Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 22:52   #91
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 1.3L Petrol @ Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You are right. Everyone gets put off by its dashboard and lack of features. But changing interior and features is a lot easier than changing exterior and I read somewhere that Renault is addressing that now. That they're providing push-button start, cruise control, climate control, LED headlights etc. If that's true and if they undercut Koreans considerably on price, this would still find takers. After all, its ride quality is next to none.
Unless they redesign the dashboard completely or provide the international spec dashboard, no amount new buttons or features will lift the internal ambience of the India spec Duster. That entertainment unit is set so low, it almost feels useless. And the color combination of the seats and internal trims is the most weird I have come across.
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 18:18   #92
BHPian

Looks like the launch is around, Autocar India has driven it.

firstdrive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:27   #93
Senior - BHPian

How come Renault has made a bit of a buzz around it while Nissan simply cant get kicking?
I have a feeling that it will be the Duster which will sell more of the copies of the 1.3 turbo.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:50   #94
BHPian

I hope they do something about the interiors.

This engine seems to be a stonker and I really love the rugged old looks of the Duster. IMO the exteriors still look great. I will be test driving this one for sure. Hope the extra power negates the CVT rubber-band effect to an extent!
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 19:55   #95
BHPian

And they didn’t bother to improve interiors
Old 13th August 2020, 20:12   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
And they didn’t bother to improve interiors
I guess if they had any plan to improve the interiors, it probably would have been showcased at the Autoexpo. Even I am interested in the Duster with this engine, but then if it's the same interior then
Old 13th August 2020, 20:58   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
How come Renault has made a bit of a buzz around it while Nissan simply cant get kicking?
I have a feeling that it will be the Duster which will sell more of the copies of the 1.3 turbo.
IMO the Nissan just doesn't have the brand footing it in India. Two products on their website, Nissan Kicks, and Nissan GT-R.
While all the hum-drum is on the for the Duster to be launched with the 1.3 turbo-petrol mated with an MT. Nissan Kicks already comes in the same enthusiastic setup with a better equipment list than the Duster. A case of a great product released by a failing company. Over this, Duster is sort of like a brand in itself. It's already associated with rugged performance and capsizing the market for it would be an easier task. Given Renault doesn't goof up anything.
Gixxy.danger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 01:05   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
I hope they do something about the interiors.

This engine seems to be a stonker and I really love the rugged old looks of the Duster. IMO the exteriors still look great.
100% agree with you. The Duster exteriors have a certain charm that "modern busy" designs cannot match. If they don't bring in the modern interiors like other international markets, the Duster will die a painful death. The old interiors don't stand a chance against the competition.

Renault by now should know we Indian's deserve & demand the latest designs. I hope they aren't too busy selling the Kwid & Triber and listen to the needs of the customer.
John316_WRC is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 08:22   #99
BHPian

IMO, there are multiple issues that are still not addressed with this iteration of the Duster. Here's me listing a few Pros & Cons (specific to this Turbo trim):

1. Engine & Transmission - Check & Uncheck
a. This will definitely be the next best Enthusiast's car for a Petrol-head after the Polo GT TSI. Great engine specs.
b. No option of an AWD on this variant? Come on, Renault! Duster AWD has always been revered as a silent killer when it comes to mild off-roading. This potent engine, mated to an AWD kit will definitely attract millennial buyers (like me).
c. It'll be interesting to see what will be the km/lit output with these crazy specs and a turbo petrol. 9 km/lit sounds best bet unless there is crazy unknown tech involved to boost the efficiency.

2. Exteriors - Check & Uncheck
a. Renault did not even bother to upgrade the Tail lamps similar to the ones sold outside India. Rear end is still the sore-thumb for the Duster.
b. Alloys - Great design. Fan from the word get-go!
c. Color options - Except for this shade of Blue (which I do like), there aren't many eye-catchy color options out there for Duster.

3. Interiors - Uncheck
Hands-down outdated interiors. Need immediate attention from Renault. We Indians deserve better respect for the money we shell out to buy such off-beat variants of a decade-old vehicle.

4. Price - Uncheck
I was on the lookout for a new car early 2020 (now postponed due to COVID pandemic) and visited the Nissan dealership here in HYD, primarily to check if there were any units of Terrano available for sale. Although not a fan of Kicks, hesitantly checked the price and was shocked to say the least. Upwards of 17L INR for the same spec Turbo Kicks. I can only imagine the number of buyers Renault will have at this price point, considering both external & internal factors (below).
External: Competition like Kia, Hyundai
Internal: Decade old design & features, Pricing, no AWD option, not so great ASS, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Come with a killer pricing (<15L INR OTR) and an AWD kit, Renault will still see some movement from enthusiasts like me.
TwistOfFate! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 11:09   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Looks like the launch is around, Autocar India has driven it.
Good to see the Duster is slightly faster (11 seconds 0-100) versus the Kicks, which clocked close to 12 seconds on Autocar's 0-100 run. The issue in Kicks seemed to be aggressive traction control and rev limiter. Hopefully Renault will price it sensibly with a mid RXS spec at 9.99.
Old 14th August 2020, 14:59   #101
BHPian

Visited the local Renault showroom to enquire when the launch is, but they were not sure and said it might be on 19th or later. Also sales training is planned for 19th. The SA was of the opinion that the top end 1.3 might be close to 15 lacs OTR and not beyond according to their estimates.

I believe they already have 150 bookings in place, not sure how true.

On the 1.5 Petrol, a single test drive vehicle is shared between 9 showrooms was his reply when asked for a test drive !!
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 15:10   #102
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster Launch alert videos

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 17:37   #103
Senior - BHPian

Get ready to feel the power like never before

Renault Duster 1.3L Petrol @ Auto Expo 2020-20200814_154242.jpg

https://twitter.com/RenaultIndia/sta...637516290?s=19
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 20:09   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post

c. It'll be interesting to see what will be the km/lit output with these crazy specs and a turbo petrol. 9 km/lit sounds best bet unless there is crazy unknown tech involved to boost the efficiency.
These 1.3 Turbo motors are super efficient I heard (some insider info), the efficiency figures were around 13 to 15 kmpl. Seems very promising considering the power it offers.

Kicks 1.3T also offers around similar mileage figures, so I guess it is true.
starke is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 00:06   #105
BHPian

Really excited for this launch. So excited that I could not resist myself from giving a TD of Nissan Kicks powered by the same engine. Top end model of this car comes at 17.5 L on road in Bangalore. Right now the top end Duster petrol RXZ ex-showroom is not even 10 lakhs. What can be the launch price of this car then? Will it overshoot Kicks and try to compete with Creta/Seltos Turbo Petrol ? Or will it check the OTR price below 15 Lakhs to kill the only car in Nissan showroom and ask them to pack up from India ? (Not considering GTR or forthcoming Magnet)

Its going to be an interesting war to watch ahead. If this car falls around same range or even a bit higher than Sonet/Venue turbo petrols then I am sure Duster will win the race. Hope people will honor the new lion king ignoring the sunroofs and tablets. I think Sonet may be caught off guard since its turbo petrol is not even coming with MT. Overheard that its still under discussion.

No doubt this is the best way to throw a success party to the Duster by offering this monstrous engine. Kicks gave me a kick with a linear and sharp power thrust from 1750 RPM. In few seconds it hits 90 Kmph in 3rd gear and yes, it still can leap forward. The top model felt premium with leather upholstery, huge tyres and a solid built. It does not have sunroof or wireless charging, but it knows how to attract drivers. Hope Duster follow suit.
livetodrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed