Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 18:00   #646

Re: 2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs

I think 360 degree camera and telescopic steering are sore misses in Creta 2020 in terms of functional features, that the Seltos has. I would any day prefer those useful features instead of paddle shifters, panoramic sunroof which are not so useful in the real world.

The Seltos for those reasons, including a slightly more premium interior and better steeering wheel, seems to be a better driver's car than Creta. The Creta seems better for the backseat passengers (read more comfortable seats, pano sunroof).
Old 16th June 2020, 19:02   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Now what would Maruti say? Their non chalant claims that the demand for diesels is dwindling is proving to be a cock and bull story. Time for another misleading ad I guess with tweaked math on the break-even period for diesels. So much for marketing.
Actually, this month last year the percentage of diesel Cretas was 68%, so Maruti is indeed correct when they say demand for diesels is dwindling. Source
chieftain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:22   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
Actually, this month last year the percentage of diesel Cretas was 68%, so Maruti is indeed correct when they say demand for diesels is dwindling. Source
Dwindling, may be, was a wrong word I've used. I was referring to Maruti's claim of almost zero demand for diesel cars these days. Lot of water has flown under the bridge then in 2018-19 and now.

My comment was in the context of this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4817442 (Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 16th June 2020 at 19:23.
Old 16th June 2020, 20:23   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Demand seems to have collapsed across the passenger cars sector, the dealer near my home claims that almost any lower variant (Petrol or Diesel) of the new Creta can be delivered in 10-14 days! This is unbelievable for a new launch, that too such a highly anticipated vehicle. It could also be possible that the car is too expensive for the current market conditions and new car buyers are gravitating to the lower price segments including cars such as the Rapid Rider launched recently.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 21:13   #650
BHPian

I testdrove the new creta 1.5 SX IVT petrol today. Below are my observations;

Looks: Don't know if it's because the design has grown on me or what, but the car looked 'OK' in the flesh. The front with the massive grille do provide some road presence. The car overall looks big and grown. Creta actually looks bigger than Seltos, even though the latter is bigger(slightly) in dimensions. The back side but appeared small to me when compared to the front side. Overall, ladies of the house preferred the Seltos design to the new Creta.

Interior: Feels spacious. Seats are really comfortable. Adequate lumbar and thigh support even at the rear. Rear legroom in creta is more than what the seltos offers. But the rear seat at centre is quite hard due to the foldable arm rest. Expect the person sitting at the middle complain about back pain after some time through the drive. The rear AC vent and tunnel felt a bit intruding too and there is no headrest for the middle passenger, giving him an overall feeling that he is almost unwelcomed. But for two persons at the back, its very comfortable. The panaromic sunroof gives an airy feeling even at the back. I haven't spent much time in old creta hence cant compare about the plastic quality but it felt OK. Only the matte finish around the AC control felt outdated to me. They should have given it a piano black finish for that upmarket look. Overall I prefer the seating comfort of the new Creta over the Seltos while I liked the dashboard design of the Seltos more.

Driving experience: I have testdriven both Seltos and Creta now and both cars had their instrument console disconnected. When asked about it both the SAs said the car was in shipment mode and they only connect it before registration. Felt odd, i suspected those were customer cars and declined the test-drive offer until they could provide me with demo cars, but they assured me both were company owned cars and I need not worry. Both were unregistered(on temporary registration)and the Seltos was even a pre 2020(GTX DCT:now discontinued) model hence assumed they were saying the truth and so went ahead with the test-drive. Is this the same everywhere?
Now coming back to the driving experience, it felt partial because I couldn't get any speed or RPM information from the disconnected console. Nevertheless I took the testdrive and the 1.5L pertrol+IVT combination felt clearly like an average performer. Overtakes need to be clearly planned in advance and the gearbox felt like it takes its own sweet time to upshift or downshift on giving power throttle (characterestic CVT performance I assume). Manual mode do help in some situations. Couldn't try the various drive modes as the console was disconnected, hence cannot comment. And also did the steering feel a bit heavy for anyone else? I found it a bit heavy than i expected. I suspect the car would have been in sport mode(couldn't verify without the console), SA said it would feel lighter after connecting the console.
Any ways it felt heavier than Seltos in normal mode and except for the heaftiness it felt almost like any other Hyundai steering.
The suspension is stiff and there is no doubt about it. You feel every undulations inside, but the body roll isn't as controlled as the Seltos either. Felt more like a calm highway cruiser.
NVH is well controlled except when driven hard. Then there is quite some engine noise coming into the car. Seltos DCT felt a little less noisy on hard acceleration. Haven't experienced the Seltos IVT though.

After the test drive i felt like I should give the Seltos diesel automatic a try before finalising between the two. IVT is dropped from my list and I am not comfortable with the reliability factor of DCT, the only choice I am left with is diesel automatic of the two.

On the side note, on close inspection, I do felt some sharp edge/alignment mismatch of body panels on the new Creta. One at the front where the body meets the top piece of headlight DRL. Other on the side silver panel that runs through the top of the doors to the C pillar. There is a joint near top of the rear door on this piece and there was a noticeable mismatch in alighnment between the two pieces. Doesn't know if its only present in this particular test-drive vehicle, but on a vehicle with a dark shade of colour and on which that silver piece is highlighted, this misalignment felt like a sore thump.

Last edited by blueeyed : 16th June 2020 at 21:17.
blueeyed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 21:13   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
, the dealer near my home claims that almost any lower variant (Petrol or Diesel) of the new Creta can be delivered in 10-14 days! This is unbelievable for a new launch, that too such a highly anticipated vehicle.
Remember the Creta launch was delayed a lot. Rumor was that Hyundai had plenty of stock manufactured pre launch as the launch was delayed and that is why they have no long waiting period. Seltos on the other hand has seen its waiting period drop from 2 months to 1 or 2 weeks for any variant except HTE.
Old 16th June 2020, 21:49   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Demand seems to have collapsed across the passenger cars sector, the dealer near my home claims that almost any lower variant (Petrol or Diesel) of the new Creta can be delivered in 10-14 days! This is unbelievable for a new launch, that too such a highly anticipated vehicle. It could also be possible that the car is too expensive for the current market conditions and new car buyers are gravitating to the lower price segments including cars such as the Rapid Rider launched recently.
I had a word with both Kia & Hyundai dealers, the Petrol AT variants are not in stock irrespective of it being the IVT or DCT. Both requires 45 - 60 days for delivery.
Old 17th June 2020, 16:24   #653
Senior - BHPian

Saw a what appeared like a black Creta. Must admit Hyundai has hit out of the park when it comes design. Creta might be love it or hate it design, but is attention grabber. Seltos looks a generation older now, especially from the rear. I am sure millennials will give a big thumbs up to the Creta. From the back Creta looks a lot more premium than it is.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th June 2020 at 16:48. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:20   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
I testdrove the new creta 1.5 SX IVT petrol today. Below are my observations;

Driving experience: I have testdriven both Seltos and Creta now and both cars had their instrument console disconnected. When asked about it both the SAs said the car was in shipment mode and they only connect it before registration.
Now coming back to the driving experience, it felt partial
Slightly OT, but somehow I feel this is a downright dangerous and perhaps illegal practice. You cannot allow a vehicle to be test driven by a regular license holder with a non-functional instrument console, no matter what may be the considerations. This is different from a malfunctional console, which needs to be repaired.
They do it for 2 wheeler test drives which is bad enough. And these are large, 100 bhp plus machines, not a Bajaj Qute or Tata Nano.

I think some regulations need to be established for test driving vehicles.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 17th June 2020 at 20:22.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 13:07   #655
BHPian

Walkaround of the new Creta diesel E variant:

JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 13:49   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a quick look at the Hyundai Creta at the nearby showroom. Did not go for a test drive since they had only the Turbo Petrol variant available for test drives and I was interested in the base Diesel variant as a replacement for my 7 year old Ecosport TDCI as a city run-about car. The Diesel E Variant is surprisingly good value considering it does not compromise on most essentials except an audio system which can be installed easily aftermarket. Some initial impressions:
  • The car looks impressive from most angles. It has plenty of presence and won't be lost in a crowd, even if the crowd will soon have a substantial number of Cretas!
  • The paint quality is very good. It is clearly better than all Toyota, Honda and earlier Ford cars and approaching the quality levels of VW. Ford has improved paint quality in the new lot of Ecosports' especially the top end S variants to an even higher level.
  • The doors are pretty light, and there is no hint of a thud or even a small thump. The Ecosport and Jeep Compass are definitely way more heavy doors and sheet-metal.
  • Overall fit and finish of body panels is excellent. Could not see anything out of place int he display vehicle.
  • The Dash finish - Although made of hard plastics it is hard to guess it is low rent. One has to actually tap to find out how hard they are. Hyundai has perfected the art of making materials appear to he higher in quality than they actually are.
  • Bottle holders at the rear are tiny, one can hardly keep 500 ml bottles there. Could have been larger given the rear seat is bound to be used frequently.
  • Padding on the elbow rests on doors could have been thicker. It is not uncomfortable but can start to be so on long journeys. The Ecosport has much thicker padding.
  • The seating position is spot on, no "Left knee fouling with center Console" problem as observed in the Tata Harrier. I am 6'2" and there if sufficient headroom (about an inch) between the top of my head and the bottom of the sunroof, even with the front seat set to a high position. The seat support is adequate and firm, however, the side bolstering is provided keeping in mind folks with a large frame, The seat does not hug me as much as the Ecosport's seats do. But then, many have complained that the Ecosport's seats are too narrow.
  • Good amount of length-wise adjustment available for the front seats and they go quite a way back. Perfect for tall drivers.
  • The steering wheel is a delightful to hold. It is a bit quirky in terms of design but like everything else about the new Creta, I think this grows on people too.
  • The back seats are comfortable but the space is not lavish. It is better than my Ecosport, but I somehow expected more given the larger dimensions of the new Creta.
  • I have fallen for the design of the rear. It is geometrically elegant, the strong crease running across gives the car quite a character and blends really well with the triangular tail lamps cluster.
  • The boot seems quite spacious and the car should be adequate for a small family going on a long outstation trip or a large family going for a short one!
Overall, I felt this is way superior product tot he old Creta. I never likes the looks of the old - it seemed to have no character or personality. The new one starts to erase that and at least from the sides and the rear, it manages to look classy. The front cascading grill is still overdone in my mind and I cannot fully get over it - it shrinks on me rather than grown on me like everything else about the new Creta.

Few pics attached. Pictures are of the SX(O) Turbo-Pertol variant, the only one on display in the showroom.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-9.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-8.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-7.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-6.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-5.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-4.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-3.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-2.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29-1.jpeg  

2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200618-13.18.29.jpeg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 18th June 2020 at 14:07.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:29   #657
BHPian

Detailed Turbo-petrol review
[/quote]

Left foot on the brake, right foot on the accelerator!
That was one of the weirdest "media video car reviews" ever!
And to top it all his tongue was in turbo 9 transmission throughout.
Zen2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:44   #658
Senior - BHPian

Turbo Petrol Review by CarandBike

https://www.carandbike.com/reviews/2...review-2248356
Old 18th June 2020, 18:52   #659
BHPian

Today I saw the new Creta (black) in flesh. It's alittle weird to look at but I got used to it being on the road. I wouldn't mind owning the new Creta. At first I had mistaken it for a venue. Ironically the car was being driven next to a Venue. People will for sure give a head turn to the new kid in the block. Especially the busy rear!
Old 18th June 2020, 21:31   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
I think they need to re-verify some facts they are saying the silver part on the roofline is not standard and also the boot space has decreased by 42 litres compared to the previous generation.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed