Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:15   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

MG Astor will come equipped with heated ORVMs.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-20210823_101315.jpg

Other features include the in-car AI assistant and Autonomous Level 2 technology.

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:19   #197
BHPian

Hope MG spreads the variants out sensibly and has one mid variant (including an AT) with essential safety kit such as 6 airbags, ESP and TPMS. In my opinion, the advanced tech based safety features can be left to the top variant. Too many manufacturers only offer 6 airbags with the top variant.
Goldenboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:17   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG Astor will come equipped with heated ORVMs.

Attachment 2197012

Other features include the in-car AI assistant and Autonomous Level 2 technology.

Source
The car and bike link says the Astor would come with a 1.5-litre mild-hybrid 141 bhp petrol mill. Transmission options will include a 6-speed manual and an optional CVT.

Definitely there are lots of contradictory reports floating around. Will have to wait and watch which engine and transmission option/s MG is going to offer.
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:20   #199
BHPian

If MG prices the Astor aggressively, we might be looking at a new bestseller in the C-SUV category.
  • Looks fantastic - The design is not polarizing and most of us would like it.
  • Feature loaded - ADAS, virtual cockpit, panoramic sunroof, etc... (enough to give the Koreans a run for their money)
  • Safety conscious - MG has packed the car with safety features and hopes to sway the crowd with it (the car has scored 5 stars in ASEAN NCAP). Hope they haven't cut corners on the safety aspect of the India-specific variant too. (Please MG, crash test the car and provide us Indians with some peace of mind)

My wife and I fell head over heels for the car while checking out this review: .
shibulijack is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:07   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Astor Targets 5 Star Safety – Skylight Roof, Engine Specs Details Leak

MG Astor Sunroof To Be Called Skylight Roof.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-mgastorskylightroofenginespecsfeaturesdetails747x420.jpg

Safety And Engine Specs :

Quote:
MG Astor will be one of the safest car in the segment.

As per source, MG is planning to launch Astor with 5 Star NCAP safety rating. It will get 6 airbags, TPMS, ABS, ESP, EBD, Auto Hold, HSA (hill start assist), HDC (hill descent control), etc. MG Astor will be offered in a choice of two petrol engine options.

There will be no diesel engine on offer with Astor. One is a 1.5 liter four cylinder naturally aspirated motor delivering 110 PS and 144 Nm while the other is a 1.3 liter turbo 3 cylinder motor delivering 140 PS and 220 Nm. Speaking about transmission options, the 1.5 L will be offered either with 5 speed MT or 8 speed CVT while the 1.3 L option will only be offered with 6 speed AT.
Top variants will get drive modes as well. These are Normal, Urban and Dynamic.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th August 2021 at 09:11.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:32   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
Too many manufacturers only offer 6 airbags with the top variant.
MG offers 6 airbags as standard on the ZST in some international markets like Australia. Although very unlikely - I hope they do that here too!

Not only would it be a big differentiator for MG, it will also be their entry into the government's good book - being the first to implement Gadkari's recommendation of six airbags across variants.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 10:35   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
MG Astor Sunroof To Be Called Skylight Roof.
It is called Panoramic Starzager sunroof in Australia. Not sure why rename it for India; are they adding ambient lights to roof?

Refer link for detailed specs - https://resource.digitaldealer.com.a...8292993071.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Safety And Engine Specs :
Is it getting detuned or is there a typo - In Australia it comes with 154hp and 230 Nm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post

My wife and I fell head over heels for the car while checking out this review: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ipkrxIvm9O8.
Love the video which shows it in Black! I have seen this video 2-3 times and same reaction with my wife, she loved it!! With black interiors and all of the safety and creature comfort features, this will surely be best in segment. Good for people like me who want all black, however have been taken aback by all recent launches (read Kushaq, Taigun, XUV700?) have avoiding this colour scheme.

On 3 cylinder vs. 4 - Maybe they want to price it 1-2 lakhs below Creta / Seltos - top end variant at 15 Lakhs ex sh? That will only justify selling 3 cylinder car. Also, this way it will avoid conflict with XUV700, to some extent.

If you have doubts on 3 vs 4 - which is better - refer this article -
https://www.cars24.com/blog/3-cylind...linder-engine/

Last edited by manpreetsj : 24th August 2021 at 10:39. Reason: Corrections
Old 24th August 2021, 10:52   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

2021 MG ZST price as revealed for Australia:

2021 MG ZST Core – $25,490
- Powered by a naturally aspirated 84kW/150Nm 1.5-litre four cylinder engine with CVT transmission.
- Standard features include MG's Pilot drive assist suite, which includes autonomous emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring and lane-change assist. White is the only free colour choice, while Brighton Blue, Diamond Red, and Sloane Silver metallic costing $500 extra.

2021 MG ZST Vibe – $26,990 (+$1500)
- MG ZST Vibe adds $1500 to the cost, becoming $26,990 drive-away. Upgrading yields a fake-leather trim, 17-inch alloy wheels, a six-speaker sound system and rain sensing wipers.

-Across the range is a 10.1-inch infotainment system, with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto. Satellite navigation is in-built on Vibe models and up.

2021 MG ZST Excite – $29,990 (+$3000)

-MG ZST Excite, which is the first of two turbocharged models in the range. Power in this version comes from a 115kW/230Nm 1.3-litre turbocharged four cylinder engine and six-speed dual-clutch automatic. Other additions include gloss-black exterior styling elements, red brake calipers, and a redesigned grille.

2021 MG ZST Essence – $32,990 (+$2000)

- Using the same turbocharged powertrain as the Excite, the Essence offers electrically-adjustable and heated seats, digital instrument cluster, and a full-length panoramic sunroof.

Note: All prices above represent the advertised drive-away figure.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:53   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
MG offers 6 airbags as standard on the ZST in some international markets like Australia. Although very unlikely - I hope they do that here too!

Not only would it be a big differentiator for MG, it will also be their entry into the government's good book - being the first to implement Gadkari's recommendation of six airbags across variants.
Not just 6 airbags, MG pilot which includes 360 camera, ADAS etc is standard on ZST in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-screenshot_20210824114950_drive.jpg  

ranjitht87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:53   #205
BHPian

If the Astor top-end is priced around 15 lakh ex-showroom, then VW twins would have to seriously consider their pricing strategies.

This kind of pricing with all those ADAS features is going to create lot of turbulence in this segment.

With XUV 700 and Astor, Customer is slowly and steadily feeling like a king and not the car(kushaq) or the manufacturer (Hyundai Group)
drivingmelody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 13:48   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staraptor View Post
However, what I fail to understand is, why no car manufacturer is focusing on what I feel is the most crucial ADAS, blind spot monitoring.
The Astor does indeed get a blind spot monitoring/detection system though it does not show a live video feed like we see on Hyundais and now on XUV700.

Adding brochure which contains all tech features below.

MG Astor Tech Brochure.pdf
ADI7YAK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 20:31   #207
BHPian

Is it only me who is worried about the Information Security and Privacy in the emerging era of AI connected cars?
I know, both M&M and MG have disclosed their tech partnerships transparently, but I still have my doubts.

1) The Privacy and Information security laws in India are not yet set/matured like they are in Europe. Is this the reason that Companies are experimenting their AI assistants in India first?
2) Is the big consumer data collection (& economics behind it) the real reason behind the the attractive pricing in Astor/XUV700?
3) Something like Car Passport (KoineArth) - Will it be a Boon or a Bane? Imagine, tomorrow the Car maker rejects your warranty or Insurer rejects your claim, based on the couple of off-limit driving instances in the Car passport (e.g. hard breaking, speeding over 120 for a minute, etc.)
4) What is the perceived value of all this? Would I get 50K more discount, if I do not want the AI assistant or similar over the board features? This would be true Value For Money, Value for which Customer is willing to Pay.
5) Practical, daily use of these features is questionable. Perhaps, getting a quick cricket/football score is the only real practical use I see for me now. May be Alexa in XUV700 can offer more like controlling Smart devices in your home.

Don't get me wrong! I'm super excited about Astor & XUV700 and one of them, most probably will be in my Garage by December/January. However, I want the car to get the BASICS right and offer these features only when they are really mature & useful.
dh.harshal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:05   #208
BHPian

The president of MG Motor India explaining the ADAS features of the Astor.

With regards to the concerns in this thread regarding data collection - The driving data is stored and he says that if you are willing to share, you can share it with insurance companies who will probably incentivize your good driving habits in the premium or you can share the same during resale.
AnnaRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:53   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

The brochure is really too thin on details. It only talks of AI voice assistant and the ADAS features. No news of the engines, transmissions and other specifications. A sign of times to come? Driver-focused cars are becoming increasingly rare. All the hoopla is now about the tech and AI inside the car. I find today's youngsters are more interested in tech gadgets than cars. They know much more about the latest smartphones and can rattle off specifications about the processor, screen size, refresh frequency, 5G bands available etc. - like we Gen-X-ers used to be able to rattle off engine volumes and horsepower ratings of cars when we were younger! I guess MG and the industry is just playing to the gallery in talking more about these aspects than the meat of the automobile - what drives its mobility.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 25th August 2021 at 11:55.
Old 25th August 2021, 12:18   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The brochure is really too thin on details. It only talks of AI voice assistant and the ADAS features. No news of the engines, transmissions and other specifications. A sign of times to come? Driver-focused cars are becoming increasingly rare.
I read somewhere that the launch is scheduled for September 2nd week. Autocar too had mentioned September as launch month for Astor.

Regarding Engines, I am expecting a 1.5 NA Petrol and 1.3 Turbo Petrol with choice of Manual and Automatic Gearbox. There are reports that the 1.5 Will come with CVT option while the Turbo will get a Aisin Sourced Torque Converter. They better avoid that DCT as it's not efficient and neither responsive.

A media drive is shortly expected I guess.
Mods !! Any info on this aspect ?
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks