Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 12:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

I am blown by born-again Sierra. Tata seriously needs to resurrect brand Sierra which is like a sub-brand of TaMo.

Just one quirk. What's with that electric-razor bumper bottoms front and rear? Can it double as lawn-mower? And, IMO they should also slap a spare-wheel at the tailgate like they did back in the day. TaMo should bring out more such niche cars. They may not sell by thousands but helps brand establish in the market. None of Japanese or Koreans are interested in niche cars. They have their hands full with sales of their regular cars. Look at Suzuki's refusal to bring Jimny here. Instead of being rewarded for being Suzuki's biggest market, we're being ignored. There is truth in the adage that a class teacher pampers a class bully more than her pet student in the front row.

Last edited by pgsagar : 5th February 2020 at 12:44. Reason: spelling error
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
[b]Rushlane speculates that this is based on the Alfa platform of the Altroz.
I so wish that the speculation is wrong and this turns out to be one on the shortened Xenon platform!
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:46   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I so wish that the speculation is wrong and this turns out to be one on the shortened Xenon platform!
Certainly doesn't look like a body-on-frame vehicle.

I doubt there is a market for one either!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

I doubt there is a market for one either!
"Sierra" is an emotion! A niche! Sometimes one wishes that every product offered wasn't aligned to the taste of the masses! Even the Thar hardly has a market!

However, you're right, this concept's floorboard does not suggest a ladder frame under it (but then, its still a concept, which is why, I would love to hope against hope!!)
1100D is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:53   #35
BHPian

The first time I saw its pictures earlier this morning, I assumed it to be a modern 3 door incarnation of the classic ancestor.

My jaw dropped when I noticed the C pillar in this thread. @Tata, if you are reading this, this is exactly what I was referring to on the Nexon EV thread when I mentioned the "Altroz-Based-Creta-Sized-EV". Or was it Seltos? Whatever might be the case, this is it! Please bring it out in Product form within the next year with a ~50KWh battery / 450-500km ARAI range and watch the competition run helter skelter.

This is it my friends, the future is right here! Are you ready to embrace it?
antz.bin is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 12:57   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
"Sierra" is an emotion! A niche! Sometimes one wishes that every product offered wasn't aligned to the taste of the masses! Even the Thar hardly has a market!
However, you're right, this concept's floorboard does not suggest a ladder frame under it (but then, its still a concept, which is why, I would love to hope against hope!!)
I'm quite sure the Xenon is based on a modified X2 structure from the Storme/Hexa. I don't think any more civilian cars will come on this platform from Tata. Its age & limitations are visible. Most important being cost. The segment where this car will land, is going to be the most competitive one & price will be a key differentiator for sales numbers.

It can very much be based on the Alpha stretched to its longest limit possibly. But for now I suspect its a compressed Omega instead. Monocoque for sure.

We can totally forget about Tata building a "niche" vehicle. Mahindra is our only hope for the foreseeable future. Don't forget - Tata has not included an AWD in the very capable(ish) Omega architecture in the Harrier because "sales of AWD vehicles don't justify the investment".

Its certain that Tata is more focused on bringing volume sales & value to shareholders rather than pleasing the niche enthusiasts for now.

Last edited by Reinhard : 5th February 2020 at 12:59.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:00   #37
BANNED

An absolute master stroke from Tata by reintroducing the Sierra name plate. In a similar way the Gypsy, Zen, Esteem and Ambassador models are to be brought back. But please, we don't need the Estilo, Santro and "Xcent" kind of come backs.

Tata should be named as the "Manufacturer of Auto expo 2020". No other stalls will be as interesting as Tata's, I am sure.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 5th February 2020 at 13:05.
romeomidhun is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
I am also buying shares of TAMO. The future for this company is definitely bright. They sure are going to beat the economy slowdown blues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Better product portfolio does not always translate into better profits for the company. At times even good sales also doesn't guarantee profits for the company. End of the day what any shareholder wishes is profit but not just sales & turnover.
Well I was trying to buy Tata Motor's shares thinking it will go lower than 150 but guess what happened today morning.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 4170
Size:  20.7 KB

Future indeed is bright.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As crash test standards grow stricter, body on frame cars will die a slow death in the pv space. Getting rigid bodies on a chassis frame will lead to very heavy cars.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:09   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"Sierra" is an emotion!
Even TATA Motors is!

But they need sales now. Some of these products have to really break the barrier and become a desirable household name too.

A Xenon derivative most likely won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Well I was trying to buy Tata Motor's shares thinking it will go lower than 150 but guess what happened today morning.
Was listing at double the price during the period of the previous expo, when I got excited at their prospects and bought some shares.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

Attachment 1965278

Future indeed is bright.
This has been happening a lot now in TATA Motors. It even reached 190+ about hardly a month back. I don't think expos like this have much impact. Its reports from JLR and TAMO that count. Still I would say it's a bit on the higher side to enter.

This increase in price is in line with the market and other stocks which are recovering last week's downfall post the budget.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2020 at 14:53. Reason: Spacing
abhi7013 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:15   #42
BHPian

Still people who buy in huge bulks the Rs.10 difference can make their day. Sorry for going OT.
Old 5th February 2020, 13:15   #43
BHPian

In a way, it's good Tata took this long to revive the Sierra. Had they made an attempt in the early part of the decade gone by, we would have got a semi butch smiley Sierra with christmas tree rear lights, a la Aria. And I am now convinced the Safari will be back.

We were considering an EV as a secondary car a couple years down the line, with Altroz at the forefront. Well, Altroz out, Sierra in
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:34   #44
BHPian

Looking at the old pictures below, I feel that this modern take on the old classic seems too eager to please "the modern look of the cars".

EVs are welcome and reviving Sierra is more than welcome in this age of SUVs selling like hotcakes, but not like this.

picture courtesy's:
https://www.indiacarnews.com/news/ta...rove-it-27978/

and a possible article to the design process for 2020 Sierra

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-news/would-love-to-do-a-new-gen-sierra-pratap-bose-head-of-design-tata-410273
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-20181030031723_old_sierra_aci.jpg  

Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-tatasierra.jpg  

Ashutosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:35   #45
BHPian

Man! Good looking or not, those concepts are truly striking! Tata Motors have indeed come a long way!

Reviving old, loved monikers as EVs seems to be the order of the day here. ( Like the Chetak)

With great designs as the Tiago, Nexon, Altroz, I trust the Sierra to follow suit as well.

Inevitably, it will cost a premium over the Nexon EV, but I hope not too much.

Any sort of development inputs from Land Rover, like the Harrier? A 4WD will add to the charm, but will be a niche market, but still....looks like a mini Discovery.

I don't expect it to be a volume seller, something like a niche offering, like the Suzuki Gimny. And while they're at it, why not stick that old classic "TATA" lettering instead of the modern logo, at the steering wheel and behind? Would be a classy touch.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2020 at 14:55. Reason: Spacing
GipsyDanger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks