Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 09:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Motor's premium sedan for India

MG will also showcase a large sedan at the upcoming Auto Expo. Based on the RC-6 from Shanghai Automotive (SAIC)-owned Baojun, the car is actually a cross between a coupé, off-roader and a sedan.

Aimed at getting feedback at the Auto Expo, an anticipated launch will be 2021.

Quote:
Aims to deliver Honda Civic- or even Accord-like space, size and performance, in a slightly unconventional package!
MG Motor's premium sedan for India-20200131094356_mg_sedan_final.jpg
MG Motor's premium sedan for India-dsc_2493.jpg
MG Motor's premium sedan for India-20200130113224_dsc_2557.jpg
MG Motor's premium sedan for India-dsc_2971.jpg

Quote:
With its massive 2,800mm wheelbase – incidentally, 41mm short of the Skoda Superb – there’s likely to be plenty of space and comfort on the inside, and as on other China-market-specific cars, there will be a strong focus on the rear seat. Technology will be in sharp focus as well. The car is likely to get a Mercedes S-class-like twin- screen display, in place of the instrument panel, with both located in the same plane
Quote:
The engine, according to sources, will be shared with the Hector, especially the petrol 1.5 turbo that puts out 143hp, and there could be a diesel version too, with SAIC’s own 2.0 diesel expected to see the light of day in the next couple of years.
Link

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st January 2020 at 10:26. Reason: Missing quote tag.
volkman10 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 12:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: MG Motor's premium sedan for India

Interesting package - but I doubt if it will make it to production.

The segment is almost non-existent in India, and even existing players are moving on to SUVs and crossovers.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 13:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The segment is almost non-existent in India, and even existing players are moving on to SUVs and crossovers.
Exactly, though VW group cars have been able to hold its fort in the mid-size segment with more or less consistent sales of Vento, Rapid, Octavia and Superb. Big brands like City, Ciaz, Verna have de-grown massively.

Data of full size/premium sedan players like MB, BMW, Audi data is not available in SIAM. Also none of the new entrants are keen to bring big sedans in the Indian market, looking at the trend.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Motor's premium sedan for India-untitled.jpg  

ds.raikkonen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 13:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

After Hector and ZS, they can now focus on Innova and Brezza segment instead of this car. Considering our market favouring the SUVs, monthly sales will not cross 3 digits for sure.
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:28   #5
BHPian

Looks like a 'facelifted' chevy cruze!
Attached Thumbnails
MG Motor's premium sedan for India-chevrolet_cruze_j400_cn_02_china_20150406.jpg  

MG Motor's premium sedan for India-chevrolet_cruze_j400_cn_china_20150406.jpg  

chaotic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:39   #6
BHPian

Looks like a poor man's GT! I for one don't understand why MG would want to bring it in. The mass market sedans aren't doing well and MG can't compete with premium brands.
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, I think this will sell. Limited numbers, but will sell. What makes me say this? I have always wanted to buy the 3 or 5 GT, but cannot buy it as of today. When I am getting a similar looking vehicle, for half the price, why would I not buy it? with MG getting more and more popular, people are associating with the brand as a premium brand. So, this is a stepping stone in the league of GT sedans.

Just name it MG GT
amtak is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 20:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Motor's premium sedan for India

that stupid bent prison bars shaped thing running from one fog lamp to another in the front bumper is hideous. I hate it on the Hector aswell.
Old 31st January 2020, 20:47   #9
BHPian

Whats with MG and such weird backsides? Hector looks bad from the back as well but this is just awful IMO. Sedans usually look amazing from side angles but this is plain hideous.
Old 1st February 2020, 08:12   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The expectations in the premium sedan class are much higher than in SUVs, primarily because all the premium sedans we have are world-class / 1st-world products. As an example, you can get away with sloppy handling & dynamics in an SUV (Hector), but not an expensive sedan.

The sedan market is also weak. MG should instead focus on more crossovers & the MPV.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 09:10   #11
BHPian

They should focus on the MPV segment instead. MPVs are an indians second love after SUVs, in my opinion. Carnival's expected price is 27-34 ex showroom, so definitely 29-37 on road. It might sell but crysta is still not threatened as much, i think. Something between 20-30 filled to the brim with features will be a smash hit and toyota will finally feel the heat.
Old 1st February 2020, 13:12   #12
AYP
Senior - BHPian

As a person who loves sedans, I really hope that MG does bring this to India.

This may provide a great value to the customers by bringing D-2 segment size at the price of a D-1 segment sedan. It may also help drive up the diminishing sales of sedans in general.

Even if it fails to do either of the above, it may still provide an initiative enough to ensure that other manufacturers at least keep on offering us sedans as a choice and not abandon them completely.
Old 1st February 2020, 17:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

It looks really stodgy. Grill is too gapey, the two-box config won't go down that well for Sedan buyers.

Personally, it is far from a traditional MG but that's me, MG old brand values mean nothing to the modern buyer today.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 20:20   #14
BHPian

As someone else mentioned looks like a poor man's GT!!! I doubt this will find any takers. I guess they will use the Expo to gauge the mood.

Can't fault them for trying though
Old 1st February 2020, 23:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

It's an interesting design idea and not to be ruled out. It's like the BMW GT, neither a sedan but lifted for the roads we have.

Now look at it this way. It might just work if slotted in just above the Honda City, Verna, Vento, Rapid and below the Elantra, Civic.

There's no Octavia till end of the year and this won't be close to it dynamically but they could bridge the gap between C2 and D1.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd February 2020 at 00:32. Reason: typo Octavia spelling
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks