Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 22:50   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I'm neither a software engineer nor a web designer but I don't believe that in this age, updating a website is so hard for a big company like Volkswagen. Their Polo section of website is nothing but crap. The Polo shows 1L MPI and 1.5TDI both engine options. The Polo GT section shows 1L MPI 76PS and 7speed DSG (both of which are incorrect). And when we scroll down, it shows 1.2L TSI engine and 1.5TDi too!! All this when dealers have got the individual variant wise pricelist.
Of course. All the up-to-date pages should have been ready to swap in as the information went public. Pretty basic stuff.
Old 10th March 2020, 00:13   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
What is the difference between Highline TSI AT and GT TSI?
I think the Highline Plus AT gets the armrest and the rear air vents, cornering headlights while the GT TSI gets ESP, hill hold and TC functions. I am making these assumptions based on the features distribution in the BS4 models.
Old 10th March 2020, 01:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

While the VW's decision to move away from DSG is based on business logic , why can't they keep both the options on? DSG for enthusiasts who are willing to take a risk and TC for 'play it safe' car buyers.

They can take a leaf out of Kia's book where they offered 7 DCT for the enthusiasts who wants to bite the bullet and a 6 speed TC for the weak hearted if I may say so.That way VW would've quenched both genre of buyers and netted them in the kitty in the bargain.No question of enthusiasts turning away nor the play safe Joes- a double barrel of sorts !
Old 10th March 2020, 05:22   #139
Senior - BHPian

17lacs for an old Vento with a 3 pot motor, paired with a Torque Converter! That is a lot.

While I appreciate the other bonuses you get with a VW, such as a top notch interior, the motor is too important to ignore in this case. They could have atleast retained the 1.2l Tsi.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 08:29   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
17lacs for an old Vento with a 3 pot motor, paired with a Torque Converter! That is a lot.

While I appreciate the other bonuses you get with a VW, such as a top notch interior, --
That is the reason they consider to be playing in the Premium segment only and not in Mass market
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 12:34   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Look at the price of the Vento Comfortline TSI MT and the Highline TSI MT. They look exactly the same! Same issue in the pricelist I shared.
This issue with pricing was there even for the BSIV Comfortline and Highline variants of the Vento. Both the Volkswagen website as well as the Carwale website still show exactly the same ex-showroom price for these two. However, there is a difference of only Rs 4000 between the on-road prices, which too does not make any sense.

But as per confirmation from the dealer in Kolkata, there was a difference of about Rs 60k between the on-road prices of the two, despite the website mentioning similar ex-showroom prices.

They could not confirm the BSVI pricing, since they are yet to receive the price list, but they expect a similar price difference between the Comfortline and Highline variants even now.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-screenshot_20200310122836.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-screenshot_20200310122848.jpg  

shankha007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 13:46   #142
Senior - BHPian

^^
LOL. VW India website always sucked and it continues to suck, so nothing new there
Also, if you notice, the pictures are all for the highline plus model.

I am extremely disappointed with the pricing of the new Polo/Vento. They replaced a 4-cyliner engine with a lower capacity 3-cylinder one and the cutting-edge DSG gearbox with a traditional TC. And even then, there is no reduction in price?

As per the Skoda-VW India director, Stephen Knapp, the entire point of offering a TC was to offer a lower entry point and widen the customer base. So, it is difficult to understand what's the logic behind all this.

Also, the Polo and Vento are 10-year old models. The least VW could have done is to add some features as part of the BS6 transition so that they would stand a better chance to fight the newer competition. I understand that sweeping changes won't be possible in a 10-year old model but at least, they could offer features which were always available in the older generation Polo/Vento sold abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Requoting my post from page 1, i am so glad i have held on to my vento seeing the attorciuous pricing that VW has come up with. I completely agree with a post above, keep aside a lac or so for DSG overhaul(in case of a failure), and continue enjoying the 1.2 DSG + TSI combo in the current car, it's just a hoot to drive.
+1. I also bought the Vento TSI few months back and am extremely happy with the decision as the 1.2TSI+DSG is so much fun to drive and there's lot of tuning potential to bump up the power.

Last edited by adimicra : 10th March 2020 at 13:48.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 14:20   #143
BHPian

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque conve...

Volkswagen India website has shown wrong numbers before as well. I remember they used to show Polo GT TDI with 230 NM of torque. I had mailed them to correct that figure
Now showing same price for the Comfortline and Highline variants is blasphemous IMO. It's better to say that 'Vento range starts at 9.99 lakhs' provided they don't have a trendline variant

Last edited by Waspune : 10th March 2020 at 14:23.
Old 13th March 2020, 10:56   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I'm neither a software engineer nor a web designer but I don't believe that in this age, updating a website is so hard for a big company like Volkswagen.
Thanks to Sanket Patil for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Seems to be a mistake from VW India.
VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-screenshot_20200312193808368_com.android.chrome.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 11:56   #145
BHPian

I have attached the pricelist of the Polo and Vento shared by the only dealer we have in Kolkata. They seem to have dropped the Vento Comfortline altogether. Road Tax amount mentioned is for 5 years.

With the new Verna and City knocking at the door, i expected VW to act a lot quicker. The dealer in Kolkata has been allocated 4 nos. Polo MPI only, with a mix of Trendline and Comfortline variants. No word on the Highline Polo and Vento at all.

After experiencing my colleague's 1.6 TDI Vento for months, the City and Verna seems less substantial. I know it is a weird feeling and very hard to express, but it is what it is. Have been waiting for months for the 1.0 TSI with the manual transmission (i am an MT person, may be it is an age thing), and VW is seriously testing my patience.

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: pdf POLO_2020_BS_VI.PDF (19.2 KB, 448 views)
File Type: pdf Vento_2020_BS_VI.PDF (2.19 MB, 302 views)
shankha007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:29   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I would say smart move. I drove couple of VW/Skoda DSGs and wasn't really as impressed as some users are. Sure, the shift-times are mili-seconds faster than a TC but the advantage seemed lost in bumper-to-bumper traffic where they jerked. Not as bad as AMTs but certainly not TC-smooth. And, b-to-b traffic is where an AT car is supposed to shine. And, then, there is that constant fear of break-down. I say good. Better to have a worry-free driving experience and ownership. First Ford and now VW.
Fully agree, having driven TQ's (over 14 years) and then DCT and DSG (last 4 years).

The newer TQ's have grown up and come pretty close to the efficiency of the latters. Hence for city traffic the latters don't give any real advantage, but only increase maintenance headaches while delivering choppy rides.
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:38   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopGTkrish View Post
Would be interesting to see how their Marketing team would get the message out in public.
VW Polo GT Marketing Team - Come buy the new Polo GT because the Hyundai i20 dealership is too far away from your home.
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 18:05   #148
BHPian

I visited the Trivandrum VW showroom today and had a brief chat with the sales head. He said as per the information received the Highline Plus will get a 1-liter 3 cylinder TSI engine with 90 PS and the GT will get a 1 liter 3 cylinder TSI engine with 110 PS. This is how they will differentiate the Highline Plus and GT.

Last edited by anoopash : 13th March 2020 at 18:07.
anoopash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 15:56   #149
BHPian

I know VAG has dropped the idea of having a small diesel engine in India. However, I imagine that the torque converter AT could have suited the 1.5TDI engine in Vento/Rapid perhaps better than the DQ200 DSG. Having driven DQ200 paired with 1.2TSI / 1.5TDI versions of the Vento back to back, personally I felt the quick shifting nature of this DSG (which is faster than a DQ250) was better suited to the petrol engine.

Maybe my comparisons are bit skewed as I enjoy the MT with 1.6TDI Polo and love to lazily drive the torque wave. The benefits of super-fast shifting box is better exploited with a quick revving engine, which is quite rare among diesels.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 09:11   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Polo GT: Polo Highline Plus seems a better value proposition

The 2020 Polo GT shares its 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbo-petrol engine with the Polo Highline Plus and even the BS6 Vento. This means the BS6 Polo GT TSI is 5hp more powerful than its BS4 counterpart.
Quote:
Unlike the BS4 Polo GT TSI - which had a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission only - the BS6 model only gets a 6-speed manual as standard.

Priced at Rs 9.60 lakh, the BS6 Polo GT costs a whopping Rs 1.57 lakh more than the manual gearbox-equipped Polo Highline Plus. It costs about Rs 47,000 more than even the Polo Highline Plus AT - the one that's equipped with the new 6-speed torque convertor automatic unit.
Quote:
Polo GT gets all the features and safety kit available on the Highline Plus, but adds a larger rear spoiler, blacked-out outside rearview mirrors, a black contrast roof, GT badges on the grille and tailgate, and a decal on the C-pillar. The interior of the VW Polo GT is near-identical to the Highline Plus, but expect silver scuff plates on the door sill (with GT embossing) to be on offer.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th April 2020 at 09:15.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed