Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 11:09   #406
BHPian

Re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

Any reasons on why they aren't launching with a Diesel?
Old 16th September 2021, 11:40   #407
BHPian

I am looking for a new vehicle (specifically looking for a higher ground clearance vehicle) for my dad and we have almost finalised the Venue and at the last moment, the news for Taigun and Astor comes in. After yesterdays unveil we decided to wait for the prices and then take the call. In my opinion Astor meets all of our needs and so it would be exciting to see how they price it. Luck has it that we sold our good old Honda City at the right time. The things missing in Astor as mentioned by the gentleman above are not dealbreakers for us. We called in MG showroom and the vehicles should be there by the 21st.
Although I Own a Creta I think its high time that some competition should be there to balance out the market which results in faster deliveries and ensures manufacturers realise just because their vehicles are selling in big numbers they can't take customers for a ride w.r.t service or hiking prices and other gimmicks they resort to.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:54   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Very interesting to see how much attention the MG Astor is getting on Youtube:

Within 24 hours of launch, the Youtube launch has gathered 1.3M views!
As a comparison, the Skoda Kushaq launch around 2 months ago has till now gathered 1M views.
During such unveils, it is the features that gather attention - and the Skoda is just bare bones in comparison. Looking at the Astor featurelist, I doubt the Kushaq will be able to compete with a mid-spec Astor in terms of features!

Comparing the top end turbo petrol automatics, the Astor seems to have (and this is a quick, not a definitive list) -
  • Panoramic sunroof
  • Digital instrument console
  • ADAS
  • 6 airbags (May come soon in Kushaq)
  • TPMS (May come soon in Kushaq)
  • Powered driver seat
  • AI assistant
  • All wheel disc brakes
  • Steering Modes
  • Heated ORVMs
  • 360 Camera
  • Electric Parking Brake

The Skoda might be the better one to drive, but they really have lost out on the features game against the Koreans, and now especially against the MG.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:38   #409
BHPian

Just got the confirmation from a MG Sales Manager that both ventilated seats and paddle shifters are missing from the car he saw during his product training.

The boot capacity is 470l, as with the ZS EV. The car will be available for display in a few days time.
Col Mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:57   #410
BHPian

This business of launching in instalments is an excellent strategy by brands because it gives them multiple waves of explosive coverage from the media as well as the general public. Just like this thread has blown up since yesterday and will die down in the next few days, only to blow up again when the launch happens.

On another note, Being a sedate driver, I’m more interested to see how they price the naturally aspirated engine with the automatic transmission. It has about the same power and torque figures as the Brezza , S cross and if it can get S cross pricing too then it will be a sweet deal.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:06   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
This business of launching in instalments is an excellent strategy by brands because it gives them multiple waves of explosive coverage from the media as well as the general public. Just like this thread has blown up since yesterday and will die down in the next few days, only to blow up again when the launch happens.

On another note, Being a sedate driver, I’m more interested to see how they price the naturally aspirated engine with the automatic transmission. It has about the same power and torque figures as the Brezza , S cross and if it can get S cross pricing too then it will be a sweet deal.
Even I am interested in the same but the only thing that bothers me is the power output which is relatively less. I think it's 108.5 Bhp for the NA engine. For the size of this car, it might be less. Plus the auto transmission is CVT which again is purely for sedated drivers. Again if it's priced reasonably it will sell for sure.
Old 16th September 2021, 13:13   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
In none of the international markets MG is providing paddle shifters in ZST with any of the engine options (including 1.3L).

On pricing of top end variant:
I feel it will be priced around 15 Lakhs ex-sh. I know ADAS should increase cost, but just imagine a Kicks with 1.3L engine is priced at 14.6L Ex-sh, if you add ADAS to it, how much more cost it should add? Also, if Nissan can price a car at this price and be profitable, MG being best VFM provider (basis Hector and ZS) will for sure price Astor very competitively.

ADAS is expected to go mainstream next year, with Hector expected to get it. I remember reports of Taigun platform is built with an option to add ADAS in near future. Hopefully, mass adoption of such feature shall bring its cost down.

Most important point in favour of competitive pricing is smaller 1.3L engine. In size and power delivery, it sits between VAGs 1L Turbo and 1.5L Turbo and between 1.5 NA and 1.4 Turbo of Korean siblings. Hence, making it a case of creating 3rd segment in between these two categories - which makes Astor an ideal car with right mix of everything.
I think from Features and Dimensions (Length, breadth etc) it looks sorted... Pricing will most probably be competitive as well...
I guess it will all boil down to driving dynamics ...
I don't expect it to exceed Kushaq / Taigun but even if it comes close to this two then I guess MG will have a winner ....

To be honest the design / shape of the car is kind of OK does not have a SUVish feel to it but I guess that can be ignored if MG gets rest of the things right.
colin84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:14   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
MG Astor engine options revealed,
The 1.5L, on the other hand, will come with the option of manual and CVT gearbox choices and will generate 120 hp and 150 Nm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Turbo petrol will be offered with AT transmission. Will be available in 2 variants sharp and savy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Here are the engine and transmission options on the Astor

- 1,349cc turbo petrol, 140hp, 220Nm, with 6-speed automatic.

- 1,498cc petrol, 110hp, 144Nm, with manual or 8-speed CVT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post

Frankly speaking as an average joe I don't find anything missing in MG Astor w.r.t to engine or transmission or interiors/exterior. This made me curious to know the above
I was reading the transmission specs for the 1.5L NA Petrol engine and was finding only 'Manual' mentioned, not '6MT' as I was expecting.

Going through the brochure I found a shocking answer - it's 5MT

IIRC, no one is offering 5MT in this segment, if we ignore the vintage S-Cross from Maruti.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-capture.jpg
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:28   #414
BHPian

Is a media drive happening today?
Saw this in twitter

Source
https://https://mobile.twitter.com/samonwheel/status/1438362506905358337
Attached Thumbnails
MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-e_yxdurxsaebmqr.jpeg  

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-e_yxcpfxmaqmbrh.jpeg  

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-e_yxd9cwyamdhwo.jpeg  

ranjitht87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:37   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Going through the brochure I found a shocking answer - it's 5MT

IIRC, no one is offering 5MT in this segment, if we ignore the vintage S-Cross from Maruti.

Attachment 2207840
I think the 5MT is there just to justify the lower costs(If Any).
On the positive side, they have offered CVT. Both the 5MT & CVT are projected at folks who want a commuter with all the bells and whistles.
Old 16th September 2021, 13:53   #416
BHPian

The Astor is a well rounded package from every aspect. It will be a moderate success in the least for MG.

Almost every Chinese company undercuts the competition no matter what the industry is. I experience the same in my profession, the steel industry,. However I do not find much of a loyalty or emotion to Chinese suppliers in my industry, they only buy cos it is a cost compulsion. Whereas suppliers from countries like Korea, Japan, that sentiment is not there.

Sure, not everyone is driven by this sentiment and VFM trumps end of the day. But I sincerely hope, what has happened to the mobile industry, where China has carpet bombed it, does not happen in the automobile industry. But sure, MG is doing things right, they have done their homework and credit where it is due.

Creta will survive the Astor, I see Seltos taking a hit, but it looks ominous for VAG twins. The Astor has left no reason for the consumer to not consider it over other cars in the segment. In a way it is good for the consumer, and for all carmakers to make well rounded products. As much as we love the driving dynamics of a car, today's market wants all the features, tech and feel good factor in their cars.

Suzuki though being from Japan, has a deep bond with Indian consumers, and along with Tata and Mahindra will command a soft spot, Hyundai has done enough to survive in Indian market. But MG can and will be a threat to all others.
ZB86 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:03   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitht87 View Post
Is a media drive happening today?
Looks like just a static preview. A couple of images from Powerdrift -

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-powerdriftpost2021_09_16_11_004.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-powerdriftpost2021_09_16_11_005.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:07   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Media unveiling:

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-cb794e4c09734bb6bb5e7f10c0a3496d.jpeg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-a4202084cfc64d08b769c4a2c4cb08db.jpeg

In typical MG fashion the car is loaded with badges!

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-74c466887ec2451291e7ad50a44b05b9.jpeg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-4189452cb66446b0a16c4a932c250947.jpeg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-d5979e9a49ca411e9f74bfdf42c80738.jpeg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-05a8ed9b2fe04544a09c3ab615b3cf5d.jpeg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-54d2c08437e04c758139c500727d2e0e.jpeg

Rear legroom looks good, the central hump may hamper legroom for the middle passenger:

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-9fe29478b5544167b1f2033eebb1c479.jpeg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-5d786579b01d4d3db1d5c17a9396ccd2.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CT39d...dium=copy_link

In Australia the MG ZST’s (Astor) 1.3L turbo Petrol mated with the 6 spd AT TC has been praised for being tuned well (keep in mind India gets 20bhp and 10Nm less than international markets), although it is mentioned in all modes the steering is vague.

The 1.5L NA petrol’s 5 spd manual transmission available in the UK (same will be available in India as well) is just about average.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 16th September 2021 at 14:20.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:40   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
In typical MG fashion the car is loaded with badges!
Even gets a ZS badge!

Why go through the whole process of naming the ZS facelift as Astor for India - only to have the ZS badge pasted on the car?

Source - Powerdrift.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-powerdriftpost2021_09_16_11_001.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-powerdriftpost2021_09_16_11_003.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:40   #420
Senior - BHPian

Glimpse of MG Astor

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783225958.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783228093.jpg

LED DRLs and LED headlamps

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783230374.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783232497.jpg

Dual-tone black and red interior

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783234774.jpg

7-inch digital instrument cluster

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783237514.jpg

The personal AI assistant

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783239711.jpg

The Astor comes with 17 inch wheels.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783241982.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783244235.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-fb_img_1631783246646.jpg

The celestial grille on the Astor

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-20210916_143831.jpg

Total of 5 usb ports in the Astor and 1 power outlet.

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-20210916_143854.jpg

Astor in orange colour

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20210916145437_twitter.jpg

MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-smartselect_20210916145449_twitter.jpg

Source : PowerDrift, CarandBike

Last edited by Venkatesh : 16th September 2021 at 14:58.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks