Motor Octane

Car & Bike

Times Drive
sachinayak is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 12:16   #332
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Nice attention to detail. The earlier (HUGE) orange Harrier on the expressway has been updated with the BS6 one in the new dual-tone colour:
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-annotation-20200316-121527.png
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 18:28   #333
BHPian

Why does the XM/XMA not get android auto? Is there a way around this and adding this feature thru a hack or something?

Overall this seems like a nice alternative to the Seltos. I specifically mean the XMA and I know that the auto is smooth and engine has power but not as refined as the Seltos 1.5D.

Last edited by ajaiD : 16th March 2020 at 18:31.
ajaiD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:15   #334
BHPian

Due to the corona virus situation, the Tata Motors plant is closed and hence there will be delays in delivery. No update on when will the deliveries happen.

Pune RTO is also closed for all business, except for new vehicle deliveries.
ihrishi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 13:28   #335
BANNED

• Tata expects over 50 percent Harrier sales to come from automatic variant
  • Also the anticipated 1.5L petrol is about 2 years away from launch
Source

Quote:
Speaking to Autocar India, Vivek Srivatsa, the marketing head of Tata Motors' car division, said the company expects more than half of all Harrier sales to come from the new diesel-automatic variant.

“As a company, 25 percent of all cars we sell are automatics. The convenience offered by an automatic is finding an increasing number of takers, and we expect over 50 percent of all Harrier sales to come from this new diesel-automatic version.”

Srivatsa stated the customers in the midsize SUV space look for a manual, an automatic and a petrol option, and with the updated Harrier, the company is covering a big section of the market. Tata wants to democratise automatic cars, and Srivatsa highlighted how the company has chosen to provide an automatic option in the mid-spec variants as well, and not solely with the more expensive top-spec trims.

The panoramic sunroof is another key addition for the Harrier, and Srivatsa pointed out how it has quickly become a highly desirable feature in the segment.

“Two years ago, we wouldn’t have considered a panoramic sunroof, but today, it is perceived as a value-add, and the Indian customer has evolved fast.” He also added that the improved quality of the sunroof means customers are no longer worried about leakages, safety or about the large sunroof affecting in-car cooling, and that demand for sunroofs is here to stay.

Tata has also decided against offering the 140hp version of the 2.0-litre Kryotec diesel engine for the entry-level Harrier, as the company aims to provide a desirable package even at a lower price point.

“We’re moving away from the idea of an entry-level variant being a poorer version of the vehicle. There’s no point in offering a less powerful engine for the base model, and we’re now wanting to provide a good package even for entry-level variants across our model line-up. Even the most affordable variant of the Harrier comes with Electronic Stability Programme as standard”, Srivatsa added.

With the help of these additions, Tata Motors hopes sales of the Harrier will pick up and propel it to the upper half of the midsize SUV sales charts.
Quote:
A 1.5-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine – a derivative of the 1.2-litre, three-cylinder Revotron petrol – is in the works for the Harrier but that won’t come for another two years. Srivatsa added how with a petrol engine, it’s key to strike a balance between fuel efficiency and performance befitting an SUV of the Harrier's size.

Last edited by wheelguy : 19th March 2020 at 13:35.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 14:23   #336
Senior - BHPian

One feels for Tata motors. They have a very competent product now but overall market sentiment has tanked. I was certain of booking a harrier in April first week but given the current economic scenario have decided to wait till at least June or July.
himanshugoswami is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 14:33   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
“Two years ago, we wouldn’t have considered a panoramic sunroof, but today, it is perceived as a value-add, and the Indian customer has evolved fast.” He also added that the improved quality of the sunroof means customers are no longer worried about leakages, safety or about the large sunroof affecting in-car cooling, and that demand for sunroofs is here to stay.
I’m sorry but this just highlights how much TATA is removed from reality. Either that or their research takes about 5 years to process and result in a product/feature decision.

Sunroofs have been desirable in the luxury segment for years, and now have penetrated all but the entry level hatchback segment. No wonder they don’t prioritise automatics either, they’re still living in 2015!

Related thread (The 2017 Poll: Manual vs Automatic Gearbox).
VeluM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 09:30   #338
BHPian

Frankly I still dont understand the fixation with a sunroof or a moon roof. Other than the occasional idiot kid popping out of the sunroof risking injury, where are you going to use it in the blistering heat and dust in India.
Palio_2005 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 09:43   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Frankly I still dont understand the fixation with a sunroof or a moon roof. Other than the occasional idiot kid popping out of the sunroof risking injury, where are you going to use it in the blistering heat and dust in India.
Completely agree, at least in Tamil Nadu. The only place I have been able to use the sunroof is in hill stations where the air is purer and it is not so hot. Even then, for a few minutes and then the impulse wears off. We still have dusty roads everywhere and you will end up with a big interior cleaning task, if you go for a long drive with the sunroof open. Last but not least I had a coconut fall on my other car’s roof when parked in the street, luckily that car (Ecosport) does not have a sunroof and I got away with a dent, a car with sunroof would have dented my pockets deeply instead.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 10:23   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
One feels for Tata motors. They have a very competent product now but overall market sentiment has tanked. I was certain of booking a harrier in April first week but given the current economic scenario have decided to wait till at least June or July.
+1. Also this reiterates the point we were making at the time of the launch last year. It could have enjoyed a competition free run for almost a year and a result put as many cars on the road as possible, cementing its place in the segment. There was no Seltos/Hector/new Creta at that time. Now it has lost all that initial momentum generated with the new car launch and the competition has all caught up, offering feature loaded cars with multiple engine and gearbox options.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 16:04   #341
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

Can you imagine the number of new Creta cancellations. No one could have foreseen this, the Harrier is still a good product for the price.
Old 20th March 2020, 16:48   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I personally rarely open the pano-roof on our GLC but the natural light it lets in even in the closed position makes the car feel really airy. I'm not sure if others like sunroofs/pano roofs because of this reason, but as strange as it sounds it really enhances the driving experience and I would consider a panoramic sunroof to be a must on any new car I buy.
AamodB is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 19:13   #343
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors released new video of Harrier 2020.
Thrill of Power. Comfort of Automatic.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 16:59   #344

Took delivery of XZA White version on March 21. I badly wanted to go for XZA+, but the price (ex showroom + TCS) would have put the car on the above 20 lakhs bracket (20% vs 15%) and the car would have costed me 2.6 lakhs extra.
Attached Thumbnails
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img20200321wa0030.jpg  

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img20200321wa0029.jpg  

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img20200321wa0031.jpg  

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img20200321wa0032.jpg  

anasmundackal is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:29   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasmundackal View Post
Took delivery of XZA White version on March 21. I badly wanted to go for XZA+, but the price (ex showroom + TCS) would have put the car on the above 20 lakhs bracket (20% vs 15%) and the car would have costed me 2.6 lakhs extra.
Great choice! I too find the XZ trim better value than the XZ+. The goodies in the XZ+ are nice to have but I wouldn't miss them. Please start an ownership review when you get the chance.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed