Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2020, 19:35   #361
BHPian

Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I am surprised by how quiet this thread is. As the lock-downs have ended, I was expecting much more activity in terms of folks taking test drives, photos of new owners taking delivery of the Harrier AT and even some ownership reports. The sales figures will tell the story once the month ends, but I do hope the Harrier with the Auto starts to figure more in short-lists and purchases, TATA has really put together a compelling package and priced it well and the Harrier AT deserves to see some success.
I believe it is just the timing. If and when things come back to normal(might take a few more months unfortunately!), am certain that with the new BS6 + XZ/XZ+ features on offer, Harrier will find enough buyers.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 20:46   #362
BHPian

Even I felt that the buzz has suddenly gone out for the Harrier and it is no where in the picture and sales figues may reflect that. Hyundai Creta seems to have taken all the limelight.

I believe there are few reasons for the same.

1. Variant distribution: I think Tata have been lazy on variant distribution buy just putting all flagship features in the top end variant. Ideally they should have distributed and rejigged some features. The XZ/XZA could have had features like the panoramic roof (which the market loves) and could have given up some features like leather upholstery, 7 inch MID display, JBL system etc like the Hyundai Creta SX.

2. Mid variant automatic - The lowest prices decently loaded automatic Harrier is at 19 lacs ex-showroom. and the next is XMA without alloy wheels, auto ac, stop start feature, rear camera, brown dash and other features. They should have an XM+ or an XTA at 17-17.25 Lacs ex-showroom which can sell good numbers. Currently the XMA at 16.25 lacs looks too bland for the price.

3. No media effort: I see no media interaction on the Harrier while there are hundreds of recent videos on the Creta and even Seltos which is now 9-10 months old

I thought they had a good idea in Altroz by giving the factory level customization with set option packs. But surprisingly the factory level customization is not available for a car 3 times the price of Altroz.Ideally premium cars with low numbers are more suitable for factory level customizations.

However I feel Gravitas whenever it is released will do better numbers as Indians dont mind paying a premium for 7 seaters.
rkv_hunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 09:52   #363
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I remember that someone on the forum had told me that the Harrier's platform doesn't support AWD/4x4. I wish that were untrue. It would have broken the world. Unicorn combo (4x4+AT under 20L). But no, as Indians, we don't deserve affordable small automatic offroaders. Besides, what's the deal with Tata and auto transmission? Why do they hate it so much even though the ones they bring to the market are tuned really well? I don't get it!
P.S I wish there was a Tata Safari 4x4 with a 6-speed Aisin...
Old 21st June 2020, 10:48   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Mid variant automatic - The lowest prices decently loaded automatic Harrier is at 19 lacs ex-showroom. and the next is XMA without alloy wheels, auto ac, stop start feature, rear camera, brown dash and other features. They should have an XM+ or an XTA at 17-17.25 Lacs ex-showroom which can sell good numbers. Currently the XMA at 16.25 lacs looks too bland for the price.
Completely agree - the mid-spec variant is where they completely missed the bus. The interiors of the XMA is pathetic and the feature list is so paltry. Another big missed opportunity in my mind is the fact that at re-launch the car could have been more aggressively priced, to fill the gap left behind by the departure of the HEXA and the fact that Seltos and Creta had arrived by the time the BS6 Harrier. They could have started off with an XMA at 15 lakhs, launched an XTA variant (does not exist currently) at 16.25 lakhs and an fully loaded XZA at around 18 lakhs.

The Seltos and Creta were not there when the original Harrier was launched but are dominating the scene when the BS6-Harrier BS6 is being launched. What an opportunity to go a bit lower in the price spectrum and compete head-on! The value one would get in an Harrier XT Automatic (if there was one) vis-a-vis the top end variants of the Seltos and Creta is incredible. The Korean twins would look like overdressed midgets at a party where the Harrier looks the handsome hunk.

Finally starting to see some you-tube reviews of the Harrier again, below is one -a detailed review with excellent coverage of the XMA variant's interiors. No surprises that all the reviews are comparing the Harrier with the Creta!

The interiors of the XMA look really chap and the below review of the XTA interiors in Malayalam clearly shows that the XZA interiors are way superior. For a difference of around 3 lakhs on-road, the XZA seems to offer far superior value.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 21st June 2020 at 11:17.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 11:04   #365
Senior - BHPian

The XM variant should have been the XE variant. The current XE offers nothing for 17 lakhs OTR Bangalore. Not even a touchscreen with android auto. The XE variant only seems to exist on paper to give headlines of "Starting from 13.69 lakhs" in advertisements.

The Creta on the other hand even with the base variant looks fairly kitted for 12 lakhs onroad. The SX variant at 17 with panoramic sunroof and a ton of features makes more sense than XE Harrier for the same money.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 11:25   #366
Senior - BHPian

Sales guys are sleeping. I'm a prospective customer and they have my details, but they never call. They just wont use their data base. I had approached Kia motors directly for Seltos details during launch, and they still call me from their HQ if I'm interested (not their dealership, though)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Even I felt that the buzz has suddenly gone out for the Harrier and it is no where in the picture and sales figures may reflect that.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 12:01   #367
BHPian

While I have yet to drive the new BS6 my experience with the BS4 XM was lackluster and gave a impression of a half baked product and the XM which was available readily did not even have Android Auto even with a touch screen available.

New BS6 seems better and have heard that the steering is better too. Hope the TeamBHP review comes up soon and certainly I would recommend this new car over my current Seltos.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 12:54   #368
GBX
BHPian

Just started seeing ads for the AT Harrier on news channels. The ads simply doesn't do justice to the car's looks. I've seen better angles on amateur youtube videos. And that slow motion wheelspin shot of a big FWD car? Please Tata, edit it out. It's god awful.

But IMO, the front end really could use a facelift to get it inline with their 2020 design (Altroz/Nexon/Tiago). Compared to most of those shark noses, this thing looks pudgy and whale-like at the front. That said, still blown away by the side profile on this car, fantastic stance.
Old 21st June 2020, 13:19   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The XM variant should have been the XE variant. The current XE offers nothing for 17 lakhs OTR Bangalore. Not even a touchscreen with android auto. The XE variant only seems to exist on paper to give headlines of "Starting from 13.69 lakhs" in advertisements.

The Creta on the other hand even with the base variant looks fairly kitted for 12 lakhs onroad. The SX variant at 17 with panoramic sunroof and a ton of features makes more sense than XE Harrier for the same money.
IMO, The rapid rider is at a similar base level as compared to the XE variant? Still there is lot of interest in the Rider variant of Rapid, and seems zero interest in the XE variant of the Harrier. Possibly because lower segment cars vs. higher segment cars bias?
Old 21st June 2020, 13:36   #370
Senior - BHPian

Been seeing quite a few harriers on the road of late. This thing has insane road presence. Saw a red and black dual tone XZA+ yesterday. Man does that thing look hot or what! Pratap Bose and team have done an outstanding job with this car and IMHO nothing this side of a RR Velar can match up to the Harrier in terms of looks. The Seltos looks overdone in comparison, and lets not even talk of the Creta! (no offence to the respective owners)

Last edited by Sheel : 21st June 2020 at 14:33. Reason: Could you please start your paragraph / post with a capital letter? Thanks.
himanshugoswami is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 19:19   #371
BHPian

+1

actually in our whatsapp group already a few people have started getting deliveries. The AT seems to be a popular choice.

Congratulations! what color have you chosen?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st June 2020 at 23:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
vk007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 05:47   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Sales guys are sleeping. I'm a prospective customer and they have my details, but they never call. They just wont use their data base. I had approached Kia motors directly for Seltos details during launch, and they still call me from their HQ if I'm interested (not their dealership, though)
This is so true. I’ve been to the Tata dealership next to my house twice to check out the Dark Edition, but not a single Sales staff there was interested in making a sale.

The first time I went there, the Receptionist pointed me to the Dark Edition Harrier that was on display and called an Executive to assist me. He was chit chatting with his team there, and was clearly unhappy that he had to leave the fun table. While I was asking him about the changes, all he cared to say was ‘the interiors are blacked out, no other changes’ while texting someone on his phone. While I checked the interiors and exteriors, he just stood there, still on his phone. I came out of the car and asked him if he wasn’t serious about the job, that shook him a bit. He apologised and said ‘his friend is hospitalised, it was an emergency’, to which I had to say ‘Oh, is that why you were all smiling while texting, happy for him ah’. Just a blunt smile to coverup his BS, he said he would get me the brochure and went into his cabin, and never came out.

The second time, they sent a lady to assist me, the boy was nowhere to be seen. I told her that I came to check if they had any info on the launch date of the automatic , And she said they won’t be launching it for a good two years and I should buy the manual is instead. I told her that i am only looking to buy an automatic, she said ‘oh....’ and told me to check the car, and she left. Showed no interest in showing me the Hexa whatsoever.

I’ve always felt that the job of a commissioned sales man to be the best job out there, it’s fun and rewarding. Heck, I am an architect and into construction, and I enjoy selling my project to clients. Convincing them of something, and watching them turn is so rewarding. Hyundai has been acing it for years. If you’ve been to their showroom, they will call you every month and check if you are still interested in buying their car. Always so courteous, Hyundai knows how to train their sales team.

Tata deserves a higher market share, they rightfully do. But their Sales team doesn’t love their cars, and you can’t sell something that you don’t love or admire. It’s high time Tata sort this out or else this attitude will always cripple them.
RR1108 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:52   #373
Senior - BHPian

RR1108, why should we bother so much about salesguys? Rude or uninterested salesguys are everywhere. My friend went to check out Seltos and no one bothered to talk to him. It happens across all cars. As for Hyundai acing for years, please see the issues on Hyundai cars, running on a thread on these pages, which are more important to me than whether salesguy rolled out red carpet for me or not. If salesman is nonchalant, have a word with his supervisor and he will assign another salesman or attend on you himself.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:17   #374
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
IMO, The rapid rider is at a similar base level as compared to the XE variant? Still there is lot of interest in the Rider variant of Rapid, and seems zero interest in the XE variant of the Harrier. Possibly because lower segment cars vs. higher segment cars bias?

Really? Have you even seen the Harrier XE?

Rapid rider gets black bumpers? Nope. Body coloured. Harrier?
Rapid rider gets black door handles? Nope. Harrier?

Rapid rider gets a stereo. Harrier? Nope.
Rapid rider gets remote locking. And a flip key. Harrier? Nope.

Harrier is a 15 lakh rupee car. And it comes without a stereo or a remote lock.

The rapid is 50 grand more than a Polo. Let that sink in. And it is a car that is far easier to live with than the polo. And it has that brilliant TSi engine.

What is the Harrier XE's usp anyway? Oh, and the Harrier XE only comes with White colour.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd June 2020 at 15:12. Reason: Ha*RRR*ier = Harrier. Please proof read before submitting your post.
turbo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:24   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Really? Have you even seen the Harrier XE?

Rapid rider gets black bumpers? Nope. Body coloured. Harrier?
Rapid rider gets black door handles? Nope. Harrier?
Rapid rider gets a stereo. Harrier? Nope.
Rapid rider gets remote locking. And a flip key. Harrier? Nope.

Harrier is a 15 lakh rupee car. And it comes without a stereo or a remote lock.

What is the Harrier XE's usp anyway?
Well, You can ride a Harrier over a Rapid.
Jokes apart, you are comparing two very different vehicles, the only commonailties being they run on four wheels, have a steering and a spare wheel.

Diesel Vs Petrol
SUV Vs Sedan
Size
Space
Relative comfort

Too many things across different segments to even call it a comparison.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd June 2020 at 15:12. Reason: Quoted post edited.
discoverwild is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks