Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th February 2020, 13:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
The side profile for some reason looks like Tata Sumo Grande. Not sure if the concept was derived from Sumo.
I was about to say that the Sumo Grande designer might have gotten parole. I think you and I need to find some cover; some stones may be heading in our direction...

Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-suerra.png

Other than that rear overhang, I think this is a fantastic reincarnation of the Sierra. Like many on the forum, I've lusted after the Sierra from the time it was released. It may have been impractical (especially in the 68Bhp avatar, and when the A/C used to conk out), but boy it was cool.

Let's see if this concept makes it to production, regardless of the drivetrain, it's bound to be an electric release.
Amartya is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 13:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

What a beautiful amalgamation of old Sierra looks with a modern outlook. I was a kid when Sierra was used so never drove it but still fondly remember the drives, loved it. Tata is the only manufacturer who goes into production with as close as you can get to concept looks. So, this will indeed be a smasher in its segment. Any timeline when we can see this on roads? My guess will be mid of next year. All in all wonderful effort. Kudos.
harry10 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:08   #48
BHPian

Finally, there's a TATA I wouldn't mind owning! I never could connect to any Tata vehicle other than the Sierra, Estate and to a certain degree, the Sumo 4x4. Even if Tata could pull off an impossible resurrection of the Estate & Sumo 4x4, the market just doesn't exist anymore to accept. But Sierra is a legend, and I'm glad it's back on. To top it off, it's an EV and hopefully 4WD. Perfect.
Old 5th February 2020, 14:26   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Well I was trying to buy Tata Motor's shares thinking it will go lower than 150 but guess what happened today morning.
Future indeed is bright.
Sorry for going OT. I think last 6 months it has been picking up steadily. It is a good sign and also they made a record profit last Quarter. Anyway, I'll keep a watch. In 2016, when Tata was coming with impact design philosophy, I was optimistic and bought them at 530 only to sell in another two months at 510. Albeit I made a loss, that was a good decision given that it went down to 107. I guess there is a phase lag of few years before any good effort reflects on balance sheet. May be this is the right time to invest.

Good going Tata. If Q1 of 2020 is also going to be profitable, I guess it has potential to rally like MSIL stocks did a decade ago.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 5th February 2020 at 14:29.
Thermodynamics is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, Sierra can be the perfect 'bridge' model between Tata and JLR for the global markets.

It can do that as an EV or even as a 4WD lifestyle vehicle (although the chances of that is really low, since it would entail a lot of investment). EVs are actually simpler and natural 4WD! This segment is seeing a comeback with more rounded, softer versions of iconic/rugged SUVs like the Defender and the Bronco.

As an EV, Tata would be uniquely positioned and maybe it can be sold as a Tata or even a EV specific Tata-JLR brand.
avishar is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:58   #51
BHPian

Just what the doctor ordered!!

Can't wait to see it in flesh, on road!

Wish they also give it a ICE heart. Will make it a complete package. Only EV for the current times may not fetch them as many foot falls in the showroom as much as they would like to.

Other possibility doing rounds in my head is (and these are just thoughts of an empty mind) what if they come out with a proper hybrid? ICE + EV. That would truly be icing on the cake. Will also open up space for them to go fully electric once the market has matured further.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 15:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Better product portfolio does not always translate into better profits for the company. At times even good sales also doesn't guarantee profits for the company.
Well nothing guarantees profit in share market but TATA can hardly do anything more than launching great products. So basically they are doing the basics right.

I till this morning was a total non believer in TATA products. And now i don't mind buying this Sierra even if it is overpriced by a couple of lakhs. The Desirability quotient is right up there with the best at least for me.

BTW are Tata guys lurking of Tbhp nowdays? I remember someone recently suggesting to relaunch the Sierra brand in Tata Harrier BS6 thread.

One more thing TaMo share jumped 11% today!!
bmw_lover is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 16:23   #53
BHPian

And this is how you should make a comeback.

Loved the original car. Loved the concept. All the gaga over the vw taigun and the skoda vision in is made to zero after this... Dream car goals just got updated.

What I want in the production:

2+1 doors
Futuristic yet elegant squarish design
Wheel on the back
18 inch wheels atleast 255 width
A hefty 3.0 l engine with a huge torque (the 2.2 400 nm will also suffice if they don't add weight)
Short thar like wheelbase
4x4 (not awd)
All the other safety kitty
Rear 2 wipers (like the Sierra turbo)
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 16:26   #54
BHPian

Absolutely stunning design.

Does anyone know if there is any LandRover Defender DNA in this?. Probably the platform.

Tata also supplies vehicles to the Armed Forces. Even if they make in on the Defender platform and a 44, I think it wouldn't a bad investment IF they can get the Army to like it and place a bulk order.
Old 5th February 2020, 16:44   #55
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

What a stunning design! It has Land Rover written all over it. I just hope they launch a version with petrol engine or a petrol hybrid along with 4WD. Will be a great replacement for my Thar.
BlackPearl is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 18:55   #56
BANNED

Pratap Bose in a conversation with Autocar explains about Sierra EV. The car is based on ALFA platform.
wheelguy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 19:08   #57
Senior - BHPian

Default Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

My Dad owned not one but Two Sierras in the 90s! Almost back to back our family had the Sierra, the second one being the Turbo version. In fact I learnt to drive in the Sierra Turbo when I was completing high school and it was such a fantastic machine!

And thats why Im thrilled to see this concept and I hope it makes it to production some day! I really hope I can buy it as my next car when im due for a change 3 years down the line!
motorworks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 19:31   #58
BHPian

After 2-3 years when Tata Sierra EV is launched some of the 90's generation, grown-up people might instantly buy this. Tough fight between heart and head, we all know who wins most of the time. The looks and the sheer presence of Tata Sierra was unmatched.

Then we might have our kids saying, "Dad are you nuts to plonk money on a Tata SUV that too an EV?" But the inner kid in you will know how much you loved it back then and would like to have it now, add the modern technology and this is a wonderful recipe for 90's generation.

This might actually be the Tata's moment like RE's had with the introduction of 650 twins. Classic yet modern in its own way.

I am holding on my future car plans just because of this!!

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 5th February 2020 at 19:32.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 20:43   #59
BHPian

Got to respect the passion Mr Pratap Bose brings into the picture. Just the way he talks about all these creations will make an impression on people. That alone is enough marketing these models will ever need. Left side of the car is a clever hack. He has solved Siera's only design weakness without losing its character.

He is what differentiates Tata from other manufacturers these days. No other manufacturer has got such graceful and futuristic designs.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 5th February 2020 at 20:46.
padmrajravi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 21:41   #60
BHPian

Go Tata..., It takes the rough with the smooth!

There were some comments in the Buzzard/Gravitas thread suggesting Tata should use the name Sierra instead of Buzzard. Little did we know Tata had this under their sleeve
kudos to their design and marketing team.

I like the design, especially the rear door, maintaining the essence of Sierra while making it convenient. Like every one here, I was a fan of Sierra growing up and this is just so awesome. I hope it comes to production, It is equally beautiful and I hope I can afford it.

Also agree it does look uncannily similar to Grande, good catch.
PS: looks smaller than the Sierra though.
- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 5th February 2020 at 21:42.
Slick is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed