Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:48   #166
BHPian

re: 2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The star of the TVC for me is these paddle shifters! If I am not mistaken no other SUV in this class has them.
Ecosport AT also have paddle shifters
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:55   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
Along with the exterior, the interiors also doesn't cut it for me. My Creta has gone for its 70,000 km service today and I am better off retaining the same car for another couple of years. I prefer to drive rather than fidget with features. The features could however translate into decent sales due to the younger generation. Let's see.
Ah, thank god I'm not alone in this feeling! Was starting to doubt myself. Exteriors were a big downer for me right when the iX25 broke covers.
The interiors structurally I am fine with. Quite neutral & practical. But who decided the upholstery design & colours I wonder. The seat upholstery actually looks aftermarket from factory. The aftermarket designers have their work cut out to make something aftermarket that beats this "stock aftermarket" look from Hyundai.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:07   #168
BHPian

After going through the launch details, specs and the fabulous interiors of Hyundai Creta, i was wondering what in the world is Tucson 2L MPi engine still doing in the updated 2020 Tucson. The entire line up of Tucson feels not worth even a penny higher compared to Creta.

Many would argue that I am comparing a segment higher car, but just compare 1.4 GDI Creata / Seltos GTX+ and Tucson GL(o) MPI version, Tucson is a waste of money, unless there is the 2.0 GDI coming here.

Well job done on the Creta, Seltos was "sher", Creata seems like "Sawa Sher"
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:07   #169
BHPian

Interiors look clean and premium. Specifications especially Engine offerings generate interest....... Wish I could say the same for the exterior design. (But No)
abhkop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:10   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Ecosport AT also have paddle shifters
The EcoSport is a segment below Creta owing to the under 4m rule. Hence, the Creta is the first in it's segment to receive the Paddle Shift.
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:14   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
The EcoSport is a segment below Creta owing to the under 4m rule. Hence, the Creta is the first in it's segment to receive the Paddle Shift.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/163154.jpg

Both belong to the C2 segment. Both are CSUV (Unless exact car length is a segment in itself).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:20   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/163154.jpg

Both belong to the C2 segment. Both are CSUV (Unless exact car length is a segment in itself).
Just because Creta and Ecosport are in C2 SUV, they cannot be compared. Do we compare Venue, WRV and Brezza with Creta?
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:44   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Just because Creta and Ecosport are in C2 SUV, they cannot be compared. Do we compare Venue, WRV and Brezza with Creta?
Technically Creta and Ecosport are in different category and Hynudai's claim is correct, however when a lower segment car is offering a feature and when you claim 1st in segment in a higher category car, it sounds cheap, no?
Claims aside, i think it is big enough feature and expect Hyundai to stress more in its sales pitch.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:31   #174
BHPian

For the market, I think the key and possibly only selling point over the Seltos would be the panoramic sunroof. THis alone is going to sell a lot of Cretas.

In India, car shopping is not done by the enthusiast running over the nuts and bolts, taking intense test drives...it is mostly pre decided based on what 'society' - in the sense what is the "In" status car for that segment.

A desultory test drive and done deal. Showroom visits are usually by the whole family.

In this context, it is the visually standout models and features that will sell.

In the next facelift, am 100% sure Seltos will also launch a panoramic sunroof.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:45   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
...In India, car shopping is not done by the enthusiast running over the nuts and bolts, taking intense test drives...it is mostly pre decided based on what 'society' - in the sense what is the "In" status car for that segment...

I think you are underestimating the Indian consumer
Few reasons why I think Creta will get better numbers than Seltos:
1. Established brand following
2. Proven car with proven history
3. Hyundai
4. Proven A.S.S
5. New car
6. Different looks (it can be polarizing but it is different)

Of course, the panoramic sun-roof and other things don't hurt either.

The sunroof is not exactly a required accessory. I use it in my Venue mostly (if at all) to let the light in, sometimes, when it is not hot. Haven't yet driven my car with the sunroof open.
Let's not generalize ... after all for all our collective "view" on the "ugly" S-Presso, it gets better numbers that most "good looking" cars
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:49   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Technically Creta and Ecosport are in different category and Hynudai's claim is correct, however when a lower segment car is offering a feature and when you claim 1st in segment in a higher category car, it sounds cheap, no?
Claims aside, i think it is big enough feature and expect Hyundai to stress more in its sales pitch.
The 3rd Generation Honda City released in 2009 had Paddle Shifters in the Petrol AT Model. The 4th Gen also has it. Now I understand the current gen Amaze also has it. So Paddle Shifters have been around in lower segments as well for a long time and in a C2 Sedan as well.

5 Budget Cars with Paddle Shifters in India: URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 4th March 2020 at 10:52.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:55   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Ah, thank god I'm not alone in this feeling! Was starting to doubt myself. Exteriors were a big downer for me right when the iX25 broke covers.
Not to forget, the weird looking steering wheel. Whatever happened to the classic three spoke wheel, I wonder. This one is such a weird design, and I just cannot get myself to digest it. I am sure the fit and finish will be good, but the overall aesthetics of this car, whether exterior looks or interior cockpit design, fails to float my boat in any way.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:56   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
In the next facelift, am 100% sure Seltos will also launch a panoramic sunroof.
I agree to all of what you said and this point in particular. I believe the strategy of which features goes to Creta and which goes to Seltos was jointly decided between Hyundai and Kia. And like you said the Seltos should get the Pano Sun Roof 3 years from now and the Creta should get the 360 Cam by then.

But despite the criss cross of features, I believe Hyundai will keep the Creta one up in terms of features to showcase it as a Premium and will not allow the Seltos to get equal in terms of features. In 3 years by the time of facelift, there would more features for Hyundai-Kia to play around with...
Old 4th March 2020, 11:41   #179
BHPian

The Tagline "Badass by Design" suits the Creta more. Its certainly bad with the headlamps and tail light moving to a near fog light position.

It takes a minute or two to realize where the lights and the grills are nowdays and a minute more to decide if you like the design or not.

Confusing designs are termed as funky
EuroMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:21   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I think you are underestimating the Indian consumer
Few reasons why I think Creta will get better numbers than Seltos:
1. Established brand following
2. Proven car with proven history
3. Hyundai
4. Proven A.S.S
5. New car
6. Different looks (it can be polarizing but it is different)
+1 to that.
These are the pointers which most of the customers look into while buying a car, especially in Tier3 cities.
Ofcourse there are a small amount of customers or enthusiasts who look beyond these.

For example, a few close relatives of mine have bought Brezza, eventhough they liked EcoSport, just for the availability of service centre in their small town and peace of mind.

Meanwhile,
If the pricing of creta is at agreeable range, then surely creta will sell like hot cakes(though many of us might not like the looks)

Hope Hyundai doesn't become greedy and mess up with the pricing.

P.S : Keeping a keen eye on this thread, since my brother and friend are looking forward to buy either the Seltos or the new Creta in a month or two
Closed Thread

Most Viewed