Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 20:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Not Gold Standard, Tata Motor's Plastic Standard Customer Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
....the dealer will be helpless here as he cannot change the faulty part with a new part even if he has it in his own store....
Probably a little OT, but are you sure about the quoted part above? I myself have had 2 warranty replacements done on my Scorpio (RHS front power window motor due to slow operation and intermittent conking off, LHS headlight assembly due to fogging) solely at the SA's discretion. He didn't even need to consult his Service Manager, forget the company. Of course, he must have done the warranty related paperwork later on, but what I mean is the actual replacement was pretty much on the spot.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th January 2020 at 20:05.
comfortablynumb is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 20:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Warranty replacements don't work like that.
......Most of the '17 Honda City owners who faced problems with the AVN unit have waited for around 20 days, some even 40 days for replacement.
For all the defence you seem to be making for the OEM, why wasn't I informed of the same? Why was I informed that the car would be available by the 28th?

The warranty was cleared on 22nd eve/23rd. Why wasn't the VOR claim filed immediately as per company policy? Why only on 27th? As per Tata, a VOR claim has to be filed if the car is not in driving condition. And the part is supposed to reach in 48 hours. I can accept a day's delay for a tier 2 city.

Quote:
If the OP doesn't want to keep the car at the dealer waiting for parts, he should have asked the dealer to swap the faulty parts with those of a test drive vehicle for the time being.
I am in an out of town location. You expect me to go around driving in my brand new car with spares taken from TD vehicles? Or make a 1000 km trip back to Mumbai with the same? Easier said than done. Don't give the customer care a leeway for their incompetence.

Not all Hexa owners out there have the opportunity to post about their inconveniences here. There are many such cases out there. One of the Hexa owners, whose Hexa's 2nd cylinder refused to fire up, was sent the wrong engine for his warranty claim. He took delivery of his brand new car on the 8th of Jan and his Hexa has been lying at TASS since 13th Jan. Would like to see you use a similar tone with him too.

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th January 2020 at 22:41. Reason: Language toned down
TROOPER is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:03   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
I am in an out of town location. You expect me to go around driving in my brand new car with spares taken from TD vehicles? Or make a 1000 km trip back to Mumbai with the same?
I think as a stop gap solution, the dealer must have arranged for a spare part from a different dealer or at least from Bangalore. They could have shipped it overnight so that you could drive back to your city and then continue the formalities. Sometimes, rules and processes will have to be bent by the company. Target is to get back the vehicle on road as early as possible. That will keep the customer cool. I think Bangalore dealers must have had a good inventory of spares. If the customer care or the dealer sticks to process, approvals and so on, it will just frustrate the customer like in your case. I hope you get the part soon and the vehicle will be back running tomorrow.

Quote:
Warranty replacements don't work like that.

If at all a part has failed, the dealer will have to first open a warranty claim and inform the manufacturer.
Perhaps that depends upon the manufacturer. I have never had to wait for a warranty replacement part to arrive in Maruti unless the dealer did not have stock. The spares are procured from the available inventory and replaced. Later the defective part is sent back to the company to claim refund/replacement for the part that the dealer installed from his spare part inventory. The only time an approval was required was for a new clutch kit since it was a wear and tear part and my car had done 20k kms or so. The other important thing is if this part is causing a breakdown or not. If the failed part is something which doesnt cause a break down, then its acceptable to wait for the replacement to arrive. But if a new car has met this state, then the company and dealer must be a little more proactive.
audioholic is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think as a stop gap solution, the dealer must have arranged for a spare part from a different dealer or at least from Bangalore.
In the heat of the moment, I did forget to mention that. Automatrix Mangalore did try that. But apparently the starter motor and flywheel aren't normal spares as per them and had to come from Pune.

What got my goat was, Tata customer care trying to shove the responsibility on the dealer. When it's clear it is their internal processes that have botched the timelines up.

Doesn't matter what, for a company based with 100% of its operations in India, it's a crime to wait for anything over a week for a case as simple as ours.

I reiterate, it's Tata Motors that have botched things up. TASS Manglore have been supportive.

Mods changed the original title of the thread, and it kind of sends a wrong message. It's Tata's customer care and service managers who have botched up, not the dealer.

Last edited by TROOPER : 29th January 2020 at 21:13.
TROOPER is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Brand new Tata Hexa won't start! Lying at dealer since 9 days EDIT : Resolved.

Hmm. I would be very very pissed off if this had happened to me. I think Trooper has actually been calm. I would have certainly raised hell at the dealership, I would have probably worked out of the dealers office until the car came out as opposed to relying on WhatsApp updates. Eye contact usually makes sure things speed the hell up.

And that’s what I did when my ford injectors failed when I was driving by a tier two town. The local ford dealer found me 4 new injectors and promised receipt and delivery within 48 hours. I elected to have them all removed, hand carry to Bangalore, have them serviced, came and fitted them on, and drive back. Dealer was extremely courteous and supportive all the way. I was at the dealer from 9 am to 7 pm every day. They knew I was dead bloody serious about the car.

Trooper, you need to play good cop bad cop or be passive aggressive. Don’t piss people off, but be pushy and get things moving. Being there at the dealer every day the whole day will, I promise you, make things move at warp speed.

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th January 2020 at 22:07.
Red Liner is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:53   #21
BHPian

re: Brand new Tata Hexa won't start! Lying at dealer since 9 days EDIT : Resolved.

Hi
Just FYI about warranty replacements with Tata at TASC
My Tiago had a fuel pump failure at 35k kms odo within city (Pune). This was in Sept 2018. One year old car.
Car was towed on a flatbed at nearest service Centre. (Balaji motors, Aundh)
It was a Saturday evening and car could be towed only after about 4 hours later by 9.30 as I couldn't wait besides the car till tow truck came, I went off to work on my patients. The driver of tow truck patiently waited for me to finish my work and was appreciated for the same
Tiago was checked the next day and warranty claim was filed on Monday. ETA for repair and delivery was given as Saturday, one week from the original instance of failure, as the part would have to come from Tata motors themselves, earmarked for warranty replacement.
I escalated this issue to the GM of the same TASC and asked for a replacement vehicle for the time being or me being reimbursed for my cab bills.
Without any sort of fuss at all, by Wednesday the same week, I was given a replacement of the said part from their stock, subject to the condition that if any issues with warranty replacement occur, I will have to pay the expenses from my pocket. I obliged, and they did too!

Also, our local Tiago club, PTC, worked their charm too.
Torq is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 22:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
When the Tata Altroz 5 star in GNCAP thread came online, I did see some of our esteemed members asking others to refrain from posting anything negative since they didn't want it to turn into another TATA bashing thread. In the same vein, I would like to ask the same group of esteemed members to kindly refrain from posting experiences of their niggle free Tata Hexas, Nexons, Tigors and Tiagos. Because the OP is looking for help/advice on how to get his steed on the road.

As for the OP, unfortunately I cant help with this situation but hope that this is resolved at the earliest. I did hear on Team Bhp itself that Hexa owners were treated like kings at the service center. Not sure if that has changed with the arrival of the Harrier now. I hope that is not the case here.
When you are pretty sure about the text in bold, I don't see a pinch of value addition to this thread or the OPs issue. I hope to see some action from Mods, leaving aside the topic is against TATA.

Quote:
Suddenly Blue Dart tracking went rogue for two days? That too the from one of the best logistics companies in the country?
Sorry about your bitter experience and I wish you get the truck back tomorrow with the issues sorted out to (y)our expectation.
I had plenty of such experience with Bluedart in past. In-fact I stopped using their service for past couple of years.

Quote:
If at all a part has failed, the dealer will have to first open a warranty claim and inform the manufacturer.
The OP will need to remain calm as warranty replacements take time, he is not the only one who is waiting for parts in the whole country. The manufacturer will dispatch the parts only and only according to the token and the dealer will be helpless here as he cannot change the faulty part with a new part even if he has it in his own store.
I fully agree on the procedure you mentioned, but the customer can be patient to some extent when the reason is valid. There is a clear guideline for warranty claim and approval process (though it varies across OEs) which says the approval team should process the claim within 'x' hours and if the parts are to be sent from the central warehouse, shipment should happen within 'y' hours. Delivery portion depends on a lot of external factors and if the customer is made clear on this process and the dealer is transparent enough to show the progress to customer half of this dissatisfaction and dealer bashing will not happen.

Quote:
If the OP doesn't want to keep the car at the dealer waiting for parts, he should have asked the dealer to swap the faulty parts with those of a test drive vehicle for the time being.
Cannot happen with all the cases. If that's the only test drive / demo vehicle with that dealer (mostly the case with Hexa) dealer cannot afford to loose multiple potential customers to satisfy a single existing customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Probably a little OT, but are you sure about the quoted part above? I myself have had 2 warranty replacements done on my Scorpio (RHS front power window motor due to slow operation and intermittent conking off, LHS headlight assembly due to fogging) solely at the SA's discretion.
When the issue is already known or common, warranty replacements do happen without any approval process.

Quote:
Perhaps that depends upon the manufacturer. I have never had to wait for a warranty replacement part to arrive in Maruti unless the dealer did not have stock.
No wonders they are ruling out market. Others should learn 'how to keep the customer happy' portion from Maruti.
Mr.Boss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 22:14   #23
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
For all the defence you seem to be making for the OEM, why wasn't I informed of the same? Why was I informed that the car would be available by the 28th?
First of all, I have not defended the OEM in any way. I have simply stated the procedure that is followed.

In your case, assuming that the parts are actually on the way, you are at the very end of this entire episode being finished as now the only thing remaining is replacing the faulty parts and that is why I said that the OP needs to be calm. In most of the cases the customers are stuck at the very start when the warranty claim is refused or the fault/problem is not detected at all.

Quote:
I can accept a day's delay for a tier 2 city.
The delay was bad in your case but they happen everywhere, does each and everything in our country happen on the exact given time and date ? No. It has become part and parcel of our lives now.

Quote:
You expect me to go around driving in my brand new car with spares taken from TD vehicles? Or make a 1000 km trip back to Mumbai with the same ?
You don't want to wait for spares. You don't believe the dealer or Tata representatives that the parts are on their way. You don't even want to use your 'new' car for the time being with some TD vehicle's spares. What options have you left then ? It would have been a different matter if the A.S.S was not co-operating with you for the warranty replacement but that's not the case here. If you need the car for daily use, a stop-gap arrangement would be better than nothing right ?

Quote:
If you cannot add any value to the thread or help me out, then please refrain from posting.
That is not for you to decide. If the mods feel that my post is not adding any value, they'll delete it. Just because you are frustrated by this entire ordeal, you should not get offended when someone doesn't take your side. Learn to respect another's opinion on a public forum.

Quote:
Not all Hexa owners out there have the opportunity to post about their inconveniences here. There are many such cases out there.
Even if he is not a member, he can still have it posted by contacting TeamBHP. As done in a lot of cases already, the mods will post on his behalf.

Quote:
Of course, he must have done the warranty related paperwork later on, but what I mean is the actual replacement was pretty much on the spot.
Quote:
Later the defective part is sent back to the company to claim refund/replacement for the part that the dealer installed from his spare part inventory. The only time an approval was required was for a new clutch kit since it was a wear and tear part and my car had done 20k kms or so.
Yes, I understand that there can be cases where a little twisting and turning is done but it must be only when the service center is a 100% sure that the part when sent back would not be rejected by the OEM or else the dealer will have to bear the cost. Even such on the spot replacements must by requiring some sort of confirmation or maybe the value of the parts is not very high. I agree that they do happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Delivery portion depends on a lot of external factors and if the customer is made clear on this process and the dealer is transparent enough to show the progress to customer half of this dissatisfaction and dealer bashing will not happen.
+1 Sir.

Last edited by OSH : 29th January 2020 at 22:33.
OSH is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 22:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

I understand your concerns and this was the reason why I started a new thread on virginity of new cars. Unlike you, I gave the dealer a freeway to fix the issues on the new car. I took the photos of all transplantations from a donor car despite dealer's objection. I cursed my fortune and was living with my new car. The notorious dealer called me a week back and said he had to remove few things from my car. During the great surgery of December 2019, a higher variant car was used as donor car. The surgeons left some things in the recepient car. I immediately escalated things to the manufacturer, now the dealer has agreed to bear the expenses of second surgery. The donor car too does not have replacement parts and is waiting for another donor. The Chief surgeon of this transplantation has been the TSM from the manufacturer side. My so called new car is now like a Frankenstein, he will be discharged in first week of February. My new thread was to caution people against buying a BS-4 car lying in the stock yard.

Last edited by deehunk : 29th January 2020 at 22:40.
deehunk is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 22:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You don't want to wait for spares. You don't believe the dealer or Tata representatives that the parts are on their way. You don't even want to use your 'new' car for the time being with some TD vehicle's spares. What options have you left then ?...
Please learn the entire issue before making statements. You may not be defending Tata but also realise the fact we aren't uninformed either and haven't blindly purchased a 20 lakh rupee car. We are fully aware of warranty claim procedures.

There's a PM feature on the forum. You could contact me and have known the entire issue in detail. I have every phone call made with the GM and CSM recorded.

Even after everything we went through, the 1st email we sent Tata was when the car was lying for almost 2 days at TASS. Go through my entire history with the Hexa, anyone else would have gone to customer support way before.

When TASS told it would take 4-5 days, we agreed. We also maintained decency and told Tata customer support to insist TASS Manglore to give us a loaner car, since we didn't purchase our Hexa from them, but customer support didn't even agree to give TASS Manglore a nudge. It's the lack of transparency post the completion of warranty approval and Tata's lack of customer support and follow up that irked us. I think I have made it pretty clear that TASS Manglore have been pretty supportive.

Please check every post I've made on the Hexa thread since December 20. My post number 2 also has a disclosure asking members to check the Hexa thread for full info.

This thread is not to show my frustration. It is to keep members and visitors alike informed about where Tata stands as far as customer support is concerned.

10 days is quite valuable in the India I live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
My new thread was to caution people against buying a BS-4 car lying in the stock yard.
And hence we emailed Tata only when the car was in an Off The Road state. We didn't escalate for minor niggles or improper dealer PDI. And yes, we had opted for a December 2019 make Hexa. The dealer tried sticking us a June 2019 make, which we renegotiated and settled for, since no new XTs were being manufactured in December.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st January 2020 at 08:50. Reason: Language toned down
TROOPER is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I fully agree on the procedure you mentioned, but the customer can be patient to some extent when the reason is valid. There is a clear guideline for warranty claim and approval process (though it varies across OEs) which says the approval team should process the claim within 'x' hours and if the parts are to be sent from the central warehouse, shipment should happen within 'y' hours. Delivery portion depends on a lot of external factors and if the customer is made clear on this process and the dealer is transparent enough to show the progress to customer half of this dissatisfaction and dealer bashing will not happen.
The fact that you have to explain this to members when the OP original post show that TATA failed in all these parameters is exactly the reason I made my original post. If this is not clear, then let me explain: The moment there is negative thread about TATA on this forum there will be a bunch of guys defending TATA (in this case without even reading the opening post).

For all the bias that is there against TATA in this forum (which lets be honest is because of how TATA was in the past at least sometimes) there are an extraordinary number of people who will defend TATA to their dying breath both on Youtube and all automotive forums.

There are videos of frustrated owners on Youtube complaining of the gearbox not slotting in properly in Nexon and some genius would have commented on the video about how TATA is more safe than Tin can Maruti/Hyundai.

Quote:
That is not for you to decide. If the mods feel that my post is not adding any value, they'll delete it. Just because you are frustrated by this entire ordeal, you should not get offended when someone doesn't take your side. Learn to respect another's opinion on a public forum.
You sir, seem to have conveniently left out the bold portion of the OP's response to you. Quoting it below for your benefit. He is only concerned about TATA getting any leeway even on a forum meant for automotive enthusiasts.

Quote:
If you cannot add any value to the thread or help me out, then please refrain from posting. Don't give the customer care a leeway for their incompetence.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2020 at 11:12. Reason: Please avoid personal attacks on fellow BHPians
JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 00:53   #27
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
You sir, seem to have conveniently left out the bold portion of the OP's response to you.
Sir, that is because the forum guidelines ask for only the relevant bits of a post be quoted while replying. That line of his made absolutely no sense to me and so I didn't even bother replying.

Quote:
He is only concerned about TATA getting any leeway even on a forum meant for automotive enthusiasts.
He has posted on an automotive forum which is a public forum where majority of the members don't even know each other personally, so a difference in opinion is bound to happen. One cannot expect every member to come here and write, "Yes..Yes..Tata is this..Tata is that" or "Tata should do this and that" etc. If a post is not in one's interest, move to the next one or if its against the forum rules, report it. Even if its not reported our mods find and delete the useless ones.

Opinions are not going to change by someone's hue and cry. Anyways, we'll be going off topic if we continue like this so lets not do that.
OSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 03:08   #28
BHPian

@Trooper,
Very sorry to hear about the issues with your Hexa, man.

Any such thing is not at all expected in this early stage of ownership of a new vehicle.
It's always painful to having caught in such an untoward situation as we prefer selecting a vehicle on considering many others available and then shortlisting final one of our own choice.

Hope, the Tata hierarchy will take note of your grievance in correct manner and further resolve things at the earliest.

All the very best..
Dr.Vikas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 05:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
One cannot expect every member to come here and write, "Yes..Yes..Tata is this..Tata is that" or "Tata should do this and that" etc.
Thank you so much for showing me and the forum members how a warranty claim works. I guess it's time for me and other Tata owners reading this thread to get educated on warranty claims and be calm and cool even when there's no follow up call from Tata and complete cluelessness from the CSMs. Even when Tata sends you a mail (proof on page one) with contact details of region X CSM when they know you are stuck in region Y and the customer has to personally dig up the contact of CSM of region Y. What can Tata do if the customer is a blithering idiot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
@Trooper,
Very sorry to hear about the issues with your Hexa, man. Any such thing is not at all expected in this early stage of ownership of a new vehicle....
Thank you Dr.Vikas for the kind words. The Hexa doesn't fail to put a smile on my face. Hope I'll join you at grinning like an idiot behind the steering wheel ASAP Really hope things iron out post this debacle and I get to post a sweet ownership review on the forum. Looking forward to your review of the Octy too.

Technical issues and niggles are common. Today the car completes 10 days out of 21 in the ownership period at TASS. Question is how much proactive a company is in satisfying a customer. Sadly this concept is not understood by some people in Tata.

Quote:
Once the spare parts come, please stay calm and allow the Tata ASC enough time to do a thorough and quality job. If you keep breathing down their neck, they might do slipshod work just to get rid of you, and the whole drama will repeat itself.
Add to that we have also told TASS Manglore to take their sweet time and do a thorough check up so that the trip back to Mumbai is uneventful.

Last edited by TROOPER : 30th January 2020 at 05:08.
TROOPER is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 07:03   #30
BHPian

Hi, any revert from their Instagram/Twitter handle? I see many people comment their issues and the handle team responds quickly as they know it's a social media platform and news, good or bad gets amplified really quick.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed