Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 13:15   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 1.3L Petrol @ Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
The mention of turbo petrol and spec sheet had me wondering if this duster would be a worthy replacement to my Linea Tjet if priced right. My Tjet is a 2014 model and low on running - just crossed 20k. Only reason to replace it is the lack of spares and good service centers going forward. What do you guys think. Would it be a worthwhile option.
If its the driving dynamics, handling & highway/ghat munching that you enjoyed with the TJet, then no. While a great handler, the Duster can never give you the same fun as a well made sedan. Its not just about the engine specifications. If you are addicted to the driving dynamics - I'd suggest sticking to a good sedan for next car. Also - while the engine may be new the car is quite old, we can't forget it. Since you stick with your cars for long enough - If I were you, I'd keep maintaining the Linea & saving up for an Octavia!

If you are looking for a versatile jack of all trades - the Duster can do it for you.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th February 2020 at 13:16.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Any word whether this engine will make its way into the Nissan Kicks? If AWD is not an option then I would also look at the Kicks.

For all those salivating at the mouth on reading power and torque figures, wait till it is actually sampled on the road. Remember the Ford EcoBoost.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:47   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
For all those salivating at the mouth on reading power and torque figures, wait till it is actually sampled on the road. Remember the Ford EcoBoost.
A very valid point. Also - I wonder what price strategy Renault will opt for it. A high power turbo charged petrol engine doesn't come too cheap. So it won't be a huge cost saving compared to the K9K. In recent past, petrol engine used to be cheaper to make & thus car was cheaper compared to diesel sibling.

If with this engine the car gets costly - customers might very easily pick lower powered but more contemporary cars in the segment. With newbies like Seltos, Creta & others to come Renault really has just 1 shot at it. Slight misjudgment and it will be another Captur.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Most manufacturers give us old wine in new bottle. Renault is giving us new wine in old bottle. If only they had gotten new bottle here, too. New BHP/torque numbers should make it the fastest among all SUVs south of 25 L, in spite of CVT. Will this be Polo TSI of mini-SUVs?

Hope Nissan Kicks gets same engine and CVT. That car deserves to do much better than is doing.
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 09:02   #50
BHPian

It’s interesting to see this product at this time! I am waiting for Renault strategy post April, Duster is a really good car with good pricing, people who don’t need all the gizmos would prefer this over Creta/Seltos any day. Hope they have good plans with the BS6 norms kicking in. In fact they should have planned a new product for India with BS6 start, maybe a Renault

Last edited by firstdrive : 20th February 2020 at 09:32. Reason: Missed to mention the product name at very end
Old 27th February 2020, 10:05   #51
BANNED

The key question still remains unanaswered:

When will it hit the roads? If ever.
Old 27th February 2020, 10:42   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

My recent encounter XUV3OO petrol made me change my mind about turbo petrol engines, This XUV is pretty large and heavy for a sub4m and yet that engine is quick, effortless, returns decent fuel economy as well. There is no need for diesel in this category is what I felt. The lightness you feel with a petrol upfront makes it a fun to drive experience, something diesel won't give. I hope maintenance cost is lower for petrol as it crosses 1L even with this turbo charging stuff.

The existing duster 110 gets prohibitively expensive to maintain once it crosses the 70K mark, clutch and then injectors and then timing belt changes come up as it crosses the 1L mark, all of this is very expensive and perhaps negate any savings on running it on diesel in the first place. The one in our group is meticulously maintained, clutch is already changed and it costed ~ 70K , the injectors were next as per the schedule and sure enough the car has started to jerk once in a while as it crossed 1L, injectors will cost around 1L , next is timing belt and that too is expensive.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 12:35   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
The key question still remains unanaswered:

When will it hit the roads? If ever.
Is there any doubt that this variant won't be launched very soon? I think it will be in line with the March 31st deadline.
Old 27th February 2020, 19:06   #54
Team-BHP Support

At the expo, we were told production has commenced and they are on track for launching when BS6 deadline hits.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 20:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
At the expo, we were told production has commenced and they are on track for launching when BS6 deadline hits.
Any idea if they will launch AWD version with this engine?

I was told that car will be available in both CVT and manual formats. However none of the Renault guys at expo had an idea around AWD.
Old 27th February 2020, 20:36   #56
BHPian

I emailed Renault customer care regarding 1.3 cvt and here is the reply I received

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Renault India!

Thank you for writing to Renault India Customer Care.

We acknowledge the receipt of your email regarding Renault Duster.

This is to inform you that as of now there are no immediate plans for availability of Duster CVT (1.3) variant.
Old 27th February 2020, 21:08   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The existing duster 110 gets prohibitively expensive to maintain once it crosses the 70K mark, clutch and then injectors and then timing belt changes come up as it crosses the 1L mark, all of this is very expensive and perhaps negate any savings on running it on diesel in the first place. The one in our group is meticulously maintained, clutch is already changed and it costed ~ 70K , the injectors were next as per the schedule and sure enough the car has started to jerk once in a while as it crossed 1L, injectors will cost around 1L , next is timing belt and that too is expensive.
Sorry mate the prices are a third or less of what you quoted if the duster is maintained at reliable FNG. Also clutch change is 20k odd at the FNG will last 150k kms plus, injectors if properly maintained should last a lifetime, timing belt kit OEM is 2.8k. Most parts are shared with the Logan and those OEM parts are pretty cheap. The duster is a white elephant only if maintained at the ASC, who charge exorbitantly for parts and labor and change parts before needed . I've 3 duster 110 in my close friends circle. Two have done 150k plus, one is at 100k. If you want a abuse friendly sofa and don't care about interiors or fancy features, Duster is the car to get.

P.s.- I might sound biased, but I do own a 85 ps duster which has done an abusive 210k in less than 4.5 years with flying colors.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 22:35   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Any idea if they will launch AWD version with this engine?

I was told that car will be available in both CVT and manual formats. However none of the Renault guys at expo had an idea around AWD.
No chance is my guess. The market for an AWD is just too small to even bother for Renault and put in effort.

They would rather focus on Triber and new sub 4m SUV instead with 1.0L turbo petrol engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
I emailed Renault customer care regarding 1.3 cvt and here is the reply I received

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Renault India!

Thank you for writing to Renault India Customer Care.

We acknowledge the receipt of your email regarding Renault Duster.

This is to inform you that as of now there are no immediate plans for availability of Duster CVT (1.3) variant.
Why would customer even reply to you with details?

The customer care is for current models not future models and no chance they will reveal info even if they did know.

The car was ready at the Auto Expo and that's all you need to know that it will come here and soon. They can't risk to stop Duster in between cause it's not like they sell in thousands.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 00:50   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
With no camouflaged versions doing the rounds, add to it, the first sniff coming out in February, there is a - 10000% chance that this is rolling out in April.

Leaving the launch date apart, with the price sensitive market that we have, there'll be enthusiastic takers for this if priced beyond 12 OTR and this is the bare minimum that it shall be priced at. These enthusiasts constitute a minimalistic %.

An A class engine at 12 OTR, wet dreams come true.

Last edited by Torquedo : 28th February 2020 at 00:52.
Old 29th February 2020, 13:30   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
The duster is a white elephant only if maintained at the ASC, who charge exorbitantly for parts and labor and change parts before needed . I've 3 duster 110 in my close friends circle. Two have done 150k plus, one is at 100k. If you want a abuse friendly sofa and don't care about interiors or fancy features, Duster is the car to get.

P.s.- I might sound biased, but I do own a 85 ps duster which has done an abusive 210k in less than 4.5 years with flying colors.
As I said, it is meticulously maintained by the ASC, no reason to change to FNG as reliability is Paramount. We follow service schedule, it ensures reliability to a large extend. There is no way FNG will get service bulletin, trained mechanics and proper tools, yes there are exceptions to both scenarios I agree. It certainly is not abuse friendly , the suspension gave up at around 70K as well.

The regular maintenance costs are high for a vehicle of this size and price once the odometer crosses 60 ~ 70k onwards to 1.3L , search for injector issues in our forum itself, you can see numerous posts about it for 110.

The point I'm trying to make is that current engine is expensive to maintain, a turbo petrol if (only if) cheaper to maintain on the long run makes more sense. You lose nothing and there is a lot to gain, NVH among them.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks