Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 21:57   #916

Re: 2nd-Gen Hyundai Creta @ Auto Expo 2020. Edit: Launched at 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
Cross posting my Q here too. This thread is quite active and I was keen to get feedback from more folks.

I'm closing down on the new Creta. The extra space will be a welcome change from our existing sedan.

I was concerned about the large panoramic sunroof - build quality, leaks, heating, motor issues etc. As nice as it looks, it is still a 'first-of-its-segment' sort of thing and it's worth knowing from past experiences and Hyundai's confidence in this new feature.

I had some initial concerns of my own and the group here will have additional thoughts. What is this groups take on some of these concerns?

1. Metal vs Glass Strength: Worst case scenario - incase of an accident - is rooftop metal better able to protect the folks inside the car? Or is this sunroof glass toughened to absorb some impact?

2. Is the glass shatter proof like the windshield?

3. Mechanics: The roof now has moving parts. How good is the motor which drives the sunroof? In my Vento, I was stuck on a long drive with an electronic window which wouldnt roll up. We had to drive through hot weather for hours before we found a mech who would fix it.

4. Leakproof: This is perhaps my biggest concern. I didn't find the word 'leakproof' in Hyundai's Creta site. How good are those rubber seals to begin with? And how good will those rubber seals be after they age?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Anand
Hi Anand,

I am no expert on these questions, but my first instinct also asked pretty much the same question. So here are 2 cents -

1. Addition of a new feature shouldnt put life of the riders at risk. So when a feature like Sunroof is added, the metal shell of the car goes through certain tweaks in terms of its strength.

2. The glass of the sunroof quite strong, just like the windshield. I am not sure if its toughened/ exactly same strength. Ofcourse if a coconut falls over it from a height, its glass at the end of the day.

3. This is going to be wait and watch game really. Hyundai uses fairly good quality stuff in its products, so I wouldnt worry about it. Worst case scenario, if your car is one of the unlucky units which has some issue with the motor, Hyundai's A.S.S. is pretty prompt.

4. Creta is selling in good numbers and India is receiving heavy rainfall in multiple parts of the country. Lets wait and see if we see something in news/ social media. I am already a Hyundai customer, so I trust them with quality they offer. Cant comment on the long term age of rubber seals though.

Creta is a big name in Indian SUV brand and Hyundai boasts it being the Utimate SUV. I am sure that Hyundai will be extra cautious with this product in particular and wouldnt compromise with anything put on it.

Fellow BHPian can add more/ correct me if my understanding on the matter is not right
MotorHood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 23:19   #917
BHPian

Quote:
I was concerned about the large panoramic sunroof - build quality, leaks, heating, motor issues etc. As nice as it looks, it is still a 'first-of-its-segment' sort of thing and it's worth knowing from past experiences and Hyundai's confidence in this new feature.
Hi Anand,

1) Structural engineers take care of the reduction in strength due to this glass panel by changes in design, reinforcements, materials etc. You don't have to worry too much about this. Most crash tests include front and side impacts, which are usually not affected by a sunroof. In cases of the car rolling over, there are some obvious problems associated with a glass panel as opposed to a steel structure.

2) The glass is definitely strengthened and can be compared to a windshield although it can crack under a strong blunt force.

3) The mechanics associated with having a sunroof definitely complicate things. They can breakdown. While I cannot comment on the specific motor that Hyundai has used, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

4) Again, the rubber seals used are usually high quality (windshield quality). Leaking is usually seen in aftermarket fitment of sunroofs (a strict no-no due to both safety and quality reasons). This is not to say that the OEM sunroof may not leak but the chances are slim.

On the whole, is a car with no sunroof safer than the same car with a sunroof, I think the answer is yes.
Although the safety levels of a car with a factory fitted sunroof is within safe limits due to extensive tests and engineering design conditions.

The other points you should consider are:
1) The heat that is generated because of this sunroof, especially a panaromic one. While a part of the radiation is blocked because of the darkened glass, some heat definitely enters the cabin.

2) The sunroof needs maintenance, especially if you have an open parking spot due to bird droppings, etc.

Overall, a sunroof looks really cool and the demand for them is only growing. Practically it doesn't make a lot of sense, especially in India. You have to weigh the benefits against the potential downsides although, almost all cars in this segment have them (Seltos, Creta, Harrier and Hector).

Don't make it a major sticking point though

Last edited by manson : 26th August 2020 at 18:05. Reason: Typo.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 23:30   #918
BHPian

Quote:
4. Leakproof: This is perhaps my biggest concern. I didn't find the word 'leakproof' in Hyundai's Creta site. How good are those rubber seals to begin with? And how good will those rubber seals be after they age?
As far as waterproofing is concerned, extensively tested in this rainy season...one of the pics is here.https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...abd340505.jpeg

There is no leakage/seepage/perspiration etc so far, infact I had to park it in open rains for one night. Plus got the roof pressure washed as well because of bird droppings so nothing to worry on that front.
The quality of sunroof is also quite well as I could feel the sturdy glass and I have seen sunroofs of Audi and Volkswagen. Its not inferior at all.

Last edited by manson : 26th August 2020 at 18:06. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Teqhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 00:13   #919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
i have to say that the Hyundai designers do know a thing or two about designs that kind of grow on you to the point that they start becoming stunners. It is such an eye catching design on the road.
In black this is a gorgeous car, at night it looks like a baby Palisade, much bigger than it is. Hyundai has been a design icon in India for as long as I know :

- The tallboy Santro
- India's first superhatch Getz
- Accent Viva
- First mega suvs Tucson and Terracan with unique looks
- Elite i20 with it's high end appearance (saw a Cooper and Elite parked together and the Elite hangs in there with the big boys despite the price difference) if Audi had designed such a car and named it A1 and put a 1.4 engine in it, the price would be 30+ lacs.
- Santa Fe with the storm edge design
- Sonata with the fluidic sculpture which still looks like an expensive machine today minus the overdone looks. It's almost as good/comfortable as a modern Lexus.

Though I still hate the rear (which the black hides to an extent), I said long ago that Creta will take the fight with Seltos and come out on top. It's a design icon in every other sense, I personally don't care for sunroof or tech and paddle-shifters I'm sure will work in the usual Hyundai manner which is to say slow, unresponsive and flat, would love to hear otherwise though.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 17:16   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romzy View Post
Firstly, congratulations and wishing you many happy memories!

Regarding the wireless charging, I presume you've confirmed that the Wireless Charging option is enabled?!

To check -
1. Go to Settings
2. Select Vehicle
3. Under Vehicle Settings, look for Convenience and on the right, the Wireless Charging system should be checked.
Thanks, tried this, the option was selected by default, hence turned it off and turned it on again and it started charging the phone. Same thing happened with the ORVM welcome function, I was wondering why it doesnt work, turns out that we have to tuirn it on from the settings in the convinence option.

The FM radio reception is not great. Have other Creta owners faced the same. I had never faced this issue in my earlier car in Mumbai. Could it be an issue with the antenna? On BT audio the songs play really nicely and I do not miss the Bose system yet.

While the internal parts feel solidly built and there is no creaking from anywhere in and around the dashboard, there is a minor observation in the, closing of the driver side window, when the glass closes fully, the door moves a bit to the outside, very very slightly about less than 1 mm, but it moves. I checkd with 2 other Cretas at the dealership, same behavior. Can other owners check whether it is there in thier Creta also, otherwise will take this up during service.

I have driven about 150 kms in Mumbai in medium traffic and havent pushed the car the way I used to push my earlier car as this is still new. I am getting a mileage of 7.8 kmpl as per MID for the aggregate drive which I think is fine for the engine and car in Mumbai.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 22:24   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Thanks, tried this, the option was selected by default, hence turned it off and turned it on again and it started charging the phone. Same thing happened with the ORVM welcome function, I was wondering why it doesnt work, turns out that we have to tuirn it on from the settings in the convinence option.

The FM radio reception is not great. Have other Creta owners faced the same. I had never faced this issue in my earlier car in Mumbai. Could it be an issue with the antenna? On BT audio the songs play really nicely and I do not miss the Bose system yet.

While the internal parts feel solidly built and there is no creaking from anywhere in and around the dashboard, there is a minor observation in the, closing of the driver side window, when the glass closes fully, the door moves a bit to the outside, very very slightly about less than 1 mm, but it moves. I checkd with 2 other Cretas at the dealership, same behavior. Can other owners check whether it is there in thier Creta also, otherwise will take this up during service.

I have driven about 150 kms in Mumbai in medium traffic and havent pushed the car the way I used to push my earlier car as this is still new. I am getting a mileage of 7.8 kmpl as per MID for the aggregate drive which I think is fine for the engine and car in Mumbai.
I have also noticed if FM reception is weak, the noise level increases considerably as compared to other cars like my Brio, which has superb reception even if signal is weak. But the clarity is top notch on those channels which have better signal reception, then its difficult to differentiate between BT audio or FM.

Regarding the door movement or rather the body cladding/frame movement, I also observed same but its less than 1mm and only occurs when the window is closed from fully down position. If I close it from mid way, the door doesn’t move. I observed this in other cretas as well.

Turbo engine will give 8-10 kmpl in city driving as per reviews. The CRDi is giving 12-14 kmpl in city and it increases quickly as soon as I find empty road. On highways I am getting 20-21 kmpl regularly in comfort mode.
Teqhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 22:33   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
I can confirm that this issue is seen in the 1st-gen Creta's too albeit a little less prominent then the 2nd-gens. This point to me was very much noticeable, first in the Venue and then in the 2nd-gen Creta.
Ideally, it should have been the reverse, i.e. should have been better controlled in the 2nd-gen. But rest assured, this will not cause any rattles or any form of squeaks in the long run. Been using the 1st-gen Creta for 5 years now, and not a single rattle till date, except that stupid rear parcel tray that needs some kinda jugaad patch work to stop annoying rattles while going over bumps / potholes.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 26th August 2020 at 22:36.
ashvek3141 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 01:20   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
In black this is a gorgeous car, at night it looks like a baby Palisade, much bigger than it is. Hyundai has been a design icon in India for as long as I know :

- The tallboy Santro
- India's first superhatch Getz
- Accent Viva
- First mega suvs Tucson and Terracan with unique looks
- Elite i20 with it's high end appearance (saw a Cooper and Elite parked together and the Elite hangs in there with the big boys despite the price difference) if Audi had designed such a car and named it A1 and put a 1.4 engine in it, the price would be 30+ lacs.
- Santa Fe with the storm edge design
- Sonata with the fluidic sculpture which still looks like an expensive machine today minus the overdone looks. It's almost as good/comfortable as a modern Lexus.

Though I still hate the rear (which the black hides to an extent), I said long ago that Creta will take the fight with Seltos and come out on top. It's a design icon in every other sense, I personally don't care for sunroof or tech and paddle-shifters I'm sure will work in the usual Hyundai manner which is to say slow, unresponsive and flat, would love to hear otherwise though.
I would pick the Santro and the current Creta from your list. The others were actually pleasant to look at from the get go. However I get your drift and you are right. Hyundai did always have a definitive theme to the designs of all your cars.

Unlike you, I frankly couldn't stomach the design at first. But now it's growing on me! Review of the paddle shifters seem to be encouraging with the DCT much more smoother and less jerky that that in the Seltos.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 06:33   #924
BHPian

I have cancelled my Nexon EV booking, and am considering Creta SX(O). Please help me choose the variant:

My running will be 40 km round-trip to office in Pune.

Diesel AT: Dropped because mileage is only 2kmpl more than petrol IVT. So doesn't justify the cost

Petrol DCT: Don't want to pay premium for performance.

Petrol IVT: Decent mileage on paper. Convenient in traffic.

Diesel Manual: Same price as petrol IVT. Very good FE.

I am currently tilted towards diesel manual. Although my running won't be above 1000km/month, I find it satisfying to get good FE. High cost will pinch once, high fuel spend will pinch every month. Am I being naive?
Old 27th August 2020, 07:10   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I have cancelled my Nexon EV booking, and am considering Creta SX(O). Please help me choose the variant.
I'd strongly suggest you go with an automatic. The marginal dip in fuel economy is totally worth the convenience it offers, especially in city traffic.

Between the TC and IVT, the TC is quite smooth in the city and will be a lot more fun on those occasional highway trips.

Test drive both variants if possible and then decide.

Cheers.
SedateMotorhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 13:24   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbshi View Post
Recently got EX model (P) in Titan grey.
Hi, your car looks amazing 😍!
What is the actual mileage you're getting on the petrol?

Congratulations on the car
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 14:00   #927
BHPian

Quote:
I have cancelled my Nexon EV booking, and am considering Creta SX(O). Please help me choose the variant:

My running will be 40 km round-trip to office in Pune.

Diesel AT: Dropped because mileage is only 2kmpl more than petrol IVT. So doesn't justify the cost

Petrol DCT: Don't want to pay premium for performance.

Petrol IVT: Decent mileage on paper. Convenient in traffic.

Diesel Manual: Same price as petrol IVT. Very good FE.

I am currently tilted towards diesel manual. Although my running won't be above 1000km/month, I find it satisfying to get good FE. High cost will pinch once, high fuel spend will pinch every month. Am I being naive?
I got the delivery of my Creta Diesel Automatic SX(O) last month and am happy that I went with the Automatic option. Yes, there is a slight dip in the mileage (as compared to manual) but that is a sacrifice I was ready to make over convenience and comfort.

Now since you have already ruled out the Petrol DCT, I won't say much but having driven a friend's Turbo automatic variant, the difference in power is quite noticeable and brings a smile to the face.

If your criteria is mileage then go ahead with the Diesel Auto and if it is power then Turbo Auto it is for you.
alen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 15:49   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alen View Post
I got the delivery of my Creta Diesel Automatic SX(O) last month and am happy that I went with the Automatic option. Yes, there is a slight dip in the mileage (as compared to manual) but that is a sacrifice I was ready to make over convenience and comfort.
Thanks. What mileage are you getting?

The cost for AT is two fold. Need to pay 1.6 lakh extra for purchase, and then additional about a thousand rupees per month on fuel. I have owned Ecosport AT, and it used to make me cry by giving 9 kmpl.

Since difference in ARAI mileage of petrol and diesel automatics is only 2 kmpl, I would prefer the petrol over diesel. Paying 20+ lakh for a car of this size really pinches :(

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 27th August 2020 at 15:57.
Old 27th August 2020, 15:55   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. What mileage are you getting?
I'm getting 14 km/l in the city. Planning to take a long drive in a few days. Will get to know the highway mileage then.

As for the 1.6L extra, as I mentioned I was willing to make that investment for some creature comfort. Especially since I like taking long road trips and an automatic is a boon for those.

Again, it all boils down to your usage and requirement.
alen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 17:55   #930

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
Hi, your car looks amazing 😍!
What is the actual mileage you're getting on the petrol?

Congratulations on the car
Thank you! As of now, I'm getting around 15-15.5 in city (1st service is done).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks