Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:19   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kannur
Posts: 3,713
Thanked: 6,348 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

They are going to launch Sierra for sure. Just see the name Safari did to an extended Harrier. Sierra brand has equal fan following and Tata will not miss that opportunity.
Latheesh is online now  
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:26   #122
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Udupi
Posts: 9
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
If Tata launch this vehicle in future, it has to be 4 door version. 2 door versions don't sell in India. Hope Tata will go for it.
I wish they give gull wing doors at the rear like model x. This way they can retain the signature glass area.
thush is offline  
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:42   #123
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 2,445
Thanked: 2,871 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
If Tata launch this vehicle in future, it has to be 4 door version. 2 door versions don't sell in India. Hope Tata will go for it.
Really? Just look at Thar queue. In fact, Tata MUST launch in 2-door configuration. That's how the old gen Sierra was. They need to build on that rather than depart form that theme. Also, it is better to be a niche product and enjoy the monopoly. If Thar is a Texan cowboy, Sierra is a Wall Street wizkid.

These two cars have the potential to grace many multi-car garages in India. Just look at Thar. Even celebrities and rich dudes are lapping it up. These are the people who can pretty well afford the real McCoy, Wrangler, but didn't. Also, the fact that new gen Thar is lightyears ahead of older one in fit, finish and features helped immensely. Ditto with new Safari and I'm sure same will be with new Sierra, Scorpio and XUV500. Finally, Tata/Mahindra duo are catching up with others.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:50   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
aniketi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,585
Thanked: 1,323 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Really? Just look at Thar queue. In fact, Tata MUST launch in 2-door configuration. That's how the old gen Sierra was. They need to build on that rather than depart form that theme. Also, it is better to be a niche product and enjoy the monopoly. If Thar is a Texan cowboy, Sierra is a Wall Street wizkid.

These two cars have the potential to grace many multi-car garages in India. Just look at Thar. Even celebrities and rich dudes are lapping it up. These are the people who can pretty well afford the real McCoy, Wrangler, but didn't. Also, the fact that new gen Thar is lightyears ahead of older one in fit, finish and features helped immensely. Ditto with new Safari and I'm sure same will be with new Sierra, Scorpio and XUV500. Finally, Tata/Mahindra duo are catching up with others.
Yes. Because Thar is Jeep category and Sierra is car category. Class is different.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:21   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 2,081
Thanked: 3,176 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the new HBX/Hornbill is christened the Sierra.
Don't think the HBX would get it.
Most likely the Creta rival (blackbird) will get the Sierra.

Nevertheless, for either of them it would be a body coloured B pillar and glossy black treatment on the C and D pillar.

Voila. Sierra name worthy.
DicKy is offline  
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:27   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Don't think the HBX would get it.
Most likely the Creta rival (blackbird) will get the Sierra.

Nevertheless, for either of them it would be a body coloured B pillar and glossy black treatment on the C and D pillar.

Voila. Sierra name worthy.
Way too offtopic but is a creta rival or blackbird real ? I thought it was just a rumour that should have been quashed by now
aansh singhania is offline  
Old 4th March 2021, 11:28   #127
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 10
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Hi All,

Being born in the '80s, I have been an admirer of the Sierra growing up.

However, my drool wasn't enough to convince my father to buy it then.

The new concept showcased is drool-worthy again. And that interior! Mercy!

I recently drove a friend's brand new Nexon EV and I am convinced that my next car should be an electric. It makes so much sense and is a lovely package by Tata. Well done TML.

Now, my question is... Does anyone here have any update regarding the Sierra EV launch. Is it practical to wait for it?

Nexon is small for me and I am not too keen on the MG as I want to support a home grown car maker.

Please help me decide. Thanks
vm27 is offline  
Old 13th March 2021, 17:29   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 2,081
Thanked: 3,176 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
Way too offtopic but is a creta rival or blackbird real ? I thought it was just a rumour that should have been quashed by now
Going by the lack of scoop pics, the Blackbird project seems to be on hold. Last heard, Tata was deliberating between the Alfa, Omega and chinese Chery platforms, finalising on the Alfa.

But am pretty sure, after the HBX launch and some EV launches, a Creta rival would be top priority for Tata. And the Sierra concept would be perfect for it.
(just like the Safari revival, I would say the Sierra revival would also be butchering the name IMHO..still)

Revival of old legendary nameplate ✓
Stand out amongst the competition✓
Boxy design hopefully leading to more practicality✓
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm27 View Post

Now, my question is... Does anyone here have any update regarding the Sierra EV launch. Is it practical to wait for it?

Please help me decide. Thanks
Wait for as in, wait for Sierra? Hopefully we will hear in the near future. Tata of recent has been reliable in turning concepts to production, and the Sierra concept looked ripe to slot in between the Nexon and Harrier, or maybe even compliment the Harrier. Pratap Bose has been enthusiastic on the Sierra concept and would emphasize on the EV part.

But wait, as in waiting for a Sierra EV within the next 2-3 years? Don't.
Even the potential money minting Blackbird project is on hold. The HBX is still testing. Other than the Sierra concept shown on the Auto Expo there is nothing else concrete on the launch. Would be futile to wait for it if you are planning to buy an EV in the near future.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:55   #129
BHPian
 
EightSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 329
Thanked: 1,450 Times
Default Tata Sierra Production Spec Render

Praveen C. John of OZ Designs has rendered a production-spec design of the Tata Sierra based on the concept car seen at the auto-expo last year.


Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020-9ab8e1a941e44f8ba55b2b9cc179cdef.jpeg
The Sierra render is finished in blue and boasts a 4-door design for practicality.


Original Article

Last edited by EightSix : 16th March 2021 at 13:59.
EightSix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 23:35   #130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Chennai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Even the potential money minting Blackbird project is on hold. The HBX is still testing. Other than the Sierra concept shown on the Auto Expo there is nothing else concrete on the launch.
The reason I think the blackbird is not on cards is because they don't have an engine to support it. What are the engines that tata have? 1.2L petrol, 1.5L diesel, and a fiat sourced 2L diesel. FGT on the altroz, VGT on the nexon. What other option do they have? 140 bhp version of fiat 2L MJD? No, that would get the costs up. So, I think all Tata would do is, go the EV way in the segment: Sierra.
They could tune up the nexon motor and reuse it with a bigger battery.

Once HBX hits show rooms, there would be a couple of EV launches from Tata(altroz EV, Sierra EV and a possible HBX EV). Going by their announcement that they would fill 90% of the segments, they could/would use the same engine options on sedan version of altroz and a mini MPV. We all want tata to do a creta rival. But they won't.

Last edited by Benoit : 17th March 2021 at 23:36. Reason: Spellings
Benoit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:32   #131
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 443
Thanked: 1,072 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Once HBX hits show rooms, there would be a couple of EV launches from Tata(altroz EV, Sierra EV and a possible HBX EV). Going by their announcement that they would fill 90% of the segments, they could/would use the same engine options on sedan version of altroz and a mini MPV. We all want tata to do a creta rival. But they won't.
That's sad. Because that IS the segment where you can finally see those big fat profit chunks rolling in. I don't understand why they are having such a difficulty with petrol engines, when mahindra doesn't have any.

They still don't have a competent petrol engine, if I'm brutally being honest. "Competent" as in segment leading. Somewhere down the line they'll eventually need to introduce a petrol for the Harrier. What are they going to do then?

Maybe they're over estimating the current penetration of EV and think developing a bigger petrol engine is a waste, but our country has a long long long way to go before EV can become mainstream. I don't see it happening anytime soon. I can't even get a consistent electricity connection at home without atleast one power cut daily and I live in a relatively decent city. Imagine the kind of impact EV charging stations will have, on our grids.

They need to begin R&D on a new bigger petrol engine asap.

P.s. accidentally deleted the entirety of the rest of this post, apologies.

Last edited by SaiSW : 18th March 2021 at 10:51.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 18:01   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 2,081
Thanked: 3,176 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The reason I think the blackbird is not on cards is because they don't have an engine to support it. What are the engines that tata have? 1.2L petrol, 1.5L diesel, and a fiat sourced 2L diesel. FGT on the altroz, VGT on the nexon. What other option do they have? 140 bhp version of fiat 2L MJD? No, that would get the costs up.
Don't think so.
Tata could definitely squeeze more figures from their 1.5l diesel, and a 1.5l turbo petrol is in development as well. The Blackbird project isn't really on hold for want of engines, but Tata definitely is in a tight spot for the Omega platform. Except for the Harrier/Safari duo they really can't have more models on the platform due to engine constraints.

But agree with the lack of engines on Tata's stable. To be frank, other than the 1.5l diesel, can't think of any other decent engines including upcoming ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Maybe they're over estimating the current penetration of EV and think developing a bigger petrol engine is a waste, but our country has a long long long way to go before EV can become mainstream. I don't see it happening anytime soon. I can't even get a consistent electricity connection at home without atleast one power cut daily and I live in a relatively decent city. Imagine the kind of impact EV charging stations will have, on our grids.

They need to begin R&D on a new bigger petrol engine asap.
True. Unlike Mahindra which is all set for more than a decade with their line-up of petrol and diesel engines, Tata is seriously handicapped.

The lame 1.2l petrol engine is flogged again and again, the Fiat 2.0l diesel is outsourced and the rumoured cause of many of Tata's Omega platform problems. Only the 1.5l diesel is decent and has some sort of potential.

Ofcourse Tata is developing a 1.5l GDI turbo petrol for the Harrier, which could be used for smaller models in a cheaper spec. But the overall feeling is that Tata has deliberated on ICE development and is daydreaming of leaping to a full EV future within half a decade.

For all their styling and dynamics, the engine is the weakest (or boring) aspect in modern Tatas. Not to say, the Omega platform is being wasted without further models based on it.

Last edited by DicKy : 18th March 2021 at 18:03.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:29   #133
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 443
Thanked: 1,072 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Don't think so.

True. Unlike Mahindra which is all set for more than a decade with their line-up of petrol and diesel engines, Tata is seriously handicapped.

The lame 1.2l petrol engine is flogged again and again, the Fiat 2.0l diesel is outsourced and the rumoured cause of many of Tata's Omega platform problems. Only the 1.5l diesel is decent and has some sort of potential.

Ofcourse Tata is developing a 1.5l GDI turbo petrol for the Harrier, which could be used for smaller models in a cheaper spec. But the overall feeling is that Tata has deliberated on ICE development and is daydreaming of leaping to a full EV future within half a decade.
I cannot understand when exactly this massive gap in engine tech was opened. How did it go so wrong for Tata when it comes to engines, compared to mahindra and how did mahindra manage to come up with such strong engines right now?
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 09:37   #134
Senior - BHPian
 
DicKy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thiruvanthapuram
Posts: 2,081
Thanked: 3,176 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I cannot understand when exactly this massive gap in engine tech was opened. How did it go so wrong for Tata when it comes to engines, compared to mahindra and how did mahindra manage to come up with such strong engines right now?
With the risk of going heavily off topic

Tata's lethargy? - Pretty rich to say that considering the sales they are doing now and the company itself has committed to a launch/updation of the line-up every 6 months. But the fact is after the Tiago/Nexon launch they have kinda freezed new ICE development. Only improvements and variations of existing engines. There have been talks of adding one cylinder to the 1.2l petrol, making it a 1.6l as well as a 1.5l GDI turbo petrol being developed for the Harrier. But the fact is, last time we saw some new engines were during the Nexon launch.

No decent small petrols nor big diesels. The lack of a big diesel IMHO is a serious dampener for the Omega platform. Leave the rumoured coupe SUV or sedan, a proper 8 seater MPV on the Omega platform would have been something else. Sad that the A-W-E-S-O-M-E styling and suspension tuning/dynamics of new Tatas make the middle of the road engines stand out in a bad way.

Partnerships - Though I would like to believe so, and all sources point out to the new family of Mahindra engines as developed in-house with help of AVL, it's too much of a coincidence that Ssangyong had engines of the same type. Not to belittle Mahindra's technical prowess in anyway and I would love to be wrong in this one, but...

Tata is in a weird position. Can't use the older JLR engines as they are either old or big or from Ford/Volvo. Can't use the Ingenium ones as they are cost prohibitive. Some big brains in TML might have thought "why bother when we could leap forward to the EV age. Flog the existing ICE till then."

Ofcourse, there is always the possibility of Tata doing a D8->Omega with the engines and using the Ingenium engines in a lower spec version. Everything from i3 to i6, 1.5l to 3.0l and in between. Fingers crossed.

But for now, Mahindra is the ICE winner amongst the two. Now they have to launch new models to fit the new engines.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 10:06   #135
BHPian
 
SaiSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Good Blue Earth
Posts: 443
Thanked: 1,072 Times
Default Re: Tata Sierra reborn - Brand revived as a concept in Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
[i]
No decent small petrols nor big diesels. The lack of a big diesel IMHO is a serious dampener for the Omega platform. Leave the rumoured coupe SUV or sedan, a proper 8 seater MPV on the Omega platform would have been something else. Sad that the A-W-E-S-O-M-E styling and suspension tuning/dynamics of new Tatas make the middle of the road engines stand out in a bad way.
Sorry if this sounds a bit strange, but why can't they just downsize the LR engines to be used in their bigger products like the Safari? They managed to modify an LR platform enough to be able to be used in their higher range products, can't they do the same with some of their powertrains.

Also, I don't understand how they developed a platform without taking into account a good medium size diesel that they already have, the 2.2 Varicor 400.

It's a pretty refined engine, is pretty reliable and would've made both the Safari and the Harrier as interesting to drive as the 2.0, if not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
[i]

But for now, Mahindra is the ICE winner amongst the two. Now they have to launch new models to fit the new engines.
Without a doubt. The flexibility of powertrain options they have is scary compared to Tata. Hope tata gets out of their slumber and starts development asap.

Last edited by SaiSW : 20th March 2021 at 10:09.
SaiSW is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks