Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 10:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra @ Auto Expo 2020

Mahindra must be really really annoyed at TBhp for this “I’ll report what I see” unbiased coverage of the obvious fraud they were trying to pull off with the eXUV300. No other media channel has reported this so openly, should I say so brazenly. Kudos to GTO and team. You literally caught them with their pants down.

Honesty, how can a publicly traded company pull of such a stunt at the biggest auto show of the country? Reminds me of the military parades that North Korea uses to have under Kim Jong Il in the 90s with all those missiles that were widely reported to be dummies.

Mahindra has clearly done and learnt nothing in a decade since acquiring Reva, while Tata has marched forward and now seems so far ahead, you almost feel bad.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 7th February 2020 at 11:08.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thought I was disappointed with the Maruti stall with no Jimny and the same vehicles that are on road with additional sticker jobs. Mahindra, however, managed to find a new low. A fake eXUV300?! They had the gall to put it up on display as well!

Why even participate if you had nothing to show in the first place? Could have easily saved a few crores.
Old 7th February 2020, 11:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

As much as I like Mahindra, I have to admit, they have capitulated big time to their old nemesis, Tata who is firing on all cylinders in this expo. The EV XUV300 look so yucky with those decals. If Tata is at the top this year then Mahindra and Maruti are at tail end. Mahindra had first-mover advantage in EV domain but they have nothing to show for it today. Ten years of E20 experience couldn't be put to use. XUV300 EV is at least 6 months away, that is, if they burn midnight oil.
Old 7th February 2020, 11:50   #19
BHPian

Such an half-hearted attempt by Mahindra. Not having new products is one thing, but this to me looked like a "allocate one manager with some resources" instead of being a group-think effort.

My reason, so many SILVER CARS! XUV300, Alturas, Marazzo! That shade screams boring!

Auto shows are meant to be all glittery and blingy.

Hope sense prevails and Mahindra can one-up Tata in this sphere too as they did in building the safest car in India.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 17:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Im not saying this happened, but having worked for so many years in the Indian corporate space, I could see it having happened

May 2019
A big shot manager at Mahindra calls all the product heads for an important meeting.
"Good news, we are going to Auto Expo 2020 and we will showcase our new Scorpio and new Thar and new XUV300! As planned, all three are on track to be showcased. Our competition wont know what hit them. Come on boys, lets put on a great show in February."

November 2019
All the product heads at Mahindra call the big shot manager for an important meeting.
"Bad news sir, development of our 3 new SUVs are behind schedule, we may not be ready in time for Auto Expo."

"Nonsense, just work 7 days a week. The cars will be ready if you put in more work. All leaves cancelled."

January 2019
All the product heads at Mahindra call the big shot manager for an important meeting.
"Terrible news sir, the cars will definitely not be ready in time for the Auto Expo. What do we do?"

"Oh is it, hmmm we cant pull out of the show now because that would be embarassing. Lets do this, just take our junior design guys and give them 2 weeks to tart up our SUVs and put EV stickers on them. Nobody will know the difference. But be sure not to showcase concepts or sticker jobs that are too exciting or eye catching, all those forum warriors will love it and keep tweeting Big Boss to launch it. We cant afford that! Make them ugly instead, we dont want people to remember what they saw. We can barely get our existing products upgraded in time, imagine showcasing something new and exciting!"
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 20:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

But -

This is a new low for Mahindra.

Placing a petrol powered XUV 3OO with sticker job and fake gear levers as an EV concept. Shame that this is all they could come up with! Mahindra truly has wasted the Reva acquisition and allowed others like TATA Motors and MG to run away with the electric game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
I knew MahindraElectric is up to nasty stuff. The moment I saw the XUV300 EV photo, I had this gut feeling that its fake. I can't begin to explain how angry I'm right now. Gonna bash ME all over internet for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Mahindra must be really really annoyed at TBhp for this “I’ll report what I see” unbiased coverage of the obvious fraud they were trying to pull off with the eXUV300. No other media channel has reported this so openly, should I say so brazenly. Kudos to GTO and team. You literally caught them with their pants down.
Guys few things to clarify here. The eXUV300 was a concept. They never said it was a running prototype to be launched soon. These concepts at auto shows are many times just mocks that don't even have an engine.

Yes Mahindra could have put in a little more effort but right next to this car they had a cutout of their EV platform
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

MESMA stands for Mahindra Electric Scalable Modular Architecture. 350 stands for voltage of the entire system. MESMA 350 can support motor sizes from 60 kW to 280 kW:
Attachment 1966600

All components including the motor, the transmission, the electronics, is all built in-house at the Chakan plant. Only the battery cells are imported:
Attachment 1966599

There are different voltage levels under use. MESMA 48, a 48V system, is used in the Atom, while MESMA 350 is used in cars like the electric XUV300. MESMA 650 is used in electric buses:
Attachment 1966598
Quote:
MESMA stands for Mahindra Electric Scalable Modular Architecture. 350 stands for voltage of the entire system. MESMA 350 can support motor sizes from 60 kW to 280 kW:
This MESMA 350 was clearly an XUV300 going by the size and I'm pretty sure they have one under testing already.

Mahindra @ Auto Expo 2020-dsc00440-large.jpg

Mahindra @ Auto Expo 2020-dsc00438-large.jpg

Their small EV Atom was running around the entire expo entire day for the 3 days transporting people from the gate to halls. It was pretty cool.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 16:21   #22
BHPian

More Powerful XUV300 Sportz Edition Showcased

New 1.2TGDI - 130 PS, 230 NM

Source: https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...evealed/37311/
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra @ Auto Expo 2020-images-11.jpeg  

Old 10th February 2020, 14:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post

New 1.2TGDI - 130 PS, 230 NM

Source: https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...evealed/37311/
yes this is correct, apparently 130 ps petrol engine on the new sportz version, an article link on indian autosblog

https://indianautosblog.com/130-hp-m...6#lg=1&slide=8
Old 11th February 2020, 17:18   #24
BHPian

The new mStallion turbo-charged TGDi petrol engines will be offered with the XUV300, Marazzo, Thar, Scorpio and the XUV500 as well, showcased at 2020 Auto Expo

Source: Gaadiwaadi
Old 11th February 2020, 18:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post
Those are some really amazing numbers! Will be a hoot to drive for sure!

Those interiors look very gaudy though. Red trim looks extremely cheap. A more subtle and premium looking glossy black would have looked nicer.

Interesting times ahead. First the Nios 1.0 and then this!
Old 1st August 2021, 00:08   #26
BHPian

What a missed opportunity by Mahindra. If they had actively participated atleast in AutoExpo India, they could have done some justice to the designers who hardworked to bring their new generation cars. XUV & SCORPIO are extremely important for the future of Mahindra, they could have avoided today's messy leak.
Mahindra could have shown some confidence in their future line up, by displaying them in full glory atleast as tweaked concepts. I sincerely believe XUV is way better than the distorted leak we had today.

Mahindra never took AutoExpo seriously, only shown just few modified cars. Their strategy was to always give surprise to the competition, I guess it didn't work this time. Bad day for Mahindra PR team.

By the way future of AutoExpo is also distorted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks