Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2020, 00:57   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Tiguan Allspace & T-Roc pre-bookings open

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
It looks like a good package to me but they should have given more details about the car! Four pages of things most people dont care about. Atleast tell me how much power that TSI makes VW

Also, arent the vehicals in this segment getting smaller with every other launch? First the compass, then seltos, now this. A neighbour owns a T-Roc and honestly that little car doesnt look like it belongs in this segment.

Last edited by TSIboy : 6th February 2020 at 01:02.
TSIboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 08:56   #17
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen @ Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Tiguan Allspace gets a foldable third row seats and 7 airbags. It is a 2.0L TSI turbocharged petrol powered engine mated to a 7-speed 4MOTION DSG gearbox:
The front grille shows the R-Line logo! Is this the final product launching in India or only meant for display at the Auto-Expo? Some more information regarding this will be useful for us petrol heads as this will officially mark the entry of VW's R-Line performance vehicles in India. If they are launching the R-Line, I'm assuming that the Tiguan Allspace will be priced at a much higher premium compared to the regular Tiguan. However, VW may just hit it out of the park if they can price this right and not follow the older Tiguan pricing!
Old 6th February 2020, 09:17   #18
BHPian

I'm a bit confused as to how the products slot in.

So the Taigun is in the Creta/Seltos segment while the T-Roc is in the Compass/Tucson segment?

My initial understanding was that the Taigun is based on the T-Roc but with the MQB A0-IN platform and slightly bigger proportions. Perhaps this where I'm missing something.

EDIT: Going through the thread again, the T Roc seems to be the same size as the Creta, I'm completely confused now! Or is VW not playing the size game at all?

I'd greatly appreciate someone's explanation on this.

Last edited by SS8939 : 6th February 2020 at 09:22.
Old 6th February 2020, 09:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
I'm a bit confused as to how the products slot in.

So the Taigun is in the Creta/Seltos segment while the T-Roc is in the Compass/Tucson segment?

My initial understanding was that the Taigun is based on the T-Roc but with the MQB A0-IN platform and slightly bigger proportions. Perhaps this where I'm missing something.

I'd greatly appreciate someone's explanation on this.
Let me add to the confusion. I had initially expected the T Cross to launch below the T Roc. But with the Taigun launch, the T Cross is what is missing in the lineup.
Also, I don't think the regular Compass and Tucson are in the same segment. The Tucson and perhaps the Trailhawk variant of the Compass can be compared. The old Tiguan definitely was a competitor to the Tucson. Not sure, though.
4nd3r50n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 09:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveesh_k View Post
They should introduce VW Golf in India
There is no hope though! Volkswagen is fully going to focus on SUVs for at least the short term - they even call this phase 'SUVW'.

Quote:
Taigun is the localized actual deal, whereas the T-Roc will either be a CBU/CKD launched in the market just for visibility and branding purposes.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th February 2020 at 09:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 09:50   #21
BHPian

So I did some digging and here's what I have.

Practically all VW cars are now based on the MQB platform. However, MQB has been deemed too expensive for the Indian market. Therefore, their cheaper cars will be based on MQB A0 IN instead.

What VW might have in mind:

Relatively cheaper cars with the MQB A0 IN-
New Polo: 12 lakhs
New Vento: 17 lakhs
Taigun (instead of t cross which is based on full MQB): 21 lakhs

More premium cars where price may not be as defining, with full MQB-
T Roc: 27 lakhs
Tiguan: 32 lakhs
Passat: 37 lakhs
Tiguan all space: 38 lakhs

If they do this, then they still have a gap to fill in the compact SUV segment.

Also, while the Taigun's size seems to be on par with the segment, the only slightly larger T-Roc might have trouble considering the larger Harrier and Hector are a segment below. That said, the Tucson and Compass aren't that large either.

Last edited by SS8939 : 6th February 2020 at 10:13.
SS8939 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 10:12   #22
REN
BHPian

Quote:

I posted this in another thread yesterday. Your assumption is right in terms of price. The Taigun will be placed in the Creta/Seltos territory and the T-Roc is expected to cost around 25 Lakhs.

The Taigun is based on the Chinese T-Cross. While the global T-Cross is slightly smaller than the T-Roc, the Indian T-Cross (Taigun) is almost identical to T-Roc in terms of length and wheelbase. Both are around 4.2m in length and have a wheelbase of around 2.6m. In fact, going by Volkswagen India's official website, the Taigun has a slightly longer wheelbase (2.65m) than the T-Roc. The real difference between them is their platforms, the T-Roc uses the global MQB while the Taigun will use the MQB-A0-IN.

From yesterday's presentation, the T-Roc appears slightly wider standing next to the Taigun, but that's about it. VW seem to have brought in the T-Roc as a CBU to fill the compact SUV void in their portfolio until the Taigun is ready. But with nothing major to differentiate them feature-wise and the 1.5 TSI being hinted for the Taigun as well, the CBU T-Roc is going to be a tough sell unless priced very attractively. Sure, the T-Roc being a CBU will have better quality of interiors, but I'm not sure how many will find value in it.

Volkswagen @ Auto Expo 2020-screenshot-20200205-5.01.51-pm.png
REN is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 10:29   #23
BANNED

Was there any info on their plans to introduce ID range vehicles in India?
Old 6th February 2020, 10:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Was there any info on their plans to introduce ID range vehicles in India?
During the ACI interview with Juergen Stackmann, he mentions that electric cars are not part of the India 2.0 plan.

Any EV cars launched in the next decade will only be for namesake, and not localized - as Volkswagen believes that we do not have the infrastructure to support the ecosystem.
Old 6th February 2020, 10:40   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
During the ACI interview with Juergen Stackmann, he mentions that electric cars are not part of the India 2.0 plan.

Any EV cars launched in the next decade will only be for namesake, and not localized - as Volkswagen believes that we do not have the infrastructure to support the ecosystem.
Ah.. that's disappointing to hear, similar lines spoken by Renault as well. These guys want to come into a mature market and expect that consumers will switch to their products? They have a huge advantage of moving into a space where there is no competition and can own it if they push for it.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 11:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
There is no hope though! Volkswagen is fully going to focus on SUVs for at least the short term - they even call this phase 'SUVW'.
I was hoping they'll showcase the facelifted Passat here, which has been caught testing on the road. Not sure if and when they'll launch it in India.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
So I did some digging and here's what I have.

Practically all VW cars are now based on the MQB platform. However, MQB has been deemed too expensive for the Indian market. Therefore, their cheaper cars will be based on MQB A0 IN instead.

What VW might have in mind:

Relatively cheaper cars with the MQB A0 IN-
New Polo: 12 lakhs
New Vento: 17 lakhs
Taigun (instead of t cross which is based on full MQB): 21 lakhs

More premium cars where price may not be as defining, with full MQB-
T Roc: 27 lakhs
Tiguan: 32 lakhs
Passat: 37 lakhs
Tiguan all space: 38 lakhs

If they do this, then they still have a gap to fill in the compact SUV segment.

Also, while the Taigun's size seems to be on par with the segment, the only slightly larger T-Roc might have trouble considering the larger Harrier and Hector are a segment below. That said, the Tucson and Compass aren't that large either.
There is no way the Taigun sells for 21L. I think they would position that one at nearly half the price. Similarly I feel the T-ROC will go against the Compass (even though the Compass is larger) in terms of pricing.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
There is no way the Taigun sells for 21L. I think they would position that one at nearly half the price. Similarly I feel the T-ROC will go against the Compass (even though the Compass is larger) in terms of pricing.
I meant the on road, top variant price here. The Seltos is priced similarly too.
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 12:50   #29
BHPian

Glad to see VW back in action. There is something moving forward from top global player.

T Roc is basically the SUV/Crossover version of VW Golf.

Taigun or T Cross is its variant based on VW Polo.

I don't see how VW Golf can compete with Skoda Octavia in India, both being siblings from the same platform.

I feel VW should focus on SUV/Crossovers and Skoda on Hatchbacks and regular cars. Otherwise, differentiation becomes a problem.
Old 6th February 2020, 12:51   #30
BHPian

Are they going to launch the new polo or axing it?

Most Viewed