Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th February 2020, 09:31   #31
sgm
BHPian

Default Re: Lexus begins assembly in India, ES price lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
For me the quality of this generation of ES is not up to the mark, atleast to the standard what Lexus deems acceptable, let alone the Europeans.
Even if i had bought a brand new ES back then, If given a chance to go all over again, i would not buy the ES.
Hi Dhruv, sorry to hear that your progress is very slow. Yes, hearing creaking sound and squeaks are not a pleasant experience when you have bought a Hybrid for a peaceful cabin experience. Lexus generally score very well in cabin sound testing, so these will be very noticeable and it can irritate you. In EV mode, may be this is only thing you will notice. Waiting to hear that you ownership transfer trouble and niggles are fixed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
40,000+ kms later my unit does not yet have a bolt or noise out of place. I hope you are able to resolve your problems.
Glad to hear that it is in perfect condition after so much of use. It gives confidence to prospective buyers that the manufacturing process is top notch backed by Lexus reliability.
You had mentioned about checking out a Camry once. For the Badge value, better interiors and features , it commands a certain premium over a Camry, and now with this this lowered base price, it is a better value proposition. How do you rate Lexus ES vs Camry from a noise insulation level ?
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 09:45   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
You had mentioned about checking out a Camry once. For the Badge value, better interiors and features , it commands a certain premium over a Camry, and now with this this lowered base price, it is a better value proposition. How do you rate Lexus ES vs Camry from a noise insulation level ?
A lot will depend, as you know on the buyers budget and what he/she is upgrading from. My brother in law bought the new Camry. I have driven it around a bit. The new Camry has bridged the gap between a Lexus and a Camry. For the layman it is now more difficult to gauge the gap. Only places the new Lexus ES is noticeably better than the new Camry is in the interior woodwork and NVH. I am not going into engine bhp etc as I don't have the data on my fingertips. But as I said the gap is very narrow now. The Lexus team still pampers the owners in ASS over and above Toyota's already high standards. Maybe in the next round Lexus will find a way to widen the lead again. Given the snob value I would go with the Lexus. The new ES to be made in India will be cheaper than the Rs 70L I paid almost 3 years ago.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 19:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
For me the quality of this generation of ES is not up to the mark, atleast to the standard what Lexus deems acceptable, let alone the Europeans.
Even if i had bought a brand new ES back then, If given a chance to go all over again, i would not buy the ES.
Sorry to hear your experience. Just goes on to re inforce my assessment gleaned from the numerous international forums which do not regard ES (and the RX) as true-blue Lexus. This one is considered as a badge engineered Toyota Avalon. Nothing wrong with it being a Toyota, but that's quite a dampener for someone paying a good amount of premium, reading stories of Lexus 'Shimamoku' and 'Takumi' . Those concepts probably hold true for the higher pure blooded Lexus (LS) models and I can understand the pride of Lexus ownership for those models.

That is also probably the only reason why Lexus is limiting local assembly to the models sitting lower in their pecking order. They wouldn't do that with something like the LS, as traditional Lexus factories have to meet minimum standards of tolerance levels to qualify for assembly of the bigger Lexus cars (the ones that are haloed for taking the fight to the German Big 3 in terms of refinement and reliability).

Last edited by octane1002 : 1st July 2020 at 19:41.
octane1002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:05   #34
BHPian

Good move by Lexus. They definitely need to launch the ES350 and RX350 in India. The V6 petrol motor in these models were proven mill which will last forever. Considering the US prices, If ES350 starts at same price as ES300h be good for those peoples who hate hybrids and want to drive a V6 Petrol. If I'm right, Currently none of the Sedans are offering 6 cylinder petrol option in India. The new 8 speed automatic comes with ES350 is really good.

But LS and LX models needs a major price correction. Unless they bring it down to less than 1.5Cr, these two models are not going to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The new ES to be made in India will be cheaper than the Rs 70L I paid almost 3 years ago.
Time flies quickly sir. 3 years passed already and 40,000+ kms later, happy to hear that your car is serving you well . I remember your booking experience and your meeting with a higher official Lexus before booking the car.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Good move by Lexus. They definitely need to launch the ES350 and RX350 in India. The V6 petrol motor in these models were proven mill which will last forever.
I drive the RX350 and I dont think it is a good fit for the Indian market. That is not to say the engine is bad, far from it infact. Its punchy, honey dew smooth and is known to last more than 300k miles with just basic maintenance. It is just that under Indian city driving conditions it will hardly return 5-6 kmpl. I get around 10.5 kmpl at best, cruising on the highway at 110 kmph and around 7 kmpl under city conditions on premium 95 octane fuel.

The RX450h hybrid is as fast as the petrol 350, if not faster and gets much better gas mileage especially in city conditions where it is at its best efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
The Canadian plant at Cambridge, Ontario which makes Lexus RX is a full-fledged manufacturing site with its own Press & Weld shops. So it is not just an assembly plant.
Thats correct. North America is the largest market by far for the RX series. If I am not wrong, right hand drive models are made in Japan. My RX was made in Japan.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd July 2020 at 11:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed