onset, I would clarify that I still love my car, and will continue to do so. The Hexa never failed (and I hope doesn't) to bring a smile to my face while driving it. But the regular popping up of niggles used to spoil the ride.

Post taking delivery of our Hexa on 9th January, we planned a week long trip to Mangalore, starting from Mumbai on the 16th. Enroute, I noticed delay or a slight roughness while starting the car. The troubled starts would be accompanied by a rattling from underneath the car. Zero rattling on smooth start up. We had a family event at our native village on the 19th and planned to visit TASS to rectify this issue post that.

Enroute to the event on the 19th, couple of relatives in tow, the car failed to start. Finally started on the 4th or 5th attempt. No drama post that for 24 hours.

On the 20th, the car failed to start. After a couple minutes, probably on the 5th or 6th attempt it started without any drama. We called up customer support and RSA was at our place within 45 minutes. They said its a faulty starter motor, probably the teeth missing the flywheel, and the car starting up only when they're properly aligned. They also said the flywheel could be collateral damage.

We reached TASS at 9am sharp on the 21st. Handed over our car. Preliminary examination by the SA was done and he agreed with RSA's diagnosis. But said final decision will be taken post opening the starter up and checking things out.

It took TASS 24 hrs to open up stuff and apply for starter motor and flywheel warranty. Post that everything is a blur. The GM of service gives one timeline, and the CSM Karnataka, the one who is supposed to approve warranty gives another timeline. He went on to blame Automatrix Mangalore, citing internal issues at the dealership for the delay. A THOR Karnataka Whatsapp group member, who has been Automatrix's customer since 2002, quickly called the GM up and assured me that there's no 'internal issues' at the dealer.

We had written a mail to customer support and Subhajit Roy, Head Customer Care (Service & Spare Parts) informing them of our plight and asking them to assist Automatrix in quick resolution of the matter and here's the response we get after 2 days.

Brand new Tata Hexa won't start! Lying at dealer since 9 days EDIT : Resolved.-tataass.jpg

These idiots refer the case to Inderjit Cars, and CSM Mumbai. When the car is off road in Mangalore! To add fuel to the fire, zero, I repeat, zero calls or follow up from customer care till now asking about the status or our feedback.

It's amazing, how the fact that a 2 week old car, lying at TASS for 9 days has failed to raise a single eyebrow back in Pune. This is how Tata has decided to treat the customer of their 2 million rupee car.

It is 3.45 PM, Day 9 as I write this. The CSM Karnataka assured delivery of spares today, and delivery of car tomorrow ie. day 10, and we have not yet received a phone call confirming receipt of spares from TASS Mangalore.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th January 2020 at 15:55. Reason: Changing 2019 to 2020
TROOPER is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:59   #3
BHPian

re: Brand new Tata Hexa won't start! Lying at dealer since 9 days EDIT : Resolved.

Sorry to hear your plight. Irrespective of which Manufacturer and what Car, something can go wrong with an Automobile be it an electrical, mechanical or whatever component.

But what cannot be forgiven is, how the customer care, service responds to a customer's need. The least they can do is call you and assure that all will be taken care of at regular intervals and keep you updated.
NFS2024 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 16:24   #4
BHPian

re: Brand new Tata Hexa won't start! Lying at dealer since 9 days EDIT : Resolved.

When the Tata Altroz 5 star in GNCAP thread came online, I did see some of our esteemed members asking others to refrain from posting anything negative since they didn't want it to turn into another TATA bashing thread. In the same vein, I would like to ask the same group of esteemed members to kindly refrain from posting experiences of their niggle free Tata Hexas, Nexons, Tigors and Tiagos. Because the OP is looking for help/advice on how to get his steed on the road.

As for the OP, unfortunately I cant help with this situation but hope that this is resolved at the earliest. I did hear on Team Bhp itself that Hexa owners were treated like kings at the service center. Not sure if that has changed with the arrival of the Harrier now. I hope that is not the case here.

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th January 2020 at 19:34. Reason: Language toned down
JithinR is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 16:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
zero calls or follow up from customer care till now asking about the status or our feedback.
The car buying process is far from being easy, especially in the Indian context. Once you like a car, first, your family needs to be convinced by you. Then there are armchair critics who you have to counter, that neighbor who's just bought a rival brand, that family friend who is critical of all Indian brands etc etc.

After all that ordeal, from which you barely make it out unscathed, you pray and hope that the decision you made will hold you good for many years to come.

Its appalling that such a thing can happen with a new car. And that too one that costs over Rs 20 lakhs of hard earned money.

It reminded me about those days when I used to get my Fiat Grande Punto serviced at Tata-Fiat service centers. The Tata folks were least interested to look after Fiat cars.

Then the Manza came. The niggles were persistent, all through. Permanently ruined the chances of Tata as an option when I was deciding for a SUV. We liked the Harrier, but just couldn't think of plonking 20 big ones on a Tata car. After reading about your ordeal, I'm glad I took that decision.

It also saddens me. That a company that can offer such a fantastic product like the Nexon EV doesn't really care what happens after the owner takes his car home.

Try tweeting @TataMotors as well. It's helped at times to bring the issue into limelight and necessitated prompt action.

Last edited by coolkurt : 29th January 2020 at 16:32.
coolkurt is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 17:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Really feel sorry for the situation you are facing with a new car Trooper. I hope this thread goes to the homepage and costs Tata some sales. They really deserve some punishment.

Spare parts situation at every TASS is horrible. I dread the day I have to go to my TASS for a failed part. I am sure even for a broken ORVM, they would need 10 days for the parts to arrive from Pune. This is especially true in case of rare models like Hexa. In this case, the disturbing fact is that such a part failed in the early days. It raises questions about their quality control and factory PDI.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 17:11   #7
BHPian

Please tweet this to Pratap Bose and Vivek Shrivastava along with Tata Motors. They are active on Twitter and reply to almost everything and might help. And please share your tweet link here so maximum Bhpians can retweet it.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:08   #8
BHPian

Try writing escalation mail to customercare@tatamotors.com. Generally they respond quickly to escalations on this email id.
Old 29th January 2020, 18:29   #9
BHPian

Re: Not Gold Standard, Tata Motor's Plastic Standard Customer Support

Quote:
It is 3.45 PM, Day 9 as I write this. The CSM Karnataka assured delivery of spares today, and delivery of car tomorrow ie. day 10, and we have not yet received a phone call confirming receipt of spares from TASS Mangalore.
So we had a chat with the CSM Karnataka. He took the GM of service Automatrix on conference, now the CSM says the spare will reach TASS by 11-11.30 am tomorrow. This spare was supposed to reach TASS on 27th January, Monday.

The CSM keeps trying to put it on the GM. The GM has assured delivery tomorrow.

Would like to inform members and visitors, that the company is solely responsible for the delay IMO.

Now the CSM of Karnataka is saying that's it's a VOR order. Then what were they upto from the 22nd to 24th?

The CSM also said there are 'internal issues'. What am I supposed to do if your internal issues continue for another month?

Have tweeted to Tata Motors. They came up with the standard reply asking for contact and chassis number. Nothing post that.
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Faint unknown noise from front right side of suspension on bad roads : Unresolved[/i]
Sorry to hear about your ordeal buddy, hope you get your steed back soon.
Does you car come with side steps installed? The reason am asking is that the local Tata dealer had an instance in which a brand new Hexa was making a similar noise which was later traced to improper fitting of the side steps.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So we had a chat with the CSM Karnataka. He took the GM of service Automatrix on conference, now the CSM says the spare will reach TASS by 11-11.30 am tomorrow. This spare was supposed to reach TASS on 27th January, Monday.
Have they shared any courier tracking number with you which you can verify online? If not, on what basis are they giving the ETA of tomorrow morning? And why does the part need to come from Pune? Isn't there a single dealer in South India, say within 400 kms of Mangalore, who has a starter motor and flywheel in stock that they can dispatch to Mangalore?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th January 2020 at 19:04.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Does you car come with side steps installed?
No. No side steps were installed. On the contrary we got them installed today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Have they shared any courier tracking number with you which you can verify online? If not, on what basis are they giving the ETA of tomorrow morning?
Here's where things take a turn for the ridiculous.

For two days the GM was saying the spares cannot be tracked. Now an hour ago he says he had a chat with Blue Dart and they'll be delivered tomorrow by 11.30 AM. How am I supposed to believe anyone from Tata? Suddenly Blue Dart tracking went rogue for two days? That too the from one of the best logistics companies in the country?

I knew Tata A.S.S. and customer care is not up there with Maruti. Didn't know they're exponentially stupid and indifferent.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th January 2020 at 19:40. Reason: Typos.
TROOPER is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:05   #13
BHPian

I have zero experience when it comes to car buying and related advice on technicalities, but what I can say is that, elevate this to the highest level through all methods of contacting Tata management. You have bought their most expensive car and deserve treatment that is above expected standards. They will keep giving you excuses, ignore them and demand for a proper solution.

My father's Kia Seltos's air purifier conked off soon after delivery, and after initially trying to get a proper response from Frontier Kia and their service station, he ended up elevating it, and the air purifier unit was promptly replaced.
BZ25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How am I supposed to believe anyone from Tata. Suddenly Blue Dart tracking went rogue for two days? That too the from one of the best logistics company in in the country?
Hmm, ok. I can understand your frustration and angst at the way things have unfolded till now, specially being a customer of TML's premier offering.

However, one piece of (gratuitous) advice that I would like to give is, once the spare parts come, please stay calm and allow the Tata ASC enough time to do a thorough and quality job. If you keep breathing down their neck, they might do slipshod work just to get rid of you, and the whole drama will repeat itself.

Also, don't forget to collect all documentation like bills/invoices related to this warranty replacement, as replaced spare parts (other than consumables) have a warranty period of their own (something like 6 months, IIRC).

All the best and do let us know how it goes!
comfortablynumb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:50   #15
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Why does the part need to come from Pune? Isn't there a single dealer in South India, say within 400 kms of Mangalore, who has a starter motor and flywheel in stock that they can dispatch to Mangalore ?
Warranty replacements don't work like that.

If at all a part has failed, the dealer will have to first open a warranty claim and inform the manufacturer. There may be different names given to this process like token, ticket etc. If the dealer changes a part without permission/confirmation and later on the company rejects the claim for that replaced part, the dealer will have to have to bear the cost of that part.

Once the claim is approved, the customer will be informed of the same and will be in line for the replacement. This was done in the OP's case also. The OP will need to remain calm as warranty replacements take time, he is not the only one who is waiting for parts in the whole country. The manufacturer will dispatch the parts only and only according to the token and the dealer will be helpless here as he cannot change the faulty part with a new part even if he has it in his own store.

The new parts will come from the manufacturer directly to the service center and the faulty parts are also sent back to the manufacturer to complete the warranty claim. Most of the '17 Honda City owners who faced problems with the AVN unit have waited for around 20 days, some even 40 days for replacement.

If the OP doesn't want to keep the car at the dealer waiting for parts, he should have asked the dealer to swap the faulty parts with those of a test drive vehicle for the time being.
OSH is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed