Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th February 2020, 12:15   #91
Team-BHP Support

Default re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Where will the Gravitas be positioned now and how will Tata justify the premium over their current offering in the 7 seat space - Hexa?
IMHO - Gravitas is looking quite pointless right now, after the updated Harrier BS6.

Neither does it have the desirability factor of the Harrier BS6, nor will it be compared to the likes of Endeavour and Fortuner by the general market. Looks to be serving only a niche market of Harrier customers who absolutely need the additional two seats.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:24   #92
BHPian

Superb pricing by Tata for sure.

Surprised seeing people feeling that it is over-priced. Do remember the direct competitor (Hector) is a petrol automatic with pathetic mileage and sluggish performance.

Harrier now gets everything that the compass gets (except for 4x4) and is bigger in size, massive road presence and almost comparable built quality (compass though a bit better but that is just nit-picking).

People expecting poor Tata to price the Harrier at dirt-cheap prices and give it away for free, please wake up from your slumber. Even the much smaller Seltos Diesel automatic top end costs 21.5 lacs + OTR Bangalore and has a lesser powerful engine, less road presence, smaller sunroof and now there are reports on its thread about rear ac vents blowing hot air due to improper exhaust design.

So, I think Harrier makes a strong case for itself now. Though I hoped that they had better equipped lower variants like Kia has done.
Candy$Cars is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:29   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
20.15L ex-showroom easily translates to ~25.25L OTR in Bangalore. Road tax is about 19% and add to it insurance and incidentals. At best by going for insurance outside, transferring existing NCB and by waiving off handling charges it comes around 24.5L on the road.[/list]
XZA+ pricing at 19.99 makes it to the lower road tax bracket (17%) in Bangalore. You will end up getting it at ~24L on road.
Thats the variant to go for, unless one is way too obsessed with Dual tone or Dark edition.

You get DT or #Dark from factory and you end up with higher tax bracket.
murajith is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:43   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
XZA+ pricing at 19.99 makes it to the lower road tax bracket (17%) in Bangalore.
Could you please share a link to the slabs you mentioned above?
I knew of 15.54% (6L to 10L ex-showroom) and 18.87% (> 10L ex-showroom).
Old 5th February 2020, 12:49   #95
BHPian

Clearly not overpriced. This hit the real sweet spot. They want to pull in the Compass sales along with some MG and Kias. They need to revive interest with some quality advts like the old Safari advt. If this does not sell then it would be very demotivating for them. They have worked on the concerns and delivered on value. I am very curious about the Gravtias positioning now, especially when they continue to sell the Hexa. Will it get them the numbers? I am not sure about it. The Harrier on the other hand seems sorted with this iteration.
chittybang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:08   #96
BHPian

At this price, aren't they competing with the Seltos top end? That's also priced at 19.xx lakhs in NCR. If someone is not interested in the increased size (this is still a 5 seater), which car is, practically, a better bet - Seltos or BS 6 Harrier, or the soon to be launched BS 6 Creta ? Confusing times for a buyer for sure
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:17   #97
NTO
BHPian

If Compass had a Limited plus diesel AT (4X2) it should've been priced at 28.5 lacs, on road Chennai. Considering this, the price of the Harrier XZA+ priced at 23.9 lacs on road Chennai seems to be significantly higher VFM in every respect. I feel it is a killer pricing by TATA. If it had a 4X4 set up, I would pick it up over Compass any day.
Old 5th February 2020, 13:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pricing, considering what the rivals come at. Seltos top-end AT is close to 21.xx L. Harrier is at least 1.5 X size of Seltos. Does that mean nothing? Heck, it's even bigger than Compass which costs almost 9 L plus.

One may find 23 L big sum in absolute terms ( I do, too ) but bring in the relativity and it's VFM.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:57   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
With this pricing, Hector is going to be in trouble for sure.
- Now harrier is having Automatic too and Hector has no diesel automatic in near future.
MG revealed the pricing of the petrol variants but held back announcing the price of the diesel until the Harrier 2020 launch. Now they'll be on the drawing board as to how to go for a minimum increase to match the harrier head to head.

Don't forget, MG had already raised prices by 45k in phase 2. So I'm assuming they will look to keep their pricing as close to the harrier as possible.

They've lost the sunroof advantage but the bling factor - connected car tech remains. Most people I see in the showroom are wowed by the voice commands and the big touchscreen. And the perceived value of its British roots.

Hector Diesel AT isn't an option that the company is exploring strongly at the moment as the DCT is doing extremely well in the metros.

It'll be good to see how the numbers fare when Harrier deliveries begin. Hector is holding steady at 3-3.5k and they're looking to increase production to 4k a month.

Interesting times ahead.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:04   #100
Senior - BHPian

XZA+ @ ₹19.99L is just Wow! Great pricing sure to ruffle a few feathers. It's a great car; should have the connected car features, too.
Old 5th February 2020, 15:01   #101

Great job Tata this pricing is very on point. I think now there is a space between the Harrier and the Nexon w.r.t the price gap, where the Tata Blackbird is likely to be placed.
AnkitMahendru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 15:15   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthusiast View Post
Zigwheels were reporting18inch wheels for the Harrier at Auto Expo, not sure if Tata motors would provide them as an option.
I read the same somewhere. But the updated brochure seems to indicate only 17 inch tyres on the upper variants

https://cars.tatamotors.com/images/h...erBrochure.pdf
Old 5th February 2020, 15:37   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Looks great in the new Red color. Hope Tata will continue the VFM pricing for Automatic Variants.
Now, look at this pic- "Land Rover Pedigree" written neat foot well - Was it really required Tata? A well engineered and capable car would showcase its pedigree by itself, no decals, stickers or accessories required for that.
It felt more like an "Internet Inside" badge of MG Motors.
Completely justified! Not only do they own the brand, the Harrier is also based on a Land Rover platform.

In fact I had made this very suggestion a few months before the Harrier launch that Tata must flaunt its Land Rover pedigree to get an upper hand on its rivals. Seems Tata is listening to suggestions on this forum ;-)
manishk123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 16:01   #104
BHPian

If people consider Harrier overpriced then what would you say for puny Seltos ? Considering the obnoxious prices of these wannabe SUVs I feel Harrier is now a VFM product with genuine efforts gone into it. Period.
Storm2.0 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 16:24   #105
BHPian

Sweet package with right pricing in my honest opinion. Like they say in Hindi - "Der aaye, par durust aaye". We all honestly wanted to see this package a year ago. It would have given Kia and MG a run for their money. Let's hope it's not too late and customers really see the quality and features Harrier brings on the plate. Infact, i wouldn't be surprised if buyers in the Endeavour and Fortuner territory see more value here and switch to harrier. Of course, the 4x4 enthusiasts will not have that option (yet).

Tata need to market this with some sweet (even smaller) rewards/offers to gain momentum. Some suggested about a buyback scheme by Tata themselves 5 years down the line. Something like that would be amazing! It would instill confidence in the product and takes the brand a long way.

I am in the market for an SUV and I was waiting for Gravitas (occasional 7 seater requriement). But, I want all the BS6 Harrier features in Gravitas by mid of this year. I doubt it will happen. So, I am making a case with the ministry for the Harrier .
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed