Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:44   #556
BHPian

Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Live from the expressway. If you bought the 2019 Harrier, I feel bad for you because the 2020 car is so much more sorted.

And the AT is the definite pick over the MT.

Attachment 2037296
I am one of those unfortunate ones to get the BS4 Harrier
Although I got it in February 2020 so all the niggles and complaints were sorted out but I miss the 170bhp engine and the panoramic sunroof the most. I wish to know how much of potential performance I have missed out on with the 140 bhp engine.
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:10   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
I wish to know how much of potential performance I have missed out on with the 140 bhp engine.
Let me add my two cents. I normally drive my harrier in "normal" mode which is 140 bhp. It is pretty quick with decent mid range grunt. But everytime i go onto the expressway, i switch over to Sport mode that unleashes all the 170 horses. The engine feel more tractable, more rev happy and the mid rage is nothing short of explosive. Overtaking becomes a breeze and I have easily shown a clean pair of heels on more than one occasion to seltos and crystas that were on the expressway and being driven quite vigorously.

So yes, the 170 bhp engine really does make a significant difference. IMHO, if it's technically feasible, TML should offer an official remap for the BS4 owners
himanshugoswami is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:05   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

So yes, the 170 bhp engine really does make a significant difference. IMHO, if it's technically feasible, TML should offer an official remap for the BS4 owners
I really wish they do something like that. An official remap even at a small cost would send out a clear message to everyone that the initial owners are special to TML. That caution statement to wait for 2020 Harrier by GTO in the first page of the TeamBHP review must have caused TML a significant amount of sales. A gesture like this will invalidate such warnings for all the future launches.
padmrajravi is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:05   #559
Senior - BHPian

While overall I would gravitate to the Seltos GTX, given a petrol engine, great performance and a manual to boot, it's alway the Harrier that tugs at my heart. I just love the fact that it is the one that is the most SUV looking having the big, butch presence inspite of a very contemporary design. It is just the derriere that spoils it a bit for me, with that teeny rear window and the metal of the hatch spoiling it a bit. Perhaps Tata should look at a black treatment for a part of the hatch that borders the windshield like the Altroz.

I did drive the 140bhp version and that itself was plenty powerful in sport mode to the extent that it was a bit to jerky in the city. So I am sure the BS6 170 bhp version will be a blast.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:08   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Live from the expressway. If you bought the 2019 Harrier, I feel bad for you because the 2020 car is so much more sorted.

And the AT is the definite pick over the MT.

Attachment 2037296

Clap ! Eagerly waiting for the drive impressions .
By the way the registration plates are in line with the new regulations ?
Old 2nd August 2020, 17:38   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
By the way the registration plates are in line with the new regulations ?
That's a temporary registration number.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 17:51   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
That's a temporary registration number.
Ya, in line with recent regulation by MoRTH, no more paper plates !

Quote:
Driving a car with a paper-printed temporary registration number has been made an offence by the Union Ministry of Road Transport Highways (MoRTH). The new rule is consequent on the revision of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules to curb fraudulent activities.
The Hindu

Meanwhile Tatamotors sold 985 Harriers in July 2020, with 33% YOY and 51% MOM growth.
Old 3rd August 2020, 00:53   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
It proves that the assumptions and predictions of GTO came true that one should wait for year to buy Harrier for the company to sort out various niggles. I for one think that basically it is a much better product than Hector . Let's wait for team bhp review of improved version to confirm.
I guess that applies to almost all the new car launches for that matter. Any manufactured product (not only automobiles) do go through the R&D / NPI stage and majority of the times, the final NPI run is the one that is supposedly sold as the first production model(s). This happens in a majority of the manufacturing units & I’m sure auto sector is no different. Even though it’s the final NPI run, every product does have some or the other niggles / minor bits here & there which are eventually ironed out based on on-going reliability trials or from the market feedback and are improved in the batches to follow in regular production.
Hence, having an experience of owning a freshly baked product from a reputed brand and having gone through it’s fair share of niggles of a freshly baked product; I personally am of the opinion that it is always good to wait for atleast 6-8 months for you new car purchase if it’s a new market launch. There is no better example than the Harrier itself. And this is not something TATA specific; I did experience enough of niggles in my Sept 2015 Hyundai Creta which was the one from the initial batches of the production. Even we have seen reported of niggles in the earlier batches of the Kia Seltos. I know it isn’t possible for everyone to hold on to their purchase for 6-8 months and practically 80% people wouldn’t even care; but it is good to have kinda thing incase one values the peace of mind.
ashvek3141 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:19   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Live from the expressway. If you bought the 2019 Harrier, I feel bad for you because the 2020 car is so much more sorted
Attachment 2037296
I find myself fan-boying over the harrier so much lately. Some of it is the Indian pride, but mostly its looks of the beautifully sculpted beast. Tata has really come a long way. I wish it was a little cheaper to fit my budget and the Infotainment system design was a little nicer.

Hopefully I can get a pre-worshiped AT in a couple of years.
heatednemz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:54   #565
BHPian

Tata Harrier has 1 Lakh Cash Discount Offer in August as per below link.

https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....=list&Itemid=9

Quote:

» Flat Rs 1 Lakh Cash Discount on Harrier BS6

» Offer Scheme Applicable on Select Automatic Model Variants of Harrier as Harrier XMA, XZA Model
srikanthmadhava is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 19:05   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
Tata Harrier has 1 Lakh Cash Discount Offer in August as per below link.

https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....=list&Itemid=9
Yes, even when I went to collect my cancellation cheque, the dealer mentioned about 1 lac discount on XMA and XZA Harriers available which were manufactured in Feb, March. Same discount is not available on the XZA+ though.
rkv_hunter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:11   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Yes, even when I went to collect my cancellation cheque, the dealer mentioned about 1 lac discount on XMA and XZA Harriers available which were manufactured in Feb, March. Same discount is not available on the XZA+ though.

This will probably be a bundle of cash, corporate and exchange bonus, with an atrociously priced insurance quote.

When I got my Harrier in July 2020, there was only an official discount of 10K. Despite that, I got almost 75K off from the first quoted price, without any exchange. If I had gone for exchange bonus, this would have crossed 1 lakh
Old 5th August 2020, 13:22   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
This will probably be a bundle of cash, corporate and exchange bonus, with an atrociously priced insurance quote.

When I got my Harrier in July 2020, there was only an official discount of 10K. Despite that, I got almost 75K off from the first quoted price, without any exchange. If I had gone for exchange bonus, this would have crossed 1 lakh
No, it is a flat cash discount of 1 lakh as I said on XMA and XZA models manufactured in Feb/March. It may not be available on all locations and may depend on old inventory availability. But this is what the dealer offered me.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 15:24   #569
BHPian

A few more pics from a drive to Bhigwan last week. This vehicle is an absolute treat to drive and to travel in. Family is happy with the comfort, ride quality and space (as compared to the Linea)
It is difficult to get the perception of speed. You really need to keep an eye on the speedo to realise how fast you are going.

Taken just on the outskirts of Pune a couple of weeks ago:
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200726_190116.jpg

Pics at Bhigwan Flamingo Point:
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200802_17195101.jpeg
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200802_172044.jpg
ihrishi is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 20:31   #570
Team-BHP Support

Despite purchase plans being on the back burner I have never been looking forward to driving a newly launched car as much as the Harrier and was happy to get my hands on the media car the team had for the official review over the weekend. Quickly putting down my initial impressions in no particular order of priority or importance for folks sitting on the fence.

Exteriors
  • The design of the car has been discussed several times on this thread and like most folks I feel the Harrier looks simply awesome and imposing in person. If extra attention is not a problem the Calypso Red Dual Tone color scheme is a no brainer, looks striking yet keeping it very classy.

Interior
  • I did not find the center panel interfering with the knee to be a real hindrance, and infact served as a jugaad knee rest for me.
  • The full view of the long bonnet adds to the Truck feel of the Harrier in a good way. Reminds me of our 98' Tata Sierra
  • Whilst finding a comfortable seat position wasn't really difficult a non sliding center arm rest is just a glaring omission.
  • The aircraft inspired hand brake did not feel really out of place and as long as the design does not affect the utility I personally did not have a problem with the feel apart from having to getting used to it.
  • The steering feels nice and chunk to hold and I love it that the ignition on / off button is at the conventional spot where the key should be. Call me old fashioned but the center mounted on / off switches feel extremely clinical.
  • The Head unit software update that someone recently reported seems to have solved any of the bugs other owners had been facing. I did not have the HU freeze or hang on me at any point through both the drives. Must mention at this point that the sound system is terrific and most buyers (atleast the self driven ones) may not need to opt for an upgrade anytime soon. The infotainment system with the speedo console isn’t an overkill and covers most if not all the utility information one would need out it.
  • Switch gear around the steering isn't exactly the best but the kit was above average for the most part. Would have preferred a more subtle lustrous mat black over the gloss black for the switches. The cabin light assembly did not feel quite well finished and the were quite rudimentary in operation as well.
  • A 360 degree camera unit and an upgraded rear parking camera are seriously huge misses for the 2020 Harrier. The steering though heavy did not feel cumbersome at low parking speeds.
  • The AC is a chiller. Vents despite being functional should have been of a full grade if not two higher for such as expensive vehicle.

Drive, Engine & Gearbox
  • The gearbox is just terrific. The car starts crawling without any extra throttle input at zero speed ala DSG and keeps the car almost always in the power band. I could not manage to catch it out even once in the 3 odd hours I drove between the two drives. Tata's technical team has done really well in selecting the Hyundai sourced 6 speed gearbox and tuned it to perfection. It always kicks down perfectly for the swift overtake whenever required. Do not mistake this to be quick shifting DSG but this engine gearbox combination if way better than the old school 2.8 Innova Crysta which I had driven about 6 months ago.
  • Through my first short drive in the Harrier I could hear a lot of engine noise inside the cabin and was a bit annoyed with it. Coming from the slick shifting manual gearbox on the Verna and the lightning fast DSG on the Laura I may have been passively expecting sharper gearbox control. Through my second drive in the evening I had familiarized better with the throttle control and upto 2000 Rpm I did not find the engine noise annoying as such. I’m not sure if I am covering up for what otherwise feels like a really good package.
  • There was distinct wind noise above 70-80 Kmph from the driver side, could be bad door beading, not sure. Would wait to hear on this from owners / future test drivers from Bhpians.
  • The brakes had a clinky metallic sound to it at low speeds, doubt it was due to any moisture / humidity as GTO had taken the car for his Sunday Expressway ritual only a few hours ago. Meanwhile I did find the brakes to be really strong at high speeds either, hopefully the rear disc brakes trickle down on the Harrier from the Gravitas in near future.
  • The steering as I mentioned earlier is on the heavier side but it surprisingly feels lost, almost like its going to start to decouple whilst taking smooth turns at 80 kmph or above. Maybe its been a while that I drove an SUV fast, can’t really put a firm reason to this apart from inconstant steering calibration. Anyone else feel the same way?
  • Whilst pseudo SUVS like the Creta drive like larger hatches on the stilts the Harrier feels and drives like a proper SUV and yet manages to keep in inherent advantages of a monocoque construction to its forte. The body roll is extremely well controlled for a car of its size and even the tight 90 degree turns at erstwhile Kala Ghoda can be taken smoothly without any real nervousness.

What the Harrier loses in cabin finesse and features to the pseudo SUVs it makes up in size which makes me feel in some odd way that the Harrier should not be that much more priced over the Creta or Seltos.

Leaving you guys with some pictures of what I feel has been the nicest looking car this side of 30 big ones in the recent past:
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200802_143527_.jpg

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200802_143505_.jpg

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200802_143334_.jpg

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200802_205936_.jpg

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200802_205632_.jpg

Last edited by manson : 7th August 2020 at 20:32.
manson is offline   (77) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks