Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 10:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Sorry for a noob question, do they have a 4*4 variant in Automatic as well? Or any plans?
No they do not, neither for manual not AT. and as far as I am aware there are no plans for the same either. I have access to an internal training FAQ from TML for its sales channel (which unfortunately I cannot post here), where this question is specifically addressed. Apparently, adding AWD or 4x4 will require extensive re-engineering of the platform, and TML doesn't have that planned anytime in the immediate future.
himanshugoswami is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 10:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
It felt more like an "Internet Inside" badge of MG Motors.
Cheesy!
Undoubtedly, but it serves a purpose.
Also have a look at the pic below, it is not very visible or distracting.
I wonder if people would notice anything beyond ‘omega’.
I got one for free and stuck it on the metal part.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-fa3ff59f59d4422798251f4cd861ede3.jpeg  

Last edited by HsekarK : 4th February 2020 at 10:40. Reason: comma after Undoubtedly.
HsekarK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 10:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Looks great in the new Red color. Hope Tata will continue the VFM pricing for Automatic Variants.
Now, look at this pic- "Land Rover Pedigree" written neat foot well - Was it really required Tata? A well engineered and capable car would showcase its pedigree by itself, no decals, stickers or accessories required for that.
It felt more like an "Internet Inside" badge of MG Motors.
Where some ignorant people don't perceive Tata as a premium and capable car brand this is a much needed move.
Storm2.0 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 10:41   #34
BHPian

Really wonderful to see our own TATA responding to consumer needs and this should be learnt by others as well especially Maruti Suzuki, FCA, VW etc.

Coming back to the product, I will discount the reliability and performance of the Automatic transmission for now. It needs to be seen and with TATA's history, it will be better to wait for 3rd or 4th batch at least.

However what remain should be "THE BEST CSUV under 25 lacs on Indian Road" . Period. No doubt about it. After having the bhp raise to 170, adding panoramic sunroof, gorgeous new 18 inch alloys and mouth watering red colour , it's a no competition for all remaining. Harrier in original self was itself a well-rounded, safe and awesome vehicle. These additions make it real drool worthy. This is going to be a wet dream for many.

Just hope the niggles, and the driving dynamics are now sorted as well.

The question is - will it sell like hot cakes? Answer is - No. This is my feeling. Indians will never invest 25 lacs (estimated price on road for top model) on a TATA product so easily. 20 lacs and around was a sweet spot. TATA will have to go Nexa way if they intend to sell it in droves. Nobody will feel nice after paying 25 lacs to TATA once they walk in their showroom. The experience there is utterly cheap. Not to mention their service stations which is always filled with Cabs and older Indica's and does no suits to a premium car buyer. (totally my experience). TATA will have to create something for itself which is not piggybacked with TATA's history. It is difficult. It does not have a JEEP brand's desirability or icon-ship, KIA's exuberance or MG's showroom experience. I am not even talking the Germans here. So, instead of having a decal showing Land rover pedigree, can it sell the Harrier as an entry level Land Rover? Worth a thought.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th February 2020 at 12:48. Reason: Typo corrected
Roadster17 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 10:44   #35
BHPian

I had registered online on the harrier website and got call from the center today morning. The executive informed me that the vehicle is available for test drive and she will co-ordinate with the nearest dealer to arrange one.

She also mentioned that the BS6 harrier launch is planned for tomorrow and Gravitas will be launched sometime in Feb (Date TBD).

Now the Dilemma is between Harrier AT vs Gravitas AT vs anything else which might come up during Auto Expo!
Old 4th February 2020, 10:51   #36
BHPian

Tata seems to have really raised the bar with the new Harrier. I have seen so many SUVs on the road but the Harrier always catches my eye. A really pleasing design.

Not sure the badge on the sill plate of the car would be noticed by anyone. I only noticed the Ohm until the words were pointed out.

Hope the new launch will give the Harrier some decent numbers as it is now very competitively featured.

However I wonder what the existing owners would feel now that the Harrier has a more powerful engine and a lot more features.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 11:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Im also in the market for a Harrier, but here's the catch. In NCR, diesel vehicles are losing their attractiveness. Now, by all estimates a Harrier will be priced around 22-23L OTR in NCR (hope TML pleasantly surprises us here).

But here's the kicker. A similarly specced Tucson Petrol AT is priced at under 25L OTR in NCR. as on date the Tucson get a lakh as a discount. Plus its a petrol, which is a positive in NCR.

So IMHO TML has to be really aggressive with its pricing strategy for the Harrier AT . I doubt they can launch the XZA at 19L Ex showroom, but if they do, then its game on
himanshugoswami is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 11:04   #38
BHPian

The car may look tasty and very desirable, with all the needed additions. But I am assuming just a rough calculation for the top end model will be:
17.8L (CY'19 ex-showroom)+1L (BS6)+ 1L(Auto) +1.2L (Pano roof+Powered Seat+IRVM+ DT Alloys)= 22L ex-sh = 24.5-26L on road, for a 5 seater Harrier, which would not remain niggle-free.

One will have to be a real Fan Boy of TATA and Harrier, to part with that kind of money at that price.

For anyone here looking to point a finger, please look at my signature and you would know I am a TATA fan boy and a true believer in VFM offerings (which for me can tide over some trouble for the niggles, etc.). But, a pricier alternative to others in the segment just to go after the LR pedigree and a bigger car which still just seats 5, IMO will simply not sell!
AGwagon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 11:25   #39
BHPian

The car is desirable and one of the more adroit vehicles around in the price range. Though irrelevant to the context here, we have bought one after test driving the Tiguan and the Xuv5OO. The touted competitor with the 'Internet' badge is very poor in terms of bobbling on undulating roads and though very fancy and a crowd favorite, does not inspire confidence on the highway.

Harrier rides relatively competently on both undulating and broken roads. Compass, though the most sorted dynamically finished product here, just does not have the space and presence on the road (younger brother owns one).

Niggles remain with many vehicles. The greater the complexity, the greater the chances of failures. In our family only the Ciaz is free from any anxiety but it is a commuter car and was bought for that very purpose.

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th February 2020 at 18:53. Reason: as requested
HsekarK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 11:36   #40
BHPian

All the official Tata guys who are hiding in this forum, please identify yourself
We would like to congratulate you for your efforts.

Tata has done a great job and listened to the customer feedback. Whenever I see a Harrier on the road, my respect for other cars made by Tata increases exponentially.
Harrier is to Tata similar to what XUV500 was for Mahindra. It changed perception significantly for the respective manufacturers.

Current Tata cars are so wonderful and brilliantly engineered that they will sell for themselves once parked in the showroom. Now, Tata just has to concentrate similarly on the buying experience and after sales services which I feel isn't difficult to address given the fact that they have limited showrooms and service centres currently with them.

In which all vehicles is this Hyundai derived gearbox is used? Is Tata the first one to pair it with Fiat 2 litre engine? Any info on reliability of the same?
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 12:06   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel they should have launched an XTA and not an XMA. Assuming they continue the same feature differentiation as today, the XMA will miss the following as compared to a (hypothetical) XTA:
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Wood panel look dashboard (I think this is well executed and gives a major uplift to Cabin Ambiance)
  • 2 speakers less (6 speakers instead of 8 in XT/XZ)
  • Reverse Parking Camera
  • Android Auto & Apple Car Play
  • Dual Function LED DRLs with Turn Indicators
  • Rain Sensing Wipers
  • Auto Headlamps
  • Cruise Control
  • Electrically Foldable Outer Mirrors
  • Rear Armrest with Cup Holders
  • 8 Way Adjustable Driver Seat

These are all too good and important features to sacrifice. Assuming a 2L price premium over equivalent manual BS IV versions for the Automatic BS VI versions, an XMA would be 16.7 lakhs ex-showroom (Around 20.5 Lakhs on-road) and XZA would be 19.2 lakhs ex-showroom (Around 23 lakhs on-road).

Can't imagine buying a 20 lakh SUV in this day and age with only steel wheels, no rear armrest, only halogen headlamps, no LED DRLs, no Android Auto/Apple Car Play and no reversing Camera (on such as large SUV!). A 7 lakh rupee Renault Triber has all of these.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th February 2020 at 12:13.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 12:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post

Coming back to the product,I will discount the reliability and performance of the Automatic transmission for now. It needs to be seen and with TATA's history , it will be better to wait for 3rd or 4th batch at least.

Not to mention their service stations which is always filled with Cabs and older Indica's and does no suits to a premium car buyer.( Totally my experience). TATA will have to create something for itself which is not piggybacked with TATA's history. It is difficult.
Gearbox is from Hyundai and it is not new, having been used in Tucson/Santa Fe.

Indica cabs? Do you still have Indica cabs in your town? They're all gone by 2015. It's 2020 now. Cabs of today are Dzires, Innovas, Etios's, Amazes, Excents and i10s. But I bet no one has any issue with these, right?
pgsagar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 12:37   #43
BHPian

Tata is working really hard and it shows. How about topping it up with a full 5 star GNCAP rating. Sweet!

Last edited by nasa_hubble : 4th February 2020 at 12:38.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
But here's the kicker. A similarly specced Tucson Petrol AT is priced at under 25L OTR in NCR. as on date the Tucson get a lakh as a discount. Plus its a petrol, which is a positive in NCR.
Sorry for going OT.

Had the chance to rent a petrol Tucson in the UK in Aug 2019, and even managed to cover 3000 miles on it over 3 weeks. Trust me that engine is a huge dud for that car. I'd pick a torquey diesel over that any day of the week.

Unless you're really planning on holding on to the car for 10+ years, you can safely pick the Harrier AT.
Turrrb0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 13:06   #45
BHPian

Received this via mail the other day. Sums up all the changes pretty well
Leaflet.pdf

Harrier 2020_Bookings_Open.pdf

Regards,
Powertrain
powertrain is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed