Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 10:12   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
While resale value is a different factor altogether, after sales service is something that Tata can surely work on. After owning Tata Estate, Sumo, Indigo Manza, Indica and a Nano, I’m not too happy about the way you are treated at the service centre. I took a conscious decision to move away from Tata due to the appalling lack of attention to detail, “chalta hai” attitude and the fraudulent bills.
And, yet you bought so many Tata cars? Surprising indeed. Unless, you were treated badly only at the time of purchase of your latest Tata car of the lot you mentioned, why would you keep going back to them? I'm sorry to say this but when you say something like this, it doesn't add up to reason. And, lastly, whether Tata or Toyota, Maruti or Mercedes, sales-staff are all Indians. Their behavior/mannerism across the brands are more or less the same, despite being trained differently in-house. I have seen this kind of behavior which you described with almost all brands. Tata is no exception. This, Tata being the only bad-boy line has been beaten to death, dug out of grave and beaten to death again. I think we should move on and focus on the car in question and this thread, a 6-speed Harrier.
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 11:51   #482
Senior - BHPian

Atleast Tata spares are available openly in case we opt for non-dealer options. Is that the case with the Harrier as well, are the 2.0 multijet spares available easily as well?

Last edited by manson : 16th July 2020 at 16:25. Reason: Typo.
Old 16th July 2020, 12:14   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
This, Tata being the only bad-boy line has been beaten to death, dug out of grave and beaten to death again. I think we should move on and focus on the car in question and this thread, a 6-speed Harrier.
Well said.

After buying the Hexa, being aware of goof ups and hiccups of Tata's after sales, and actually going through it, I've come to a certain conclusion. Want to own a fun car? Be prepared for some niggles and lazy after sales (Although in my case TASS was proactive and it's the factory people who goofed up) Or you could get a boring one with a fill it, shut it and forget it experience.

Boring cars (Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota) > Good sales & service, with some bad eggs

Fun cars (VAG, Skoda, Tata catching up) > Hit or miss sales & service

We need to stop generalizing after sales. There are enough horror stories of Skoda here on this forum, but you'd find many happy Skoda/VAG owners here too. Same goes with Tata.

Quote:
Try as I might, I’m unable to convince my brain to buy a Harrier that I liked so much. Guess I’ll wait for something better from a different brand.
If it's after sales which is stopping you from getting the Harrier, I would recommend you to have a chat with Tata owning BHPians ram87pune and Reinhard, and many others here who too are from Pune. Maybe a reliable TASS could change your mind.

Last edited by TROOPER : 16th July 2020 at 12:15.
TROOPER is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 12:16   #484
BHPian

Quote:
“chalta hai” attitude and the fraudulent bills.

Isnt it the case with other A.S.Ss as well. Give them a free hand and they will suck you dry(talking about bank balance). The service estimate for my honda city starts from 7–8k and after removing unnecessary items(not mentioned in the manual) it comes down to 3.5-4k.

Never owned tata vehicle so will not praise or criticize harrier.
Raghav96 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 12:30   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Isnt it the case with other A.S.Ss as well. Give them a free hand and they will suck you dry(talking about bank balance). The service estimate for my honda city starts from 7–8k and after removing unnecessary items(not mentioned in the manual) it comes down to 3.5-4k.

Very true. Hyundai quotes 7k for a yearly service for small entry level car like Eon and then after lot of questing and bargaining it's brought down to 4.5k still 500 bucks more then my Honda City's yearly service.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 13:49   #486
BHPian

Quote:
While resale value is a different factor altogether, after sales service is something that Tata can surely work on.
I don't think TATA cars are still having resale value concern. All of their new cars has excellent resale value, starting from humble Tiago to low selling Hexa. And for sure HARRIER too will hold it's value well. Maybe the resale value might be a little less for the BS4 versions due to the initial niggle reports and low tune engine, other wise it's all good for all the TATA cars on sale. Yes the After sales depends, but things are getting better only in TATA

Last edited by manson : 16th July 2020 at 14:09. Reason: Typo.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 15:07   #487
BANNED

Thanks to the continuation of beaten to death topic, every new Tata customer even before experiencing the service will be having a preconceived notion that Tata's a.s.s is bad, so even a slightest mistake or bad experience leads to confirmation of the previous notion. This creates an endless cycle of events which sustains the bad a.s.s image of Tata.

Incase of other manufacturers, good image is helping them have successful ride despite the issues, take Hyundai for example, even with serious brakes failure & EPS failure issues, they still enjoy good image owing to preconceived notion that their products & service are good, many owners with issues thought that their's is a one off case and hence ignored it. Wonder why despite the seriousness of the brakes and eps issues since long why they never made it to the Hyundai's official reviews.

More than the a.s.s experiences of each manufacturer, it is the brand image that is at work, incase of Tata it is working against it, incase of other manufacturers it is working for them. That's why first impressions matter a lot.
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 15:58   #488
BHPian

Speaking live Tata service my brother in law has a Tata HEXA which he has been using for the last two and half years and it has uneven tyre eating issue which still has not been resolved by the ASS till date.

That is one of the many reasons why I did not buy the first generation harrier but the second generation harrier sure does feel quite different.
Old 16th July 2020, 16:37   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Speaking live Tata service my brother in law has a Tata HEXA which he has been using for the last two and half years and it has uneven tyre eating issue which still has not been resolved by the ASS till date.
Do let us know how many kilometres the car has run, whether the wheels were aligned and balanced at regular intervals, the kind of roads and the nature of the driver (brother in-law). Has he ever got the wheels checked in an independent wheel alignment garage?
Old 16th July 2020, 17:05   #490

I was intereseted in XZA Plus. But it was way out of my budget. it cost around 25L on road in trivandrum. If tata can provide XTA with 6 airbags and alloys@ 17.8~18 lakhs ex would make me think about it again. In My opioning tata should remove the barebone XMA variant and launch XTA with added features.
Old 16th July 2020, 17:47   #491
Senior - BHPian

What Tata should have done long back was to sit with their UK-based JLR collegues and either

1. Buy an old British brand name like Morris, Riley, Triumph, Hillman, Singer, Sunbeam, Talbot etc. Now a lot of these brand names do have an owner, having found their way into conglomerates today thanks to consolidation but maybe something interesting could have been found.

2. Dig into their own portfolio to find something

For eg:

"Rover"

From Wiki: The rights to the marque are currently part of Jaguar Land Rover, but no Rover vehicles are currently in production and the marque is considered dormant.

The "Rover" brand name is also not owned by MG Motor of China. Here's the history behind it from wiki

Quote:
2004: MG Rover enters in talks with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) about a possible collaboration, following the collapse of a proposed venture with Malaysian carmaker Proton.
2004: MG Rover sell design rights to the Rover 25 and 75 to SAIC to raise money to help keep the business afloat in the face of falling sales.
2005: Negotiations on possible joint venture with SAIC stall, and MG Rover collapses. Price Waterhouse Coopers called in as administrators. MG Rover car production ends and the Longbridge plant closes with the loss of more than 6,000 jobs.
2005: Nanjing Automobile Group acquires the entire assets of MG Rover.
2005/06: Nanjing Automobile Corporation announces plans to build cars at Longbridge after signing a deal to lease the site for 33 years.
2006: SAIC sets up a new brand called Roewe after losing the right to buy the Rover brand name, and later launches a model based on an extended Rover 75 platform, called the Roewe 750.
2006: Ford buys the rights to the Rover marque, meaning that only the MG badge can be used on the new range of Nanjing-built cars.
Later Ford bundled the Rover name in the sale to Tata.

Now Rover great name for a brand. It has existed as an independent brand before (even used on a Tata). What if Tata had resurrected Rover as a bridge-ing brand, to market their SUVs and premium products right from Sub-4m compacts to Fortuner/Kodiaq level and also premium MUVs and sedans. It could have a history, it could stand for luxury, good build quality, features, standalone dealership network etc.

It could have benefit everyone in the chain from Tata to JLR, who have been struggling to get into the compact luxury SUV and compact luxury sedan market which is dominated by the Germans. This would have been a global brand.

I am not sure if I would have used that brand right down to the Tiago level, maybe retain the Tata name for that till the Nexon, which would also be competiting with a more premium Rover-Nexon would have also have existed. Above that it is only Rover.

Ofcourse, the carmaker who did this perfectly is MG. And it has actually sold itself as more British than Tata which owns one of Britain's current largest automotive brands (vs an old dead brand) and who's product Harrier was partly developed with JLR's input!

Last edited by avishar : 16th July 2020 at 17:49.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 22:27   #492

Took delivery of Harrier XZA+ 3 days back and clocked 720 Kms and I am loving every bit of it. This car is truely above all. It feels and drives like a proper SUV, and once you start driving it, all those little niggles will vanish and you will simply fall in love with this car.

I was confused between the Harrier, Creta ( the driver seat and ergonomics) , Seltos ( for its plush materials ) and the Crysta ( reliability). I am super glad and dancing for going with my heart on this one.

I had a few concerns with the Harrier. Hated the hornpad ( that cheap looking fibre cover was a glaring eyesore ), seating ergonomics ( my leg kept hitting the console no matter how much i tried ), hard plastics on the door pad, and the unusable hand rest ( how hard is it to provide a sliding handrest, duh!!).

3 days later, I am so in love with the car that all these issues don’t bother me any. ( except the handrest, irks me every time). This is a seriously well engineered machine, and the driving dynamics is brilliant. The ESP modes are not mere marketing gimmicks like the connected car options or the internet inside flashy badges. They really work.

I am smitten
RR1108 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 00:36   #493
BHPian

Quote:
And, yet you bought so many Tata cars? Surprising indeed. Unless, you were treated badly only at the time of purchase of your latest Tata car of the lot you mentioned, why would you keep going back to them? I'm sorry to say this but when you say something like this, it doesn't add up to reason.
The normal me would have ignored these replies to my post but this is a topic close to me since I love brand Tata. I have a kind of emotional attachment with it. So while the reply is slightly long, here it is..
The Estate, Sumo and the Manza were purchased when I was a kid So I had no control. But I definitely remember my father fretting over the decision after visiting the service centre. The Manza was still a good one as we got it at Nashik and the dealer there, Sterling Motors was just fab.

The Indica was a car that I got from my own hard earned money...every bit of it. It was a natural choice at that time due to oodles of space available. This was purchased from BU Bhandari at Pune. Till the time it was BU Bhandari, my Indica was the talk of the town and I was the most preferred person to travel with. Just flawless.. Then, one fine day BUB went to VW and Tata went to the @%#$ Pandit Automotive. Then began the nightmares. Every service, something or the other would need to be replaced. Major issues highlighted, the car started sounding bad. Mind you, all this at just around 25K km. I decided to sell the car and move to something easier. Its difficult to have sleepless nights when the car you love so much gives you a 'burn.

The Nano was acquired via the Tata employee scheme. A friend who worked for Tata Motors offered his allocation of the Nano with the same commercials. At that time, I was looking for a small car for my Mother to drive around to the market.
I've written the Nano story somewhere in this forum but Im too lazy to search and link it up for you here. So just a brief; The goons at Pandit crashed my Nano while towing it to the service station after a fuel pump failure in the middle of the road. On top of it, they argued that the damage was already present on the car. When I showed them the counter slip given to me at the time of pickup, they said the service advisor did not mark anything there (since it was a scratchless car, yeah). After pulling a lot of strings at the top, they conceded and repaired dented surfaces, repaired the bumpers, replaced headlight and tail-light. So from this incident onwards, Pandit was out of scope for me.
Then came the the idiots at concorde. They made me visit them thrice just for an alignment issue. After advising change of the entire suspension assembly at the front, the first time, they delivered the Nano with loose bolts on the suspension and delivered the car without any QC. Since it was late in the evening, they asked me to visit again next day. The next day, they delivered the car with both the wheels pointing inside. Result? screeching tyres in straight line. When I complained, they said it all ok. I went to Darshan tyres and got to know that the Toe-In was messed up. Then, a day later, the steering wheel started rattling. Off to concorde and they admitted that the rack bolts weren't tightened. These visits to concorde were from my home at Vimannagar to Wakad...a distance of over 20-25 km and in weekdays. Several other times, their service left a lot to be desired. Something as basic as the oil level not checked after service is the biggest sin that one can commit. An empty coolant reservoir and screeching brakes after a brake service say a lot about what was actually done. Then there were times when items like engine flush, bardhal additive and air-conditioner servicing were added to the bill. I did not authorise these things. And, there was no evidence that this was carried out.
But, do I love the Nano? Hell yes, it was my "IN" car. There were times that I left my larger cars at home and traveled to Nashik in a Nano just for the pure fun of it. I still miss my Nano as I strongly believe that this was the most wrongly marketed car.

So while I've been a Tata 'at heart', the current state of A.S.S (at least in this part of the country) sucks. And, that's surprising and bad cause most of these cars are manufactured here...

Quote:
And, lastly, whether Tata or Toyota, Maruti or Mercedes, sales-staff are all Indians. Their behavior/mannerism across the brands are more or less the same, despite being trained differently in-house. I have seen this kind of behavior which you described with almost all brands. Tata is no exception.
Yes, you are right but there have been one off instances in my other experiences. Here it was more of a rule than exception. I'm honestly not sure about other Tata car owners that would have had a good experience (and, Im sure there would have been quite a few). But isn't my experience enough to have a scar for a long time?

Quote:
This, Tata being the only bad-boy line has been beaten to death, dug out of grave and beaten to death again. I think we should move on and focus on the car in question and this thread, a 6-speed Harrier.
This does point out to many others like me, left with a scar on their Tata ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post

Fun cars (VAG, Skoda, Tata catching up) > Hit or miss sales & service

We need to stop generalizing after sales. There are enough horror stories of Skoda here on this forum, but you'd find many happy Skoda/VAG owners here too. Same goes with Tata.

If it's after sales which is stopping you from getting the Harrier, I would recommend you to have a chat with Tata owning BHPians ram87pune and Reinhard, and many others here who too are from Pune. Maybe a reliable TASS could change your mind.
I have a large family, a joint family if you may call it so. I personally own a Superb, Rapid, i20 and a Sunny but we have a huge collection across that consists of Jeep Compass, VW Vento and Polo, Toyota Altis, Maruti Zen (yes, the pink one), Mahindra XUV500 Auto and Honda City in the parking lot. Each one of them come with their own share of issues with A.S.S. While some of them are persistent (like Mahindra) others are one off (like Skoda and Hyundai). If you ask me, all of us at one time had a Tata car and today we have none from this brand. Says a lot about our collective experience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post

Possibly true but this is something that I've not experienced elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
I don't think TATA cars are still having resale value concern. All of their new cars has excellent resale value, starting from humble Tiago to low selling Hexa. And for sure HARRIER too will hold it's value well. Maybe the resale value might be a little less for the BS4 versions due to the initial niggle reports and low tune engine, other wise it's all good for all the TATA cars on sale. Yes the After sales depends, but things are getting better only in TATA
Fingers crossed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Thanks to the continuation of beaten to death topic, every new Tata customer even before experiencing the service will be having a preconceived notion that Tata's a.s.s is bad, so even a slightest mistake or bad experience leads to confirmation of the previous notion. This creates an endless cycle of events which sustains the bad a.s.s image of Tata.

Incase of other manufacturers, good image is helping them have successful ride despite the issues, take Hyundai for example, even with serious brakes failure & EPS failure issues, they still enjoy good image owing to preconceived notion that their products & service are good, many owners with issues thought that their's is a one off case and hence ignored it. Wonder why despite the seriousness of the brakes and eps issues since long why they never made it to the Hyundai's official reviews.

More than the a.s.s experiences of each manufacturer, it is the brand image that is at work, incase of Tata it is working against it, incase of other manufacturers it is working for them. That's why first impressions matter a lot.
Mine is definitely not a pre-conceived notion. It is my own experience and, while I cannot force people to think in a particular way, my sour tales with Tata A.S.S are definitely forcing me to think differently.
See, my simple, common mind thinks, "If these guys cant service a Nano or an Indica properly, would the same guys be able to do justice to a car with such sophisticated and advanced features?" The engine is from Jeep and the tranny from Hyundai. The Harrier is truly a global cosmopolitan product with parts and technology sourced from different parts of the world. Would the same set of mechanics even know how to maintain let alone repair the car? I'm not sure and I'm not sure if I can take that risk anymore

Last edited by roadrunner_nv : 17th July 2020 at 00:39. Reason: spell check
roadrunner_nv is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 07:38   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See, my simple, common mind thinks, "If these guys cant service a Nano or an Indica properly, would the same guys be able to do justice to a car with such sophisticated and advanced features?" The engine is from Jeep and the tranny from Hyundai. The Harrier is truly a global cosmopolitan product with parts and technology sourced from different parts of the world. Would the same set of mechanics even know how to maintain let alone repair the car? I'm not sure and I'm not sure if I can take that risk anymore
I think about it the other way around. I think more than the ASS, Tata parts quality is to blame. Tata's parts quality makes the customer visit the service center more frequently than he would have in case of other manufactures. This in turn exposes the weaknesses in ASS staff. ASS staff is a hit or a miss for any manufacturer. It can be masked to an extend by parts that do not prematurely fail.

So may be Harrier's international shared parts will not fail that often unlike the ones sourced for Indica and Nano when they were new to cars. Of-course , we all will take a long time to forget the bad experiences and regain the trust in those who let us down once.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 12:47   #495
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been a silent observer of this thread and other Tata Harrier thread, since Tata Harrier has been launched. I really love the car, they way it looks from both outside and inside. Now i am in bit of dilemma to buy this beauty.
Currently i have Mahindra XUV500, W10 AT. I bought this car in 2017 and it clocked 50,000 KMs till now. The overall performance is really good but it has started to show its age- design wise and Interior quality wise. There are lot of niggles and i just can't see that plain below par interior quality and design on daily basis.
Now i am evaluating options in the range to 22-24 Lakhs. I really don't need a 7 seater car. Now, should i consider Tata harrier, XTA+ model after XUV500. Will it going to be really an upgrade from current car? Are there small-2 niggles in Tata Harrier too, like XUV500? If someone has owned both cars, can they share their experience of moving from XUV to Tata Harrier and the notable changes?
P.S After driving XUV, i am not look at Kia Seltos or Hyundai Creta as an option.
Ashu03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks