Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2020, 07:20   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs

The alloys look smashing. Good choice there. I like Creta in all dark colours, starting with yours and the black, of course. If they display this new shade there will be more takers. But there is also a downside to a unique shade; colour match in case anything happens to the paint. But it's looking great, congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romzy View Post
But this is the Deep Forest in a somewhat natural surrounding. And got the Diamond-cut alloys instead of the default Gun-metal ones.
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 10:16   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
You are spot on with Creta for the under 16 Lakh category. The additional safety tech is well worth over the not-so-important features in the Seltos.
Any guidance of what are the long term advantages of an IVT over a DCT (referring to the Petrol ? With both the variations (top end) being similarly priced (OTR Bangalore), one would also have to consider the Total Cost of Ownership.
Old 10th August 2020, 10:31   #843
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai sells those top end alloys for 11k a piece. Until last week Hyundai accessories had a discount and were selling it at 24k for 4(allegedly according to one owner who showed us his invoice).
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:33   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Hyundai sells those top end alloys for 11k a piece. Until last week Hyundai accessories had a discount and were selling it at 24k for 4(allegedly according to one owner who showed us his invoice).
You are right, I inquired from the SA yesterday and he was willing to take the stock gun metal alloys and fit the dual tone Diamond cut ones for the price of 24k.

Although I have heard that some dealerships are doing it as low as 20k.

Maybe the SA left room for negotiation with me.

MOD NOTE - Please proof read before submitting your post.
Thank You.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th August 2020 at 15:21. Reason: Mod note attached.
MotorHood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:36   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Any guidance of what are the long term advantages of an IVT over a DCT (referring to the Petrol ? With both the variations (top end) being similarly priced (OTR Bangalore), one would also have to consider the Total Cost of Ownership.
Well there is a difference of 1.3lakh as per carwale [DCT SX(o)@21.52 and IVT SX(o)@20.22 in Bangalore].
Choose DCT if you like:
1. Faster response from the car
2. Like to rev the car often
3. Go for long drives rather than drive within city traffic
4. Value performance over fuel efficiency

Choose IVT (or CVT) if you like:
1. Better fuel efficiency
2. Drive more in city
3. Are more sedate in driving

There are cases where DCTs have heated up (haven't faced that in my Venue even once) and people mention them as a negative. CVTs tend to have a rubber band effect and take time to get off the block compared to a DCT.

Drive both and check them out
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 12:06   #846
BHPian

Those are some great inputs @ValarMorghulis. Couple of follow up questions if I may:

1. Any input on long term maintenance of the DCT? (the heating issue is more short term/ sporadic). I like to keep my cars for 5+ years atleast.
2. Is DCT not suited to drive in the city traffic?
Old 10th August 2020, 13:00   #847
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post
Hello everyone.
I am looking to buy a compact SUV this year (I hope the pandemic is over by then). Ever since the launch of the Seltos and then the Creta, I have watched countless videos and read so many articles trying to zero in on a car.

I currently have a Honda City 2011 petrol manual. I like the car quite a lot but there a few issues that have always troubled me and my family.
The first would be the ride quality and the second would be the ground clearance, both problems become more pronounced with Bombay's roads. The technology in the car is quite dated and I need an update. I am going to stick with a petrol engine as I don't have a running of more than 10,000 km/year.
The car is used 95% of the time in the city and 5% of the time on highways.
Well, I have a Honda City 2012 model and to be honest with you, IVT of Creta and Seltos wont stand a chance against the superb i-Vtec of City which is a pleasure to drive on the highways. If you want want an upgrade in terms of performance go for 1.4 turbo engines of Seltos or Creta. But if you are more into sedate driving inside the city limits then you can go for the IVT models.
Old 10th August 2020, 13:48   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Couple of follow up questions if I may:

1. Any input on long term maintenance of the DCT? (the heating issue is more short term/ sporadic). I like to keep my cars for 5+ years atleast.
2. Is DCT not suited to drive in the city traffic?
1. Its really hard to answer the long term reliability of any gearbox, as it totally depends on your ownership and lets face it, some luck.
Make a habit of disengaging the clutch, by putting it in N, when you are in traffic. Go for timely maintenance. This should help you increasing the life your car.

2. Like I mentioned previously, make a habit to disengage the clutch it shouldnt be a problem.

About decision to buy IVT/ DCT
You need to ask yourself how much city vs how much highway drive you are going to do? And are you looking for a performance car?
If your requirement is to get a performance car which gives you a mix of convenience and fun (when you see an open stretch of road), then you have DCT.
If most of your driving is in City, that too Bangalore and you are fine with a linear engine - Save some money and go for IVT.
MotorHood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 14:49   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHood View Post
About decision to buy IVT/ DCT
You need to ask yourself how much city vs how much highway drive you are going to do? And are you looking for a performance car?
If your requirement is to get a performance car which gives you a mix of convenience and fun (when you see an open stretch of road), then you have DCT.
If most of your driving is in City, that too Bangalore and you are fine with a linear engine - Save some money and go for IVT.
Let me queer the pitch a bit. Most people won't be buying a 15-20 lac car just for one purpose (city or highway). Every one will want to drive out to a weekend destination once in a while. Now, the question that will bother someone is, for about 1.4 lac, would you have the peace of mind of a clean overtake or regularly stay within the performance limits and be part of the freight train which usually forms on busy single lane highways when a slow truck is trundling along in the front. You will regret not having spent that little bit extra to get some assured performance (which is also somewhat important from a safety margin standpoint in my opinion).

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 10th August 2020 at 14:51.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:19   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHood View Post
1. Its really hard to answer the long term reliability of any gearbox, as it totally depends on your ownership and lets face it, some luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Let me queer the pitch a bit.
Are you someone who needs the DCT quick gear shifts, extra power and all that, all the time versus the relatively slower gear shifts, slower acceleration and speed buildup in the IVT/CVT. It’s not as if the CVT would be standing still while the DCT would be flying.

It’s a choice between the peace of mind in the IVT/CVT gearbox, lower cost of purchase and maintenance versus the unpredictability of the DCT - heating issues, stories of unreliability, higher cost of purchase and maintenance.

I have used the CVT in the Honda City GXI for fourteen years and the Torque Converter in the Civic for ten years without any issues whatsoever. Multiple trips on highways/expressways without any issues, only difference with the Civic being, I always use the paddle shifters on highway/expressway drives.

It’s your choice, test drive both extensively and decide accordingly.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:34   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
It’s your choice, test drive both extensively and decide accordingly.

Cheers
Goes without saying. But the difference in pricing isnt huge, while the difference in performance seems perceptible.
Perhaps the high-spec IVT should be priced lower by about a lac or so. Then there would be a clear demarcation.This makes it instantly a good option for those who are in the conundrum of the City CVT vs Creta IVT. As things stand, charging 3 lac more than the City for same or slightly lower level of performance is a bit of an ask.
Old 10th August 2020, 16:54   #852
Senior - BHPian

Why isn't Hyundai/Kia offering iMT on lower variants? Would literally kill the aMT market in one go.
Old 10th August 2020, 17:28   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Goes without saying. But the difference in pricing isnt huge, while the difference in performance seems perceptible.
This makes it instantly a good option for those who are in the conundrum of the City CVT vs Creta IVT. As things stand, charging 3 lac more than the City for same or slightly lower level of performance is a bit of an ask.
When questions/clarifications are sought, there is nothing that goes without saying, everything needs to be said.

Difference in performance “perceptible” (as you say), means slightly noticeable, nothing more. Again, as I said in my earlier post, it’s peace of mind and slightly lower performance versus a perceptible (slightly noticeable) higher performance and the possible headaches with the DCT. The person spending the money has to choose his poison.

The City and the Creta are completely different propositions. The price difference to power ratio as a differentiator is a wrong perception. The ride/handling, in fact every parameter is incomparable between a sedan and let’s say a higher ground clearance vehicle like the Creta/Seltos. Honda with their City is not competing with the Creta/Seltos at all, different segments altogether, so a price comparison is null and void.

Nothing more to add from my side.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th August 2020 at 17:29.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 21:29   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
....It’s not as if the CVT would be standing still while the DCT would be flying.

Cheers
Spot on. Don't know why so much dislike against CVT? If I were in the market for Creta or Seltos, I would have gone for their IVT variant eyes closed. I am sure 0 to 100 run timings of DCT and CVT will be 1 to 1.5 second apart max. Does this really matter in real life? CVT gives absolute peace of mind.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 21:35   #855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teqhead View Post
Your car looks amazing with the colour and those alloys, as I said earlier if replacing the alloys to these is an option then one must take it.
Thanks Teqhead! Still wish I could get the Turbo in the same skin as you did!
As for the alloys, oh man - that almost didn't happen and am so glad that I waited!

I started asking around back in May and a lot of the showrooms said that while it was possible, they didn't have stock and that it would take time.
And a few days before the booking in June, the message came in that the Alloys were available, but for 55k! No buy-back was offered and when I pushed for it, the quote given was 35k and after a few phone calls, we agreed on 22k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
The turbo deserves these awesome set of wheels. God knows why Hyundai is not giving these on the turbo.
From where did you get those diamond cut alloys? How much did it cost for the swap?
Hyundai always had a knack for taking something away from the top-end models or limiting what comes with a top-end automatic; no Rear wiper on a 13 lakh Venue is a good example
Got these alloys from the same dealership with a 22k exchange offer - although you could probably bargain harder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The alloys look smashing. Good choice there. I like Creta in all dark colours, starting with yours and the black, of course. If they display this new shade there will be more takers. But there is also a downside to a unique shade; colour match in case anything happens to the paint. But it's looking great, congratulations!
Thanks! And to be fair, the Creta does look good in Silver too!
But I do agree that the alloys do help accentuate the look!

And lets hope nothing happens to the paint *fingers crossed*
Romzy is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed