Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2020, 09:47   #121
BHPian

Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

So glad to be have proved wrong! Killer pricing TATA . I do believe if they can from hereon keep close tabs on Deliveries, Showroom & A.S.S. Experience, QC and Niggles, this can disrupt the top-end of this segment.

If I had not taken the Seltos D-AT already, the XZA+ Dark was definitely a contender and who knows heart would have quite possibly ruled over head as well!

I had decided to park some investment in Tata M & DVR shares when I had seen the concept of Harrier and Altroz in the Expo, looking at their line-up again of Altroz, HBX/Hornbill, Nexon EV, Tiago Twins, Harrier (the entire line-up except Hexa), I predict each car in their segment to do significant numbers and them claiming the 3rd spot on the Tables very soon. Take a Bow Guenter, Pratap Bose and the team!
AGwagon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 10:12   #122
BHPian

I am not thrilled with the prices, considering that the On road price of current top model XZ DT and the New Top model XZA+ is about 3.2 to 3.8 lakhs depending on state.
Also the BS4 model was being sold with a 1.5 Lakh discount.

So in effect if you buy the new top end you pay 4.7 to 5.3 lakhs extra for BS6, Automatic, Panoramic Roof, Electric seats and 170 hp mainly over the existing XZ.

Whether the car commands that kind of a premium will be seen in the next few months but from a buyers perspective that is a huge difference.
rkv_hunter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 14:09   #123

Though the wheelbase, width and length of Harrier is more than XUV 500 it feels smaller from inside. XUV 500 feels more spacious.
Travel master is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 14:37   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And exactly why I'd advised in the Tata Harrier review to wait for the 2020 or 2021 version of the car. Whoever waited will end up with a far superior product and one with (hopefully) a lot of the niggles ironed out.
Can we expect a review of the BS6 Harrier from T-BHP to check if the product is now sorted and be a good purchase?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th February 2020 at 13:46. Reason: Typo.
isandy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 15:21   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post

So in effect if you buy the new top end you pay 4.7 to 5.3 lakhs extra for BS6, Automatic, Panoramic Roof, Electric seats and 170 hp mainly over the existing XZ.
Precisely my dilemma. In KA the top end manual now breaches 24 lakhs. At best we can expect a 50k discount during festive season but it won't soften the blow enough. Sadly no BS4 discounts to look forward to either.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th February 2020 at 13:47. Reason: Typo.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 15:34   #126
BHPian

Great updates to an already handsome looking car. If I must nitpick, I wish Tata Motors would have given a rear middle headrest for the 5th adult occupant; at least in its top 3 or 2 variants. The rear seat of Harrier is spacious enough to accommodate 3 adults. The backrest angle is good too with no uncomfortable protrusion in the middle. Long journeys are possible and would have been comfortably enjoyable for the 5th adult with the headrest. Nevertheless, it’s the most desirable car for me from Tata Motors' stable.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th February 2020 at 13:47. Reason: Typos.
T.S. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 19:11   #127
BHPian

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

I for one wanted this very TATA product to succeed from day one. I am a bit of a patriot and TATA fanboy, had the Indica poster on my wall when it was launched. Anyways. 3 months ago I was on a serious lookout for a new car. Wanted a big spacious comfortable punchy diesel vehicle. Test drove all competitors and realised very sadly that the 140 horses that the harrier had were not put onto the road in the manner they should have been. Drive the old harrier after an xuv or Innova crysta and you will know what I mean. Saddened by the disappointment of harrier I zeroed in on the Innova. Then news of the BS6 update came. Apparently it will take a year for the BS6 fuel to be uniformly available across India. Did my research on this and found out that due to low sulphur content in the BS6 fuel which will take a year to spread across india and with the availability of high sulphur bs4 diesel till then the BS6 cars will be having a tough time for a year. The BS4 would be fine for a year but when the low sulphur diesel comes, they will have problems for the remaining life. Got fed up and hung my gloves. And lo- behold harrier launches in a magnificent avatar. I really want it to succeed. Waiting for Gto to get his hands on the new one and tell us what's it like.
The upgrade should have been launched from the start. Tata would have really laughed their way to the bank that way. I don't feel that it is overpriced. Look at creta or seltos. They are overpriced cars. Anyways it is never too late. Hopefully this time it does a turnaround. I can't help but give secondary glances whenever I see a harrier on road. It does look the most smashing vehicle there is in the current Indian market. I really want it to succeed else it is the Innova for me.

Last edited by knrn : 6th February 2020 at 19:13.
knrn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:22   #128

I am not excited about this pricing, considering that the On road price of the current top model XZA + and XZA + DT is about 25+ lakhs depending on the state.
I wouldn't call it way overpriced but definitely not disruptive pricing either. I was hoping they would launch pricing in the order of 15 lakhs for XMA and 17 lakhs for the XZA.
Hopefully, discounts will start coming to year-end and that will be at a good time to buy one. It will be interesting if Hyundai starts localization and bring down the Tucson Prices to take on harrier.
Turbospool83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 12:31   #129
BHPian

I think those feel Harrier 2.0 is overpriced and its being compared with Seltos/Creta pricing due to the reason it was in that range just a month back. So last month when we compared available SUVs in around 15 - 20 lakhs bracket, we had refreshing Seltos, old but stable Creta and over bashed Harrier. All are of similar performance level with positives one or other for those 3 cars. Even they are priced closed to each other.
Now updated Harrier 2.0 suddenly got a power bump and quite a number of gadgets, new top end taking it ahead of other two. But psychologically it still feels that they are supposed to be of same category. Hence everyone still comparing it with Seltos, and I don't think we can blame them for that. In automatic option, top two variants are 2.xx - 3.xx lakhs more than that of Seltos top end in cities like Bangalore.
So even though one try to justify that Harrier 2.0 now more powerful and bigger in size with more features, in reality people go to market to buy a car based on budget (more precisely based on the max emi one can afford), seldom with a exact model in mind (say Compass or in this case Harrier 2.0); making Harrier virtually overpriced for masses planing to by a car around 20 lakhs bracket.
And ironically, keeping looks and on-paper specification aside, Kia Seltos GTX+ looks more VFM after Harrier 2.0 launch.
dipdawiz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 12:40   #130
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
Waiting for Gto to get his hands on the new one and tell us what's it like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Can we expect a review of the BS6 Harrier from tbhp to check if the product is now sorted and be a good purchase?
Yep, request placed earlier this week for the Harrier AT. We are also waiting for the Altroz & Nexon EV in Bombay.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 12:46   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yep, request placed earlier this week for the Harrier AT. We are also waiting for the Altroz & Nexon EV in Bombay.
Awesome, looking forward to it.
A lot of members' buying decision (mine included) will rely heavily on team-bhp's review!
Shreyas_H is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 13:03   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbospool83 View Post
Hopefully, discounts will start coming to year-end and that will be at a good time to buy one.
I have never understood this Tata philosophy of pricing something at a level where it wont give them the sales they need and then discount it. A mouth watering price at launch gets more people to the showroom in the first place and will help them meet their targets. Discounts might give a negative image that the said vehicle is not selling well.
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 14:23   #133
BHPian

@GTO - Thanks for the update that request has been put in for Harrier AT. Appreciate that detailed review will take time, however any early inputs will definitely help for potential buyers like me.

As for the pricing, I expected to be on higher side for the AT box so had already anticipated north of 23 Lacs for all the bells & whistles. After seeing the car in person and understanding the performance post test drive/TBHP review, it will be clear if spending 23+ lacs is VFM and whether I need to look for some other alternatives!
Old 7th February 2020, 14:50   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbospool83 View Post
I am not excited about this pricing, considering that the On road price of the current top model XZA + and XZA + DT is about 25+ lakhs depending on the state.
I wouldn't call it way overpriced but definitely not disruptive pricing either.
Its not the pricing that's the issue here as much as it is the uneven distribution of features across variants. The XE/XM both feel like base variants while the XT feels like the proper middle variant. The XM manual is now 19+ lakhs OTR and comes with regular bulbs in DRL/turn signal, steel wheels with cover amongst other visible cost cutting decisions.

The XZ though just Rs 3 lakhs more offers way too many features for the price forcing people to consider stretching budget for the top end. Tata should have trickled a few features onto the lower variants so they don't look like stripped down taxi variant.

The Seltos base variant vs the HTK vs the GTX is a good example of feature distribution. With so many variants on offer a lot of people have a lot of options across many budgets which I think is helping them report 15000 units a month in sales.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 15:15   #135
BHPian

Harrier BS6 is now equipped with DPF and DEF(Diesel Exhaust Fluid- Urea).
- To regenerate DPF, Harrier needs to be run at 60km/h in 3rd gear for like 20 mins(any high rpm and high speed for 20 mins). People going for automatics will need to do that too, maybe every 15-20 days depending on usage.
- DEF tank is of 15 litres. So DEF will be finished when approx 750 litres of diesel has been consumed (approx 2% of diesel is used), so almost at 7,500km(FE of 10 kmpl) or every service interval of harrier(which is 7500 km)
From amazon US, I see that DEF could be around rupees 170 per litre. So effectively at every service of Harrier at 7,500 km; 2500 rs(15 litre) needed for DEF top-up.

Can someone let me know what is the approx cost of DEF per litre in India. Amazon India showed more than Rs 1,000 per litres !!!

- Wherever BS6 diesel might not be available, people need to be very careful before buying diesel as Harrier manual clearly says Sulphur shouldn't be more than 10 ppm in diesel. BS4 diesel has around 50 ppm of Sulphur.

Snips from harrier BS6 manual attached:
Attached Thumbnails
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-har1.jpg  

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-har2.jpg  

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-har3.jpg  

Last edited by SahilS : 7th February 2020 at 15:16.
SahilS is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed