Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 19:32   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Launching a sub brand,....involves massive financial outgo to launch a new brand/ sub brand.
Of course it involves a massive financial outlay.

Quote:
That will make it totally unviable to sell the product at the targeted price point of 20 to 25 Lacs.
They can take a call on whether these one-time overhead costs should be passed on to the customer or not; if they treat it as an investment, it would do them a world of good. Once this is done, they'll find it way easier to sell costly, higher margin cars.

Quote:
If the cost of branding exercise pushes it to the next segment (30L+), would we really buy the product knowing that its a TATA underneath. And all that just for a new logo?
Even the much vaunted American customers fell for the new logo ploy with Acura/Infiniti/Lexus. All you need to do is set the ambience and show them the same wine in a new bottle (maybe with a bit more add-ons to the wine itself), and this can sell. History shows us how. Marketing logic tells us why (brand perception, non-viability of brand extensions etc.).
locusjag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 19:48   #62
BHPian

Superb !

I thought the orange and the black were absolutely stunning and now here is a red that blows my breadth away!.

An Automatic with a sunroof and some bling added makes this the ultimate 5 seater SUV in India. As someone has mentioned in an earlier post, can't find a single reason to reject this version of the Harrier and all the best to Tata .

The Creta and the Seltos should be compared with each other, not with the Harrier. How can we compare this giant with those two mice?

Heck not even the Compass can be compared with the Harrier as it loses out big time on the most important aspect of a car-space.

And for the odd bad experience that I read anywhere about a Tata car or its services, I also read 10 good ones.

Planning to test drive it soon.
Nalin1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 20:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
They can take a call on whether these one-time overhead costs should be passed on to the customer or not; if they treat it as an investment, it would do them a world of good. Once this is done, they'll find it way easier to sell costly, higher margin cars.
On paper, that should do the trick. But then, so will the strategy of complete revamping their product lineup to be of higher quality and desirability and improving their after sales service. But the reality is much more complex. Basically, there's no guarantee that either will work but their current approach is of real substance since it is trying to address their current issues. There's no point in selling Land Rovers with the same sales advisors.

People are not stupid not to realise that the new brand xyz is from Tata. Look what happened to Maruti Suzuki - the cars from both brands are pretty much same and the whole world knows that.
prakash_ajp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 21:31   #64
BHPian

The countdown begins..via Instagram Handle of Harrier
Attached Thumbnails
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-screenshot_20200204212145_instagram.jpg  

uday.ere is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 22:10   #65
BHPian

When I first saw a Harrier on the road, it took my breath away. Never has a Tata car been able to do so before. I still turn around to stare at any Harrier that I rarely happen to pass by, especially in that delicious orange.

The biggest reasons that I dejectedly kept it off my next car shortlist were the lack of an automatic and sunroof.

Now that it comes with an automatic, sunroof, cruise control and auto dimming IRVM, there really is no good reason to not buy it.

Unfortunately I doubt it's sales will go up that much. Rarely has any car in India picked up pace after stumbling initially.
evil_grin is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 23:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
When I first saw a Harrier on the road, it took my breath away. Never has a Tata car been able to do so before. I still turn around to stare at any Harrier that I rarely happen to pass by, especially in that delicious orange.

The biggest reasons that I dejectedly kept it off my next car shortlist were the lack of an automatic and sunroof.

Now that it comes with an automatic, sunroof, cruise control and auto dimming IRVM, there really is no good reason to not buy it.

Unfortunately I doubt it's sales will go up that much. Rarely has any car in India picked up pace after stumbling initially.
Ref your text in bold. I fully agree. It's got everything going for it. Now, some will complain that it's pricey despite being a Tata, completely ignoring what it brings to the table. Guess, there is no pleasing Tata-bashers. I hope they see success with this model which they so rightly deserve. I am all for promoting Indian brands, all things being equal.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 23:28   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
One peculiar thing that TATA, Honda and Maruti do is to give a sub-optimally small fuel tank. This massive SUV has just a 50 litre fuel tank!
In contrast, my Ecosport has a 52 litre tank. The Jeep Compass has a 60 L fuel tank and so does the MG Hector.

Such a massive SUV as the Harrier with a powerful engine will mean an average fuel economy of about 9-10 kmpl and a visit to the fuel pump every 400-450 kilometers. Can be really irritating on long highway drives. This car deserves at least a 65 litre fuel tank. The problem is even more exacerbated in the Auto version with a lower fuel efficiency.
By what metric is a refuelling interval of 450 kms irritating? The vehicle occupants will tire out much faster on long highway drives, before the vehicle runs out of fuel.

India is not the core market for the other 3 models mentioned. US & China are predominantly (almost exclusively) gasoline markets. With a 15~20% poorer fuel economy, a gasoline vehicle must carry that much bigger fuel tank for similar to diesel range. This is why you see larger fuel tanks in those vehicles. Also, since fuel tanks are investment heavy and homologation critical parts, tank design is carried over even if engine/fuel preference changes from market to market.
aditya79india is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 00:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
By what metric is a refuelling interval of 450 kms irritating? The vehicle occupants will tire out much faster on long highway drives, before the vehicle runs out of fuel.
Trust me Sir, it is. I and most people I know have a habit of refueling when the tank's at 30% while on long road trips. It becomes very very (and very one more time) irritating to stop for refueling every 300 KMs on days when you plan to cover 700 KMs or so. My Honda City goes ~520ish full-to-empty tank on highways and I can't even do a Hyderabad-Bangalore before taking a refueling break

A highway cruiser like this should have a fuel range of at least 700 KMs. And no, I am not comparing what other cars have. I am just stating what I expect from a fast highway cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
As someone has mentioned in an earlier post, can't find a single reason to reject this version of the Harrier and all the best to Tata .
I still can't deal with that eyesore of a handbrake

Last edited by bordeaux : 5th February 2020 at 00:37.
bordeaux is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 00:45   #69
BHPian

Off topic (slightly), I don't understand the Kia bashing. No, not everyone got a Seltos because of the "bells and whistles". It is also a very very sorted car, it looks good, it's interiors are plush, it's handling is superb and yes I do wish they had launched it with at least a 130-140 bhp engine but given how torquey it is l, I haven't really felt it as being underpowered. On top of this their sales experience is brilliant.

I definitely wish Tata well but before I picked up the Seltos I test drove the Harrier (twice) and the Hector and the sales experience with TAMO left a lot to be desired. Even the cars I drove (2 different ones from different dealers) had such a pathetic clutch that I felt I would develop Arnold Schwarzenegger level thighs from pressing it, the handling I felt was a bit off and the car was definitely underpowered.

You can't blame a customer for rejecting this car over the Seltos that then offered much better vfm. Yes, maybe if I TD'd a Harrier now, I might feel differently but then it is on TAMO for launching a half baked beta product.
Stribog is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 06:18   #70
Senior - BHPian

While most of us agree that Tata should have launched a much more sorted Harrier with AT and Sun roof etc, you have to give it to Tata for reacting very quickly and having a 2.0 version within a year. Its always had the looks, now the AT as well, so whats left is to see if the smaller niggles have been sorted out. And with the engine update, hopefully Tata has sorted out the NVH levels as well, since there was a lot of feedback that the engine in the Harrier seemed much more noisier than the Hector and the Compass.

What Tata should also do is to review the variants and feature list once again. The base variant at some 16-17 lakhs on road just doesnt have anything! Feels like a variant made for fleet operators! Just like what Jeep did with Compass by introducing a Sport Plus variant, Tata should make the entry level variant a bit more attractive by offering some basics.

Whether Tata or any of us like it or not, the Harrier is bound to be compared with the Seltos, Hector and to make it worse, the new Creta in 2020. So the Harrier has to remain competitive in this regard, I do not think the logic of the Harrier being superior to any of these cars holds true from a consumer perspective, especially given that the Harrier has had a very rocky start to sales.
motorworks is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 06:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

These kinds of cars are tougher to sell with customers being more demanding, than say, a Tiago. Probable customers need to be invited in with a (chocolate) offering, some small talk, taken to a lounge, sat down and then take things forward. I hope they do things differently, this time around as the car is the best looker we have on the streets at the moment.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th February 2020 at 10:03. Reason: avoid sexist comments
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 07:22   #72
BHPian

One year after its launch, I still look at it in awe when I see a Harrier on the road. Time and time again, I've mistaken the Seltos for a Brezza when I spot one in front of me, albeit at a little distance away. We went to test drive Seltos and my wife banged her head trying to get in the driver's seat and since that happened, she points out where it happened whenever we see a Seltos on the road effectively ruling it out. If I had the money, I would book the Harrier right now.

Note from Support: There were several spelling and typo errors in your post. Please proof-read posts before submitting.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th February 2020 at 07:47. Reason: Typos.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2020, 09:36   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

The refresh with "feature correction" and automatic variants really makes it a really great package. Lets see if those who were hating it for not having an automatic, actually go and book it.

In case the sales don't really increase significantly, we might have to say TML was right in thinking there won't be much of a need for an automatic Harrier!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
One year after its launch, I still look at it in awe when I see a Harrier on the road. Time and time again, I've mistaken the Seltos for a Brezza when I spot one in front of me, albeit at a little distance away. We went to test drive Seltos and my wife banged her head trying to get in the driver's seat and since that happened, she points out where it happened whenever we see a Seltos on the road effectively ruling it out. If I had the money, I would book the Harrier right now.
I must say that is an overt / silent sentiment in the minds of many out there. Me included. We are actually seeing the "Aspiration Value" of the Safari finally being carried on by another Tata car. The Harrier sure has it since launch on the basis of its remarkable looks.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 09:41   #74
BHPian

Tata motors have unveiled the prices of the automatic variants of Harrier. This is a screenshot from their Instagram page. Automatic variant price starts at Rs 16.25 Lakhs.
Attached Thumbnails
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200205_093941.jpg  

HappyRoadie is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 09:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

The BS6 Tata Harrier starts from 13.69L INR for Manual and 16.25 L INR for Automatic.

Pic courtesy, ACI twitter handle

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200205_094148.jpg

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks