Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 16:59   #151
BHPian

Re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

The XUV and Astor offering ADAS which are not present even in the entry level German cars is great IMHO. Outside of Volvo, I am not aware of a single car premium luxury car/ SUV (other than Gloster) that offers these features and hats off to MG and Mahindra to offer them at the price points they operate in when we have CEO of Maruti complaining about basic safety features like airbags adding to cost.

You realize the value of things like Automatic Emergency Braking when an auto cuts into your lane and your car reacts before you do. I have been saved quite a few scrapes thanks to ADAS in my Volvo. Its time all manufacturers realize that they ought to provide the same safety features they offer internationally to their India spec models as well.
dsvikki is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:37   #152
Senior - BHPian

I think consumers must become agnostic about origin of manufacturer, in the interest of a great product. At this time, a barely 3 year old company is churning out its 4th model, and the general reliability and quality of their previous ones is of a decently acceptable, if not very high order.
Just comparing to the really established ones who still have various niggles and quality issues.
Like I have said earlier, may the consumer win in this market. Kudos to MG for making a feature rich car.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:42   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Video teaser of MG's AI assistant -

https://Youtu.be/vMeUK_m2g_A
O wow, I'd seriously consider this car purely on the basis of the AI such a wonderful party piece that is. The car exterior design seems like an improvement from the Hector as well.

Too bad my 7 year old polo is good enough for another 7 year stint
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:45   #154
BHPian

The Pano sunroof ,connected car tech, ADAS, good interiors. All boils down to pricing now.
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:18   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
… it seems Skoda Kushaq and the upcoming Taigun have already faded into the distant memory of prospective car buyers. The MG Astor might just be the last nail in the coffin for Skoda and VW India's plans in the compact/urban SUV segment.

You said it! The EU were targeting the Koreans and now the Indians and Brits have hit them where they didn’t expect!
KapilD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:19   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
The Pano sunroof ,connected car tech, ADAS, good interiors. All boils down to pricing now.
Considering the Hector lineup pricing and the pricing announced by Mahindra for XUV, MG will most likely price it in line with Creta and Kushaq pricing - 9 to 16 lakhs. In order to enter and capture such highly competitive segment any co. (Except VAG) would want to price product right and give more features than competition. Then only MG will be able to push volumes, much higher than Hector.
Old 18th August 2021, 20:04   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post

- Usage of ADAS is purely Gimmicky, though very intriguing on paper it might not practically be used in India. Some features will become annoying to the extent that we might end up disabling them for good. Most dashcams have them these days and they just don't help on Indian Roads.
Let's not be so hasty here. Technology ultimately will be the solution to most of the issues we have. And theres going to be a ramp period there. It will take some time and slowly things will start improving. We should be applauding MnM and MG here for introducing these technologies in this segment. Hopefully it will permeate to even lower segments and one day in not too distant future most cars well have these systems by default.

Mahindra is using a Mobileye ADAS and they have a video of their real time testing of these for countless hours on our roads and honing their algorithms. I have seen some of them more exhaustive ones in different environments (in Israel, NY etc where also traffic is huge and unpredictable) and it's quite impressive. Here's their Indian video (shortened)

joslicx is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:07   #158
BHPian

Like I have said earlier, the duopoly of Creta and Seltos needs to challenged by some mighty product/s (sorry Kushaq and Taigun - had a lot of expectations from you but don't think you guys are worthy of it). Now THIS car looks promising. The only thing MG needs to do is price this one sensibly, like their other products. This car has the potential to give nightmares to everything in the 10-20 lakh segment.

That AI "thing" though, I hope it would be optional or can be removed. Just don't like those spooky eyes!

With products like XUV 7OO and MG Astor, good days ahead for us consumers .
Col Mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:43   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Mahindra is using a Mobileye ADAS
I feel what's really interesting with both these (XUV 7OO and Astor) unveils is how they are showcasing their partnership with other companies. Mahindra made it known to the world that they are working with reputed companies like Sony, Visteon, Mobileye, etc. Same was the case with Astor today.

The presentation from Rajeev Chaba also had a showcase from the respective company representatives for each of these technologies (from what I remember) -
  • Personal AI assistant is by American firm ‘Star Design’
  • ADAS systems are from Bosch
  • Navigation with MapMyIndia,
  • Connectivity solution is from Jio
  • Blockchain-protected vehicle digital passport by KoineArth
  • Parking slot reservation powered by Park+
  • Digital security for data in transit by L&T
  • Cloud data storage by Microsoft Azure cloud

Now that's really nice compared to the earlier silent vendor model. Also I'm guessing that with each main vendors name made public, they will be more inclined to bring their ace game to the table.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th August 2021 at 20:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:48   #160
BHPian

If I don't need 7 seats and have limited parking space, this is a clear winner.
If I need 7 seats and AWD, then XUV700.
If better reliability then Astor and if diesel, then XUV.
Suddenly, the disappointment of Kushaq and Taigun seem to be in history.
Sidban85 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:30   #161
Senior - BHPian

Are we sure of the 1.5 NA engine with hybrid as standard and 140 plus hp. It should make it better or on par with the turbo petrols with relatively better FE as well. Drivability should also be class leading theoritically.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 22:34   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Are we sure of the 1.5 NA engine with hybrid as standard and 140 plus hp.
Huh?!?

Quote:
The new MG Astor SUV will come with a 120hp, 150Nm, 1.5-litre naturally-aspirated petrol mill. Additionally, there will also be a 163hp, 230Nm, 1.3-litre turbo-petrol engine.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-2-adas-421774
SNA411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 23:24   #163
Team-BHP Support

Origins of the name -

As per MG -

Quote:
The name Astor is derived from Raytheon Sentinel, an airborne battlefield and ground surveillance aircraft formerly operated by the Royal Air Force (RAF), UK.
Seems Raytheon Sentinel was originally known as the ASTOR (Airborne STand-Off Radar) programme.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-1280pxsentinel_r.1_zj692_5_sqdn._raf_landing_at_raf_waddington_4454372764.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 00:44   #164
BHPian

Astor appears to be a great package.

I am planning to upgrade from Dzire to a SUV and wasn't keen on the KIA offerings. Creta is not even being considered for its quirky looks! I was interested in Kiger but the lack of features which are available in its twin magnite!

Now the wait begins for the price of Astor and reviews! Will i be able to use all the features it comes packed with? probably no, but some of them like cruise control are always welcome.
Old 19th August 2021, 08:48   #165

The ADAS feature set is really impressive, especially considering the expected price of the car!

However, what I fail to understand is, why no car manufacturer is focusing on what I feel is the most crucial ADAS, blind spot monitoring.
It is definitely superior to the 360° cameras' feed or Honda's lane watch camera, since even Honda is globally replacing the lane watch camera.

Will be very convenient to prevent those situations with 2 wheelers looming around in people's blindspots to overtake cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks