Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 20:31   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I have so far maintained that I hate the way the new Creta looks.

I won't be surprised if the pictures in the official review make me change my complete outlook on the looks of the Creta.
Yes, the perspective on GTO’s picture is striking and I have not seen it any of the media shots yet. The color combination is quite stunning. I have continued to maintain throughout this thread that the Creta is actually a very good looker, much better than the Seltos. The design is futuristic and will grown on then observer. It has many of the emerging design patterns such as deep straight creases on the back side of the car, triangular headlamp and tail lamp clusters with sheet metal running between etc.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 20:47   #632
Senior - BHPian

The Seltos from the rear on the non led taillights models look very plane jane. Almost MPV like. What I like about the Seltos is the sculpted front and rear bumpers. The designers on the Creta seem to have ran out of ideas and slapped dumb looking front and rear bumpers with horrible design.
Old 14th June 2020, 23:44   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any reviewer who tells you that the suspension is "soft" doesn't know what he's talking about. The tune is firm; liveable, but you always know what kind of road you are driving on and big bumps come in strongly to the cabin. Broken patches can get jarring. Due to the firmer, mature suspension, high speed manners are pretty sorted. Drove at high speed (petrol DCT is f-a-s-t) and the car didn't feel nervous at all. Great for highway warriors. Still, I do feel that the common man would've preferred the softer comfier setup of the 1st-gen Creta.

Attachment 2016769
As always, this is so perfectly put by GTO. Simply couldn’t agree more. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I could very well feel that the ride set-up is firmer compared to my 1st gen Creta. You can feel every single undulations inside the car. I simply wonder how is the ride quality of Seltos, as that is supposed to be a notch firmer than Creta.
And yeah, that 1.4L TURBO mated to the DCT!! That simply takes the cake.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th June 2020 at 21:22. Reason: Typo
ashvek3141 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 00:37   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Took the 2020 Creta out for my early morning weekend drive. Loved almost everything, save for the disastrous + ugly styling. Yuck looks, otherwise a well-engineered car. Any reviewer who tells you that the suspension is "soft" doesn't know what he's talking about. The tune is firm; liveable, but you always know what kind of road you are driving on and big bumps come in strongly to the cabin. Broken patches can get jarring. Due to the firmer, mature suspension, high speed manners are pretty sorted. Drove at high speed (petrol DCT is f-a-s-t) and the car didn't feel nervous at all. Great for highway warriors. Still, I do feel that the common man would've preferred the softer comfier setup of the 1st-gen Creta.

Attachment 2016769
This means the official review will be posted soon.

When can we expect it?

Eagerly waiting for it.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 06:59   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I simply wonder how is the ride quality of Seltos, as that is supposed to be a notch firmer then Creta.
And yeah, that 1.4L TURBO mated to the DCT!! That simply takes the cake.
The ride quality of Seltos is harsh. There has been times I have gone through potholes and it just doesn't sound right. Let the passengers cry while I enjoy. I blame the large 17inch wheel size but it's aesthetically pleasing. I wished for 18 inchers from the international market (not a good idea). Its not the most comfortable ride in the market but it's a well insulated cabin. What I like is the steering feel and feedback (switch to sports and it gives some weight and grip).

Slam on the gas and the traction control light pops up. It's a car eager to run. The engine does get audible when you put the car through sports mode where it stretches the gear duration further. You can even hear the Turbo if you open the window in a quite lane. The front part of the car lifts up if you launch the car from stop (wheelspin, yes). The transmission is smooth and quick. Do note its jerky between Reverse and 1st gear. If you keep driving at a low speed the car gets confused to either upshift or downshift.

The absence of paddle shifters is fine to me. Whenever you take control of the gears manually, it doesn't let you stay in the gear for long. It infact shifts the gear for you which defeats the purpose of shifting manually. Neither can you upshift or downshift at your will, you can only do it at a specific speed and rpm range. Never tried in any other car.

The entire GT badging is not of my taste. Especially when they never launched the car is bright red during the reveal .

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-img20190623wa0009.jpg
This was the color I wanted but they dropped it.

The car is not exactly fast when you compare it with other cars globally. Ofcourse in India I barely drive above 80km/hr. There are potholes at every few steps in Kolkata and my average speed here is roughly 45km/hr.

I'm sure Creta is much better in ride and comfort as it's best suited to most customers here.
momsonlydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 09:11   #636
Team-BHP Support

Are the paddle shifters there in the diesel AT as well or only the petrol DCT?

If I had to choose between the two, the only (but MAJOR) draw to me for the Creta over the Seltos are the paddle shifters. I REALLY want any car I drive to have paddle shifts (its a feature I'm just too used to since 2009 - when I bought my first AT - the Civic and the City AT too around the same time). So much so that I retrofitted a BMW M-Sports steering wheel on my 3 GT just to get the paddle shifters.

The pano sunroof is another welcome feature. But other than that the Seltos is clearly the one to buy, with its slightly better feel interior finish and much better looks (specially contrasted with the Hyundais overstyled design).

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th June 2020 at 09:13.
Old 15th June 2020, 10:56   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Took the 2020 Creta out for my early morning weekend drive. Loved almost everything, save for the disastrous + ugly styling. Yuck looks, otherwise a well-engineered car. Any reviewer who tells you that the suspension is "soft" doesn't know what he's talking about. The tune is firm; liveable, but you always know what kind of road you are driving on and big bumps come in strongly to the cabin. Broken patches can get jarring. Due to the firmer, mature suspension, high speed manners are pretty sorted. Drove at high speed (petrol DCT is f-a-s-t) and the car didn't feel nervous at all. Great for highway warriors. Still, I do feel that the common man would've preferred the softer comfier setup of the 1st-gen Creta.

Attachment 2016769

Looking forward to the official review.
Can you give a small teaser on how firm the ride is compared to the Seltos? I hope it’s softer.
Old 16th June 2020, 00:57   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Any reviewer who tells you that the suspension is "soft" doesn't know what he's talking about. The tune is firm; liveable, but you always know what kind of road you are driving on and big bumps come in strongly to the cabin. Broken patches can get jarring. Due to the firmer, mature suspension, high speed manners are pretty sorted. Still, I do feel that the common man would've preferred the softer comfier setup of the 1st-gen Creta.
All the reviews I have seen so far claim that the suspension setup of the new Creta is softer than the Seltos. If you find the tune firm, the Seltos would be an absolute nightmare to drive in Mumbai, given the road conditions.

It would be great to have your view and everybody else's too, on a dilemma I have.

I am in the market for a car with a budget of about 17 lakhs.

My driving is mostly limited to the city and the occasional highway trip takes place maybe once in six months. I have an annual usage of about 10,000 kilometres and would prefer a Petrol engine with a manual transmission.

The following points matter to me the most in the car I am looking to buy:

1) Ride Quality - I own a Honda City (2011 model) and not a day goes by without a complain from fellow passengers about the ride quality. Mumbai's road conditions are pathetic and I want a car I am comfortable in, not slowing down to turtle speeds over every small pothole and speed breaker.

My family members and I are not the lightest and I don't want my car scraping everytime I go over a speed breaker, adequate ground clearance is needed.

2) Safety - The ABS, ESC, airbags are a must. The City only has the ABS and 2 airbags, it is criminal IMO to buy a car ten years later that offer the same safety kit.

3) Features - I keep cars for long, usually for 10 years or more, so I don't want a car that feels dated in a couple of years due to missing features.
(Practical features take a lead over the more gimmicky ones, I would prefer an air purifier over a sunroof, cooled seats over a Bose audio system, etc.)

4) Space - Coming from the Honda City, I would like the car to have enough space, sub 4m SUV's are just too small. (I have an open mind, though)

5) The car should be able to go on highway runs, however rare they maybe.

6) Maintenance costs/Reliability - The Honda City is a good car in terms of maintenance, apart from regular service trips, I did not have any major problems.

My buy isn't very urgent and with this Corona pandemic, I am not sure when I will be making the purchase.
Keeping these points in mind, I was considering the Seltos and the Creta.

I dropped the Seltos due to the apparent stiffer ride and the lack of safety features in the model I can afford (HTX manual)

The Creta SX manual seems to fit my budget (16.80 lakhs OTR in Mumbai) and gives me more safety features than the Seltos and a relatively better ride quality, although I haven't had a chance to take a test drive yet.

I was also thinking about the Skoda Vision IN concept, Volkswagen Taigun and the Kia Sonet (smaller than the others but maybe a great package), these cars are still some time away from a launch, though.
I am not hell bent on an SUV, although I don't see a sedan fulfilling my criteria.

Any other cars that you think fit my criteria and budget, that I should consider?

Thanks.

Last edited by Vedant Gupta : 16th June 2020 at 01:06.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 10:19   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

If the ride quality is the most important thing, you could consider the newly re-launched Nissan Kicks Turbo CVT. I test drive the BSIV Kicks earlier this year, and I can honestly say it is absolutely the best in terms of ride quality among the current crop of compact and mid-Size SUVs. The Duster is equally good unsurprisingly given it is based on the same platform. However, the Duster looks too aged both inside and outside.The Kicks on the other hand has a really elegant and flowing interior and exterior design and it would be impossible to tell that the two vehicles are based on the same platform.

The 1.3 Turbo engine is supposed to be a cracker, having been co-developed with Mercedes and being introduced into the latest A class and GLA abroad. The manual transmission version seems to have a bit of a lag from early reviews, but the CVT should overcome this. Only drawback considering your requirements is the Kicks does not have 6 airbags.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th June 2020 at 10:22.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:13   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post
Any other cars that you think fit my criteria and budget, that I should consider?

Thanks.
I think you can have a look at the face lifted Verna SX(O).
Old 16th June 2020, 13:01   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
If the ride quality is the most important thing, you could consider the newly re-launched Nissan Kicks Turbo CVT. I test drive the BSIV Kicks earlier this year, and I can honestly say it is absolutely the best in terms of ride quality among the current crop of compact and mid-Size SUVs..
Thanks for replying.
I have not driven the Nissan Kicks but I have driven the Duster and liked the ride quality quite a lot.
What I don't like is the way the Kicks has been designed on the inside, the steering mounted controls are not on the steering and the overall interior design is too quirky for my taste.
Fuel efficiency of the car is reportedly not so great and the future of Nissan in India is a big question mark.
You must have also seen the new international version of the Kicks which has been launched recently, I don't know why they haven't launched that car in India yet.

Although I will get a test drive of the new 1.3 L turbo petrol engine and make up my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I think you can have a look at the face lifted Verna SX(O).
Thanks for replying.
Will consider this as an option.
Old 16th June 2020, 15:12   #642
BANNED

New Hyundai Creta receives 30,000 bookings - Link

55% of the total bookings for Hyundai Creta are attributed to diesel models.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 15:15   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post
Thanks for replying.
I have not driven the Nissan Kicks but I have driven the Duster and liked the ride quality quite a lot.
What I don't like is the way the Kicks has been designed on the inside, the steering mounted controls are not on the steering and the overall interior design is too quirky for my taste.
Fuel efficiency of the car is reportedly not so great and the future of Nissan in India is a big question mark..

Thanks for replying.
Will consider this as an option.
As a former owner of the Duster, my view on the steering column mounted controls is that they are actually highly intuitive to use and in fact, "safer" If I may say so. Because you are not encumbered by the steering wheel position while trying to make changes to audio volume etc. All it requires is a tactile feel. Dont make it as a deal breaker.
I have heard that the fuel efficiency of the 13 Turbo Kicks is of a very high order. So you may want to test drive the car.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 16:17   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
New Hyundai Creta receives 30,000 bookings - Link

55% of the total bookings for Hyundai Creta are attributed to diesel models.
Now what would Maruti say? Their non chalant claims that the demand for diesels is dwindling is proving to be a cock and bull story. Time for another misleading ad I guess with tweaked math on the break-even period for diesels. So much for marketing.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 17:42   #645
BHPian

Having test driven the Creta DCT just to compare it with my Seltos DCT, I can assure you the fact that the Seltos has a firmer ride and the difference between the two is easily observed. With my Seltos DCT, I have to slow down upon undulations and potholes and every bump is filtered into the cabin.

The ride on the Creta is cushioned, but is firmer than the older gen. To put things into perspective, the difference would be night and day for those comparing the old Creta with the new one. This one does not bounce or feel unsettled like the older one.

Steering feel is better in the Seltos with more heft and you feel relatively better connected with the wheel.
I couldn't experiment much with the paddle shifters, but what I find irritating about the DCT in both cars is the fact that the engine revs are mated to particular rpms and do not hold as long as you'd like it to redline on the M mode and D-Bhpian Momsonlydriver confirms it as well. AMTs and the Polo DSGs on the other hand allows one to rev up to glory on M mode. Strange.
advenk999 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed