Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2020, 14:33   #151
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 891
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
For Harrier Auto that is assembling key parts from a mixed bag of various manufacturers, it will be all about cohesiveness, the art of integration and tuning.

So the handiwork and designs of 4 different companies are coming together in one car.
Don't see a real challenge here as every car is assembled from parts manufactured by multiple vendors.

Every car upon assembly has its own traits. Until driven for sometime, it is really difficult to comment on its behavior.

Harrier looks desirable with the panoramic Sunroof
indian21r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 16:18   #152
BHPian
 
carenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 61
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Any idea when the test drives start and first deliveries?
I had contacted a showroom near me for a test drive of the automatic BS6 version and they confirmed its availability within 2 weeks. I have also attached the brochure provided by them.

As per the brochure, below are the panoramic sunroof features for the Harrier BS6:
1. Global Close (Sunroof closes with ignition off)
2. Anti-Pinch
3. Rain Sensing closure
4. Rollover screen with black coating at glass side helps to dissipate heat
5. 3 Separate User- Friendly switches for each function – easy to use while driving
6. Dimensions- Length 1240mm X Width 870mm (widest in segment)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Harrier 2020_Bookings_Open.pdf (1.64 MB, 546 views)

Last edited by carenthusiast : 9th February 2020 at 16:22.
carenthusiast is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 18:04   #153
BHPian
 
DieselAddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 534
Thanked: 755 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The distinctive characteristics of each are different:
  • Hyundai stands for comfort, low maintenance and lightweight parts.
  • Land Rover stands for toughness, off-road credentials, built-to-last
  • Fiat stands for style and engineering finesse
  • TATA India stands for robustness, ease and low cost of maintenance (although maintenance will be high)

Now, these are like horses pulling the cart in slightly different angles. Will TATA have done a good job of integrating and synergizing these traits into a strong overall package that retains the individual strengths, or do these distinguishing factors neutralise each other and result in a watered down, “jack of various trades”? Only time will tell.
Well... All cars are an amalgamation of different parts produced by different vendors right ? Why is it just a concern about Harrier?

E.g. Some of the BMW engines are made by Force and the transmissions are made by ZF. And I know some electronics are from Siemens VDO. Now Force Motors in India is not exactly known for their brilliant product range, are they ? Nor are they known for great handling cars. But isn't the BMW different from all that?

For the C300 (cars assembled in Alabama), the engine is made by Nissan and used in both Infinity and Mercedes cars (from CLA to E Class in different tunes). But do they feel the same? No, they have their own characteristics. So isn't it OK to use transmission from Hyundai ? I think it shouldn't be a big deal. For the BS6 version, the only thing new is the Hyundai transmission (and the sunroof). The other parts were already in the car since launch and are performing satisfactorily ! Or do they have more mechanical changes that I am not aware of ?
DieselAddikt is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 20:33   #154
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 39
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

With the DEF freezing at temperatures below "-11" - does it mean that one cannot take the Harrier to Ladakh and other places which see temperatures fall below Zero?

Another query - with the particulate in BS4 diesels at 50 how does the engine get affected?

Regards.
macbeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 21:09   #155
BHPian
 
uday.ere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 665
Thanked: 2,634 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Harrier BS6 intro by Vivek Srivatsa, Marketing Head at Tata Motors


Last edited by uday.ere : 10th February 2020 at 21:10.
uday.ere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 21:51   #156
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 12,901
Thanked: 8,432 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

For folks who will be picking up the BS6 diesels - DEF is available at Reliance bunks @1000 for 20L.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 08:15   #157
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 125
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

I have two queries which have remain unanswered for me even after visiting the Auto Expo 2020 at Greater Noida regarding the BS6 AT Harrier variant ,
1. Where are the rear disc brakes ?
2. Is Harrier still relying on a hydraulically assisted power steering setup or Tata has upgraded it to an EPS ?
drift2race is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:17   #158
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,748
Thanked: 33,678 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
I have two queries which have remain unanswered for me even after visiting the Auto Expo 2020 at Greater Noida regarding the BS6 AT Harrier variant ,
1. Where are the rear disc brakes ?
2. Is Harrier still relying on a hydraulically assisted power steering setup or Tata has upgraded it to an EPS ?
It was still drum brakes. The Gravitas had rear discs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4746163 (Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2020)

Going by the pictures above it was hydraulic power steering.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:24   #159
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 125
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It was still drum brakes. The Gravitas had rear discs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4746163 (Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2020)

Going by the pictures above it was hydraulic power steering.
It still baffles my mind as to why Tata motors didn't address these key issues . Harrier has had breaking issues with a 140 bhp engine just think what the breaking performance would be with a 30 bhp increase and rear drum brakes .
drift2race is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:37   #160
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,748
Thanked: 33,678 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
It still baffles my mind as to why Tata motors didn't address these key issues . Harrier has had breaking issues with a 140 bhp engine just think what the breaking performance would be with a 30 bhp increase and rear drum brakes .
What are these braking issues? We didn't find anything wrong with the braking and even the 3 cars we got for review, did not have any braking issues.

Drums or discs at the rear don't have a huge impact on braking cause it's the front that does all the work. If the braking is calibrated well, even drums will be fine.

Discs are better for long term wear as well as run cooler than drums. This is fine for high end cars and performance oriented but hardly any difference in road cars.

The Innova has rear drums as well. Rear drums are more for cost than braking ability. If you find the braking weak, it's the front as that usually does 80-90% of the braking.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2020 at 09:38.
Vid6639 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 10:07   #161
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 125
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What are these braking issues? We didn't find anything wrong with the braking and even the 3 cars we got for review, did not have any braking issues.

Drums or discs at the rear don't have a huge impact on braking cause it's the front that does all the work. If the braking is calibrated well, even drums will be fine.

Discs are better for long term wear as well as run cooler than drums. This is fine for high end cars and performance oriented but hardly any difference in road cars.

The Innova has rear drums as well. Rear drums are more for cost than braking ability. If you find the braking weak, it's the front as that usually does 80-90% of the braking.
This issue exists in my friends car which is mar 19 manufactured however if you say that discs are ok in Harrier which now is a much powerful car than before . While discs all around would have been much better just like Electronic power steering but it seems the usual consensus isn't what i like for a 20 lakh car .
drift2race is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 10:33   #162
BHPian
 
carenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 61
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
While discs all around would have been much better just like Electronic power steering but it seems the usual consensus isn't what i like for a 20 lakh car .
I have exactly the same view point as I felt the steering heavy at parking speeds compared to the ones with EPS. At 25.5 Lakhs on the road Bengaluru, I do expect the car to have super light controls. Anyway, these are just minor niggles for otherwise a tough SUV.
carenthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 11:14   #163
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,748
Thanked: 33,678 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
This issue exists in my friends car which is mar 19 manufactured however if you say that discs are ok in Harrier which now is a much powerful car than before . While discs all around would have been much better just like Electronic power steering but it seems the usual consensus isn't what i like for a 20 lakh car .
Better get this checked. The discs vs drums should not impact braking so much. Try another Harrier and see if that is different.

I remember the i20 had disc brakes at the back one variant and the braking of the discs wasn't as good as the one with drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthusiast View Post
I have exactly the same view point as I felt the steering heavy at parking speeds compared to the ones with EPS. At 25.5 Lakhs on the road Bengaluru, I do expect the car to have super light controls. Anyway, these are just minor niggles for otherwise a tough SUV.
Surprised to read this. Almost all the purists want hydraulic power steering with some weight to it.

The superlight steering steering with no feedback and feel is usually the trait for Hyundai EPS units which many hate for that reason.

EPS systems are intentionally made heavy to provide more feel and feedback especially in larger and heavier cars. Moreover manufacturers try to tune EPS to match hydraulic systems because they are so superior in driving feel.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2020 at 12:00. Reason: typo
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 11:46   #164
BHPian
 
carenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 61
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Surprised to read this. Almost all the purists want hydraulic power steering with some weight to it.

The superlight steering steering with no feedback and feel is usually the trait for Hyundai EPS units which many hate for that reason.

EPS systems are intentionally made heavy to provide more feel and feedback especially in larger and heavier cars. Moreover manufacturers try to tune EPS to match hydraulic systems because they are so superior in driving feel.
Yes you are right that it gives you more feedback and is lot of fun on the open roads , but most of my runs are in notorious Bengaluru traffic and manoeuvring through them puts in some stress after a hectic day.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th February 2020 at 12:01. Reason: Typos even in my quoted post :)
carenthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 12:17   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 125
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Better get this checked. The discs vs drums should not impact braking so much. Try another Harrier and see if that is different.

I remember the i20 had disc brakes at the back one variant and the braking of the discs wasn't as good as the one with drums.



Surprised to read this. Almost all the purists want hydraulic power steering with some weight to it.

The superlight steering steering with no feedback and feel is usually the trait for Hyundai EPS units which many hate for that reason.

EPS systems are intentionally made heavy to provide more feel and feedback especially in larger and heavier cars. Moreover manufacturers try to tune EPS to match hydraulic systems because they are so superior in driving feel.
I agree with you regarding Hyundai EPS as the steering feel is almost non existent & that results in less confidence on road (This issue exists in my Venue DCT) however a big car like Harrier needs EPS to improve in city handling and ease parking woes . Just a food for thought can we fit the disc brakes on Harrier from Gravitas when launched ?

Last edited by drift2race : 11th February 2020 at 12:25. Reason: Disc brakes retrofit from Gravitas
drift2race is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks