Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 10:14   #76
BHPian

re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Spot on Pricing by Tata. Really this time tata has hit the ball out of the park.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 10:15   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
The BS6 Tata Harrier starts from 13.69L INR for Manual and 16.25 L INR for Automatic.

Pic courtesy, ACI twitter handle

Attachment 1964918

--Anoop
Definitely looks a bit over-priced. I was hoping they would have launch pricing in the order of 15 lakhs for XMA and 17 lakhs for the XZA. That would have brought the XZA on -road to around 20 lakhs making it a strong value proposition vis-a-vis the Compass etc. Now the XZA at around 22.5 lakhs would be out of reach of the buyer segment who are limited strictly to a 20 lakh on-road price point. XMA is too bare bones for anyone to even think of spending 20 lakhs on the car.

Hopefully discounts will start coming in around year-end and that might be a good time to pick it up.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 5th February 2020 at 10:25.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 10:28   #78
VVP

Late entrant from Tata, as always, they start the party and by the time they come up with the satisfactory options for the market, others usually must have taken the market. I was surprised to see the MG numbers, even though initial splurge. I could understand the kia numbers as they have the Hyundai connection and the seltos is a great option for people looking at the creta class. I seriously feel Tata is too late and people are yet to warm upto the brand apart from the "love" we have towards Tata (i am a self confessed Tata fan with no Tata cars at my home). Sad to see such a product being mistreated from the manufacturer. I won't blame the customers chocking MG and KIA showrooms as it's the manufacturer's job to bring them to their products.
VVP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 10:39   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Definitely looks a bit over-priced. I was hoping they would have launch pricing in the order of 15 lakhs for XMA and 17 lakhs for the XZA. That would have brought the XZA on -road to around 20 lakhs making it a strong value proposition vis-a-vis the Compass etc.
Humbly disagree.

Looks like an excellent value proposition to my eyes. Compass Top-end is 32L on-road here in Bangalore and looks like Harrier XZA+ DT will come around 23L.

And now Harrier has all the features from the Compass too, except 4*4.

How isn't that value for money?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th February 2020 at 10:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pricing for the xza. If it drives well I’m game.
Old 5th February 2020, 11:11   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Definitely looks a bit over-priced.
I'll disagree. For comparison sake, if we look at just XZ variant, its price increased from 17.3L to 17.5L despite the addition of BS6 compatible diesel and +30 bhp.

So, effectively, TATA has increased (referring XZ)
- 20k for BS6 and 30 bhp jump in power
- 1.25L for Z+ over Z i.e panoramic roof, power seats, auto irvm, DT alloys
- ~1.2L for automatic gear box

Although, Z+ and automatic price increment might look more, but for versions which were already there like XZ, price increment seems well controlled

Finally I'll say
Harrier XZ at time of launch(single tone): 16.76L
BS6 Harrier XZ with +30 bhp in 2020 : 17.50L

This looks a perfect price increase.

Last edited by SahilS : 5th February 2020 at 11:18.
SahilS is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:15   #82
BHPian

Not overpriced for me either. Not sure about Compass prices but in that case Harrier is much better car anyway in looks, it will also be cheaper than Tucson/Tiguain which are more of its direct competition.
AnandB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:32   #83
BHPian

This product is class apart, Tata was always shy to offer sunroof but this AT + panoramic sunroof itself is a reason for me to buy this product if I was in market to buy a 5 seater SUV. It's late but at least what they have on offer now is a great product.
Old 5th February 2020, 11:44   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
I'll disagree. For comparison sake, if we look at just XZ variant, its price increased from 17.3L to 17.5L despite the addition of BS6 compatible diesel and +30 bhp.
This looks like a perfect price increase.
Tata has played it really smart here. If you want the real picture then compare the prices with that of December 2019. Tata Motors has increased the prices in parts. There was an increase of 40-45k in January 2020. So, in reality, we'll be paying 70k extra for the bs6 version.

Isn't it quite strange from tata motors that they have decided not to include any IRA / Connected car features with the harrier 2020 update but include it in Nexon which is in fact a 2 segment lower car.
sunilsoft is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:44   #85
BHPian

I feel XZA plus DT at 25.5 lakhs on road Bengaluru is overpriced. XZA DT at 23.7 Lakhs on road Bengaluru would be the value for money automatic variant.

Zigwheels were reporting18inch wheels for the Harrier at Auto Expo, not sure if Tata motors would provide them as an option.

Last edited by carenthusiast : 5th February 2020 at 11:56.
carenthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:48   #86
BHPian

Smashing pricing... I am seriously considering Harrier to replace my Old Honda City.
vikramv1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:48   #87
BHPian

Top end diesel auto at 20L with 10 year operational life translates to very poor resale after 4-5 years which is typical for a company car lease buyer. I do hope they announce a buyback scheme a la MG, else this is DoA again
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:55   #88
BHPian

With this pricing, Hector is going to be in trouble for sure.
- BS4 Hector diesel Sharp worth 17.28L diesel vs BS6 XZ+ Harrier of 17.5L. I personally see no reason why anyone with would go for Hector Diesel now. Harrier has much more to offer. Will be interesting to see price increase by Hector for BS6 diesel over BS4
- Now harrier is having Automatic too and Hector has no diesel automatic in near future.

Harrier can pick now Seltos/Creta diesel top-end customers too
- Seltos provides no top-end diesel manual, customers wanting top-end diesel Seltos have to opt for automatic. They can go to Harrier now (Seltos top diesel auto is 17.3L and XZ harrier(non-auto) is 17.5 L)
- Harrier XZA is just 1.5L costlier than Seltos top auto diesel. Although Seltos will be having more fancy features like 360 camera, ventilated seats, HUD etc but Harrier XZ is having more security related features and for sure, Harrier is a segment above Seltos for sure.

Last edited by SahilS : 5th February 2020 at 12:01.
SahilS is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:05   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Humbly disagree.

on-road here in Bangalore and looks like Harrier XZA+ DT will come around 23L.
20.15L ex-showroom easily translates to ~25.25L OTR in Bangalore. Road tax is about 19% and add to it insurance and incidentals. At best by going for insurance outside, transferring existing NCB and by waiving off handling charges it comes around 24.5L on the road.

I will not comment as to whether or not it's expensive but here are two things that came to my mind.
  1. Assuming these are introductory prices, couple of months down the line where will the Harrier stand?
  2. Where will the Gravitas be positioned now and how will Tata justify the premium over their current offering in the 7 seat space - Hexa?
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:06   #90
BHPian

I really think this is a great pricing for Harrier. It is a striking looking car and with this pricing it has become the most VFM SUV in its segment. Compass is overpriced for what it offers. Agreed, it is a more premium brand with higher snob value, but on value terms, it does not stands in front of TATA now. If I was in the market today ( bought compass last year only ) and I was looking for :
- Stylish SUV
- Humongous road presence
- Punchy diesel automatic
Harrier would be there in my garage instead.

But will it sell and make a turnaround for TATA. I seriously doubt. They are late to the party. The number of buyers exponentially decrease with the increase in price. It is not linear. So, the number of buyers willing to pay more than 20 lacs in India is not in huge numbers. Seltos is gathering sales because the average price of it is around 15 lacs. There are buyers there in that segment.

The consumer mindset can be very difficult to understand. However, one thing is certain. Above a certain threshold of price for any product, consumer also looks for sense of achievement through perceived brand image, icon-ship and peer positions. These attributes and the history does not changes with one decision.

However, these small changes which TATA is making now ( it's lineup of vehicles, Nexon EV, etc), very soon it would be a difficult brand to neglect. As of now, sorry TATA you missed the bus. These changes should have been present at your launch and may be a Harrier in my garage.
Roadster17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed