Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 08:09   #91
BHPian

There would be ICE options if this goes to production.
Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-imageuploadedbyteambhp1581043156.060311.jpg
vaasscit is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 08:32   #92
BHPian

Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

This is nostalgia reloaded, honestly. Personally I think they should take inspiration from the current defender and make a SWB and LWB version of it both electric and ICE versions.

Most of the concept designs rarely make it to production. If TML can make it work, it would be brilliant. But then, from concept to production it would be a good 24 months away as TML currently battles perception, market share and volumes from their current models that will eventually push them to launch newer versions

Fingers crossed, the legend may just surprise some of its hardcore fans
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 10:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't want to see THIS in rear view mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-sierra.jpg  

pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:32   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder what ever happened to the comment about not having a Russian doll approach ?

All these new SUV's look to have similar front looks. Side & rear are little different, but where is the distinction from the front ?
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I wish the rear left door is of gull-wing type. That'll make it an amazing package.
Needs more space to open. Tight parking spots, malls, even apartments and housing colony parking lots. The slide-down door is a neat approach in itself.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:37   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
All these new SUV's look to have similar front looks. Side & rear are little different, but where is the distinction from the front ?

Right now the Sierra in its concept phase the front / face has an uncanny resemblance to the Hornbill.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:59   #97
BHPian

As a kid I was in love with the old Tata Sierra and desired it so much.

This new Sierra refreshed my memories. I like this new concept and wish it makes it to production soon. The sliding rear door is so classy and looks practical too. The seating and interiors are more concept and may not make it to actual production is what i feel.

With this design, Tata shows its creative side and shows its commitment to be a formidable player in the market.
Old 7th February 2020, 13:08   #98

It seems like more people are excited at the prospect that the Sierra Badge is being bought back by TAMO than the actual final design, even if it is only at a concept stage.

Frankly I think the New concept Sierra is not all that good (Full marks for the effort though). I know most people will not agree with my opinion but let me explain my stance. I am a big fan of TAMO. As a kid the car on my bedroom wall was not a Lamborghini but a TATA Mobile. I have loved all the erstwhile TATA-Telco products, Mobile, Sierra, Estate.

I feel even the new design language of TAMO is quite good with the Harrier, Altros and even the Hexa. Plus it is a classic underdog story, David Vs Goliath battle and such stories always appeal to the masses at large and we want underdog brands like TATA to succeed.

But all that being said I think the cons far outweigh the pro in the case of the NEW Sierra IMO. And I know I am being severely over critical but the Sierra Concept is a luke-warm attempt and does not do justice to the Legend that is the Old Tata Sierra.

Pros
- It is a EV: That is the future and there is no denying that fact and I'm glad TAMO is going that way.
- The 4 Door setup: They seem to have solved the biggest Achilles heel of the Sierra by giving it that sliding door as now families can think of buying this car.
- The Badge Engineering: this will appease all those 80's and 90's kids that aspired to buy the Sierra but couldn't do that and now they will have a chance to fulfill that aspiration to own a home grown Sierra.

Cons
- It's too Round: The OG Sierra was a boxy car, it was tough as nails to look at and to drive. This looks like a something that is too curvy, too smooth, too overdesigned. It looks like an well used eraser that has lost its sharp edges, I liked by old eraser that could not just erase by tear the paper off.

- It is a soft roader: I understand that TAMO is not pitching it as an off-roader but I feel that it should do justice to its heritage. Back in the day there used to be a top of the line export model Sierra Telcosport 4x4 that was a madman on wheels. IMO there should have been some of those genes passed down to this modern day rendition.

- Looks like a hurried job: The design looks like the whole car was made in a hurry to meet the deadline of the expo. It seems like it has been built on a existing platform of TATA motors as opposed to building it on its own platform ground-up as a halo car of this magnitude deserves.

- Flora in the cabin??!! : I mean I get that this is an EV but the trees/plants/foliage/bonsai happening inside the car is just overkill. I understand its a EV don't shove the eco-friendliness down my throat.

- The sliding door: I know I listed this as a Pro too but I am a Purist and would like to see the sierra retain its 3 door character. This is a lifestyle vehicle and those by nature are unapologetic in their design, they are not supposed to be friendly to Aunties in sarees. they are supposed to have character which the OG did and somewhere is diluted in this concept.

- Rear mounted Tyre: the rear mounted tyre on the Sierra was a signature touch with the TATA Sierra script on the cover. Following the old Sierra made you feel small. I feel they should have tipped their hat to integrate that in the design language but it seems due to time constraints they missed out on it.

I Know I have nitpicked a lot on the Sierra but I truly love this car in its original form and its one of those brand names that still invoke a strong emotion in the general public. Such brand names are legacies and they deserve a true lineage or they become obscure (eg-zen estillo, sumo grande, the new santro), I hope moving forward they give us something that turns our strong emotions into a permanent legacy with this Sierra and it truely becomes one of their Halo Products.

Cheers

-
Wingman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 14:41   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Right now the Sierra in its concept phase the front / face has an uncanny resemblance to the Hornbill.
But when we look at recent Tata designs, the production version has been quite close to the concept, from outside. Insides shown here are typical concept style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
It seems like more people are excited at the prospect that the Sierra Badge is being bought back by TAMO ...
a Purist and would like to see the sierra retain its 3 door character. This is a lifestyle vehicle and those by nature are unapologetic in their design, they are not supposed to be friendly to Aunties in sarees
Pratap Bose has said if released it would (likely) be in both versions. The flora again - concept style, doubt it will be in production cars anytime soon.
And yes, the 3-door was also one of the main attractions of the Sierra. Some people may comment on the point about not being friendly - but isnt a Thar just that ? Or even the Gurkha ?

Last edited by condor : 7th February 2020 at 14:54.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 14:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the way Pratap bose is replying, it seems he is trying to sell this not only to the customers but also to TML upper management. I don't think he has approvals yet to take this to production in any form.
padmrajravi is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 21:28   #101
BHPian

Tata old Sierra was way ahead than it's time. I believe 2020 is really a good time to bring the Sierra back as people are now willing to pay 10-20L for a lifestyle vehicle. But at the same time I am really afraid of the recent SUV trends (FYI - S-Presso, Freestyle are being sold as SUV). If it comes with a torquey engine and 4x4 mechanical, then it is going to be the most desired horse in many's stable.
Old 7th February 2020, 21:36   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Some people may comment on the point about not being friendly - but isnt a Thar just that ? Or even the Gurkha ?
If it doesn't compromise on the form, why compromise on the function?

Perhaps this small change can help it appeal to a wider audience. Thar, Gurkha crowd will probably stay away anyways, as the Sierra will most likely not have a proper 4*4. (Hope it comes with AWD at least!).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th February 2020 at 21:37.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 19:09   #103

I am seeing many people on the forum comparing the new concept to what the old vehicle was.
It is important to know what the old Sierra nameplate stood for i.e lifestyle, desirability, uniqueness. The new Sierra concept is a take on that approach and we cannot expect it to be the same vehicle it was. If we like the rugged looks of the old and body on frame, why not talk about the positives that the new Alfa platform provides? Better driving dynamics, powertrain options and safety.

It will be interesting to see the final production version if it does make it.
BullBoy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 22:25   #104
BHPian

Little Easter eggs in Sierra, tweeted by Mr. Bose
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-screenshot_20200208215226.png  

Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-img_20200208_215209.jpg  

Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-img_20200208_215203.jpg  

Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-img_20200208_215205.jpg  

Deepsp is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 19:20   #105
BHPian

Tata has published a teaser of the car on YouTube as well. At 1:18 in the video, one can clearly see the words EV written.
TejasKinger is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks