Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 15:45   #16

Re: Tata Hexa Safari Edition could be on cards

As Harrier and proposed Gravitas are monocoque FWD SUV (if I can call them so), the place of modern, squarish, body on chassis, 4x4 SUV is vacant in TATA portfolio. Though, HEXA cannot be aspired as true blood SUV (more so for MUV design), it is a competent machine. Therefore, I think HEXA Safari Edition can not be replaced by Gravitas.
Further, I understand that presently TATA is not developing any new body on chassis SUV. Therefore, I think HEXA Safari Edition is here to stay for some time.
May be when TATA comes up with AWD or 4X4 and more squarish version of Harrier, HEXA Safari Edition would be discontinued.

Last edited by durgesh : 5th February 2020 at 16:08. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 5th February 2020, 23:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdRider View Post
Finally, Tata has revealed the Tata Hexa Safari Edition with a BS6 compliant variant of the existing 2.2L Varicor engine at Auto Expo 2020.
Autocar report contradicts this.

This only previews the BS6 compliant Hexa which may be introduced later in the year, as per their report. No concrete information on the engine or specs were provided by TATA.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...po-2020-415999

Looks like temporary stock clearance to me, till they can get the engine ready later in the year.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 07:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Autocar report contradicts this.

This only previews the BS6 compliant Hexa which may be introduced later in the year, as per their report. No concrete information on the engine or specs were provided by TATA.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...po-2020-415999

Looks like temporary stock clearance to me, till they can get the engine ready later in the year.
Thanks for the update. If the Hexa Safari Edition is coming with the existing engine then it should definitely be a stock clearance move before the BS6 norms kick in. It was confusing to begin with, because if the upcoming Gravitas, supposedly the one to replace Hexa was going to feature the Harrier's 2.0L Kryotec engine then what's the point of updating the Hexa's engine for such a short life span. I wish that Tata would update the 2.2 L Varicor engine to BS6 version and surprise us with a proper body on frame SUV and name it just SAFARI.
Old 6th February 2020, 16:26   #19
BHPian

While TaMo is doing a great job with the products, I think they need to find a better person or team to name their products - like what is this TATA Hexa Safari edition? as if Indica, Tiago, Tigor, Altroz, Harrier, Hornbill and Gravitas weren't confusing enough that they're mix matching them.
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 19:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Posting the images from the press release here:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa Safari Edition could be on cards-hexasafari1.jpg  

Tata Hexa Safari Edition could be on cards-hexasafari2.jpg  

Tata Hexa Safari Edition could be on cards-hexasafari3.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 15:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Using the name of an iconic SUV brand like the Safari for a dying MPV like the Hexa is a big no-no in my opinion. Tata should save the brand name for one of its future SUVs. This episode reminds me of how Maruti used the famed "Zen" brand for the weird Estilo, and it made no difference at all.

I'll have to disagree. Indians might consider brands as iconic but these are usually OEMs (Suzuki, VW etc). The actual model rarely holds much sentimental or nostalgic value for the average Indian. We are extremely fond of buying cars from one particular OEM but within that OEM it is usually price, segment and features that drives the decision not the model name.

Had Tata launched the Harrier as a Safari it would've still been a dud. Barring a few 40-50 year old enthusiasts no one will consider the Safari as an iconic brand. Well known? Yes. But I doubt you'll have people selling an old Safari to buy a new Safari. The Pajero/Land Cruiser/Mustang/F-150 on the other hand? The are entire generations of Americans who never drove another model all their life.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 17:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I'll have to disagree. Indians might consider brands as iconic but these are usually OEMs (Suzuki, VW etc). The actual model rarely holds much sentimental or nostalgic value for the average Indian. We are extremely fond of buying cars from one particular OEM but within that OEM it is usually price, segment and features that drives the decision not the model name.
How about models like City and Civic from Honda that in some sense define the brand in India? Even cars like Duster, Baleno or Polo - they're etched in our minds (or hearts) as icons. It pays to build a brand than diluting or mix matching it.

Anyway we don't even know if this is a real car as with less than 50 days to BS6 deadline it won't make economic sense to offer new color/variants.
Old 7th February 2020, 18:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
But I doubt you'll have people selling an old Safari to buy a new Safari. The Pajero/Land Cruiser/Mustang/F-150 on the other hand? The are entire generations of Americans who never drove another model all their life.
Can't tell you how wrong you are here anyway, historically maximum problems with Safari were always to those who never owned one.
amitk26 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 21:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Can't tell you how wrong you are here anyway, historically maximum problems with Safari were always to those who never owned one.
Haha. I expected this response. My family owned almost every Tata PV starting from the Tata Sierra, Sierra Turbo, Estate and for a brief period the Safari. They were all rust boxes, tire eaters and oil burners. Rattled to death. Sorry, but all the pre 2015-16 Tata PV were not even remotely close to being iconic. The only people who consider them icons are the same guys who consider the Premier Padmini to be an icon . You only bought them coz there was nothing better available at the time.
On a side note, I love Tata cars and own a Hexa. But calling any of their cars iconic is a little bit of a stretch.

Last edited by yd_gli : 7th February 2020 at 21:27.
yd_gli is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks