Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 21:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: 2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs

The front grille reminds me of the Hindustan Motors Ambassador. I'd like to see someone photoshop the classic round headlights on this car.
Old 7th February 2020, 22:50   #47
BHPian

This car is going to be a "Kalank" on automotive design. Just like the movie this might be a big flop. On the other hand if Maruti had designed this, people would have bought it blindfolded. Bring back the Fluidic design Hyundai..
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 23:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
I think the weird design language is indicative of an underlying strategy to promote the premium (and more profitable) Seltos over VFM Creta.
If that's the case, why would Hyundai bother spending on a facelift. Seltos is doing quite well without any help from it's cousin. Just reap profits from both cars. A new look which is this polarizing, if made just to push Seltos, will ultimately hamper Hyundai's revenue because Seltos can't replace Creta 1:1.
Old 8th February 2020, 00:17   #49
BANNED

Public opinion on the looks of new Creta vs old Creta:

Last edited by wheelguy : 8th February 2020 at 00:19.
Old 8th February 2020, 08:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Public opinion on the looks of new Creta vs old Creta:

[/center]
Wait what? How does not being an enthusiast make a person blind too? I mean, I can understand if the mass-segment-average-car-buyer does not find the difference in handling between a Ford or a Hyundai. But how can they blatantly call this the better design over the previous Creta? Pratap Bose would be offended when people look at this, and say looks like the Harrier! Oh well come on guys.

How are most of the team-bhpians feeling the same way (repulsive) about the new Creta's design, while the rest of India is 'excited' about the same design ?
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 08:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Pratap Bose would be offended when people look at this, and say looks like the Harrier! Oh well come on guys.
Oh come on, not this again.. as I've said before, Hyundai was the first to come up with the DRL at eye level and headlights below design 1 year before Harrier with the Kona and Santa Fe (Citroën did it 5 years ago though). If anything Pratap Bose clearly copied and not vice versa.

As for the present looks of Creta, I've to admit I like it way, way better than the dull, absolutely boring present gen Creta, this looks so much more modern and upmarket, the boxy shape notwithstanding. Never liked Creta design from the start, but this new gen is definitely an improvement in the right direction.

The Aura is a disaster in terms of design but this surely is not. I'd say once when people get used to it it'll stand out from the rest and push the scope of design further. I like it in black, the weird contrasting pillar line needs to be wrapped in black as well.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 09:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Oh come on, not this again.. as I've said before, Hyundai was the first to come up with the DRL at eye level and headlights below design 1 year before Harrier with the Kona and Santa Fe (Citroën did it 5 years ago though). If anything Pratap Bose clearly copied and not vice versa.
My point was certainly not about who copied who, but this soft design is no match to the butch SUV stance and design of the Harrier. Well, of course everyone is entitled for their own opinion, but the popular opinion on team-bhp is that the new Creta's design ain't in the same league as that of the Harrier.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 09:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai will get away with this new design language! I mean, the Venue is even less cohesive in terms of design and that has found acceptability!
However, I think Hyundai missed a huge advantage over the Seltos by not bringing in the massive HU like the ix25 in China. That would have been a big differentiator between the Seltos and the New Creta. With no such added feature and almost the same engine and gearbox combinations, its hard to see why the Creta will beat the Seltos in numbers. Only reason could be the wider distribution network of Hyundai, else the Seltos has most things covered.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 10:05   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well, of course everyone is entitled for their own opinion, but the popular opinion on team-bhp is that the new Creta's design ain't in the same league as that of the Harrier.
I don't know much about Tata cars, but simply by googling specs, it's obvious that Harrier is a full size above Creta, so the comparison itself is unfair.

When we bring Tucson onto the comparison then it's clear what will win easily, though I must admit the Harrier is a LOT of car for the money while the Hyundais are priced at a premium for the global products and brand that they are. Tata will win as a product purely for the asking price though they have the worst lineup of auto gearboxes (except Hexa) and their long term reliability is a wait & watch game. Something the Koreans are #1 at now.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 10:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know much about Tata cars, but simply by googling specs, it's obvious that Harrier is a full size above Creta, so the comparison itself is unfair.
Precisely my point. I think you missed the video I quoted in the original post when I was bringing the Harrier in - few of the visitors at the Auto Expo had commented that the new Creta is like the Harrier. And I was pointing out how the common man sees that way, while us Team-bhp folks seem to agree that the Harrier is far better 'in terms of styling' to this new soft -looking Creta.

We better stop here, without diverging from the Creta discussion any further.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 10:49   #56
BHPian

Hyundai started off making ugly ducklings like the first Santro, Terracan, Sonata, etc. Then they suddenly transformed into a beautiful swan like with their fluidic design language of the Verna, the gorgeous 1st gen fluidic Elantra and the later Tuscon. It was stunning to see their transformation as at one point they had the best designed car line up in India.

And if someone could still screw up those designs, Hyundai managed to do that with the updates of the very above cars.

And now with the latest version of Creta they have hit another low. Looking like the blasphemous offspring of Hyundai's original quirkiness and Chinese mass design demands, it's like the marriage partner you wouldn't marry for looks and hope that those looks eventually grow on you.

One one hand we have designers like Pratap Bose who are setting the Indian Car design scene on fire and on the other hand we have this.

Thank God we have the Seltos as an alternative to those who like everything South Korean!
Flash777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 10:56   #57
BANNED

Quote:
When we bring Tucson onto the comparison then it's clear what will win easily, though I must admit the Harrier is a LOT of car for the money while the Hyundais are priced at a premium for the global products and brand that they are. Tata will win as a product purely for the asking price though they have the worst lineup of auto gearboxes (except Hexa) and their long term reliability is a wait & watch game. Something the Koreans are #1 at now.
Hyundai Tucson and Tata Harrier are using same autobox.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 12:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai Tucson and Tata Harrier are using same autobox.

Nope. TATA is using the 6 speed AT for Harrier which was used in the previous Tucson. Now Tuscon gets the 8 speed AT which is seen in the Carnival.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 8th February 2020 at 12:05.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 12:09   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

Nope. TATA is using the 6 speed AT for Harrier which was used in the previous Tucson. Now Tuscon gets the 8 speed AT which is seen in the Carnival.
Don't know that, thanks. Is the Hyundai's 6 speed AT used in Harrier AT version is unreliable or is it drab? Does it have any known issues in pre-facelift Tucson? Anyways both the transmissions are from Hyundai is what I am saying.

Last edited by wheelguy : 8th February 2020 at 12:20.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 13:50   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Don't know that, thanks. Is the Hyundai's 6 speed AT used in Harrier AT version is unreliable or is it drab? Does it have any known issues in pre-facelift Tucson? Anyways both the transmissions are from Hyundai is what I am saying.
AT variants of the Creta, Verna uses the same 6-speed auto transmission (Torque Converter) as the earlier generation Tucson which now is used by the Harrier too.

Haven't heard any major issues with the torque converter. Just that is slightly on the slower side (gear shifting time I mean).
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks