Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 15:45   #46
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh

Price wise it was as expected but I fail to understand the 2 lakh price gap between petrol and diesel. Yes the diesel is more powerful and the go to engine for this car as petrol mileage will probably be too low but considering today's fuel rates, 2L price gap will be too much for a non enthusiast less informed chauffeur driven buyer. Otherwise it's a good car and someone who is looking to buy Seltos htx or creta top variant should take a look at this car.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 15:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Here's how the facelifted Tucson lines up on the price graph against the Jeep Compass, Skoda Karoq and Honda CR-V.

Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh-20200714_155135.jpg

Source :Autocar India
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:16   #48
BANNED

The Skoda Karoq ( only loss is 1.5ltr engine ) looks so much sophisticated compared to this. On sidelines, People who have been comparing Seltos/Creta to Harrier would now compare with Tucson too.
Old 14th July 2020, 16:23   #49
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2020 at 11:21.
Govardhansupra is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th July 2020, 16:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
The Skoda Karoq ( only loss is 1.5ltr engine ) looks so much sophisticated compared to this. On sidelines, People who have been comparing Seltos/Creta to Harrier would now compare with Tucson too.
I would put Tucson in the list if I were to look at a decently powerful petrol mid-size SUV. If one is wary of DCT reliability, then the Seltos, Creta, Hector ,Compass and Karoq do not make the cut. Its only Tucson with the Torque convertor and the CVT based CRV and there would be a 5-6 lac price difference between the two.
Old 14th July 2020, 17:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I understand people comparing Seltos/Creta against Harrier and perhaps stretching it to the Compass, but really doubt people would cross shop with the Tucson in this case. Seltos/Creta max out at 17.35 lacs, whereas Tucson starts at 22.3/24.3. Thats a 5/7 lacs difference. To be honest that looks like significantly above, albeit you get much more for your money too.
Old 14th July 2020, 21:29   #52
BHPian

The Tucson is now a much better product than before. But on the other hand, I see the Elantra and feel sad.

I simply do not understand that why Hyundai cannot put the same diesel engine in the Elantra and give it the same power output of 182 hp.
Hyundai can keep both the 1.5L diesel as well as the 2.0L diesel on sale, and mark the 2.0 as a sport version or something. Just a set of sassy alloys, and the perfect recipe would be achieved.

This would make the Elantra a killer product. It would easily satisfy the needs of both the chauffeur driven and the enthusiast. Not to mention that it would also be the best seller in its segment. It would steal all the customers from the Civic.
Hope Hyundai doesn't miss this opportunity.
A.M. is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 21:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What appears/feels sophisticated is based on what one personally values/prioritizes. But if you go by the numbers, Tucson falls in the category/segment occupied by Tiguan (5 seater which is discontinued now) or old CRV (new one has grown in to a 5+2 seater). If Hyundai launches Santa Fe, it would be in the same segment as Kodiaq/Tiguan Allspace.
Similarly, the Karoq is a car which is in the same segment as Creta/Seltos. To many (including me) Karoq is much more desirable than the Creta and some people are willing to pay a huge premium. But it still is a Creta category car and the Tucson is half segment higher.
Since both fall in the same price bracket, some buyers are going to take a look at both and decide based on what matters to them.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 01:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh

Ticks all the boxes except the interior layout. If only Karoq came with this engine and gearbox combo in TDi spec.
Old 15th July 2020, 09:10   #55
BHPian

With XUV500 AWD, Safari, Hexa, Scorpio 4WD not available currently,anyone looking out for a comfortable family car with that added peace of AWD system Compass and Tucson are looking like only two options with desirable ASS. And both these options make a good case for themselves they do look kinda overpriced but for what they are there really aren't that many alternatives.

In fact with road conditions getting better I can see a case where someone looking to buy an Endeavour/Fortuner can opt for a Compass/Tucson + Thar/Jimny combo to get the best of both worlds.
darkLightning is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 10:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. View Post
The Tucson is now a much better product than before. But on the other hand, I see the Elantra and feel sad.

I simply do not understand that why Hyundai cannot put the same diesel engine in the Elantra and give it the same power output of 182 hp.
Hyundai can keep both the 1.5L diesel as well as the 2.0L diesel on sale, and mark the 2.0 as a sport version or something. Just a set of sassy alloys, and the perfect recipe would be achieved.

This would make the Elantra a killer product. It would easily satisfy the needs of both the chauffeur driven and the enthusiast. Not to mention that it would also be the best seller in its segment. It would steal all the customers from the Civic.
Hope Hyundai doesn't miss this opportunity.
. It is quite sad to see sub 120 bhp power for diesel variants of both Elantra & Civic. This 182 bhp would be a marvelous addition to this segment and something the premium sedan buyer would be happy to pay for!

As far as Tucson is concerned, the vehicle seems to have been given a new life though I wish the interiors did look more premium & not similar to Hyundai cars in smaller segments. Karoq is clearly miles ahead here!
slayer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 12:24   #57

It's basically a BS6 update considering this facelifted version has been around for some time in Korea. To add to its list of cons is the temp tire that comes only with the diesel version because of the shallow spare wheel well, which has been made that way to accommodate the 15L urea tank and the reshaped fuel tank.
PS : Petrol version gets a full sized wheel.
Guzzoline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:15   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant pricing!

Back in 2018 when we were shopping between the Tucson & Tiguan, the Tucson offered a very competent overall package with it's softer ride quality, powerful 2L Diesel engine, etc. It was only let down by features (addressed in 2018-2019 with AWD, Sunroof, etc.), and the bland interiors.
The update addresses the last point, and given it's price - it will be a very good option for those upgrading from the Creta, etc., and will give a tough fight to the cramped Compass, overpriced Civic, more expensive and petrol only Karoq & CRV.
The Kodiaq & Tiguan All Space end up in a higher price bracket + have 7 seats - but when you consider that back in 2018 the Tucson could take the fight to the Tiguan's doorstep and beat it in a few areas - the facelift is honestly not a bad deal!
lamborghini is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:20   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Brilliant pricing!

......- the facelift is honestly not a bad deal!
The pricing of Tucson BS6(27L ex showroom for GLS 4wd diesel) at almost the same price of the corresponding BS4 model is surely not a bad deal at all. Particularly with the addition on some new bits as the new 8 speed AT, powered co-driver seat, etc.
However, this is shortcharging someone who is looking to upgrade from a Creta to Tucson as one will be missing features like the ventilated seats, larger touchscreen etc. How does Hyundai want it's own salesmen to justify the lack of features in Tucson present in the much cheaper Verna, Creta, etc. For example, just have a look at the keys of Verna which feels more premium than the keys of Tucson which is shared with the much cheaper models such as i20, grand i10, creta, etc.
It's as if Hyundai is very happy selling Cretas and Vernas and not interested much in selling Tucson.
It's really disheartening for people who would really like to go for Tucson for the punchy 185 ps 2.0 CRDI. It's really surprising that both the leading full size SUVs in Indian market, the Ford Endeavour and the Toyota Fortunner, offer less powerful engines than the 2.0 CRDI of Tucson.
axe_deo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 19:51   #60
BHPian

Subject: Hyundai Tucson 2020: test drive first impressions and other info

Mods: I'm not sure if this should be in it's own thread or it is ok to post here. Please move it as appropriate. Thank you.

Hi all, a long post on a Saturday evening.

History and background:

I'm in the market for a good car to replace my 14 year old Swift ZXi. I wanted a modern car with all safety features, automatic transmission and fun to drive. I have been looking for almost a year, and had almost zeroed in on the Kia Seltos in February of this year. We took a test drive and I was quite happy with the Seltos. Note that I'm coming from a decent but pretty old car, so my bar was not very high. My wife had a couple of complaints though: one, the suspension was stiff and she could feel all the bumps in the road (this was on the Outer Ring Road, Bangalore), it could even be worse on not-so-great roads. Second, she didn't like the looks of the 10.25" touchscreen, saying it "jumps out of the dashboard". I didn't care much for the touchscreen either way, since I'm coming from a 14 year old car with a radio/CD player and no screens of any kind. The suspension - after reading many Team-BHP threads, it seemed that I would have to probably swap to Michelin tyres and also wait a couple of months for the car to break-in. With all that, she agreed and I booked the car.

In a matter of weeks, the corona-virus started to ramp up. The Seltos dealer called me about a month after my booking and said that the vehicle could be ready (this was just before the lock down started). I was looking at the news and somehow I felt that things are going to be bad, so I told the dealer that I won't take delivery now. In hindsight, this turned out to be a good decision since the lock down hit a week or two later and, well, we've been stuck at home since.

Then my wife read about/saw the Tucson and she loved it. She contacted the dealer (Trident Hyundai) and one of their executives immediately got back with a lot of details about their upcoming 2020 face lift. After speaking to them on the phone, we agreed to take a test drive once things improved and then decide. The dealer made a booking in our name, but I'm not sure if it was a correct booking since he didn't charge us anything.

The corona-virus situation got worse and the car launch got delayed. Finally, the car launched in July and the dealer called us again. I told him that we were interested but I'm not ready to buy yet given that all of us were stuck at home. My Dad has the Arogya Setu app and he regularly scares us with "100 cases in 1 km radius" and so on. Come September and the lock down is mostly gone in Bangalore. My (or my wife's) office is not going to open any time soon, but the roads are getting busier and things are happening. Team-BHPians are posting travelogues and I'm starting to get antsy. I want to take advantage of the lesser traffic and get out of the house.

The dealer called us again a few days back and said he can arrange a test drive. We jumped at this chance to get out of the house, uh, I mean, check out the car and set an appointment for Saturday. Well, we are done with the drive now and I will write about our impressions. Disclaimer: please bear in mind that our impressions are all subjective. Also, I'm coming from a much older car. Finally, we both liked the car even before this test drive and I'm sure that this colours our opinions. End disclaimer.

Car: Tucson 2020 face lift version
Model: 4WD Diesel AT GLS (we are interested in the 2WD one, but the test drive vehicle was 4WD)
Colour: Starry Night

Looks: Car looks very good from the back and side. Car looks fine from the front, my wife loves it but personally I prefer the Seltos looks. Interiors are all in black, leather and some plastic, quite a premium look. I didn't do a detailed check of spaces and so on.

Couple of photos. I have edited the SA's face out, apologies for my poor editing skills.

[ATTACH=Tuscon_Front_View.jpg]Front View[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=Tuscon_Rear_View.JPG]Rear View[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=Tuscon_Side_View.JPG]Side View[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=Tuscon_Inside_View.JPG]Inside View from rear seat[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=Tuscon_Inside_View_Sunroof.JPG]Inside View showing Sunroof in clear glass mode[/ATTACH]

The test drive car was "Starry Night". This colour looks blue in the pictures, but more grey in person. My wife was dead set on black, but I would be fine with the Starry Night. The SA said he could arrange for us to see both the colours side by side sometime, if we want to decide later.

Driving position and comfort: driver seat was nice, power adjustable seat with good under thigh support. The ability to raise the seat up helps my poor back (I'm 5'11" and work a desk job). Nitpicks: I wish they had a memory function to remember the settings. The steering wheel can be tilted up and it was ok for me, but I would have been happier with one of those truncated steering wheels (not sure what they are called but the one with a square bottom).

Rear space is decent with good legroom. Given the slightly raised floor in the middle, it seems to be better suited for two adults and a child rather than three adults, but three can manage if they are "medium size". The rear seats can recline quite a bit. You can also fold the rear seat completely forward, which either increases the boot space or lets someone lie down.

Boot space looked quite ample. Unfortunately, the diesel version gets a smaller spare tyre. The SA said that this was due to making space for the Urea tank to meet BS-VI norms.

The panoramic sunroof looks amazing. It has three modes: open, clear glass and closed (my names). I don't think we will ever open it, but the "clear glass" mode was on throughout our drive and it really lights up the car.

Driving: We did a 1 hour test drive. The SA (from Trident Hyundai, Bangalore) brought the car to our home and my wife and I got on. I took the car to the Outer Ring Road and drove to Kalyan Nagar from HAL. Then to Bellandur and back to HAL via Yamalur and old Airport Road. I got a mix of city roads, ring road and my home to office route. There was a decent amount of traffic for a Saturday but it wasn't crowded at any point.

The cabin insulation was "amazing", to use my wife's words. At low speed, you can barely hear the engine hum. At higher speeds, even that goes away. Road and traffic noises are pretty muted. This is all without any music playing. If you played something (and we did try that also), you can't really hear anything from outside. On an aside: I have driven most of my (driving) life with the windows rolled down. Unfortunately, given the traffic and pollution in the last 5-6 years, I was forced to pull up the windows and drive.

The car was very smooth to drive. In particular, my wife who complained that the Seltos felt too bumpy, was very satisfied with the suspension. Some of the rough patches on the way back (via Yamalur) were handled pretty smoothly. I have only ever owned manual transmission cars, but I have driven automatic transmission cars on my infrequent visits to the US, so I had no trouble there - my left leg was quite happy.

The engine was quite responsive and overtaking was easy. I tried the three drive modes: comfort (normal), eco and sport. It seemed to me like: two, three and one second lag. Sport was the most responsive with only one second of lag when you press the accelerator down. Comparing with my Swift, I can rev up in 2nd gear and overtake even faster, but that's the price you pay for an automatic, I guess. I have driven a friend's Honda Jazz (CVT) and you simply could not overtake quickly without using the paddle shifters. All in all, I would say: good enough for me but not "wow". Note that I did not have the chance to speed up beyond 60-70 in the ring road traffic. I think I only touched 80kmph once and it started to beep.

The steering was fine. I am a sedate driver anyway and don't really do any high speed manoeuvres, so I felt that the steering was ok for regular driving.

One feature that I found interesting: Auto Hold. If enabled, the car will not roll forward if you come to a halt for a few seconds. This seems to useful at signals, where otherwise you would have your leg on the brake. I asked the SA if I should be in neutral in the signals and he said "no, just engage auto hold". There is an indicator on the MID for it. When you want to move, just press the accelerator as usual and it will disengage. Cool technology, and probably more useful on slopes and hilly areas.

One of our concerns was parking: I live in an apartment and have a corner parking slot, with a pillar to my left and cars to my right and behind. It is a bit of a dance to put my car in (I park it reversed, so taking it out is straightforward). The SA was kind enough to park the Tuscon in my parking slot and we were relieved that it fit in just fine. My wife says that the reverse camera helped (she was in the car when the SA was parking it). Apparently the car comes with front parking sensors as well. I don't think it has a 360 degree camera, since the SA didn't say anything about it.

Some features that the SA talked about:

- When you turn the steering wheel past a point, a "side lighting" lamp comes on that helps you see the corner. This looks like a useful feature.

- The rain wipers are auto-sensing, we saw it in action when it started to drizzle a bit in our drive.

- Automatic tailgate. I think this is one of those cool features that I will show off to others but not really use myself. Anyway, it's there. When you come out of the car with your key and start near the boot for a few seconds, it will beep a lot and then open. You can control the height to which it opens by pressing the close button for a few seconds. To close, press the close button. It is supposedly anti-pinching and will stop if it senses an obstruction. Pretty sure I'm not going to use my fingers to test it . My office (and most malls) have this weird security check where they open the boot and see if any weapons are lying around in plain sight.

- The side view mirrors are electric. I'm not sure if they have an auto-fold option, if not, one will have to remember to fold them whenever they park.

- The AC has a driver and passenger zone. There are separate temperature controls for both zones. There are two rear AC vents as well and they are connected to the corresponding front zones / controls. The engineer in me can't help wondering about the rear middle seat: do they get an average? Cooked on one side and frozen on the other?

- Bluetooth connectivity worked fine from my wife's phone. Wireless charging worked on my phone. We didn't test out Apple CarPlay since we didn't have the cable. There is apparently a BlueLink app which can do fun things, including switching on your AC and so on.

Stuff I discussed with him that may be useful to others. Please feel free to mention stuff that I should have discussed, I can contact them and get the info.

- Accessories that come with the vehicle: floor mats, perfume and idol of choice. That's it. The SA mentioned that nothing else is really needed.

- Wait times and order status: for three of the colours, the wait time is about 2-3 weeks right now. For Starry Night, the wait time is 4 to 6 weeks (he mentioned some delay with the company that does the painting). There may be a chance that the vehicle is already available, but usually they assemble it on demand.

- No discounts available, they have kept the prices somewhat same between the old and new models even though BS-VI and some features were added.

- Warranty is one of: 3 years / unlimited or 4 years / 60000km or 5years / 50000 km. This is included in the standard price. If you take the 3yr warranty, you have an option of extending it to another year by paying extra, at the time of delivery.

- I mentioned PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). He said that it is fine for them and it can happen at their showroom. Apparently 1-2 out of 10 customers do a PDI, so they are used to it. Thanks to fellow Team-BHPians for paving the way.

- The price list from them has a huge insurance premium. I mentioned that I could get better pricing outside and he said he was fine with my going outside and even advised me on the potential price I would get. I told him that if he could match the "outside" prices with maybe a small difference, I could take it from them for no hassle. He will check back on this once I decide to buy the car. I am glad that they are very open about all this.

- They can buy my old Swift. They can even send someone to my house to evaluate it. I mentioned about insurance no-claim bonus (NCB) transfer and he said that it can be done only after the Swift is sold, which may take 1-2 months. According to him, once sold with all the paperwork, I can approach the insurance company to transfer the NCB and they will reimburse the extra premium paid. Apparently, it cannot be done any faster unless I sell my old car first, wait for the papers and then buy the new car.

- Once the PDI is done, I have to pay them the full amount. If by cheque, they will hold for 2-3 days until it clears. I can also do RTGS transfer, whether in one go or across many days as per my bank restrictions. They will start the registration process only after they get the money. This is all fine with me, just wondering if there is any way to speed things up.

- On the day of registration, we can choose a number plate from the current series and within the next 150 numbers by paying Rs. 5000. If we want a number in the current series but not within the next 150, the charges are Rs. 25000. If we want a number from a future series, the charge is Rs. 80000. Personally, I don't care but my wife wanted to choose a number, hence the discussion.

- I have the price list and breakup. I am not sure if it is allowed to post it here, if it is ok and someone wants the info, please let me know.

Now I have to decide on the actual purchase. My thinking is that I will wait for a month or so and see if the general situation changes. Unless something drastic happens, I may go ahead with buying this sometime in Oct.

This is the end of my long post. Hope this was useful. Thank you and stay safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh-tuscon_front_view.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh-tuscon_inside_view.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh-tuscon_inside_view_sunroof.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh-tuscon_rear_view.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson Facelift @ Auto Expo 2020. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 22.30 lakh-tuscon_side_view.jpg  

QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (26) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks