Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th February 2020, 09:55   #196
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Oh, so the much vaunted panoramic sunroof opens the front half only? It's great when the whole portions opens, in my opinion.
Were you thinking of cabriolets/convertibles? I didn't think sunroofs open completely in any car.
JithinR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 10:30   #197
Senior - BHPian

My bad Vid. I got it confused with the moonroof which opens fully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Panoramic sunroof opens only front half in all cars. Doesn't open whole in any car. Cause there's no place for the rear half to go into. The front portion slides over the rear.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:42   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My bad Vid. I got it confused with the moonroof which opens fully.
It can open fully only if it is a small sunroof/moonroof. If it is a panoramic one (which is what Harrier is going to have), it can only open partially.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:50   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing ram87pune!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
1. As all of you are aware that the much hated/least selling Calisto Copper colour has made way for the new red shade which is also available in the Altroz. In one word this colour looks smashing and enhances the beauty of the Harrier multifold. I can see this colour becoming the crowd favourite.
I think Kerala would have topped the national sales of the Calisto Copper option of the Harrier, at least half the Harriers I see are in that shade. White seems to be a close second for the Harrier.

Quote:
2. The dead pedal provided with the automatic variant was woefully inadequate for my friend who is 6 ft 3 and he preferred to keep his foot on the floor instead. The Hexa automatic's dead pedal is way better. Also my friend just could not find a comfortable driving position and the dashbaord was fouling with his left knee.
Sigh! Below is what I had written after test driving the Harrier in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
We took a short test drive of the Harrier to get a feel of it since our first impressions in the showroom were very positive. To be honest, I am waiting for the automatic Harrier / Gravitas and explained the same to the sales person as well. After driving an automatic for over 4 years, Im no longer a fan of manuals for our city conditions. Initially I found it difficult to get the seating position right for my height (5'11") and reach. I found my knee being too close to the dashboard and touching it whenever I pressed the clutch. But when I adjusted it in such a way that my knee was no longer touching the dashboard while clutching, the seat was too far away and the long clutch action made it even worse. This is just the sort of problem that an automatic can fix!
Im disappointed to note that this is still an issue, Im 5'11" for reference. Seeing the number of TBHPians who have faced the same issues, I am surprised that Tata didnt pick on this issue earlier.

Quote:
10. The front seat comfort of the Hexa is still better while there is no contest when it comes to the rear seats.
The Hexa wins again? I dont fully follow.

Quote:
5. Where the Hexa betters it is during shifting through the PRND gears where you sometimes get a small jerk which is almost non exsistent in the Hexa since its a body on frame vehicle.
Does the body on frame really have that much of a span of influence over the jerk that might be felt? Im hearing of this correlation for the first time.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 15:41   #200
BHPian

Quote:

The Hexa wins again? I dont fully follow.

Does the body on frame really have that much of a span of influence over the jerk that might be felt? Im hearing of this correlation for the first time.
Thanks man. While the front seats of the Harrier are almost as good as those on the Hexa where it falters is in not providing a commanding driving position and messed up ergonomics. Plus the dashboard slopes or rather flows in such a way that your knees keep on digging in it.

As for the rear seats, well the Harrier doesn't have the option of captains chairs so it's a no contest against the Hexa and even the rear bench of the Hexa provides superior under thigh support and legroom. Plus the Hexa is almost 10 mm wider than the Harrier which makes seating 3 abreast more comfortable.

Regarding the jerks or the krrrr sound you sometimes feel/hear in automatics, since the Hexa has an additional layer of a ladder frame to isolate the occupants from the road shocks, these unwanted noises are better filtered out.

Last edited by ram87pune : 20th February 2020 at 15:51.
ram87pune is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 03:17   #201
BHPian

Does BS 6 Harrier have a petrol engine as well? Could see only Diesel in official page.
Avenger_123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 06:40   #202
BHPian

Only has a Diesel engine.
Garth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 17:33   #203

Glad to see that finally the Harrier gets an AT gearbox. While the purists might still favour the MT, I feel the AT makes more sense in the ever increasing chaotic city traffic. Eagerly waiting for a detailed and comprehensive test drive to see the performance of the AT gearbox.
shekjsk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 17:56   #204
BHPian

It's a good decision for Tata to have chosen a conventional torque converter gearbox for the AT version of Harrier. Extra points for buying it instead of developing one themselves. DCTs are too expensive to buy and repair for a Tata customer. CVTs would ruin the 170 BHP experience and AMTs are too jerky for this segment of car.
evil_grin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 18:53   #205
BHPian

Surprisingly, I saw a red Harrier with a black roof with its new set of alloy wheels today in Mumbai. That too parked at a local car wash area. I guess they have started deliveries.

PS: The red colour is a head-turner. Much more appealing than Callisto Copper.
Gixxy.danger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 05:56   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think Kerala would have topped the national sales of the Calisto Copper option of the Harrier, at least half the Harriers I see are in that shade. White seems to be a close second for the Harrier.
True.

When @ram87pune said the Calisto Copper was least loved/sold I was like

Every second Harrier I see is the Calisto Copper, followed by white dual tone ones.

Even my buddy, who is a fan of black colours, bought his in Calisto Copper. When the Dark edition was launched, he didn't mind as he was loving the Copper colour and didn't like the all black interiors of Black edition.

But right now, he is pulling his hair, as an automatic was the thing he wanted most.

His shopping list hopped from Nexon AMT to Hexa XTA and back, till his eyes locked on the Harrier. Waited for the autobox at launch, didn't wait. Straightaway bought one from the initial batch.

And loving it too.

Though the autobox, panaromic sunroof and USB port repositioning is like his complaint box ticked all at once.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:44   #207
BHPian

The 170 horses, the auto transmission and the sunroof are the major changes here. Did you experience and change in the fit and finish of the product? Also, with the expected on road price of around 22 lakhs, do you consider it worth a wait compared to the compass or the hector. I suggest seniors to draw out a comparison between these three now, considering they are going to cater to the daily needs of the city / weekend getaway commuter. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd February 2020 at 07:46. Reason: Please proof read prior to submission and use spell-checkers. Thanks.
born.4thnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:31   #208
Senior - BHPian

20th Feb has come and gone but no test drive harrier AT still available. Ive raised a stink with the SM team of TML who committed to me that the car will be available by 20th Feb. Seems like TML is run by a bunch of morons. March 31st is a critical cut off date and a lot of self employed professionals prefer to buy a car in end march to claim depreciation benefits. Not making a car available in March when it was launched in early Feb is stupidity of the highest order.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 21:40   #209
vdi
BHPian

Interestingly the sales guy who provided me all the pricing details don’t even remember me when I called him back after a week!!

Seems like TATA is only interested in manufacturing cars, not selling it.

Last edited by vdi : 22nd February 2020 at 21:41.
vdi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 22:49   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
Seems like TATA is only interested in manufacturing cars, not selling it.
The selling is by the dealer. Where's the company in this part of the cycle ? And the sales-person would have answered /met many other prospective customers in that one-week.

This is not specific to Tata, but any dealership / manufacturer.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed