Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 18:26   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

I seriously doubt the claims that this vehicle has level 2 ADAS.

The MG Astor does not have autonomous obstacle avoidance, and autonomous parking, which are needed to claim the ADAS level 2.

From the wiki page of ADAS, we can clearly see that:
Quote:
ADAS that are considered level 2 are: highway assist, autonomous obstacle avoidance, and autonomous parking.
The ADAS features that are being circulated in it's features, are all listed under ADAS level 1 features.

From wiki:
Quote:
ADAS that are considered level 1 are: adaptive cruise control, emergency brake assist, automatic emergency brake assist, lane-keeping, and lane centering.
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...ms#ADAS_levels
abhishek46 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 14:43   #182
BHPian

This may be slightly off-topic.
I know this is akin to Alexa and is bound to happen someday everywhere - but do we not feel that there's too much intrusion/listening/mapping of us by the gadgets.

It would help to clarify on the privacy and security of all that goes into this AI.

- does it listen and record everything even if its not addressed to learn?
- where is it stored?
- can it be disclosed if legal/state wants it
- how controls/features can this AI control or modify

In terms of the vehicle, the car does not look overly designed in exterior with acceptable looks. This if priced well could eat into Korean rivals pie.
vigneshA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 16:46   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I seriously doubt the claims that this vehicle has level 2 ADAS.

The MG Astor does not have autonomous obstacle avoidance, and autonomous parking, which are needed to claim the ADAS level 2.

From the wiki page of ADAS, we can clearly see that: The ADAS features that are being circulated in it's features, are all listed under ADAS level 1 features.
Actually there are 6 levels of Driving Automation starting from Level 0 to Level 5 according to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE):

Level 0: No Automation where the driver does everything.

Level 1: Driver Assistance which is the lowest level of Automation where the vehicle can either steer OR accelerate/brake but not both simultaneously. Ex: Adaptive Cruise Control where the driver monitors steering and braking.

Level 2: Partial Automation or Advanced Driver Assistance where the vehicle can steer AND accelerate/brake under certain circumstances. Here the driver may have to keep a hand on steering and can take control any time. Ex: Lane Centering AND Adaptive Cruise Control at the same time, Tesla Autopilot, Volvo Pilot Assist, etc.

There is a new trend known as Level 2+ systems which exceed the functionality typically found in Level 2. The main difference between the two is a higher degree of automation.

Level 3: Conditional Automation where the vehicle can manage most aspects of driving including monitoring the environment. Here the driver must be available to takeover at any time when prompted by the system. Ex: Audi Traffic Jam Pilot.

Level 4: High Automation where the vehicle can operate without human input or oversight but only under select conditions. Ex: Alphabet's WAYMO vehicles.

Level 5: Full Automation where the vehicle can operate in any road and in any condition that a human can do. This level has not been reached yet.

There are many ADAS applications and Collision Warning/Emergency Braking are few of them. All of the ADAS applications developed till now may not be present in a vehicle. MG has Forward Collision Warning.

As per SAE, a human is always driving for levels 0 to 2. So I think Autonomous Valet Parking is a part of Level 3 Automation. Since the vehicle can use any two of ADAS simultaneously, the vehicle can be called as having Level 2 Driving Automation. As Autonomous Driving is an evolving technology, the classifications may change accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-j3016levelsofdrivingautomation1210.jpg  

CarNerd is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 16:54   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
As Autonomous Driving is an evolving technology, the classifications may change accordingly.
Very interesting graphic. I have always believed that eventually, maybe in 100 years or so when this technology is perfected, they will not allow people to drive as I am sure the data will show machines will cause less accidents than humans. And anyway today's youth like driving a lot less.

Good thing we were born too soon for that I guess
Goldenboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 09:00   #185
BHPian

MG Astor is looking good. Looking at Astor and XUV 700 AX 5 or 7 Diesel.

Anyone aware on the pricing of Diesel Astor and when is the exact launch?

Any reviews of Astor available online?
Old 22nd August 2021, 09:14   #186
BHPian

I have seen a few ZS EVs on the road here in Pune and the thing looks swell. Miles ahead of anything from the Koreans or the Germans. If they can replicate the same with the Astor, MG have a winner on their hands especially with the ADAS.
I am in the market for an SUV ~25L. The release of the 700 and the Astor is super news since everyone from the Cretas, Seltos, Harriers, T-Rocs, Tucsons will feel the heat and I suspect major price revisions/discounts this festival season.
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:56   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojah View Post
MG Astor is looking good. Looking at Astor and XUV 700 AX 5 or 7 Diesel.

Anyone aware on the pricing of Diesel Astor and when is the exact launch?

Any reviews of Astor available online?
There's a diesel Astor in the offing? I have been only reading about the 1.5L NA and 1.3L Turbo engines.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:00   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
There's a diesel Astor in the offing? I have been only reading about the 1.5L NA and 1.3L Turbo engines.
I don't think that there is a Diesel offering yet, but would would love that option.

Are you aware of the Petrol variant pricing? Heard that the launch is sometime in September.
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:20   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojah View Post
I don't think that there is a Diesel offering yet, but would would love that option.

Are you aware of the Petrol variant pricing? Heard that the launch is sometime in September.
No information on pricing. But my guess is it would be very aggressive. One can expect the 1.5 range between 8-12 and 1.3 range between 10-14L ex-showroom. Add 1L more for automatics. But that's the range I believe MG will offer Astor at.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 13:42   #190
BHPian

Why am I feeling sad for VW/ SKODA? I really dont know, but I am!!

Was unhappy they yet using the malfunction prone DSG , VW is yet not making much progress with service support.. May be I am upset because of the efforts of Zac Hollis are going down who genuinely tried to make a difference. Man competition can really be unforgiving. I sincerely doubt VAG can fight much longer in our market due to the onslaught of new products by innovations coming in from MG, Mahindra, TATA, the Korean twins..
SN88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:22   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Why am I feeling sad for VW/ SKODA? I really dont know, but I am!!
Same feeling. I was so looking forward to the Volkswagen twins since over a year. The end result is something that has left us wanting. I so wish they had priced it better or made a more premium car to match the price. I am looking to upgrade from my Baleno to a mid sized SUV. I am almost sold for Astor unless there are some extreme surprises which I doubt. With the safety and ADAS features, it's going to be a good buy. The design is really good, that we know already. Looking forward to the Launch.
Pras92003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:24   #192

I recently test drive both the ZS EV and the hector plus , the top 2 ends of Jeep Compass , Creta and Alcazar in the month of July 2021 . I did not consider Tata or Mahindra as their niggles more or less equate to bringing home a tragedy .

I then promptly went and bought a Ford endeavour hiking my budget by 100 % once I realised that there is no SUV to be had in 20 lakh. It’s like expecting cheese in a dominos pizza . The Ford was home delivered In 7 days flat. I never visited the dealership or test drove it . Basing my experience on a 15 KM drive I did on a friends endeavour in jan 2021

1. In a ZS EV frame there are likely to be compromises made on stability, safety and rear boot space .

2. MG seems to be making big boxy spacious vehicles which indian population likes loads of publicity , with cutbacks on what ensures reliability and safety . They don’t have any NCAP rating on Indian Hector .

3. I was also informed that I can buy insurance only from their “approved” dealer .

4. I was informed of a waitlist of 14 weeks

Despite SUV being popular , I doubt there is a real alternative to Ford / Toyota at a lower price point of 20 lakhs without severe compromise .

End of the day it’s lipstick on a pig
Old 22nd August 2021, 17:27   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeck View Post
In a ZS EV frame there are likely to be compromises made on stability, safety and rear boot space .
And these findings are based on what? I hope there's a logical explanation
Avinash_R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 17:29   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
No information on pricing. But my guess is it would be very aggressive. One can expect the 1.5 range between 8-12 and 1.3 range between 10-14L ex-showroom. Add 1L more for automatics. But that's the range I believe MG will offer Astor at.
Will both 1.5L NA and 1.3L Turbo option be available for all variants? Or wil it be 1.5L in lower variants and 1.3 Turbo in higher?
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:26   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Let’s wait and watch for the full launch here. The Hector seemed to have fantastic specs on paper - 141 HP / 250 NM, but was decidedly underwhelming when I test drove the car. This is a lighter car, and if supplied with the same engine should be better, but will it be anywhere near as nice to drive as the Seltos - that’s a big bridge to cross.

Of course, this could be priced materially below the Seltos and from that perspective could be attractive.

Overall, with the XUV700, Astor, Kushaq, Taigun, Creta, Seltos and Safari fighting it out, it is great for customers in this space.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks