Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 13:12   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Looks great in the new Red color. Hope Tata will continue the VFM pricing for Automatic Variants.
Now, look at this pic- "Land Rover Pedigree" written neat foot well - Was it really required Tata? A well engineered and capable car would showcase its pedigree by itself, no decals, stickers or accessories required for that.
It felt more like an "Internet Inside" badge of MG Motors.
Funny you would notice this and not talk about the major updates car has received, seems like no matter what Tata does, it's never enough. If they use the resources in hand, then they are called out for overdoing it, if they don't then the other way around.

It's just a foot sill, hidden away from any one seeing the car from outside, if anything it is just to give the owner of the car a sense of pride. If i really wanted to flaunt it, i would put it on the back of the car, clearly visible. I am sure many owners will get that done eventually, i know i would, if i buy this car.
AtheK is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 13:39   #47
BHPian

From the leaflet shared in the last page:
  • The 170 bhp engine is now common across all the variants in manual as well as in automatic transmission. Old engine is no more in the offering. Torque figures are same as earlier i.e. 350 Nm @1750-2500 rpms.
  • For all the notable additional features such as the Panoramic Sunroof, electrically adjustable driver seat, auto-dimming IRVM, two tone diamond cut alloy wheels, there has been introduced an additional variant i.e. the XZ+/XZA+. So the feature list remains more or less the same as the Harrier 1.0 till XZ variant. The new shaped ORVMs and ESP being common across all the variants being the only notable change.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Leaflet.pdf (496.2 KB, 522 views)

Last edited by Sherlocked : 4th February 2020 at 14:00.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 13:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Should have terrific appeal and wish it succeeds in this iteration. Harrier is probably the best looking and butch SUV in the market today, this update must bring it on par with the best available in the market. Whenever I see one on the road, I'm in awe; it just exudes 'presence'! This update frankly is very tempting indeed! I think the very first owners would feel shortchanged for such a sumptuous update; though they would have paid substantially less, but this update is very generous indeed and should have been the car at launch!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 4th February 2020 at 13:50.
Durango Dude is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 14:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Funny you would notice this and not talk about the major updates car has received, seems like no matter what Tata does, it's never enough. If they use the resources in hand, then they are called out for overdoing it, if they don't then the other way around.

It's just a foot sill, hidden away from any one seeing the car from outside, if anything it is just to give the owner of the car a sense of pride. If i really wanted to flaunt it, i would put it on the back of the car, clearly visible. I am sure many owners will get that done eventually, i know i would, if i buy this car.
No where I was not appreciative about the updates made to Harrier, which was already discussed by others in this thread. I am proud that home grown Tata makes some of the safest cars on Indian Roads. "seems like no matter what Tata does, it's never enough " - Not applicable for me buddy!

There something called understated beauty and elegance (like VW Designs), that you don't have to be loud or Vocal on what you have. Making it explicit actually ruins the beauty- that all I wanted to say
Superleggera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 14:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Gearbox is from Hyundai and it is not new, having been used in Tucson/Santa Fe.
Thanks for the update. My question now would be around how this transmission mates with the engine. Is there any such example as well where Hyundai AT gearbox is working together with FCA 2.0 liter engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Indica cabs? Do you still have Indica cabs in your town? They're all gone by 2015. It's 2020 now. Cabs of today are Dzires, Innovas, Etios's, Amazes, Excents and i10s. But I bet no one has any issue with these, right?
Yes sir, there are Indica and Indigo cabs running in my city. All taxi operators use them here ( although numbers are decreasing ). Meru Cabs has lots of Manza as well. Mind you, my point of reference was 25 lacs on road car and buyer's mindset in this price range.

Will you like to buy a Gucci bag from Big Bazaar..Just give it a thought.
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 14:47   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

One peculiar thing that TATA, Honda and Maruti do is to give a sub-optimally small fuel tank. This massive SUV has just a 50 litre fuel tank!
In contrast, my Ecosport has a 52 litre tank. The Jeep Compass has a 60 L fuel tank and so does the MG Hector.

Such a massive SUV as the Harrier with a powerful engine will mean an average fuel economy of about 9-10 kmpl and a visit to the fuel pump every 400-450 kilometers. Can be really irritating on long highway drives. This car deserves at least a 65 litre fuel tank. The problem is even more exacerbated in the Auto version with a lower fuel efficiency.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th February 2020 at 14:51.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 14:51   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

After President Reagan imposed a protectionist 100,000 Japanese cars per year sales limit in the US, the Japanese brands decided to go with the higher margin route by creating new luxury brands - Acura (Honda's), Infiniti (Nissan's) & Lexus (Toyota's). Instead of choosing a brand extension for these re-badged luxury cars, the Japanese just knew that their respective mothership brands have a "cheap" connotation and just wouldn't sell under the original Toyota/Honda/Nissan badge (which is exactly what Tata Motors is trying to achieve here). Decades later, these luxury brands of the Japanese OEMs are still doing great in the US with re-badged and souped up luxury cars which sell for very high prices.

Suzuki have already ditched brand extension (they tried it unsuccessfully with the Kizashi) and have created a luxury brand called Nexa in India.

Why can't Tata Motors do the same? They couldn't sell a 18 lakh Aria or the 20 lakh Hexa; why would the 25 lakh Harrier wind up any differently?

An entirely new, cooked-up brand name with separate showrooms and service centers will be just what the Doctor ordered for Tata's new range of superb products. You have new brands who sue their customers and replace their burnt cars - and customers just love these new brands. There would be no baggage of legacy brand connotations to lug around....and voila, a successful new brand is born!
locusjag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 15:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Suzuki have already ditched brand extension (they tried it unsuccessfully with the Kizashi) and have created a luxury brand called Nexa in India.
Maruti sells (most of the time). I will not put 'Nexa' and 'luxury' in the same line ( except this one). There is no product in Nexa showroom which you can relate to luxury. Sales guys in Nexa showrooms are dressed in a suit, that is it.

Latest Tiago-Tigor-Altroz-Nexon-Harrier-Hexa range looks much better than Nexa cars. Tata is paying the price for their past mistakes. They spoiled their image themselves.

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th February 2020 at 15:21.
Latheesh is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 15:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

So all the features added are only on the top trim only? XZ+? I can understand sunroof being exclusive but the new alloys too?

The XM will retain regular bulbs in DRL/turn signal and continue feeling barebone?
Old 4th February 2020, 15:35   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Maruti sells (most of the time). I will not put 'Nexa' and 'luxury' in the same line ( except this one). There is no product in Nexa showroom which you can relate to luxury. Sales guys in Nexa showrooms are dressed in a suit, that is it.
That is something for Suzuki to ponder upon; when they didn't have the umbrella of a new brand, they launched the costly Kizashi. Now that they have a new brand in place, they actually don't have a proper luxury product!

Quote:
Tata is paying the price for their past mistakes. They spoiled their image themselves.
And this is exactly why they need a new brand.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th February 2020 at 15:45. Reason: Typo.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 15:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

I cant find a single reason to NOT buy the Harrier if I have the money and the willingness to buy a new car!

I wish this car succeeds and succeeds a lot so that I get this sooner in the used car market 3 years down the line
2000rpm is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 15:50   #57
Team-BHP Support

Given Tata's JLR ownership, they could very well create a Rover-inspired sub-brand for their SUV/MUV offerings, if they put some thought into it. When you own the brand-name and have access to its proven pedigree, why not put it to use?

Their regular passenger car brand carries past baggage, which won't disappear overnight. In an ideal world, every product will start with a clean slate and sink/swim on its own merits. We don't live in an ideal world, and memories and biases, whether based in perception or reality (or both), are hard to shake.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 18:20   #58
BHPian

Seriously it's a bit too late to the party.They took a year to come out with the 6AT and here MG and Kia are taking all the sales.Hope they have also ironed out all the issues mentioned on the forum here too..
Old 4th February 2020, 18:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Why can't Tata Motors do the same? They couldn't sell a 18 lakh Aria or the 20 lakh Hexa; why would the 25 lakh Harrier wind up any differently?
Launching a sub brand, for sure sounds enticing. But sadly its not just a mere "change the logo/ decal job". It involves massive financial outgo to launch a new brand/ sub brand.

That will make it totally unviable to sell the product at the targeted price point of 20 to 25 Lacs.

If the cost of branding exercise pushes it to the next segment (30L+), would we really buy the product knowing that its a TATA underneath. And all that just for a new logo?

TATA is perfectly justified for maintaining the status quo on branding.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 4th February 2020 at 19:12.
Warwithwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 19:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Seriously it's a bit too late to the party.They took a year to come out with the 6AT and here MG and Kia are taking all the sales.
While Kia certainly got all their cards right, lets not forget that the MG Hector only offers automatic transmission on the Petrol variant. Historically a fuel guzzling petrol automatic has had a rapid fall after the initial hoopla. Plus, for the majority of the market, an SUV (ready heavy SUV) = Diesel.

We must give it to Tata, for getting it right, albeit in their second attempt. They should have gotten in right in the first place, but better late than never. In this iteration, the Harrier almost has addressed all the wish-list items folks had hoped for on the Official Harrier review thread. Let's be happy to see Tata at least take cognizance to the customer's voice and respond so quickly, with a rather significant upgrade.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed